Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Nice work @Yeled the combo of witch elf head (?) and sister of the thorn body looks amazing! I really like what you did with her armor, especially the scalemail on her skirt. Are the vines coming out of the ground bits from the dryad box?

Durthu bits maybe? Not so much skulls on the others bits I think but might be mistaken

On 11/25/2017 at 7:30 PM, WABBIT said:

Awesome work Yeled! Love it. :D

Thanks!

On 11/25/2017 at 9:03 PM, awcamawn said:

Nice work @Yeled the combo of witch elf head (?) and sister of the thorn body looks amazing! I really like what you did with her armor, especially the scalemail on her skirt. Are the vines coming out of the ground bits from the dryad box?

So it's a combo of several sets. You are right that it's a Witch Aelf head on a  Sister of the Thorn body. The bits on the ground are various parts out of the Start Collecting Sylvaneth set, but to be honest I can't recall what comes from where in terms of Dryads or Treelord. The spear is made of a SotT staff and a Wild Rider Wild Hunter sword. I also used a Wilder Rider mask (she's got it hung on the side of her mount), a Sister of the Watch sword, and the bow and quiver from the Glade Guard set. I wanted her to have all the weapons called for by the rules. And of course she's riding a Thunder Wolf...this one from the Logan Grimnar on Stormrider set.

Here she is leading her Wild Rider crew (before the great Compendium purge she could theoretically add to their charge value).

IMG_20171126_094212.jpg.b2508b840d149057be12716e4d8a4cb3.jpg

And here's a detail of the scale armor.

IMG_20171126_094634.jpg.497b5d5a619a0fce6d46a909d621d515.jpg

Love the conversion man!!!!!!!!!! I was kinda doing the same thing with same knight but different mount but then I left it there as I was missing some pieces. Coming around just in these day with a couple new models for my mixed order wanderer themed army and will post them shortly but man......that's pretty awesome and LOVE the base with all the autumn fallen leaves. Just great!!!!

26 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

Looks even better with the wild riders @Yeled. Did you hand paint the banner design or did you find a stencil to spray though? 

I agree. She looks really nice with the Wild Riders. I only wish she buffed them. Even with the old Compendium rules she only buffed them if I made her the general, which I would never really do. If she were officially a Wanderer and added to their charge with a regular ability that would be ideal. Ah well.

I did the banner by hand. I practiced it with a pencil a couple times on a piece of paper, then drew it with a very fine brush on the model. I was prepared to paint over the whole thing because I thought it wouldn't work, but it surprisingly turned out. The key was to just twist and turn the "vine" and split it appropriately. It was less about getting the design exactly right and more about just turning it at the"right" places to make it look organic.

6 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

Love the conversion man!!!!!!!!!! I was kinda doing the same thing with same knight but different mount but then I left it there as I was missing some pieces. Coming around just in these day with a couple new models for my mixed order wanderer themed army and will post them shortly but man......that's pretty awesome and LOVE the base with all the autumn fallen leaves. Just great!!!!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it.

The base is super easy. It's just some mixed spices from the spice cabinet. I soaked a small percentage of them in spring green just to make some contrast, and then it's simply a matter of taking the mix and sprinkling it on a base covered in a layer of glue. Knock off the lose stuff and you're done.

2 minutes ago, Yeled said:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it.

The base is super easy. It's just some mixed spices from the spice cabinet. I soaked a small percentage of them in spring green just to make some contrast, and then it's simply a matter of taking the mix and sprinkling it on a base covered in a layer of glue. Knock off the lose stuff and you're done.

ahahahahah, they must smell pretty well too then! Multy-relaxation therpy!! Fun and smell-therpy! Good one mate!!!

14 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

ahahahahah, they must smell pretty well too then! Multy-relaxation therpy!! Fun and smell-therpy! Good one mate!!!

Oh, yeah, and I also opened a couple cheap green tea bags to get the finer stuff. It really reads as dirt.

2 hours ago, Yeled said:

Thanks!

So it's a combo of several sets. You are right that it's a Which Aelf head on a  Sister of the Thorn body. The bits on the ground are various parts out of the Start Collecting Sylvaneth set, but to be honest I can't recall what comes from where in terms of Dryads or Treelord. The spear is made of a SotT staff and a Wild Rider Wild Hunter sword. I also used a Wilder Rider mask (she's got it hung on the side of her mount), a Sister of the Watch sword, and the bow and quiver from the Glade Guard set. I wanted her to have all the weapons called for by the rules. And of course she's riding a Thunder Wolf...this one from the Logan Grimnar on Stormrider set.

