Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

am I the only one who can't DL the skywardens in the app? Get's the locked icon for stuff that has to be bought.. but not even packs where it could be bought (not that I'd buy it anyway). Bug?

Same here; I have all other scrolls (except the battalions, I have a print copy and won't buy the book a second time, not yet anyway) but the Skywardens just won't D/L for some reason

Scratch that; somehow, the issue has been fixed. They must have received a few complaints I assume

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argh these guys are seriously tempting me. I have never played a Dwarven character in any rpg or video game, I generally am not a huge fan of Dwarves in fantasy settings, and the Dwarves in WHFB never really did it for me. Despite all that I can' stop thinking about these stupid models, I thought making myself wait past the initial release would do it since my "new model syndrome" would have worn off by then but if anything it has gotten worse.

Am I a fool for thinking about starting this army?

I say go for it :) I love all things Dwarf myself...except everyone already had Dwarf armies in my group. I've always, always always been forlorn that I missed the boat on Squats, but lo and behold here they are!

I know what you mean with New Model Syndrome, but I've held off pretty well even with a slight loss of Force of Will with Ironjawz :)

28 minutes ago, ronin_cse said:

Argh these guys are seriously tempting me. I have never played a Dwarven character in any rpg or video game, I generally am not a huge fan of Dwarves in fantasy settings, and the Dwarves in WHFB never really did it for me. Despite all that I can' stop thinking about these stupid models, I thought making myself wait past the initial release would do it since my "new model syndrome" would have worn off by then but if anything it has gotten worse.

Am I a fool for thinking about starting this army?

To be honest I was worried about that myself but I've put together the Admiral today and it's stunning these guys have a 40k Squats / Dwarf vibe but feel very unique.

-VonRunestorm

On 23/04/2017 at 10:19 AM, Well of Eternity said:

What about Arkanaut Company MSU? I know that ships are mainstay for KO but what I'm thinking about other possibilities like (for 1500 points - we play this format quite often in my group)

Barak Urbaz for Khemists buff

Admiral for his battleshock bubble and several unit of arkanauts with skyhooks.  As a backup 10 thunderers with mortars. 

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Stickler for the Code:These are Just Guidelines 
- Artefact: Hammer of Aethermatic Might 
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aether-Khemist (100)

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 10x Grundstok Mortars

I also like the idea of a no-ship KO list (heretical is this is!) I just don't think the ships are efficient enough for their points in Matched Play sadly.  Would rather they were less in cost, less wounds etc.  I like the idea of the mobility it potentially provides, but I think it's better to just take balloon men.

So I was thinking for 2k Matched play:

Barak-Urbaz

Leaders

5 Khemists

Battleline

20 Arkanauts - 6 sky hooks

10 Arkanauts - 3 sky hooks

Units

9 Endrinriggers - 2 grappels

9 Skywardens - 2 grappels, 3 drill cannons

This is assuming the khemists stack.  You essentially buff the Arkanauts sky hooks so the 20 man unit is kicking out 36 shots a turn and simultaneously give one balloon unit 54 saw attacks.  Launch them at your opponents scary stuff, shoot something else off.  You can pretty much take out both Stonehorns in the Kunnin Rukk list turn one if you want.  Or shoot off the Rukk and ensure he can only kill Arkanauts with your deployment.  Equally you can take out all of a Sylvaneth army's ranged threat turn 1 pretty easily.

Those grappels are gold for moving around, gives you insane Alpha strike capability.  I reckon big units and 2 are the way to balance your averages!

Although the amount of times you'd fail a 4+ I bet are scary ;) 

I also like the idea of a no-ship KO list (heretical is this is!) I just don't think the ships are efficient enough for their points in Matched Play sadly.  Would rather they were less in cost, less wounds etc.  I like the idea of the mobility it potentially provides, but I think it's better to just take balloon men.

So I was thinking for 2k Matched play:

Barak-Urbaz
Leaders
5 Khemists

Battleline
20 Arkanauts - 6 sky hooks
Units
9 Skywardens - 2 grappels, 3 drill cannons

This is assuming the khemists stack.  You essentially buff the Arkanauts sky hooks so the 20 man unit is kicking out 36 shots a turn and simultaneously give one balloon unit 54 saw attacks.  Launch them at your opponents scary stuff, shoot something else off.  You can pretty much take out both Stonehorns in the Kunnin Rukk list turn one if you want.  Or shoot off the Rukk and ensure he can only kill Arkanauts with your deployment.  Equally you can take out all of a Sylvaneth army's ranged threat turn 1 pretty easily.
Those grappels are gold for moving around, gives you insane Alpha strike capability.  I reckon big units and 2 are the way to balance your averages!
Although the amount of times you'd fail a 4+ I bet are scary [emoji6] 

I'm going to be really surprised if we see these types of lists right now, before the bits manufacturers can make knock off sky hooks and aether mortars. With just one special weapon in a box that will significantly limit most players since the bits alone are likely to be extremely pricey. But if you want extra rank and file I'll bet you'll be able to get them cheap pretty soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

I'm going to be really surprised if we see these types of lists right now, before the bits manufacturers can make knock off sky hooks and aether mortars. With just one special weapon in a box that will significantly limit most players since the bits alone are likely to be extremely pricey. But if you want extra rank and file I'll bet you'll be able to get them cheap pretty soon.

Prepare to be surprised Sir :-) Because I pre-ordered 12 boxes of arkanauts just to get all the skyhooks I need for a tournament in 5 weeks. 

(Watch eBay or FB later for boxes of arkanauts with hooks traded for volley guns and pikes :-p)

Big difference in my list is I've got a blob of 40 arkanauts as my big mainstay unit. Time and practice will tell if it works out. 

