Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yeled said:

Well, I am now the proud owner of a Frostheart Phoenix. I've build the phoenix, but I'm deciding whether to build the anointed as the high aelf that came with the model or to proxy in a Wanderer model to ride it instead.

WANDERER!!!

1 minute ago, WABBIT said:

WANDERER!!!

Yep, that's what I decided. Now I just have to piece something together. I've been playing with different combinations of bits I have. I think the Phoenix has a bit of a highborn look about it, especially with the saddle on it, even as a Wanderer. I may play with Eternal Guard bodies or something like that if I can make them sit on anything.

7 hours ago, Yeled said:

Yep, that's what I decided. Now I just have to piece something together. I've been playing with different combinations of bits I have. I think the Phoenix has a bit of a highborn look about it, especially with the saddle on it, even as a Wanderer. I may play with Eternal Guard bodies or something like that if I can make them sit on anything.

How about forgetting the saddle and make a guy standing on it like the old warhawks (you could probably just use one of those guys anyway. Or a wardancer model lying around.. they seem balancing on stuff all the time.. 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

How about forgetting the saddle and make a guy standing on it like the old warhawks (you could probably just use one of those guys anyway. Or a wardancer model lying around.. they seem balancing on stuff all the time.. 

I thought about that but it didn't look right to me. Frankly, I think the old warhawk rider models looked kinda awkward. One option I have is the sister of the thorn body with a variant head, holding a long spear with a big blade on the end, like I put together for my Glade Lord on Great Stag (proxying in a thunder wolf). But I'm not sure I want two heroes looking so similar. I am currently working on variations on that theme, though. The wardancer idea is interesting. I don't have any old wardancer parts but maybe I could get some or some witch aelf bodies or look for something similar. Thanks for the idea.

Anyway, I'm going to take my time deciding how to replace the anointed. It will be easier to paint with no rider anyway.

1 hour ago, Yeled said:

I thought about that but it didn't look right to me. Frankly, I think the old warhawk rider models looked kinda awkward. One option I have is the sister of the thorn body with a variant head, holding a long spear with a big blade on the end, like I put together for my Glade Lord on Great Stag (proxying in a thunder wolf). But I'm not sure I want two heroes looking so similar. I am currently working on variations on that theme, though. The wardancer idea is interesting. I don't have any old wardancer parts but maybe I could get some or some witch aelf bodies or look for something similar. Thanks for the idea.

Anyway, I'm going to take my time deciding how to replace the anointed. It will be easier to paint with no rider anyway.

I was going to suggest witch Aelves like my wardancer conversion pics earlier in this thread as they have wonderful movement poses. Add some Wild rider, Sisters ot T or Eternal guard heads and weapons and you're good to go. Perhaps drop the saddle as Aezel suggests or fabricate a more nature formed chair from bits of Sylvaneth models or wyld woods or even twigs from outside. 

Have you looked at the LOTR Mirkwood Elves? They have nice movement poses that may suit a Phoenix Surfing Aelf :D I've seen some nice Warhawk conversions using them. They look better than my old Glade Guard surfers anyway.  You know you are going to have to post pictures of progress and a finished painted model now don't you :D

2 hours ago, Yeled said:

Yeah I admit I never really liked the surfers.. they came out when I was out of the hobby but after I returned I never felt the need to replace my older smaller (sitting) riders with those models. Doesn't either the lord on stag or the lord on eagle have a sort of lying pose on the back of the beastie.. might be most realistic. However something with thin bridle of twine might work too. Or just use the saddle and the legs of the original model and put a waist/chest etc from something wood elf on there.