Here she is leading her Wild Rider crew (before the great Compendium purge she could theoretically add to their charge value).

IMG_20171126_094212.jpg.b2508b840d149057be12716e4d8a4cb3.jpg

And here's a detail of the scale armor.

IMG_20171126_094634.jpg.497b5d5a619a0fce6d46a909d621d515.jpg

very nice. I used the smaller ones for my sister's ^^ but may get a bigger one ;)

20171126_191436.png

20171126_191354.png

20171126_191324.png

20171126_191304.png

20171126_191244.png

@tea_wild_owl Wow nice work Love the colour scheme and use of Stag horns. I think the smaller wolves look great with Elves as they arent as big as space marines so they work well. Maybe use a thunder wolf for the champion or random hero? I have some wolves too for my next project. Some great ideas and painting going on out there. Yeled you've sparked off another flurry of pics :D

Makes me want to finish my Hurricanum idea which is half built. Keep the photos coming people. It all great inspiration (Which I am definitely going to copy and credit the folks in this thread for :)

Once I finish re-organising my office and selling off all the stuff I don't use anymore I will start on my Wood elves again. Got my display cabinet last week see below. No more hiding in boxes :D

Ran out of room already so i need another for my Treemen, Alarielle, and another army of High Elves.

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

21 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

very nice. I used the smaller ones for my sister's ^^ but may get a bigger one ;)

20171126_191436.png

20171126_191354.png

20171126_191324.png

20171126_191304.png

20171126_191244.png

Those are great! I really like the antlers on the heads. That's a great touch. I do have a set of the smaller wolves that were going to be hunting hounds (when they could be summoned), but I've been tempted more than once to build Sisters with them.

While we are talking conversion:this is my wip hurricanum for mixed order wanderer/sylvaneth (I'll admit it's a bit more sylvaneth in appearance because.. like the conversions above a bit more high fantasy is my thing).  The metal is bend at the edges to resemble the curl it has in the midline. The metal rests on the extending points from its head/ neck/middle section. This is all still not attached so the astrolabium is tilted a bit. I'd been contemplating a few ways to put the astrolabium on the beetle (howda/platform on its back/ on the branches where alarielle  is supposed to go) but this way it's a bit less just glued on... And I think the whole contraption might remain removable which is a pro of sorts.

I I'm contemplating adding curved metal support on the lateral sides between the legs for a bit added strenght.

Also a Branchwych will be on its back

Not to late to make changes if you really think it's ridiculous.

Pls let me hear opinions.

1511724370880914405278.jpg

1511724863086-1139688972.jpg

4 hours ago, Yeled said:

she's riding a Thunder Wolf...this one from the Logan Grimnar on Stormrider set.

Thanks for the breakdown, looks like the wolves from that set have fewer sci fi bits than the Thunderwolf cavalry, good to know! The scale leg armor for Sisters of the Thorn and Wild Riders really looks cool with each scale picked out in a variety of colors, so thanks for the close-up. Will have to try that in the future.

1 hour ago, tea_wild_owl said:

20171126_191324.png

Awesome, didn't know how the Sisters would size up next to the Fenrisian Wolves but they work as mounts absolutely perfectly! Love the way you've done the poses, particularly this one ^ here. Looks as if mount and rider were sculpted to fit together.

46 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

1511724863086-1139688972.jpg

Great to see so many creative Wanderer conversions around TGA! Really nice work! Looks cool, if a little delicate; I would definitely consider reinforcing it as you say. From this side shot you can see better how high the astrolabium is raised above the beetle, lowering it a bit might also make it more stable. Just a suggestion, if stability is good as is, never me mind.

The only downside I see in using the beetle for this purpose is that the super-incredibly-awesome model of Alarielle herself is going unused! If, as you say, the astrolabium could be removable that's one thing, the other option is utilizing the Alarielle model for some equally awesome conversion! She's got wings and a legendary weapon so... Celestant-Prime? B|

It's actually not raised that high.. the front strut is going right along those... tusk thing (you know what i mean .. and I know they aren't tusks) and then arcing in. I can't lower it because the branches then would be in the way of the back strut (and the front one would really need to make a  rather hard curve  so even if I'd left the branches of it would look kinda odd with a hard bend there .. but I first constructed the beetle so was past that point before thinking about it anyway).

