Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

@Aezeal I have never really understood how wyldwoods work outside of a Sylvaneth army, was under the impression you just deployed them but I could be wrong.

Drycha and some bow hunters fit perfectly into the 500 point ally slot too, this is probably a better version of the list

Allegiance: Wanderers

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Stalker of the Hidden Paths 
- Artefact: Viridescent Shawl 
Spellweaver (80)
- Heartwood Staff
Waywatcher (100)
- Artefact: Starcaster Longbow 
Waywatcher (100)
Waywatcher (100)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Eternal Guard (210)
- Wanderers Battleline
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)
5 x Wild Riders (140)
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (220)
- Greatbows
- Allies

Battalions
Waystone Pathfinders (240)

Total: 2490 / 2500
Allies: 500 / 500
Wounds: 160

Dropping a GG unit for a Waywatcher and a 10 man EG unit leaves me with 50 odd points with nothing to do with as the allies are capped out.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings Wanderers and Wanderesses,

this is a kind of an introduction post. Actually it's more of a "Thank you" post. Anyways: I'm a new player to Age of Sigmar and also never played Fantasy Battles before. I did play Warhammer 40.000 and followed the Development of Age of Sigmar with interest and sympathy (because HeroQuest was my entry into the Hobby back in the late 80ies, and you never forget your first love). A few months ago, a friend of mine showed interest in AoS and it was a more than welcome occasion to get into the Game. I bought my first box of Eternal Guard on Friday and my first Nomad Prince on Saturday. Then I decided to read this whole thread (took me until last night, hehe), which was an amazin entry into the Wanderers. I want to thank everyone who participated and contributed here: Thanks for all the work, enthusiasm and mindfull thoughts! It's really a great way to get into the faction and the community of Wanderers.  

Before I get to other points, I want to mention that it's especially great to have so many former Wood Elves players here. Your armies, knowledge and experience, and above all the pure dedication to the faction is really awe inspiring and highly motivating at the same time. And although I already bought and mostly read two Wood Elves Army Books (4th and 8th Edition) in order to get into the faction (and because I love Games Workshops Books), it's much to have this thread. You are the living legacy of the Wood Elves. And am looking forward to the future of the Wanderers, now.

I have quite a lot of topics regarding the Wanderers, but I'll split them in several replies here or even own topics (which I'll be shamelessly promiting here) if that's okay.

For now: Thanks again, everyone! This is really a great place.       

6 minutes ago, Filius said:

Greetings Wanderers and Wanderesses,

this is a kind of an introduction post. Actually it's more of a "Thank you" post. Anyways: I'm a new player to Age of Sigmar and also never played Fantasy Battles before. I did play Warhammer 40.000 and followed the Development of Age of Sigmar with interest and sympathy (because HeroQuest was my entry into the Hobby back in the late 80ies, and you never forget your first love). A few months ago, a friend of mine showed interest in AoS and it was a more than welcome occasion to get into the Game. I bought my first box of Eternal Guard on Friday and my first Nomad Prince on Saturday. Then I decided to read this whole thread (took me until last night, hehe), which was an amazin entry into the Wanderers. I want to thank everyone who participated and contributed here: Thanks for all the work, enthusiasm and mindfull thoughts! It's really a great way to get into the faction and the community of Wanderers.  

Before I get to other points, I want to mention that it's especially great to have so many former Wood Elves players here. Your armies, knowledge and experience, and above all the pure dedication to the faction is really awe inspiring and highly motivating at the same time. And although I already bought and mostly read two Wood Elves Army Books (4th and 8th Edition) in order to get into the faction (and because I love Games Workshops Books), it's much to have this thread. You are the living legacy of the Wood Elves. And am looking forward to the future of the Wanderers, now.

I have quite a lot of topics regarding the Wanderers, but I'll split them in several replies here or even own topics (which I'll be shamelessly promiting here) if that's okay.

For now: Thanks again, everyone! This is really a great place.       