Played a 1000 point game last night with pure Wanderers. It was the scenario with weird deployment and 4 objectives. Too lazy to write a detailed bat rep, but the gist of it went like this:

1. We deployed, each in position to hold our two objectives. Opponent (Khorne) spaced his army (mostly bloodcrushers) out to prevent teleporting along his edge and partially up the sides. I gave him first turn. He grabbed his objectives, buffed his general (scary guy on bloodcrusher with 2+ rerollable save) and moved him up towards one of my objectives along with 3 more bloodcrushers.
  2. Having nowhere to teleport on his edge, I teleported to where he was pushing and shot the unit of bloodcrushers off the table. even with -3 rending I could only do one or two wounds to the general though. 
  3. He wins the initiative and gives me the double turn (which I don't want, since I have nothing to do). I can't teleport anywhere and his general is threatening my objective, so I just stand still and shoot him. I do no damage. 
  4. On his turn he manages to 'pray' my frontline out of position by making them run, then he charges them. Other than that, he stands still and blocks teleporting, and I still have a threat to deal with (his general pushing my objective).
  5. He wins initiative and takes the turn. He mortal wounds the rest of my frontline to death with a prayer, then charges my Sisters of the Watch with his general, killing all of them. I did one damage to him. At this point he has captured my objective because I thought he would be tied up with my frontline one more combat phase.
  6. Here's the rest of the game in a nutshell: I have to take my objective back and take one of his. I teleport towards one of his others, since there's a slight opening now. But because I can't run or anything, I can't actually take the objective. My Eternal Guard on the other side of the table have been defending their objective easily from some demon thing but I have to send them towards his other one and capture it just by having more models. They get halfway there. 

On his turn he simply stands still and defends what he has, giving me the one that the GG are pushing since he'll still be ahead. I teleport two characters back towards the first objective I was defending to take it, but again, because I can't run or anything I can't grab it till the final turn, where it's too late. The Eternal Guard charge his bloodcrushers and get killed off, since they are charging and don't get cover bonuses, and are not in their stance. 

I lose the game by a significant margin.

In summary:  He spread out to block teleporting and spent the entire game standing still, while his general on bloodcrusher killed off 5 Liberators, 10 Sisters of the Watch, a Waystalker and 8 GG by himself. Because Wanderers have no mortal wounds to speak off, I couldn't do more than 5 wounds to his general over the entire game of my army shooting almost exclusively at him. I didn't have anything that could actually tie him down either, so he chomped through my army and took the objective. 

My opponent is a great guy and a smart, competitive player. We talked about the game and he was like "yeah... there's really nothing you could have done much differently". He was able to easily control where I could teleport, and he had no problem pushing me off an objective simply because he had one model that had enough armor and damage to do ignore my shooting. Without mortal wounds, I couldn't do ****** all to him. 

He went from reading the Wanderer allegiance and thinking it was insanely good to playing against it and realizing it was really pretty bad for a game with objectives in it. And the scenario we were playing was arguably the BEST scenario for it (four objectives 12" from table edges). 

7 hours ago, Tidings said:

Played a 1000 point game last night with pure Wanderers. It was the scenario with weird deployment and 4 objectives. Too lazy to write a detailed bat rep, but the gist of it went like this:

1. We deployed, each in position to hold our two objectives. Opponent (Khorne) spaced his army (mostly bloodcrushers) out to prevent teleporting along his edge and partially up the sides. I gave him first turn. He grabbed his objectives, buffed his general (scary guy on bloodcrusher with 2+ rerollable save) and moved him up towards one of my objectives along with 3 more bloodcrushers.
  2. Having nowhere to teleport on his edge, I teleported to where he was pushing and shot the unit of bloodcrushers off the table. even with -3 rending I could only do one or two wounds to the general though. 
  3. He wins the initiative and gives me the double turn (which I don't want, since I have nothing to do). I can't teleport anywhere and his general is threatening my objective, so I just stand still and shoot him. I do no damage. 
  4. On his turn he manages to 'pray' my frontline out of position by making them run, then he charges them. Other than that, he stands still and blocks teleporting, and I still have a threat to deal with (his general pushing my objective).
  5. He wins initiative and takes the turn. He mortal wounds the rest of my frontline to death with a prayer, then charges my Sisters of the Watch with his general, killing all of them. I did one damage to him. At this point he has captured my objective because I thought he would be tied up with my frontline one more combat phase.
  6. Here's the rest of the game in a nutshell: I have to take my objective back and take one of his. I teleport towards one of his others, since there's a slight opening now. But because I can't run or anything, I can't actually take the objective. My Eternal Guard on the other side of the table have been defending their objective easily from some demon thing but I have to send them towards his other one and capture it just by having more models. They get halfway there. 

