Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

47 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Well i have 1 of each and there's only 1 warscroll for plague priests so i assumed it doesn't actually matter as they'd both get the same rules?

"Plague priest with plague censer" is the one you want. Has a plague tome which, once per game, can target an enemy unit and you get to-roll all wound rolls against that unit. 

Warp stone tipped staff priest has a casting debuff to enemy wizards within 6" range. [insert poop emoji here]

IMG_3797.PNG

IMG_3798.PNG

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

"Plague priest with plague censer" is the one you want. Has a plague tome which, once per game, can target an enemy unit and you get to-roll all wound rolls against that unit. 

Warp stone tipped staff priest has a casting debuff to enemy wizards within 6" range. [insert poop emoji here]

Wow I've never seen those warscrolls. I have GA Chaos and use the GW site and they have a single warscroll for priests which I've always used. Are these in Pestilens tome?

Report from the Field:

Had a very small game with my fledgling army: Rotigus, 10x bears, 5x Kings, 5X Kings, Lord of blights vs. Daughters of Kaine (morathie, sisters, cauldron and some other hero).

Impressions:

A unit of buffed sisters went through a unit of blight kings in one combat like butter. 

Only being able to put 3 wounds on morathie (or whatever her name is) per turn is a stupid, lazy rule.

LofB -3 rend grenade is very nice.

Tree/movement buffs are pointless vs. an aggressive attacking army.

Rotigus is really hard to kill. (Last man standing on the board after 4 rounds).

I need a Glotkin

Edit: it was buffed witch elves 

1 minute ago, annarborhawk said:

Report from the Field:

Had a very small game with my fledgling army: Rotigus, 10x bears, 5x Kings, 5X Kings, Lord of blights vs. Daughters of Kaine (morathie, sisters, cauldron and some other hero).

Impressions:

A unit of buffed sisters went through a unit of blight kings in one combat like butter. 

Only being able to put 3 wounds on morathie (or whatever her name is) per turn is a stupid, lazy rule.

LofB -3 rend grenade is very nice.

Tree/movement buffs are pointless vs. an aggressive attacking army.

Rotigus is really hard to kill. (Last man standing on the board after 4 rounds).

I need a Glotkin

Glottkin is overrated.

In my club you can often play against Wanderer, Karadron and mono-shooting Stormcast. Against them, the Glottkin is killed in one round. I will not spend 420 points in this such of fragile model.

19 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Glottkin is overrated.

In my club you can often play against Wanderer, Karadron and mono-shooting Stormcast. Against them, the Glottkin is killed in one round. I will not spend 420 points in this such of fragile model.

He's not overrated, he's vulnerable. Nurgle players be like "Look at the GUO'S command ability, how amazing!". Glottkin's one is easily worth the point different alone, let alone his spell and melee/shooting attacking. It should be possible to keep him out of range if need be, because he is quite easy to remove from the table, but that hardly makes him overrated. Most big characters are vulnerable in the same way. 

1 minute ago, hughwyeth said:

He's not overrated, he's vulnerable. Nurgle players be like "Look at the GUO'S command ability, how amazing!". Glottkin's one is easily worth the point different alone, let alone his spell and melee/shooting attacking. It should be possible to keep him out of range if need be, because he is quite easy to remove from the table, but that hardly makes him overrated. Most big characters are vulnerable in the same way. 

Totally agree. Poor old Glottkin is fragile, probably due to a bad childhood history. But the freaking 14" bubble (make it almost 20" because of his base for each sides) can reach almost all your army, anywhere on the table, if you position well. And it's a game changer.

I try to make list where I put so many juicy target and put the big boy harder to reach. They try to waste all their time, spell and movement hitting him, and then suffer the consequence of his command trait while watching him heal back up. If they dont, he's still a menace that's coming slowly but surely up there. He's not a front liner, at least not for the first few turns.

Another thing to consider is terrain. If the other army can hit him with all their spells/shooting in one turn, time to add more bigger terrain over the map. He should be able to hide a bit, at least from a part of the enemy's army. In a open field he's just a big punching bag, like any big boy without mortal wound's save.

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

Agree. But how you keep him out of range against a mono-dropping Karadron or "enter by any side" Wanderer?

Unless you play a 10x10 Marauders just for filling the field it is very hard to make the Glotkinn survive. :(

9 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Agree. But how you keep him out of range against a mono-dropping Karadron or "enter by any side" Wanderer?

Unless you play a 10x10 Marauders just for filling the field it is very hard to make the Glotkinn survive. :(

I have no experience against Kharadron, but at the very least it should take a lot of firepower to get through 18 wounds which should enable you to get some plaguebearers or other units onto objectives untouched. I think in a tournament environment where Kharadron and Wanderer would likely be 1 or 2 games out of 5 at most, Glottkin is still a great general to have. If you're playing a one off against Kharadron, then I imagine a GUO would be better.

