Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

14 hours ago, Slave2Chaos said:

Any recommendations on combating Nagash, specifically the battalion that allows him to transfer wounds to his Harbinger bodyguards?

Despite killing everything else in his force, Nagash still proceeded to remove unit after unit and shut down my magic.

What scenario do you play? If you remove everything else, he should lose by victory points alone. I dont rely on magic at all in my games and I always assume they wont work. If you really want a spell to work, hide from LoS so that he cant even try to unbind. Add more terrain if you find you cant ever hide from Nagash' LoS.

3 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

I ran my GUO for the first time last night. Went with Bell and Bileblade. Really disappointing performance to be honest. I rolled very badly for spells, even with +2 (with tome of thousand poxes) and it can't really do any damage in combat with those two. It got held down by 20 clanrats for 3 turns. Granfather's joy is fine, but Glottkin's bubble version is so much better. The +3" move is useful, but generally running and charging with the gnarlmaws already gives us really good movement. Not sure it's worth taking a bell over the mega blade.

Any ideas of what spells are best to take with the GUO? It's made me think the Glottkin is still much better. The only advantage the GUO has is the resilience from the 5++ and it's ability to take 1000 poxes and bileblade to give +1/+2 to spells. Granted helping to cast is useful, but bubble buff vs single unit and the GUO's better attacks and longer shooting range and access to the best Nurgle spell in the game makes me want to take it over GUO anyday. (This was my first game, I'll still play it a few more times of course!)

I run GUO with Bell (even though the sword is so much better looking!) and Bileblade, and it does work, for what's it build for at least. Maybe just a case of bad dice, but having a +2 to cast and not being able to cast a 7+ spell is bad luck and should rarely happen. That being said, I dont rely on magic at all, it's a bonus if it works, but GUO with bileblade makes it works 50% more often.

You were stuck with 20 clanrats, what unit was near to support your GUO? He's not meant to deal with hordes alone, not with that setup, and maybe not even with the sword and flail. If you had none, I would have just retreated from that combat to be where I want to be. I try to flank a unit with him, to prevent them from piling in around him.

I'm biased because I use both a GUO and Glottkin, and both are used as support piece, not main damage dealer. I bubble wrap them with plaguebearers and drones, and try to bring them where they'll be the most impactful and less in danger of return fire.

Take endless gift with him, he's made to be a tank that just wont die. And his healing/mortal wound spell can really help to keep your big guys up and running too.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Take endless gift with him, he's made to be a tank that just wont die. And his healing/mortal wound spell can really help to keep your big guys up and running too.

THanks, I really want to try him a few times in different combos, I'll try this next time! Do you run Rotigus when running with Glottkin?

I’m really going back and forth atm with my GUO loadout ideas. Bell and blade is great, but at that point he doesn’t really do much else, and I feel like you need him to contribute a little more. Probably gonna try out the Exalted version next time for a real beatstick. The question is though, do you *need* the extra movement from the bell?

22 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

Can you recall the nurgle lists?

Not the winning list sadly, but mine (3rd place) was:

GUO - (General): Endless Gift & Grandfather's Blessing, Plagueflail and Bell

Rotigus

Flying Daemon Prince of Nurgle

10 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

10 Plaguebearers

6 Plaguedrones

The combination of Bell and  Feculant Gnarlmaw's meant that I was able to get the BK into combat by T1/2 without fail. I can see how BK units could benefit from the Blades spell but a 10 man unit hits like a train anyway, when used with the GUO's +1 A command ability they become frankly obscene!

The Plaguedrones with Daemon prince and Grandfather's Joy become equally devastating.

I could have swapped the 10 Plaguebearers for a Sorcerer but I was already rocking 4 spells a turn and I felt the ability for the PB's to hold objectives would free up the smaller BK units to go hunting for kills.

I tended to hold the GUO and Rotigus back and push hard with the BKs, Drones and Daemon Prince. Their damage output & resilience kept them in the fight well into T3 and by that point my opponents were running out of ways to tackle the GUO and Rotigus.

Against a nasty board shifting Wanderers list I did lose both Rotigus and the GUO to heavy fire, however by the time they died they'd camped on the objectives long enough to win me the game on VPs.

There's probably a  more optomised list than mine but my opponents on the day struggled to cope with both Nurgle damage output and damage resilience.