On his turn he simply stands still and defends what he has, giving me the one that the GG are pushing since he'll still be ahead. I teleport two characters back towards the first objective I was defending to take it, but again, because I can't run or anything I can't grab it till the final turn, where it's too late. The Eternal Guard charge his bloodcrushers and get killed off, since they are charging and don't get cover bonuses, and are not in their stance. 

In summary:  He spread out to block teleporting and spent the entire game standing still, while his general on bloodcrusher killed off 5 Liberators, 10 Sisters of the Watch, a Waystalker and 8 GG by himself. Because Wanderers have no mortal wounds to speak off, I couldn't do more than 5 wounds to his general over the entire game of my army shooting almost exclusively at him. I didn't have anything that could actually tie him down either, so he chomped through my army and took the objective. 

My opponent is a great guy and a smart, competitive player. We talked about the game and he was like "yeah... there's really nothing you could have done much differently". He was able to easily control where I could teleport, and he had no problem pushing me off an objective simply because he had one model that had enough armor and damage to do ignore my shooting. Without mortal wounds, I couldn't do ****** all to him. 

He went from reading the Wanderer allegiance and thinking it was insanely good to playing against it and realizing it was really pretty bad for a game with objectives in it. And the scenario we were playing was arguably the BEST scenario for it (four objectives 12" from table edges). 

What was his general? Was it a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut? Do you remember how he buffed it to make his save 2+ rerollable?

4 hours ago, Yeled said:

What was his general? Was it a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut? Do you remember how he buffed it to make his save 2+ rerollable?

I think so? I don't know Khorne that well tbh. He had two Slaughterpriests following it around, mostly staying out of line of sight for most of the prayers. He'd pop out for a turn to heal it or whatever. He may have had a trait or artifact to help, but I think he was a 3+ base, +1 for bronzeflesh or whatever, then +1 for cover half the time. 

12 hours ago, Tidings said:

Yeah 12 inch means you can even fail to get there with a run the turn after a teleport. It's actually the reason I'm considering replacing some EG with wild riders, much more expensive ofcorse and even more fragile so you can't let yourself get charged (which to me did happen a few times) but at least they can move and run the turn after teleporting ( if needed even charge ) and be sure to claim an objective 17-20.5 inch from the table edge the turn after teleporting. However just getting a phoenix or other fast flier ally might help with that same problem (but is ofc also double the points). Reavers might be a good option in a shooty army too. Sisters could do it too, not cheap but combining this function, their spell (no real good targets for it without EG though) and being an unbinder might make it playable. It's annoying you can't get either them or the spellweaver for the batallion though, I'm pretty sure I don't want both. If it was 3 heroes, 4 units, prince and one cav unit the batallion would be so much less annoying.

A complete army with high saves would be annoying though I guess he has to pay points for it too, so he'd have less total wounds on the table. I think games vs stormcast might go like that too. Still 30 shots a 3 rend should hurt the general a bit.

@Aezeal Well with the teleport you can be 6" in on the table edge. You can't run after teleporting, but the next turn you can move 6" and be standing right on top of the objective. If the objective is 24" in though, like some are, then yeah it basically takes you three whole turns to get to it. If you just deploy a normal army to go for it, you can start 12" in, and one move without running takes you to 18" in, 6" away from the objective. Meaning that the teleport is just slower than running for objectives in almost all scenarios. Reavers will be the best non-flyer unit we can take - they are fairly cheap and can move super fast while shooting. Our -3 rend works when we spam GG in a large game. It works better when you use a Hirricanum and an Amber Wizard to make GG hit/wound on 2+/3+. :/

On another note, it just occurred to me recently that there's a neat trick we can do with our General and Stalker of the Hidden Paths. You don't have to keep your army clumped up to go to any table edge. Lets say on one turn you send your EG to the opposite side of the table of your GG for some reason. Now they can only teleport on their table edge, since they are out of range of the general. However, on your next turn, you can teleport your GG anywhere you want since they are in range of your general, and THEN you can teleport your general to your EG. Finally, you can teleport your EG wherever you want now, since the general is right next to them. Of course your general is now by himself in this scenario, but you get the idea. The important thing is we can have the general in two places each movement phase, activating his trait on two separate units each phase. 