Yeah I'm contemplating what to do with her. Can anyone tell me how much size difference there is between her and a venerator?

6 hours ago, Yeled said:

Those are great! I really like the antlers on the heads. That's a great touch. I do have a set of the smaller wolves that were going to be hunting hounds (when they could be summoned), but I've been tempted more than once to build Sisters with them.

You could do both, just stick the riders on when you need them and leave them off when you want to use hounds. Cant do both at the same time tho :D need more for that.

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

While we are talking conversion:this is my wip hurricanum for mixed order wanderer/sylvaneth (I'll admit it's a bit more sylvaneth in appearance because.. like the conversions above a bit more high fantasy is my thing).  The metal is bend at the edges to resemble the curl it has in the midline. The metal rests on the extending points from its head/ neck/middle section. This is all still not attached so the astrolabium is tilted a bit. I'd been contemplating a few ways to put the astrolabium on the beetle (howda/platform on its back/ on the branches where alarielle  is supposed to go) but this way it's a bit less just glued on... And I think the whole contraption might remain removable which is a pro of sorts.

I I'm contemplating adding curved metal support on the lateral sides between the legs for a bit added strenght.

I heard a lot about this idea,  It's great to finally see the idea in the flesh! :D It looks great nice job @Aezeal!

The Base is far too large so obviously I would never allow you to play it as it's not legal....or would i  :P Only Tourney Junkies would say no to letting you field such an awesome conversion. I've never played in one :) but if you do let's hope you find like minded players and event organisers who agree to let you field it, i'm sure non event gamers would. You could always replace the model with the correct size base for measuring radius/range purposes and then swap it back. It's no hardship. ;)

In terms of supporting the Astrolabia thingy You could wrap vines and leaves around the supports to disguise them?  They could be leaves flying around in support summoned by magical means or as vines reaching up to support it? Or perhaps it's floating suspended above it and the vines are there to anchor it to the beatle? 

Could you fit a Treekin or Kurnoth hunter on the mount with the treeman vines Arm reaching up and holding it? You know the treeman arm+shooting vines I mean? Not sure if the arm is too big for Hunter/treekin? There is a  Witch Elf on foot model that has a great pose reaching outward that could also sprout vines to wrap around the Labe?

Like this dude C'tan to orion conversion. See the leaves? Just some brain storms

C'tan, Conversion, Pro-painted, Special Character, Wood Elves.jpg

I saw that conversion for Orion on Google images and looks awesome!!!!!!!

BTW guys all your models are sick and to be honest I don t really know why a modeling company like GW would prioritize wanting new range customers when the existing ones are people who put out these kind of things and constantly putting them down sending all their fantastic converted model to a Compendium.

6 hours ago, Yeled said:

Oh, yeah, and I also opened a couple cheap green tea bags to get the finer stuff. It really reads as dirt.

One thing I am doing for my bases is used coffèe ground. As for the tea bag it has the same look but I find it a bit finer and more similar to actual soil. I find it  great!

p.s.: BTW how could he have done those leaves on Orion?!?!?!?

13 hours ago, WABBIT said:

I heard a lot about this idea,  It's great to finally see the idea in the flesh! :D It looks great nice job @Aezeal!

The Base is far too large so obviously I would never allow you to play it as it's not legal....or would i  :P Only Tourney Junkies would say no to letting you field such an awesome conversion. I've never played in one :) but if you do let's hope you find like minded players and event organisers who agree to let you field it, i'm sure non event gamers would. You could always replace the model with the correct size base for measuring radius/range purposes and then swap it back. It's no hardship. ;)

In terms of supporting the Astrolabia thingy You could wrap vines and leaves around the supports to disguise them?  They could be leaves flying around in support summoned by magical means or as vines reaching up to support it? Or perhaps it's floating suspended above it and the vines are there to anchor it to the beatle? 

Could you fit a Treekin or Kurnoth hunter on the mount with the treeman vines Arm reaching up and holding it? You know the treeman arm+shooting vines I mean? Not sure if the arm is too big for Hunter/treekin? There is a  Witch Elf on foot model that has a great pose reaching outward that could also sprout vines to wrap around the Labe?