26 minutes ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

I’m really going back and forth atm with my GUO loadout ideas. Bell and blade is great, but at that point he doesn’t really do much else, and I feel like you need him to contribute a little more. Probably gonna try out the Exalted version next time for a real beatstick. The question is though, do you *need* the extra movement from the bell?

Yes you do IMHO, BK's going to Move 7 (plus Feculant's) closes the gap much more reliably than Move 4

9 minutes ago, fredster4050 said:

The combination of Bell and  Feculant Gnarlmaw's meant that I was able to get the BK into combat by T1/2 without fail. I can see how BK units could benefit from the Blades spell but a 10 man unit hits like a train anyway, when used with the GUO's +1 A command ability they become frankly obscene!

I'm sorry to say that, but GUO's +1 attack command ability only works on NURGLE DAEMONS :(

14 minutes ago, fredster4050 said:

Rotigus

10 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

10 Plaguebearers

6 Plaguedrones

The Plaguedrones with Daemon prince and Grandfather's Joy become equally devastating.

I could have swapped the 10 Plaguebearers for a Sorcerer but I was already rocking 4 spells a turn and I felt the ability for the PB's to hold objectives would free up the smaller BK units to go hunting for kills.

I tended to hold the GUO and Rotigus back and push hard with the BKs, Drones and Daemon Prince. Their damage output & resilience kept them in the fight well into T3 and by that point my opponents were running out of ways to tackle the GUO and Rotigus.

Against a nasty board shifting Wanderers list I did lose both Rotigus and the GUO to heavy fire, however by the time they died they'd camped on the objectives long enough to win me the game on VPs.

There's probably a  more optomised list than mine but my opponents on the day struggled to cope with both Nurgle damage output and damage resilience.

Interesting to see a list without 30 plague bearers.  Did you feel like 10 was enough?  Is it that it freed up enough points that your opponent had to ignore them?  Very interesting. I was assuming that 30 PB's was an auto-include as one of the best tar-pits going.

EDIT:  Also, did you come up against Death?  Or in general did you see Nagash used by anyone?

43 minutes ago, fredster4050 said:

Rotigus

10 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

5 Blightkings

10 Plaguebearers

6 Plaguedrones

As @Garxia said, it's only for Daemons. That's why i think Glottkin is superior because it's for any Nurgle units. 

I think you could keep your list but swap the 2x5 BKs for some 30 plaguebearers. Not sure how useful 10 are. 30 are a ridiculously resilient block. 

1 minute ago, hughwyeth said:

As @Garxia said, it's only for Daemons. That's why i think Glottkin is superior because it's for any Nurgle units. 

I think you could keep your list but swap the 2x5 BKs for some 30 plaguebearers. Not sure how useful 10 are. 30 are a ridiculously resilient block. 

That would be my preference. Actually I’d run 2x5 BKs, 30 PBs, and a Sorcerer. Would be a pretty damn solid army at that point imo.

58 minutes ago, fredster4050 said:

I agree. If they have a LOA nearby, especially with the rust fang, and whatever they have charged is the lucky recipient of Favored Poxes, the debuffs are easily as good as Blades alone . 

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

Interesting to see a list without 30 plague bearers.  Did you feel like 10 was enough?  Is it that it freed up enough points that your opponent had to ignore them?  Very interesting. I was assuming that 30 PB's was an auto-include as one of the best tar-pits going.

EDIT:  Also, did you come up against Death?  Or in general did you see Nagash used by anyone?

I just can't get past the lack of hitting power, resilience yes but they don't really hurt stuff and as I've come from Khorne , you've just got to thump stuff off the table, just staying somewhere en masse' doesn't do it for me and doesn't win fights.

10 were fine for holding objectives where that was important.

1 hour ago, hughwyeth said:

See above - gimme BK everyday!

1 hour ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Ah man I need to get my blightkings painted soon! How was Rotigus @fredster4050? He seems cool but a bit unreliable. Do you think you’d be better off with several poxbringers/sorcerers?

No, I really like him. His spell is unreliable but he's still a GUO and hard to put down, his damage output is reasonable as well, better in fact than the regular GUO unless he has the sword. He holds objectives well and cannot easily be ignored like a group of lesser Nurgle Wizards could be?