Just know: if you are someone who wants to play somewhat competatively you probably could still pick another army. I think the mixed order stuff posted in here is about the max you can get with wanderers... and even in those lists the MVP's will likely not be the wanderer models... they just use wanderer models because they aren't worse than other order models. Not to discourage you... but you really should know what you get into before committing to an army in this expensive hobby of ours.

10 hours ago, Origin said:

@Aezeal I have never really understood how wyldwoods work outside of a Sylvaneth army, was under the impression you just deployed them but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure either.. but with sylvaneth you get the specific option of deploying a forest... for sylvaneth the forest are free... if you could just "buy forests like you do then

1. then it wouldn't need to be an allegiance ability for them

2. they'd just deploy more than 1.

So I don't think you can just deploy forest.. they need to be summoned. Only TLA's can summon them on 4+ outside of sylvaneht allegiance (and TLA's aren't really worth that outside sylvaneth since command ability won't be used, won't have sylvaneth spell and forests will cost points too... not to mention they 'd hurt your own army. 

Hi guys, I wonder if you could answer a question for me?  I'm playing a 1000 point game of AoS tomorrow, and my list ends up being 940 points.  This is the stuff I have, I harbour no illusions of competitiveness, so no need to suggest alternative lists.  Anyway, I thought I could plug that 60pt gap by allying in a Great Eagle.  However,  can't find them in the GHB2017.  Are they gone from matched play?  They still appear in the GW Warscroll Builder, and the AoS app.  

43 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Just know: if you are someone who wants to play somewhat competatively you probably could still pick another army. I think the mixed order stuff posted in here is about the max you can get with wanderers... and even in those lists the MVP's will likely not be the wanderer models... they just use wanderer models because they aren't worse than other order models. Not to discourage you... but you really should know what you get into before committing to an army in this expensive hobby of ours.

Ah! Yeah! I should have mentioned that, after reading all those discussion about competitive play … I'm probably never going to play competatively, hehe. First I prefer narrative play anyways (comming from HeroQuest, hehe), secondly I tend to buy minis because they look great (already ordered a Skycutter) and thirdly, I have two very small kids at home and I am part of a small but very nice (and in times demanding) company – so I just don't have time to go to tournaments anytime soon (meaning: the next 10 years, hehe).

And in case I do want to win a lot Games somewhen in the next years I'll just continue to build the yet unbuild 179 Space Marines, that I have stored in Boxes since the Primaris arrived and drained all motivation for 40k from me. :D

But: Thanks again for pointing out! Such kind people around here! :$

52 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Hi guys, I wonder if you could answer a question for me?  I'm playing a 1000 point game of AoS tomorrow, and my list ends up being 940 points.  This is the stuff I have, I harbour no illusions of competitiveness, so no need to suggest alternative lists.  Anyway, I thought I could plug that 60pt gap by allying in a Great Eagle.  However,  can't find them in the GHB2017.  Are they gone from matched play?  They still appear in the GW Warscroll Builder, and the AoS app.  

They are compendium and thus not legal allies for wanderer allegiance. If you have some small model you could ally in a (proxy) gryphhound.

38 minutes ago, Filius said:

Ah! Yeah! I should have mentioned that, after reading all those discussion about competitive play … I'm probably never going to play competatively, hehe. First I prefer narrative play anyways (comming from HeroQuest, hehe), secondly I tend to buy minis because they look great (already ordered a Skycutter) and thirdly, I have two very small kids at home and I am part of a small but very nice (and in times demanding) company – so I just don't have time to go to tournaments anytime soon (meaning: the next 10 years, hehe).

And in case I do want to win a lot Games somewhen in the next years I'll just continue to build the yet unbuild 179 Space Marines, that I have stored in Boxes since the Primaris arrived and drained all motivation for 40k from me. :D

But: Thanks again for pointing out! Such kind people around here! :$

1. The skycutter doesn't look great. 

So now we have that out of the way.

2. The skycutter isn't wanderer. But can be an ally ofc, I prefer the phoenix myself. 

3. Even when not playing competatively it might be fun to win games :D. (I don't play tournaments either but the casual games I play I prefer to win and I min max / tinker / optimize / theoryhammer my lists a lot - well.. you see my discussions above.. should be clear)

54 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

1. The skycutter doesn't look great. 

So now we have that out of the way.

