Best battleplans

55 minutes ago, Dongilles said:

I heard watchtower is good its from the firet book but I cant seem to find the ritual battleplan. Do you know what book its from?

The Ritual is from the original "Age of Sigmar: Battle Pack"

If it's just Battleplans you want, (and don't mind about battalions), it looks like the Realmgate Wars series (Age of Sigmar, Quest for Ghal Maraz, Balance of Power, Godbeasts) give you the most (although they also seem priced higher).

I would suggest as a start point the Age of Sigmar for battleplans.

Most of them are pretty much updated versions of the kind of scenarios you got in 8th Edition. As such they tend to add in a focus to the game, but by and large aren't massively different to a standard game. I also think if you like a particular faction, then it is likely that you will like the battle plans from their battletome. They tend to be a bit more complex, but be very flavourful.

As an example of what I mean: In Age of Sigmar there is a breakout mission. One player needs to get his models off the other side, and both players get a special command ability. Gives a focus to the game, but is not a lot beyond just straight up bash and smash. In Battletome: Fyreslayers there is a mission that requires moving off the board, but both players can do it. There is also a very dangerous barrier, there is off board shooting, there is deployment by blinds. There is just a lot going on beyond bash and smash.

Personally I feel that battle plans add a lot to the game, so would highly recommend all of them.

Spell breakers from Ghal Maraz is one of my faves and makes for some very tense games. However, my absolute favourite is the free battle plan GW gave out during AoS' release - A convergence of fate.

It's a four player game (although you can make do with three) based around forming alliances (and stabbing them in the back of course!) with other players to be the only one holding the relic at games end. My group and I have played it a couple of times and its soooo much fun! B|

The battleplans I've enjoyed playing through the months the most were The Ritual and The Hidden Artefact. These were linked 'thematically' in our Escalation Campaign, where the winning armies from 'The Ritual' (In our case, they were extracting a Magical Artefact) would then be fleeing with the Artefact in the second battleplan.

The Ritual was very difficult for the attacking armies though, probably not helped by the fact that peopled tended to roll well for the Ritual counter. But it has a cool theme and idea to it.

On 15 May 2016 at 3:19 PM, Sith'ari said:

Spell breakers from Ghal Maraz is one of my faves and makes for some very tense games. However, my absolute favourite is the free battle plan GW gave out during AoS' release - A convergence of fate.

It's a four player game (although you can make do with three) based around forming alliances (and stabbing them in the back of course!) with other players to be the only one holding the relic at games end. My group and I have played it a couple of times and its soooo much fun! B|

A convergence of fate - is amazing. Similar to triumph & treachery but for AoS!

Why they never released the actual Battleplan I'll never understand!

Godbeasts has lots of great multiplayer plans too, as well as an amazing night fighting one.

Just played "To Bind the Storm" from Godbeasts over the weekend, where a terrain feature needs to be destroyed.  It can be targeted as an enemy unit with 20 wounds and only mortal wounds have any effect.  Both armies heroes become "electromancers" and can attempt to cast a new spell dealing mortal wounds.  It was an awesome scenario as the "defender" can't just castle up around the feature as the enemy heroes can all attempt to cast the lightning spell once per turn from a distance.  Great fun all around.  Win to the Stormcast btw(barely), Woot!

9 hours ago, Mikosan said:

Just played "To Bind the Storm" from Godbeasts over the weekend, where a terrain feature needs to be destroyed.  It can be targeted as an enemy unit with 20 wounds and only mortal wounds have any effect.  Both armies heroes become "electromancers" and can attempt to cast a new spell dealing mortal wounds.  It was an awesome scenario as the "defender" can't just castle up around the feature as the enemy heroes can all attempt to cast the lightning spell once per turn from a distance.  Great fun all around.  Win to the Stormcast btw(barely), Woot!

Will definitely give this one a go!

Archived