How easy is it to add on to Warhammer Quest..?

flamingwalnut

Hey there! Still new to these forums, but have been lurking a while. As money has started to come in again, I have looked into a few Warhammer purchases, one of which is either Silver Tower or Shadows over Hammerhal. 

My question then is kind of two-fold: One, how easy is it to add to either of these games (can I take a hero's warscroll from Age of Sigmar and just play them in the game? If they need tweaks beyond that, how comprehensive would those tweaks be..?) and second...if you could only get one of the two boxes, and wanted to expand out as much as possible with variety, which box set is the better buy?

I have NONE of the available models, so either box would be new stuff for me. Anyways, thanks for any and all comments. Eager to get more model based gaming in my life!

Many Age of Sigmar heroes already have stats for Silver Tower - and those stats are applicable in Shadows over Hammerhal. It would not necessarily be simple to convert rules for other heroes. I don't have Hammerhal yet, but I expect that to be the more expandable of the two boxes (but you can play Silver Tower solo, whereas you need someone to run the game in Hammerhal). 

Best bet? Buy both!

Shadows over Hammerhal is a better set to build upon, the Silver Tower is relatively linear plot with a randomised route to reach the end, whereas the SoH set is designed around the idea of a more traditional RPG approach which works for progressing further.

Ultimately, having both sets gives more opportunities and ideas, and the bigger your AoS collection is, the more you can try to include.

• 2 weeks later...

There are also homebrew enemies and heroes that people have made and are testing some here and others From reddit and boardgamegeek.com. I'm collecting them into a thread on my blog. I'd recommend buying both Silver Tower and Shadows Over Hammerhal and if you have a small group making up your own adventures and stories after you've played through Silver Tower and Shadows.

Both games pretty linear - IF you follow the book (which you have to do for ST). But with the introduction of a GM in SOH there is nothing stopping you writing your own quest and compiling your own dungeon or adapting one based on DnD/Pathfinder/Warhammer Quest RPG modules (free or paid for) and the free dungeon tiles out there. Seriously Shadows over Hammerhal actually gives great potential, for this because it gives you the basic rules for heroes, for levelling up and for chilling out in Cinderfall. Once you've got these rules and if you've got players willing the sky's the limit.

Expanding the game with your own home rules shouldn't be too hard.

I would suggest by starting with something simple and less-unbalancing like your own rules for some of the less-powerful Adversary groups (Grots, Skaven Clanrats, Skeletons, Zombies etc.)

Theres enough variation between the currently published Adversaries to get a good idea of how their rules were written. 

I've been writing Adversary stats for the Clan Verminus models I own (Clanrats, Stormvermin, Skaven Warlord).

Between referring to the Chaos Grand Alliance book and all the current Adversary stats from Silver Tower and Hammerhal available, it's pretty easy to pick a starting point from the latter and work from there.

Example, Skaven Clanrats are small, agile and diminutive - so the Grot Scuttlings were the perfect place to start. Some stats from Age of Sigmar cross directly over and some need a little tweaking. Other models also have official Hero profiles for WHQ, so again another way to compare how Advarsaries ar written. 

As for writing your own Heroes cards, that's something that I imagine is a bit harder to balance as those'll be the characters you want to play as. It's very easy to overpower your current favourite with your own home-rules!

On March 17, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Sharkbelly said:

Great idea! I've bought up a couple sets of tiles from other GW games like The Burning of Prospero to add in as well. They seem to go very cheap on ebay.

Great idea! Prospero tiles will give larger rooms.

Like the idea of home made tiles but a lot of the plaster mould products don't suit the 32mm default base.

One idea I had was to get a load of 35mm or 40mm MDF squares and sheets of embossed plasticard, stick the squares to the plasticard and then cut them out to allow me to lay them on another plasticard or balsawood sheet before shaping the room.

Walls also work with a balsawood or foamboard core with more textured plasticard

Archived