2. The skycutter isn't wanderer. But can be an ally ofc, I prefer the phoenix myself. 

3. Even when not playing competatively it might be fun to win games :D. (I don't play tournaments either but the casual games I play I prefer to win and I min max / tinker / optimize / theoryhammer my lists a lot - well.. you see my discussions above.. should be clear)

:D Yes, yes, the Skycutter is not a Wanderer, and I couldn't believe that, when I found out. I still can't believe it. To me it's a Wanderer. It fits so great to the Warhawk Riders of old, and the whole wandering theme.

Did I mention that I am also tempted to get me one of those cute Magmadroths (and paint it green)? (Just to get that out of the way, too.)

And yes, I do like winning also. But I really dislike winning easy. In fact I really prefer a game, where it's easier for my opponent to win. Many dislike loosing a lot (including my wife) and some of my regular partners in "normal" board games), but I am totally happy, if I could play along my own plan and then loos. And a game is more fun for me, when my opponent has a lot of fun. That actually makes a faction more attractive to me, that is easy to loose with and takes skill and experience to win with. Plus:

My experience from 40k is that the community of players of an underdog factions is … more cosy. ^_^

But really: The playablity is nearly the last important factor for me, when deciding for a faction. I'll spend much, much, much more time building, kit-bashing and painting, than playing. At least the next years.

44 minutes ago, Filius said:

:D Yes, yes, the Skycutter is not a Wanderer, and I couldn't believe that, when I found out. I still can't believe it. To me it's a Wanderer. It fits so great to the Warhawk Riders of old, and the whole wandering theme.

Did I mention that I am also tempted to get me one of those cute Magmadroths (and paint it green)? (Just to get that out of the way, too.)

And yes, I do like winning also. But I really dislike winning easy. In fact I really prefer a game, where it's easier for my opponent to win. Many dislike loosing a lot (including my wife) and some of my regular partners in "normal" board games), but I am totally happy, if I could play along my own plan and then loos. And a game is more fun for me, when my opponent has a lot of fun. That actually makes a faction more attractive to me, that is easy to loose with and takes skill and experience to win with. Plus:

My experience from 40k is that the community of players of an underdog factions is … more cosy. ^_^

But really: The playablity is nearly the last important factor for me, when deciding for a faction. I'll spend much, much, much more time building, kit-bashing and painting, than playing. At least the next years.

Green Magmadroths :D. I've just gotten a carmine dragon and painted it green as a forest dragon: and I'll be using it as a proxy phoenix this :D evening. 

Swifthawk and wanderer are indeed somewhat similar: wanderers more shooty and swifts more about speed. I'd not mind putting them together in a single keyword (gimme that +1 to wound :D)

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

They are compendium and thus not legal allies for wanderer allegiance. If you have some small model you could ally in a (proxy) gryphhound.

@Filius

As you are not playing in a Tournament dont let a silly thing like being Legal stop you playing the units you want to use. We often play with no battle line restrictions and my mates let me play any wood elves as wanderers because let's face it they are the same thing no matter what the GHB says.

Outside of competitive gaming the rules are just a guide. We all started with NO army building rules in 2015 so don't let the GHB frustrate and restrict you. It's a game, have fun with it, make fluff lists from time to time. Consider your opponent, how good are they? and what type of game do they want to play and always offer the same relaxed approach to  rules to your opponent. I have most wood elf and High elf and even dark elf models plus all the Sylvaneth and I really cannot get along with the way GW have broken them all up so they no longer synergise or play together well. So I ignore it :)  If you're opponents feel the same about their armies or don't mind you ignoring certain restrictions then go for it and have fun. Just talk about it first.