1 hour ago, annarborhawk said:

There was Death but no Nagash min/max list. I'm guessing we'll see a lot more of that as the Death players settle in with their book

4 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

THanks, I really want to try him a few times in different combos, I'll try this next time! Do you run Rotigus when running with Glottkin?

Nah just the regular GUO, or I wont have Endless gifts. My strategy is to offer up my GUO as the bait while the Glottkin looms in ready to pounce. It's actually hard to know what to shoot when you have 2 big monsters, and I try to keep the weaker one behind, out of range until the threat is gone.

40 minutes ago, Poltron said:

Nah just the regular GUO, or I wont have Endless gifts. My strategy is to offer up my GUO as the bait while the Glottkin looms in ready to pounce. It's actually hard to know what to shoot when you have 2 big monsters, and I try to keep the weaker one behind, out of range until the threat is gone.

Don't you feel you waste command traits by doubling up on models with command abilities? Rotigus would seem a more powerful option than a non-general GUO?

10 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Don't you feel you waste command traits by doubling up on models with command abilities? Rotigus would seem a more powerful option than a non-general GUO?

Not really, GUO is well worth it even without his command ability, and Rotigus wont last as much as a GUO without Endless Gifts. And I use Gutrot too, so I need not-named character to at least use an artifact ;) And for me the bell is almost a must,  it nearly doubles your movement. In a objective game, being able to get to them first with a resilient army is gold.

2 hours ago, fredster4050 said:

I just can't get past the lack of hitting power, resilience yes but they don't really hurt stuff and as I've come from Khorne , you've just got to thump stuff off the table, just staying somewhere en masse' doesn't do it for me and doesn't win fights.

I gained a new appreciation for the efficacy of Plaguebearers in combat. They aren't killing much in one go, but they will win a grind on occasion. You can buff them up like crazy, but you have to be lucky with spells. 

• Blades, is great on them for obvious reasons
  • Big footprint which can take advantage trailing to Damned terrain
  • Always have a Poxbringer nearby to project mortal wounds off of the PBs and to regen nearby demons
  • Grandfather's joy is great on these guys, especially when you can get +1 wound from the Cycle. 
  • This isn't a PB thing, but if you can get Favored Poxes on the thing they are fighting with, it will suffer. 

They stick around for a while which allows any or all of the above do more work. 

I'm looking at starting a mortal rotbringers army, but will probably only collect up to 1000 points or so. What are the must haves if you never plan to go to 2000, similarly, what do people recommend avoiding at this point level? I think I've already ruled out Glottkin, but does a Great Unclean One work in smaller games?

21 minutes ago, avanp said:

I'm looking at starting a mortal rotbringers army, but will probably only collect up to 1000 points or so. What are the must haves if you never plan to go to 2000, similarly, what do people recommend avoiding at this point level? I think I've already ruled out Glottkin, but does a Great Unclean One work in smaller games?

GUO works really well at 1000pts, but not for a mortal rotbringers army. His command ability only works for demons.

I would go with a Lord of Blight or Afflictions for 1000pts, with lots and lots of Blightkings. Blightkings are a very good battleline unit for their cost. Add a sorcerer or two, pusgoyles or drones, maybe Bloab, and you're good to go. You could even try a Pusgoyle heavy cavalry theme, but I dont see them play quite often.

14 minutes ago, Poltron said:

I would go with a Lord of Blight or Afflictions for 1000pts, with lots and lots of Blightkings. Blightkings are a very good battleline unit for their cost. Add a sorcerer or two, pusgoyles or drones, maybe Bloab, and you're good to go. You could even try a Pusgoyle heavy cavalry theme, but I dont see them play quite often.

I have yet to get the LOA on the table (still painting him), but I think he'll be rock solid!

27 minutes ago, Poltron said:

GUO works really well at 1000pts, but not for a mortal rotbringers army. His command ability only works for demons.

What do you think of Rotigus? Him and the Lord of Afflictions, and two units of Pusgoyle Blightlords would look beautiful...

I just finished painting my start collecting nurgle! yay!

Me and my m8s are gonna play a game and then add more units to our armies. But i don't know where to go next!

I was thinking 

1) 20 Plaguebearers

2) 10 Blightkings (maybe gutrot spume)

Or what do you guys thinks?

Archived