Dunno why I didn't think of this earlier. 

19 minutes ago, Tidings said:

@Aezeal Well with the teleport you can be 6" in on the table edge. You can't run after teleporting, but the next turn you can move 6" and be standing right on top of the objective. If the objective is 24" in though, like some are, then yeah it basically takes you three whole turns to get to it. If you just deploy a normal army to go for it, you can start 12" in, and one move without running takes you to 18" in, 6" away from the objective. Meaning that the teleport is just slower than running for objectives in almost all scenarios. Reavers will be the best non-flyer unit we can take - they are fairly cheap and can move super fast while shooting. Our -3 rend works when we spam GG in a large game. It works better when you use a Hirricanum and an Amber Wizard to make GG hit/wound on 2+/3+. :/

On another note, it just occurred to me recently that there's a neat trick we can do with our General and Stalker of the Hidden Paths. You don't have to keep your army clumped up to go to any table edge. Lets say on one turn you send your EG to the opposite side of the table of your GG for some reason. Now they can only teleport on their table edge, since they are out of range of the general. However, on your next turn, you can teleport your GG anywhere you want since they are in range of your general, and THEN you can teleport your general to your EG. Finally, you can teleport your EG wherever you want now, since the general is right next to them. Of course your general is now by himself in this scenario, but you get the idea. The important thing is we can have the general in two places each movement phase, activating his trait on two separate units each phase. 

Dunno why I didn't think of this earlier. 

Yeah but it's risky if you teleport too 2 locations.. not to mention you might give the opponent more chances to charge (and.. to kill a unit of ~2x min size you need more than half the shots I had in a 1500 army nearly full archers). If you teleport them too 2 places it will put the general at risk if you need to teleport both out if they get in trouble (and basicly any unit looking at GG means the GG are in trouble. I mean if you teleport one group away, then teleport general too the other group (which is presumably in danger) then you can teleport the GG away.. but the general will be in danger by himself.  I'd'probably keep them together unless you REALLY needed to split to take objectives. 

Now it's been released Does anyone know if living city allegiance allows non sylvaneth units to ignore wyld wood attacks? How do living city armies get wyld woods in the first place? Do we have to use a sylvaneth army and ally in the rest? 

I'm not sure how it benefits wanderers, storm cast and sylvaneth as they can already teleport....I'm hoping the living city allegiance ability will let wanderers join forces  with sylvaneth again without being eaten by their forests. If not I don't see the point in it. It offers nothing unless you get to deploy wyld woods as part of the allegiance ability otherwise you just have to use sylvaneth army and ally in the rest which is pointless as sylvaneth armies are hostile to anyone outside their allegiance. Any clarity on this is very welcome :)

7 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah but it's risky if you teleport too 2 locations.. not to mention you might give the opponent more chances to charge (and.. to kill a unit of ~2x min size you need more than half the shots I had in a 1500 army nearly full archers). If you teleport them too 2 places it will put the general at risk if you need to teleport both out if they get in trouble (and basicly any unit looking at GG means the GG are in trouble. I mean if you teleport one group away, then teleport general too the other group (which is presumably in danger) then you can teleport the GG away.. but the general will be in danger by himself.  I'd'probably keep them together unless you REALLY needed to split to take objectives. 

I was more referring to the mechanic as being usable that way, not saying it is always a good idea. Sometimes you leave a unit somewhere and then want to teleport it to another table edge, but you also need your archers by the general somewhere else. You can still teleport both to any table edge. That was the only point I was making, since before I was playing it as everything moves at the same time and the general can only help those around him that turn. 

1 hour ago, WABBIT said:

Now it's been released Does anyone know if living city allegiance allows non sylvaneth units to ignore wyld wood attacks? How do living city armies get wyld woods in the first place? Do we have to use a sylvaneth army and ally in the rest? 