Like this dude C'tan to orion conversion. See the leaves? Just some brain storms

C'tan, Conversion, Pro-painted, Special Character, Wood Elves.jpg

Hmm if I use vines I'd make them lines keeping the floating astrolabium  in, then I'd remove the curves and just use rather straight metal and disguise it. Now I've gone for the feel of metal the same as the handle on its neck. I think I'm keeping the wych though.. A  sylvaneth one there appeals to me. I'm going to have a look at those treeman bits you mention.. but I don't think it can be used as you say... Not strong enough to  support the astrolabium. I think most bit that look nice won't have the strenght to support it which is why I used the metal. Nice orion pic in your post btw.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

My suggestion for the Base problem is somehow drawing the 120 oval size on the Base or using such a Base as a small hill so it can be measured to and from.

yeah i'm sure there are various ways you can accommodate the correct base size. The oval hill or an oval flagstoned area is A good idea. Also in combat you may need to leave room for models to occupy the large round base (up to the legal oval boundary on the large round base) so it doesn't affect combat too much. There is also the LOS issue as the beetle is pretty big but honestly I think they are very minor issues and personally I would not have a problem with it. What worries me are the players who might take issue but thankfully I haven't met any like that so far.

I recently heard a good quote from a D&D forum that I think applies to all games. "Fun Trumps Story Trumps Rules". 

As long as your opponents share that philosophy you should always have good experiences in the game. 

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Hmm if I use vines I'd make them lines keeping the floating astrolabium  in, then I'd remove the curves and just use rather straight metal and disguise it. Now I've gone for the feel of metal the same as the handle on its neck. I think I'm keeping the wych though.. A  sylvaneth one there appeals to me. I'm going to have a look at those treeman bits you mention.. but I don't think it can be used as you say... Not strong enough to  support the astrolabium. I think most bit that look nice won't have the strenght to support it which is why I used the metal. Nice orion pic in your post btw.

You could (like yeled has done in his photo of the thunderwolf leaping through the air) use a clear rod for support of the Astrolabe and still use the shooting vines idea but yes I agree on its own the vines wouldn't support the Astrolabe. Just generating ideas really, get an idea of look you want then figure out the technicalities of how to get there. There is always a way.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:37 PM, Aezeal said:

Have you tried something that make it seems that it floats? something like Nagash's spirits or the Celestant Prime energy tornado (or whatever the hell that thing he has sustaining him!!!!!!XD). I think that with that particular metal wire, which it seems very thick, as the actual sustain and a bit of work with some green stuff on the outside you could end up with the same effect. 

I mean I can see your idea too, mine was just brainstorming:P.

Speaking of brainstorming I am gonna show off a bit too now :P.

this is what I will be adding to my 2k list just because I made them and f**k competitiveness:

IMG_20171127_003926.JPG.f71f62885bc62f60d1b6b66ba5a4799e.JPG

IMG_20170425_181442.jpg.c91ef6739239b5e07fbee5edfcbb1a2b.jpg

Glade Dragon/Dragon Lord/Sisters of the twilight

IMG_20170425_181300.jpg.b84dafa1b08d3e4a5e8191c48c98c9aa.jpg

Warhawk raiders

I know they are a bit flashy but my only attempt to a light box went terribly wrong xD

They are all gonna fit a Night elves Warcraft theme and my next one is going to be an Hurricanum too, (matching a Tree of Life with all the wisps around looking like planets). Pretty excited to field all these bad boys.

Wow those Warhawks especially look nice.

About the support for my astrolabium :

The Durthu bits I have won't really cover the metal I have I think also they are usually not very straight

I don't like the clear rods.

I only read frozens idea about the Nagash like swirls after I worked on it today and  before I decide I might try something like that (however using metal to resemble  a metal quadrapod will be easier than using it to create magical swirls so doubt I can do it I'm not that much of a converter, don't work with greenstuff etc to do real modelling).

Anyway this is where I'm at now. Added lateral struts, balanced the wych on the back and put the 120 x 92 Base below it... The astrolabium  is really big in comparison  too it in my opinion.. does a normal hurricanum really look good on that Base?. . Shouldn't it be a size bigger?

1511820283538-691202030.jpg

Archived