If an enemy can take 18 wounds with a  4+ save out in one turn (Glottkin), I can't see how a GUO with 16 wounds at 4+/5++ would survive the first turn any more than a glottkin. You'd need 22 wounds to go through it's save to kill it on average, with it's disguntingly resilient rule compared to 18 for a glottkin. 

It's still point that terrain plays a big part. If an army can get most of it's firepower focused on any unit on the table, you're playing on a desert barren wasteland, and it actually helps the shooting army. 

I play with castles ruins, walls, almost twice as tall as the Glottkin. Knowing that he can outshoot you first turn, you hide him the best you can, you bait him to shoot something else, that you buffed considerably before, you aim for cover save for the other bait units. 

I'm still pretty shocked that Morathi can last 3 to 4 turns assured, while the Glottkin can be dropped after only a turn, but it's still possible to negate it and then deal with the shooting so that it mitigate a bit of the incoming wounds.

15 minutes ago, Poltron said:

It's still point that terrain plays a big part. If an army can get most of it's firepower focused on any unit on the table, you're playing on a desert barren wasteland, and it actually helps the shooting army. 

I play with castles ruins, walls, almost twice as tall as the Glottkin. Knowing that he can outshoot you first turn, you hide him the best you can, you bait him to shoot something else, that you buffed considerably before, you aim for cover save for the other bait units. 

I'm still pretty shocked that Morathi can last 3 to 4 turns assured, while the Glottkin can be dropped after only a turn, but it's still possible to negate it and then deal with the shooting so that it mitigate a bit of the incoming wounds.

I think with Glottkin there's a balance to have of power/buffs it gives out vs resilience. The issue is Nurgle overall should be pretty resilient, which Glottkin doesn't feel like, despite the 18 wounds. I mean 5 blightkings have 21 wounds for 160 points, so perhaps increasing it's wounds would help. 

GUO is much much more resilient because simply he can take artifacts and have an endless gift.  Where if glotkin could take artifacts you give him the fecund flask every time. 

The fact is he should have a 3+ save and if you need to cast mystic shield on him to give it to him aritifically so be it. His to hit debuff, command ability, unqiue spell and insane damage in spit attack is worth it. 

Plus I spent so much fraking time painting him and doing a scenic base that I will be taking him most games. I would take the harbinger in conjunction with a warshine to double up on the saves and build around that. But with bligjtkings going down and getting an extra 5 wounds per unit minimum, multiple ways to heal with the battletome and the harbinger point increase..he is hardly as mandatory as he was before the tome

Played a game yesterday against Nagash First Cohort list.

Nagash, 2 Morghasts, 40 skellies, 6 spirit hosts, necromancer, 10 skellies, 10 skellies.

I used:
Rotigus (340) -Lore of Virulence: Favoured Poxes
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General - Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  - Artefact: The Witherstave  
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus The Leechlord (140)- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
Sorcerer (120) Artefact: Muttergrub  
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)                                       5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
30 x Chaos Marauders (180)
- Axes
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
- Mark of Chaos: Nurgle
Plaguetouched Warband (100)                       chaos warshrine
Total:  2000

Played Knife to the heart.

Was a really tense game but managed to take the minor victory. Nagash is tough and only managed to spend the game babysitting him while the rest of my army did it’s thing. Was fun how durable the list is!

I just find that for a lump of massive regenerating flesh, it should last for more than a turn or 2, and that rules like Morathi should be given to someone like him, or you make him regen a static 9  wound per turn so that people need to  commit more. When you lose 14 wounds in one turn, you know that the d3 you get back wont matter next turn anyway. 

Or like Belakor, just one save, but immune to rend. So a 3+/4+ immune to rend would be good too.

Having said that, I'm playing him every games I can, not only for his abilities, but because he looks badass Nurgle to me.

48 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

Was a really tense game but managed to take the minor victory. Nagash is tough and only managed to spend the game babysitting him while the rest of my army did it’s thing. Was fun how durable the list is!

Good job, I really think Nagash isnt meant to be dealt with anyway, the objectives should make you win this.

Just now, Poltron said:

Good job, I really think Nagash isnt meant to be dealt with anyway, the objectives should make you win this.

The problem is you have to deal with him in some fashion.

with 9 spells, negating all your magic and a 14” potentially 20” move and some good attacking profiles.

If you don’t do something he just eats your army, thankfully I managed to get him only eating marauders ? (180 points for 800 seems a fair trade)

33 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, you dont send your hammers and waste your spells against him, you feed him shaff and go for the rest.

Ah yeah.

Glad I had the resilience to handle him.

not going to be killing much with a list like that but , damn can it take the pain 

2 hours ago, Poltron said:

I just find that for a lump of massive regenerating flesh, it should last for more than a turn or 2, and that rules like Morathi should be given to someone like him, or you make him regen a static 9  wound per turn so that people need to  commit more. When you lose 14 wounds in one turn, you know that the d3 you get back wont matter next turn anyway. 

Or like Belakor, just one save, but immune to rend. So a 3+/4+ immune to rend would be good too.

Having said that, I'm playing him every games I can, not only for his abilities, but because he looks badass Nurgle to me.