Elves are not the most competitive at the moment and GW seemed to have ignored them since AoS was released. We had a little update for wanderers rules and now some dark elf models coming but the positive side of being ignored is that its encouraged tons of fantastic idea and conversions to proxy thing like a Hurricanum with an elven twist, Storm cast cavalry with Wild rider models with Dryad torsos, have you seen Tidings blowpipe fey in bushes (Proxied Skinks!) :D 

These boards are great but they tend to attract a lot of people focused on Event play rather than what most of us play which is at home with our friends and family.  Both ways to plays are great and I support both I just like to stick up for non event play to keep the balance. :)  Everyone is very helpful and if you want to Min/Max your army you will find lots of help here especially for event play.

Well done for choosing the best in AoS - Wood Elves! (I still don't like the Wanderers name haha)

Well, it's not a tournament, but it is a thing in the GW store.  It has something to do with Malign Portants.  My mate has invited me along, but all I know is I need 1000pts.  :D

The Great Eagles do have a warscroll in the faq that came out at the same time as the GHB2017, and in that it gives a points value, under the heading of pitched battle profiles.  I guess I'll ask in the shop.  It'll be a shame if they don't let me use them as they're great models.  I was going to use one from the Lord of the Rings box which I painted ages ago for my wife.  If not, I'll just be 60 points short.  It will make no difference to the outcome - I have no idea what I'm doing so defeat is assured.

5 hours ago, WABBIT said:

As you are not playing in a Tournament dont let a silly thing like being Legal stop you playing the units you want to use. We often play with no battle line restrictions and my mates let me play any wood elves as wanderers because let's face it they the same thing no matter what the GHB says.

@feltmonkeyinstead of playing Wanderers allegiance just play Order allegiance. Furthermore a Glade lord on great eagle with the order trait that gives +1 A and the artifact that gives +1 rend is a beast!!!!!!

@feltmonkey Oh sorry yes I meant to reply to you above in my last post. It's a shame you can't just take 5 Glade guard for 60 pts. You can always ask if you can take a Eagle or 5 GG, it's just a casual game i'm sure they won't mind. If you find players are too literal with rules then you're less likely to enjoying games with them anyway.  Be generous and forgiving with mistakes and you should be returned the favour ;)  I always try to remind myself my opponent is there to have fun too. I've been over competitive in the past so I actively try to avoid it. I rarely enjoyed winning games (I won all the time) because my opponents hated my tactics - which was generally Shooting them off the table and blocking with chaff. These days I bring fluff armies or balanced armies so I can offer my opponent a challenge in combat or with monsters etc. Of course I still look at Optimal lists and event legal lists all the time as well - there are some great posters here with great insights and experience of events.

@Frozenbeast Yeah but sometimes I want to use Wanderer allegiance abilities with my Wood Elf army and no one I play is bothered as they basically the same thing - I wouldn't use  it with high elves or any other non wood elf models for example. There's no logical reason why we should not use wood elf models with Wanderers allegiance or as Allies beyond GW wanting to retire our older models.  Stuff that I paid a fortune for my army, I've invested a lot of time in painting it and I'm going to use it. My friends are the same and I listen to what they want when we play as well. It's not even overpowered to use Woodelves with Wanderer Allegiance  although I don't allow the wood elf Dragon to make use of the teleport - that seems obvious to me. Its about applying common sense and being reasonable with what you allow/don't allow. The GHB is a fantastic guide on how you can build your armies but don't be a slave to it is my humble approach. That way we can all build the armies we imagine and so can our opponents. If something is too powerful then scale it back or don't choose to use it. I don't want to tell anyone else how they should play this game I just want to promote the idea we can play this game how we want to and GW say this themselves in their books as well.  Sorry I went on a bit again haha.

@WABBIT i actually quoted you and not @feltmonkey because I too in consideration what you said but I was actually answering him xD. I edited it already.

But absolutely agree with you. What upsets me the most is that just before they changed GHB 2017 with the allegiances I finished my WHR and the glade dragon and not been able to play them kinda forced me to play mixed order (I am no allowed to use them as Wanderers) because I wanted to field my models. But indeed II would really like to play full Wanderers and be able to be a bit more impacting.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I don't think I was completely clear originally. I was asking in here about the Eagles because I thought you guys would know, but at the moment I play Sylvaneth rather than Wanderers, so you may have to rescind your warm welcome!  I'm not sure of the politics between pointy ears and emo trees. :P

If it's any consolation I have been playing a Sylvaneth and Wanderers combined force, made up of the models I bought because I thought they looked cool, so a couple of Treelords, some Dryads, Sisters of the Thorn (my favorite unit in the game) and a few Wanderers heroes. The Waywatcher is an absolute boss. I've reluctantly switched to full Sylvaneth in order to try out some of the tricks and spells in the battletome.

