New Flesheater Scrolls

Fenske

We've had a few days to digest the new scrolls, so what does everyone think?

Here's my 2 cents, and things can obviously change...

The Cryptflayers, while a brilliant idea for a new scroll using kitbash fall a bit short rules wise for me. At first glance their war cry seems very underpowered without a way to reduce opponents bravery. Flight, 4 attacks and -1 rend are appealing, but 1 damage leaves me wanting more.

I'm really liking the the Crypthaunter Courtier! It's ability to add Crypt Horrors to existing units looks really good. 

Imagine 2 of these guys rolling 12 dice each hero phase...

I also like the Ghoul King on ZD, his summon Courtier command ability is nice, but I'm not sure it's as good as The Abhorrent GK on foots command ability (+1 to hit and wound is amazing on everything!)

I'll let some of you chime in on your first impressions.

I'm hoping that at some point the Death GA do get something to de-buff bravery. Maybe a battalion warscroll or a spell, it would really benefit a lot of things for Death, not just the crypt flayers. The abhorrent GK is a must, as you say the buffs to hit and wound will seriously enhance the flesh eater stuff in combat, especially with buffed number of attacks. 

They seem like a cohesive faction to me. I like it. And I also like the trend of making former 'champion' models in kits be mini-heroes. Much prefer this method of summoning to the old way, and I hope it becomes the norm. I find it easier to visualize.

The Cryptflayers, while a brilliant idea for a new scroll using kitbash fall a bit short rules wise for me. At first glance their war cry seems very underpowered without a way to reduce opponents bravery. Flight, 4 attacks and -1 rend are appealing, but 1 damage leaves me wanting more.

Which is why we need to keep using Tomb Kings units - Screaming Skull catapults are the only bravery debuff out there. It's quite irksome that so many basic undead units - dead birds (Carrion), dead giants (Bone Giants) and dead archers (Skeleton Archers) are notionally in the Tomb Kings faction. Some of these used to be in the regular undead book - especially the catapult - is it beyond Nagash's abilities to make any artillery.

I think the new scrolls, though I have to admit I haven't read them fully are a great idea. Adding in cool kit bashes as new models gives more options and breathes some sigmar life into an awesome faction that I was already excited about. 

Screaming skull is great and you can totally take it for friendly games and some tournaments. Auto -2 bravery even if the skulls miss. Great to pair with a banshee scream too. 

The courtier idea is interesting and i'm eager to find out more about that story - GW posted a game where the battletome has clues about the whereabouts of a missing goul king.

The new courtier scrolls are crazy in that each one can grow units back up, which brings them in line with other undead regen mechanics. The goul king on geist or dragon can bring in a new courtier each turn. Now you're stacking courtiers and therefore stacking your regeneration. You've lost more by the end of the game but you're regenerating them faster with more courtiers on the board. 

and oh god i want a new varghulf model!

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:14 AM, Fenske said:

but I'm not sure it's as good as The Abhorrent GK on foots command ability (+1 to hit and wound is amazing on everything!)

Did this get changed?  My AoS app warscroll says he has a spell that gives +1 to the Attacks characteristic (Black Hunger) not hit and wound.  His command ability (Summon Men-at-arms) summons 10 crypt ghouls.

Yes! Forgot about the SSC... excellent way to reduce bravery! Some tourneys allow for legacy scrolls, bit I'm sure in friendly play it's allowed. I mean, we can't just get rid of the TK, right?

I'll be more than curious to see how these new "hero" scrolls shake out in SCGT.

opqdan - the Abhorrent Ghoul King on foots' command ability gives +1 to hit and wound for all Flesheater Court models within 18" 

I'm sure a bit of time will see strategies sorted on the new units, one thing for sure that new Flesheater box deal is a great value!

Alright,  deleted and re added. You're right.  That nerfs the GK as General a bit.

The other ability was so cherry! Still, 10 ghouls isn't bad...

Bit of a shame, I really liked the old command ability?

5 minutes ago, Fenske said:

Alright,  deleted and re added. You're right.  That nerfs the GK as General a bit.

The other ability was so cherry! Still, 10 ghouls isn't bad...

Bit of a shame, I really liked the old command ability?

You can technically use the old warscroll if you still have it, though it may not make you very many friends.

From the FAQ under Warscolls and Warscroll Battalions:

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version?
A: You can choose which warscroll to use, but it may be more convenient for your opponent if you use the most recently published version, especially if the earlier version is no longer readily available.