Well, I landed a Glottkin. I plan to run him with  a GUO. Maybe Sword and flail on  an advancing GUO, so that opponent can't just go after Glotkin. 

Maybe:

Glotkin

GUO

Lord of Blights

Festus

-----

5xKings

5xKings

5xKings

20xPlaguebears

----

Blight Cyst Battalion

----

4 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

Well, I landed a Glottkin. I plan to run him with  a GUO. Maybe Sword and flail on  an advancing GUO, so that opponent can't just go after Glotkin. 

Maybe:

Glotkin

GUO

Lord of Blights

Festus

-----

5xKings

5xKings

5xKings

20xPlaguebears

----

Blight Cyst Battalion

----

Maybe chaos sorcerer lord instead of festus using the extra 20 points? Demonic power is so good on glotkin because the rr 1s to hit and wound are both shooting and combat, making his vomit attack a bit more reliable. 

Or you could do a "monster mash" lol by doing a maggoth instead of the 20 plaguebois.

16 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

GUO is much much more resilient because simply he can take artifacts and have an endless gift.  Where if glotkin could take artifacts you give him the fecund flask every time. 

True but you don't activate endless gift if he's dead. Point being if someone wants to remove Glottkin or GUO in one turn, there's not a huge difference. 

I think I just broke nurgle...

General-Harbringer of decay

- resilient

- witherstaff

Chaos warshrine- Nurgle

Sorcerer

- muttergrub

-Blades of Putrification

Festus the leechlord

- Mystic shield

Chaos marauders 10 x3

Pusgole blightlords x10

plaguetouched warband.

Untouchable Pusgoyles

Make  arc around heroes, sweep across board

keep wheel on 5-muttergrub

results as follows...

enemy re-roll 6 hit -witherstaff 12” bubble

enemy -1 hit combat-plaguetouc

enemy re-roll 6 wound -wheel

Pusgoyle Blight lords will have

3+ save- mystic shield

5+ save -disgustingly resilient

5+ save- morbid vigor

6+ save- warshrine

add BoP spell and warshrine prayer to make unit super offensive.

virulent discharge heal any nurgle on 6

Harbringer will have 

4+ save 

4+ save against spells

5+ save -morbid vigor

6+ save -warshrine

6+ save- resilient command trait

heal with festus

Sorcerer, festus, and warshrine will have

normal save

5+ morbid vigor

6+ warshrine

Festus and sorcerer heal themselves, festus can heal shrine if needed

can let wheel go to 7 to heal all nurgle 

maurauders to camp objectives that have been swept in the tide, one group of maurauders won’t be in plaguetouched. 

1980/2000

could get a triumph 

pick you jaw off the floor.... thoughts?

53 minutes ago, Soldier of decay said:

I think I just broke nurgle...

General-Harbringer of decay

- resilient

- witherstaff

Chaos warshrine- Nurgle

Sorcerer

- muttergrub

-Blades of Putrification

Festus the leechlord

- Mystic shield

Chaos marauders 10 x3

Pusgole blightlords x10

plaguetouched warband.

Untouchable Pusgoyles

Make  arc around heroes, sweep across board

keep wheel on 5-muttergrub

results as follows...

enemy re-roll 6 hit -witherstaff 12” bubble

enemy -1 hit combat-plaguetouc

enemy re-roll 6 wound -wheel

Pusgoyle Blight lords will have

3+ save- mystic shield

5+ save -disgustingly resilient

5+ save- morbid vigor

6+ save- warshrine

add BoP spell and warshrine prayer to make unit super offensive.

virulent discharge heal any nurgle on 6

Harbringer will have 

4+ save 

4+ save against spells

5+ save -morbid vigor

6+ save -warshrine

6+ save- resilient command trait

heal with festus

Sorcerer, festus, and warshrine will have

normal save

5+ morbid vigor

6+ warshrine

Festus and sorcerer heal themselves, festus can heal shrine if needed

can let wheel go to 7 to heal all nurgle 

maurauders to camp objectives that have been swept in the tide, one group of maurauders won’t be in plaguetouched. 

1980/2000

could get a triumph 

pick you jaw off the floor.... thoughts?

Seems like quite the immovable hammer!

I think my major concern would be model count and the fact that to get all the buffs it would need to stick together.  In an objective game that block could only be in one place at once in the way you describe it and when left without support those objective camping marauders are going to be vulnerable. (a good shooting army could have them off the board quickly).

If the Pusgoyles were to split up they would potentially lose a lot of their resilience but still be potent mobile hammers!

looks great fun to play though.  This is what I am loving about the Maggotkin book at the moment so many different viable options to play!

Anyone run Munificent Wanderers? I've been thinking of building towards it since the bonuses to Rampant disease could get really nasty especially if you can fit Rotigus into it somehow.  I'm just brainstorming on how to keep it down to 2K points without running a bunch of min size Plaguebearers. Through with the Tallyband's regenerate d3 plaguebearers bonus min units might not be so bad...

Archived