I've lined up another game in which I'll most likely take some wanderers as allies, which will be fun. I'll let you know how they get on, but I'm told my mate who I'm playing is bringing Nagash, the swine.

@Aezeal @WABBIT … thanks for the tips and the advice! Esp. Wabbit. I'm going to follow them wholeheartedly.

As we already talked about the Skycutter … this is one of my first Questions: I was a bit suprised that it was not even mentioned in this thread, although it's not Wanderers Allegiance. I know it's pricy, I know it doesn't have Mortal Wound output, but it's damned fast and three of them would fit into the Allies 400 Points Slot and seem like a pretty fair option for objective grabbing to me … or to put it another way: Do I miss some other reasons no Wanderers Player seems to regard a Skycutter as an addition?

46 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

@WABBIT i actually quoted you and not @feltmonkey because I too in consideration what you said but I was actually answering him xD. I edited it already.

But absolutely agree with you. What upsets me the most is that just before they changed GHB 2017 with the allegiances I finished my WHR and the glade dragon and not been able to play them kinda forced me to play mixed order (I am no allowed to use them as Wanderers) because I wanted to field my models. But indeed II would really like to play full Wanderers and be able to be a bit more impacting.

:D Yeah same happened to me I had just finished the same units as you just as GHB came out plus 25 wardancers! I used LOTR eagles converted to Warhawks/Lords on eagles and my Centerpiece Carmine Dragon and Nomad Prince rider conversion. Gutted, then I said stuff that. I'm using them - no one I've played with minds, there is sympathy for our situation and Wanderers/wood elves aren't alone in losing so many great models. Its only when you remember we have a choice in how we play this game we don't have to follow rules written for Strict Tournament play - it's not a natural way to game with friends and family. Go Rules as intended not RAW. It's the same in D&D, "Fun Trumps Story Trumps Rules".  You just need like minded opponents. GW tired to push this but the"Events/Tourney player pressure group" shouts the loudest and that's to be expected as event take a lot of effort to organise and its not free.

43 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I don't think I was completely clear originally. I was asking in here about the Eagles because I thought you guys would know, but at the moment I play Sylvaneth rather than Wanderers, so you may have to rescind your warm welcome!  I'm not sure of the politics between pointy ears and emo trees. :P

You're still welcome. I love and collect both Wanderers and Sylvaneth - its GW that doesn't want us to play them together with their silly "Rules" :D Of course you can play them together as allies but sylvaneth are the most Anti Ally army in AoS  - if sylvaneth take allies they run the risk of being eaten by trees and Wanderer warscrolls are designed to sit in cover - unfortunately it will EAT them! :D  In reverse Sylvaneth are costed with their allegiance abilities in mind (Wyldwoods!) so using them in an order or Wanderer army means you don't get the Wyld woods unless you pay for them AND you have to bring a TLA AND they still eat your other non Sylvaneth troops....silly really just silly.  :D don't let silliness stop you though have fun with it - play Wanderers with Sylvaneth like the old days. House rule it if it becomes a big issue and your mates agree. It helps to offer a concession in return ;) 

28 minutes ago, Filius said:

@Aezeal @WABBIT … thanks for the tips and the advice! Esp. Wabbit. I'm going to follow them wholeheartedly.

As we already talked about the Skycutter … this is one of my first Questions: I was a bit suprised that it was not even mentioned in this thread, although it's not Wanderers Allegiance. I know it's pricy, I know it doesn't have Mortal Wound output, but it's damned fast and three of them would fit into the Allies 400 Points Slot and seem like a pretty fair option for objective grabbing to me … or to put it another way: Do I miss some other reasons no Wanderers Player seems to regard a Skycutter as an addition?