So with the new war scroll, is your money still on the abhorrent ghoul king on foot being the best general? The king on the zombie dragon probably has the best spell, but I'm not crazy about summoning a Courtier (even if it means being able to summon a Varghulf). Out of the three I'm leaning towards the king on Terrorgheist.

I apologize if it was mentioned above. One thing that irks me so much about the new scrolls is there are so many units in the undead faction that do damage or effects based on bravery yet not a single one of the menacing, terrifying creatures of death instill fear or reduce bravery of the enemy. However I absolutely love the new method of summoning. 

7 hours ago, NitosApprentice said:

I apologize if it was mentioned above. One thing that irks me so much about the new scrolls is there are so many units in the undead faction that do damage or effects based on bravery yet not a single one of the menacing, terrifying creatures of death instill fear or reduce bravery of the enemy. However I absolutely love the new method of summoning. 

One thing struck me about the new Crypt Flayers though. They don't get one Fearsome Battle Cry per unit. The rules state "Each model in the unit". So one d6+1 versus the enemies bravery attack isn't all that impressive. When you get at least three of them though, then the mortal wounds could start to add up.

3 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

One thing struck me about the new Crypt Flayers though. They don't get one Fearsome Battle Cry per unit. The rules state "Each model in the unit". So one d6+1 versus the enemies bravery attack isn't all that impressive. When you get at least three of them though, then the mortal wounds could start to add up.

I was thinking that but looking at a lot of the units randomly they're bravery 6/7 on average (granted there's a few armies that are lower), means you're needing a 6 on the D6 to do anything.

Think the better option would've been combine all the shrieks so you get D6 + 1 for every model shrieking.

Also noticed the Terrorghiest is now a D6 + the chart number minus bravery for Shriek rather than 3D6 Minus Bravery.

I'm stoked for the Flesh-Eaters though, but think I'll be building my King Vlagorescu's Ghoulish Host with Crypt Horrors and Crypt Haunter Courtiers.

Think there's some great synergy that's potential with Ghouls getting a stupid amount of extra attacks rerolling hits and wounds. Cannot wait!

Without taking an in-depth look, got a few impressions. The army seems to lack a bit in flexibility, but have a fantastic potential damage output and a surprising amount of tankyness. The new heroes were a good decision. This spreads the buffs out a bit, as they used to be all based around the Ghoul King himself.

Ä much more interesting release than I thought it would be.

15 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

Without taking an in-depth look, got a few impressions. The army seems to lack a bit in flexibility, but have a fantastic potential damage output and a surprising amount of tankyness. The new heroes were a good decision. This spreads the buffs out a bit, as they used to be all based around the Ghoul King himself.

Ä much more interesting release than I thought it would be.

You know that feeling when you inexplicably get tied up in an army and any criticism is personal? I want to argue with you on the lack of flexibility just because, but you're right. There are no dedicated ranged unit, nor any that can take on a defensive role. One magic user in the faction doesn't help any either. So yeah, bit of a one-trick-pony. But when that pony is a wall of rotting teeth and flesh, do you really need anything else? We've got flying ghouls, fast ghouls, big ghouls, ghouls summoning ghouls. And they're all hungry. 

I think one of the things that adds some flexibility to the army is the summoning mechanic, but specifically the ghoul kings' abilities to summon new units from board edges. Instead of having to be in range of the king himself like with other summoning spells, you can bring models on from all over the table to surround your enemy. So instead of shooting distant enemies, you could be plopping 10 ghouls or a courtier behind them every turn. This all depends on how you regulate summoning, if at all, of course.

I love how they turned an uninsteresting an dull unit (ghouls) into a full fleshed and interesting army.

The fluff, army look and playstile fits nicely.

That gives me high hopes about all the other pending armies "reboots"

@Grimnaud I get that feel. I still think Flesh-Eater Courts is an interesting army. But its book of tricks is shorter than the average cat's.

@polarbear makes a good point though. Summoning from any table edge is great. Doesn't give you range, but does let you have some flexibility and cross-table threat.

Just for clarity, are GW saying I can take a "flesh eater terrorgheist" and follow warscroll on the flesh eater tome or I can take a terrorgheist from the beasts of the grave section in the GA book and use that scroll? But the Ghoul Kings, crypt ghasts/horrors are over written and we use the flesh eater tome rules only? Interesting to find out how the tournaments approach it and what GW do in the Generals Handbook. 

Archived