Reading throug the book the ships all seem expencive. The two smaller ones neither has damage og stayability. The ironclad is a healthy beasts in both areas but I would have guessed it at 350! 

Generelly its not a 'top tier' army, but I am just grateful the power climbing has ceased for a moment. I do wonder how on earth we are going to get 12 point 5+ save guys to work

9 minutes ago, Urbanus said:

Reading throug the book the ships all seem expencive. The two smaller ones neither has damage og stayability. The ironclad is a healthy beasts in both areas but I would have guessed it at 350! 

Generelly its not a 'top tier' army, but I am just grateful the power climbing has ceased for a moment. I do wonder how on earth we are going to get 12 point 5+ save guys to work

Quite a bit of passive and active healing abilities....transporting helps their otherwise slow grunts. 

25 minutes ago, Urbanus said:

I do wonder how on earth we are going to get 12 point 5+ save guys to work

The same way we did for Thunderers, Quarellers, and Miners! Which is to say, "very carefully, and not always well." Basically you will have to understand beforehand what you need them to accomplish. Things like "hold X objective," "block X unit," "kill X hero," "pressure the left flank," etc. then you have to figure out how to make that happen. Usually it involves things like using a different unit as a blocking/sacrifice so you can counter-charge, getting them battleshock immunity on the right turn, and not being afraid to retreat/not kill any of the enemy when you really wish you could fight because you know you have a different objective. A big thing for the Arkanaut Company will be keeping the special weapons alive. You have seven wounds before they can start touching your 24" rend -2 attacks. 

11 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Quite a bit of passive and active healing abilities....transporting helps their otherwise slow grunts. 

True but its attached to units that all cost point. Its indirectly inflating the cost of the ship.

The ironclad is movement 8 so unless you want your guys in the hull for two turns they arent getting to the bottom of the enemy deployment

2 minutes ago, Urbanus said:

The ironclad is movement 8 so unless you want your guys in the hull for two turns they arent getting to the bottom of the enemy deployment

Bring "Don't Argue With the Wind" and stick an Admiral in there who has "Autotinkerer". That makes it 580 points, but movement 14" and double the healing.

5 minutes ago, Volund said:

The same way we did for Thunderers, Quarellers, and Miners!

These where never front line units. The company (aparantly) is.

We dont have any tankier unit to keep those 20 buffed bloodreavers/ 5 skullreapers from eating 120 point a turn

1 minute ago, Volund said:

Bring "Don't Argue With the Wind" and stick an Admiral in there who has "Autotinkerer". That makes it 580 points, but movement 14" and double the healing.

At that point the enemy will simply ignore it. Its 580 points doing the damage of a 300 point unit.

If you add passengers thats half your point in one push. In scenarios with 3 objectives or more thats going to be a problem.

I haven't yet played any games, so take everything I say with appropriate salt. But I expect we will not have "frontline units" per se. I imagine that everything will be precious, and important, and desperately trying to avoid combat. We will deal with 20 reavers by avoiding them until the ships are able to snipe out the Stoker and Secrator then deploy into a much less scary world. That is just how I expect things will go from reading. Sort of the opposite of disspossed who desperately needed the objective to be "defend," KO will be horrible at "defend" but do well with everything else. I absolutely see your point and agree that nothing will be easy or straightforward, but I do currently believe that most things will be workable.

7 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

Here is my solution to the Light Skyhook problem.  The trollhamemrs from the Irondrake kits are a perfect replacement imo.  

IMG_6120.JPG

23 minutes ago, Volund said:

I haven't yet played any games, so take everything I say with appropriate salt. But I expect we will not have "frontline units" per se. I imagine that everything will be precious, and important, and desperately trying to avoid combat. We will deal with 20 reavers by avoiding them until the ships are able to snipe out the Stoker and Secrator then deploy into a much less scary world. That is just how I expect things will go from reading. Sort of the opposite of disspossed who desperately needed the objective to be "defend," KO will be horrible at "defend" but do well with everything else. I absolutely see your point and agree that nothing will be easy or straightforward, but I do currently believe that most things will be workable.

If you look at the Gunhauler side by side with the Ironweld Arsenal Cannon it looks like a steal for what you get for only 40 additional points. I keep getting the feeling that I want a fleet of ships on the table so the fact I can't fit as many as I want into a 2000 matched play game makes them seem expensive. I'm not yet convinced that they are over priced.

13 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Here is my solution to the Light Skyhook problem.  The trollhamemrs from the Irondrake kits are a perfect replacement imo.  

IMG_6120.JPG

And one can use the cannons as Aethercannon on the Gunners. I dug out the same.

Although I'm thinking of just casting a load for myself.

7 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

IMG_6120.JPG

I finally got my hands on some boxes yesterday, and also have a solution from right within the Arkanaut kit! You can double the amount of Skyhooks by cutting the end off the Skyhook and gluing it onto the Aethermatic Volley Gun.

18 minutes ago, Dez said:

I finally got my hands on some boxes yesterday, and also have a solution from right within the Arkanaut kit! You can double the amount of Skyhooks by cutting the end off the Skyhook and gluing it onto the Aethermatic Volley Gun.

I'm going to do this with my Mortar-wielding Thunderers since they come with a spare mortar round.

3 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I'm going to do this with my Mortar-wielding Thunderers since they come with a spare mortar round.

Yeah I was really excited when I saw that extra mortar! I haven't opened my Frigate yet, but I'm also thinking of perhaps using the bombs from that depending on scale. I've also got so many Cadian and Catachan grenades I wonder if I can do something with those too, like a clusterbomb.

Archived