I'm not sure how it benefits wanderers, storm cast and sylvaneth as they can already teleport....I'm hoping the living city allegiance ability will let wanderers join forces  with sylvaneth again without being eaten by their forests. If not I don't see the point in it. It offers nothing unless you get to deploy wyld woods as part of the allegiance ability otherwise you just have to use sylvaneth army and ally in the rest which is pointless as sylvaneth armies are hostile to anyone outside their allegiance. Any clarity on this is very welcome :)

I feel like the wyldwood bit is tacked on, and mostly for narrative play. The allegiance offers no protection from Wyldwoods nor any way to deploy them. I think the only way to get one in matched play without Sylvaneth allegiance is the Treelord Ancient. But as a whole the allegiance could be very useful with certain battleplans, again particularly in narrative play. The Firestorm book comes with a set of new 'Surprise Attack' battleplans, and in these or similar battleplans a Living City army being 'ambushed' could hold many key units in reserve and then deploy them in any movement phase to turn the tables and ambush the ambushers, instead of being limited and hemmed in by disadvantageous deployment zone size and position. Looking at the special Firestorm battleplans specifically, they say to ignore normal victory conditions and instead score kill points at the end of the fifth battle round. So a Living City army being ambushed could simply hold all units in reserve and ignore the normal disadvantage the defending player gets on the first battle round in each of these battleplans. So I think it's an awesome fluffy ability for narrative play that lets my Wanderer army almost impossible to catch off guard and surprise attack. 

Also fyi the Firestorm includes some reusable 'stickers' specifically for Wanderers! It's like we a real AoS faction now! :P We made it guys!IMG_20170930_221940.jpg.aa7cc6f97703403eca917c9bb7001528.jpg

@Tidings I have used the Prince in that fashion, with the double teleport. It is situational but still good to remember you can do it.

And remember that Wildform only gives +1 to wound in the combat phase. So no buff in the glade guard unfortunately. Considering how hit and miss Wanderers are I just go balls deep with mystical terrain for the rerolls now. Need all the help we can get. 

1 hour ago, Origin said:

@Tidings I have used the Prince in that fashion, with the double teleport. It is situational but still good to remember you can do it.

And remember that Wildform only gives +1 to wound in the combat phase. So no buff in the glade guard unfortunately. Considering how hit and miss Wanderers are I just go balls deep with mystical terrain for the rerolls now. Need all the help we can get. 

Wow I totally missread that, so did everyone else I know. :( Thanks for pointing that out haha. Man when I see all the crazy synergy between SCE, Khorne, Sylvaneth etc I can't help but feel bitter about how painfully mediocre Wanderers are. What synergy we had got removed with the compendiums. Sorry I'm in a salty mood tonight. 

No one uses special terrain rules in my area, so I can't rely on that.

41 minutes ago, Tidings said:

No one uses special terrain rules in my area, so I can't rely on that.

Wow, seriously... 

It is a huge part of the game. I have regular opponents that will take the ****** side of the board just to avoid mystical terrain. 

Start using it dude, with the teleport shenanigans you can really make good use of the extra rules. 

I am particularly fond of sacrificing some GG for +1 to hit using damned terrain,  only to have the spell weaver raise them back again. 

13 hours ago, Origin said:

Wow, seriously... 

It is a huge part of the game. I have regular opponents that will take the ****** side of the board just to avoid mystical terrain. 

Start using it dude, with the teleport shenanigans you can really make good use of the extra rules. 

I am particularly fond of sacrificing some GG for +1 to hit using damned terrain,  only to have the spell weaver raise them back again. 

there was a survey that found that terrain rules were mostly ignored in North America, but used quite often in Europe and UK. Based on the last three places I've lived, all in NA, I'd say that seems pretty accurate so far. :P

2 hours ago, Tidings said:

there was a survey that found that terrain rules were mostly ignored in North America, but used quite often in Europe and UK. Based on the last three places I've lived, all in NA, I'd say that seems pretty accurate so far. :P

All the guys in my group ignore it too.. I sometimes try to put a few nice special buildings on there and give them the rules.. but giving every little house a special rule is not happening. 

32 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

All the guys in my group ignore it too.. I sometimes try to put a few nice special buildings on there and give them the rules.. but giving every little house a special rule is not happening. 

in here too (UK) I tried to mention it a couple of time but everybody seem not keen or interested in using them. Seen the balance problem some army (wanderers included) could face might result in a curious variance. Maybe I ill try next time just to suggest something like D3 pieces of terrain with rules.

Archived