Simple answer is they aren't very good but don't let that stop you. Most older players may not have them if they only collected the old wood elves - they more than likely will have a sylvaneth army as the two were one army in previous edition (8th). Those who collected High Elves (like me) will have one or two.  I tried them a few times but they don't do much really. not enough punch. Cavalry in general are weak in AoS.

There is another thread dedicated to Swift hawks and its been mentioned there about merging them with Wanderers as they are alike and they stole our Eagles!!! Grrr :D

You can play Swift hawks with Wanderers/wood elves as an Order force nothing stopping you. They are great models. One idea is to convert a sky cutter for use as a hurricanum as it fits much better thematically with Aelves than the old Empire model does. Some great ideas on here and other threads about customising other models for use. Dont feel restricted by the model - look at the warscrolls you want to use and if the model doesn't fit your theme swap it for something that does. Paint your Frost Phoenix Emerald Green, Swap the Sky cutter eagle for a train of Wild Rider stags like Santa's Elven sky chariot! :D  Idea theft is rife on these forums!  I've nicked loads of ideas from most posters in here :D Im pretty sure they dont mind! Share some pics when your done!

38 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

Simple answer is they aren't very good but don't let that stop you.  […]

You can play Swift hawks with Wanderers/wood elves as an Order force nothing stopping you. They are great models. One idea is to convert a sky cutter for use as a hurricanum as it fits much better thematically with Aelves than the old Empire model does. Some great ideas on here and other threads about customising other models for use. Dont feel restricted by the model - look at the warscrolls you want to use and if the model doesn't fit your theme swap it for something that does. Paint your Frost Phoenix Emerald Green, Swap the Sky cutter eagle for a train of Wild Rider stags like Santa's Elven sky chariot! :D  Idea theft is rife on these forums!  I've nicked loads of ideas from most posters in here :D Im pretty sure they dont mind! Share some pics when your done!

Sad to hear that they aren't good. But I'll follow your advice and mix them in somehow. I planned on replacing the crew with (bits of) Eternal Guards and/or Wild Riders, but keeping the model otherwise more or less like it is. It fit's so nicely into the story that starts to evolve in my head.

By the way: Those Blowpipe Fey Conversions of Tidings, you mentioned … I haven't seen them, aaand couldn't find them, even though I did try some matching keyword searches and stalked Tidings History … do you have any hint, where to find them?!

And another Question: Has anyone around here considered, or even tried using the new Blood Bowl Elven Team as a Base for Conversions?

I like their dynamic poses a lot, and with a few bits here and there and the right colours, they might make some nice Wanderers …

1 minute ago, Filius said:

Sad to hear that they aren't good. But I'll follow your advice and mix them in somehow. I planned on replacing the crew with (bits of) Eternal Guards and/or Wild Riders, but keeping the model otherwise more or less like it is. It fit's so nicely into the story that starts to evolve in my head.

By the way: Those Blowpipe Fey Conversions of Tidings, you mentioned … I haven't seen them, aaand couldn't find them, even though I did try some matching keyword searches and stalked Tidings History … do you have any hint, where to find them?!

He posted photos of them a while back. I'm not sure which thread, its either this one or he had his own thread about Hurricanum conversion for Wanderers - Also worth a look its an awesome model hes done. Search for tidings and you may find something? Sorry I cant be more specific - no doubt he will see this and post himself. 

As for Sky Chariots check the Swift hawks thread as they may have had some successes with it. It takes time to learn how to use the less obviously powerful units and again it comes down to what you want out of this game - powerful warscrolls or cool looking army - we strive for both but we cant always have it. :D

I think the Skycutter would look great in a Wanderers army, and I would probably field one if it just had a little more firepower. It seems like its battlefield role should be to move quickly around table edges, harassing enemy units that are sitting on objectives and forcing them to decide whether to take damage or give up objectives to deal with the 'cutter. Trouble is, it has such wimpy firepower that theres no reason to not just ignore it all game. If they bumped up the bolt thrower to three shots then it would have my attention. 

Archived