How to handle winning to much...

Urbanus

3 hours ago, Allornone said:

Maybe it's not very nice, but the reality is that there are lots of times when the skill disparity between two players is undeniable, and the worse player can't or won't become better.  In that case either the better player limits himself one way or another (by toning down his list, by using an handicap, by trying fluffier games, there are lots of possibilities here) in order to have a close game or you are never going to have one.

So instead of diluting or warping the chosen activity (a game, which is inhetently a competition), pick a different activity.

I can have fun with the same friend dozens of different ways.  If we can't have a competition without destroying what it means to compete, we need to pick something else to do. 

I wouldn't play badketball against Michael Jordan.  I know he's far superior to me in that.  I would not play chess against Bobby Fischer or tennis against Serena Williams.  What's the point?  If, however, each of those people liked Star Wars, I'd gladly have them over for a popcorn and original trilogy marathon.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, hats off to you for having the foresight to spot that there's an issue.  Falling out over games of toy soldiers isn't great by any stretch.

It does sound like your two armies aren't balanced together.  An optimised Khorne list is always going to be successful once it gets into melee - it's what it's designed for and most opponents are going to get a bit of a mauling.  The argument regarding us having underpriced units will be resoled in a couple of weeks time when we get a new Battletome :)

Switching armies for a couple of games is a pretty decent thing to do - providing he's prepared to take on board some suggestions once you've played a game with his Oruks.  I predict that the first thing will be suggesting maxing out some of his units and build up on the abilities that come from this.

Yes, it might be boring painting multiples of the same model but that's something he needs to take on the chin if he wishes to win a game or two, if that's something he really doesn't want to do then as suggested above, Hinterlands or Path to Glory may be a better way forward where you run a smaller force.

On 25/03/2017 at 0:03 AM, Vasshpit said:

Play a few game where you switch your armies. Mix it up.

Thats got to be one of the best ideas ive seen on here.

At the end of the day can you put your hand on your heart and honestly say that you feel you win because you are a better player? (This would include not only your play style but also your unit choices)

If so then your opponent needs to get better. It is a game where the aim is to win after all friendly or otherwise and i find that i lose as much as i win and learn from each instance. Obviously your problem isent what needs to be done but how . . .

So i would champion the above idea. It should send a clear message but should do so in a way that dosent undermine him.

The only other thing i could suggest is for you both to try out some other players if you can. I lost to this one guy over and over and it wasent until i got some advice of another good player and learned somethings from beating aniother player that i was able to go back and put up a much better fight.

He is actually still better than me but the last few battles have come down to the wire and i felt myself become a better player.

Only other option is maybe mix up your games style a little to take the compeitive edge off. perhaps some "different" objectives or giving some narrative games a crack.

9 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Swap armies, you play with his and him yours for a couple of games, it might give him some perspective. 

Or, inform the OP how lists can be dominant. It's easy to feel like a superior general but sometimes it's just the tool you are using that's effective. 

Didnt read every answer here but I dont see the problem in you trying a list which isnt optimized (from your point of view)? Maybe it could be refreshing to stop trying too hard and adapt, otherwise he will search for other opponents in the long run I guess. For the sake of variety maybe you could try a more relaxed attitude overall. You could also give him 200 points more in a 1k point game for example, maybe that helps (in my experience it does). Btw: I dont like the storytwist in your opening post, as it reads like he suddenly becomes the unreasonable and salty person, I wonder what his perspective would read like

57 minutes ago, Falandris said:

Didnt read every answer here but I dont see the problem in you trying a list which isnt optimized (from your point of view)? Maybe it could be refreshing to stop trying too hard and adapt, otherwise he will search for other opponents in the long run I guess. For the sake of variety maybe you could try a more relaxed attitude overall. You could also give him 200 points more in a 1k point game for example, maybe that helps (in my experience it does). Btw: I dont like the storytwist in your opening post, as it reads like he suddenly becomes the unreasonable and salty person, I wonder what his perspective would read like

No no it wasnt my intention to make him sound unreasonable or salty. I think its purely a matter of us playing more games lately to prepare him for his tournament. More games meant more loses and honestly no one likes loosing too much. Adding to that was the presume of him rambling up to the tournament and not really improving...

@RuneBrush

I hope the new battlezone will help out a bit. Even if the points stay more or less the same atleast I can honestly say that those are the point GW intented and not simply them not paying enough attention when producing the GHB... Fingers crossed!

All in all I might have to tell him that if you want to win 40% of the work is in the list building. Its not a 'pleasent' fact but its has always been that way...

Archived