Start Collecting: Wanderers

mrstimpson38

Hey guys. I've been looking through the order Grand Alliance book recently because my boys are playing Seraphon and Stormcast, and every time I go past the Wanderers Warscrolls I stop and think about how awesome they look and their warscrolls look like they would be fun to play with. With that said, what would an initial collection look like to get to 1k points? Here's what I put together on Warscroll Builder, but please remember that I've no experience with the army and mainly just put this together to see what my first 1k points could look like so I can put together a purchase list. So please break this list down, and all other Wanderer units, and let me know what I should be looking into purchasing to get to my first 1k points of pure Wanderers.

Here are my thoughts on what I have in the list below.

• I really like the Eternal Guard as screens or objective holders
  • The Spellweavers seem great for their points because of Mystic Shield and Blessing of life. It seems like bubble wrapping them with Eternal Guard units would create something that would be very hard to table in low point games.
  • The rangers seem like a great fighty unit to send into bigger threats that I'd finish off with Glade Guards. These two units would be working in unison to take out key threats.
  • The two Way-Leaders seem like great ranged Heroes to assist the Rangers and Guard where needed.

Leaders
Waywatcher (100)
Wayfinder (General - 100)
Spellweaver (100)
Spellweaver (100)

Battleline
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)
20 x Glade Guard (240)

Units
10 x Eternal Guard (80)
10 x Eternal Guard (80)

Total: 1000/2000

Thanks in advance guys. I hope to hear some serious feedback, because I'd love to pickup an order army, but don't want to go into it completely blind.

Hey mate. I too love wanderers and played numerous games with them. At 1000 points you should forget about the rangers. Only bring them to 2k lists as there's more space for them. My 1K list looks like this:

nomad prince

spellweaver

wayfinder

20 gladeguard

3 waywatchers

20 eternal guard

5 sisters of the thorn.

eternal guard aren't good unless they are at least 20 strong. Once they have shield of thorns and mystic shield on them, including their shield of boughs ability they become super hard to kill. And do a lot of damage back for that fact. 

Glade guard should always come first in a list in my eyes, a chance to bring monsters/lords down before they've even reached you is such a advantage to us, abuse that.

sisters of the thorn. Wow, just wow. Can't go wrong with these guys. They are fast, have decent shootin And also have one of the best spells in AoS! They are amazing.

but, at the end of the day you should pick what you want and go with it, army has to look good winning right!?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I haven't hit that purchase button yet. I keep stopping myself because I'm not even half way done with my Ironjawz! I really want to, but I think I may just research more and practice some restraint before I impulse buy a 300$ army!

I'd still love to hear more thoughts on them though. This is my favorite Order faction and I remember walking into a game shop when I was really young and seeing a Wood Elves book up on the shelf and I thought to myself these guys look great! Them and Skaven, I didn't know their names at the time, or even what Warhammer was, gave me a sense of mysticism thinking about grand armies on the table top. Something a young kid could only imagine at the time while purchasing an (MtG) Ice Age booster pack! I think I still have a little bit of that sense of wonder when I look at the Wanderers faction, and maybe that's one of the reasons I want to buy the boxes now, but maybe it's best to wait until I finish my Ironjawz and Khorne Daemons. lol, this is the first time I've ran into this issue with this game. So many armies, so little time.

• 1 month later...

We usually play matched play with a 50 point allowance.

So for 1000 points I have been using:

Leaders

Nomad Prince 80 (General, with obstinate blade and command trait of either master of defence or legendary warrior)

Orion 380

Battle line

2 x 10 Glade Guard (2 x 120)

Other units

5 Wild Riders (140)

10 Wardancers (120)

10 Eternal Guard (80)

It's very mobile, so great for getting objectives. It has a nice amount of ranged. Eternal guard are great at holding objectives.

...and I feel that it it quite thematic.

If I were to increase the points, I'd try to get a Shadow Dancer in.

On 7-2-2017 at 6:10 PM, patsfan32 said:

I like this list, though I'll have to make due with the one waywatcher hero in place of the unit since I'm trying to stay away from compendium units until I know what's happening to them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just proxy waywatchers with glade guard. Maybe paint them differently (maybe darker, maybe completely green instead of reglar accents you might have) or just put some basing grass on their capes (can look decent). If waywatchers are dropped... the models are still glade guard.

What do you guys think of Glade riders? I know they aren't regularly available as they are legacy but I think if you can get them they are solid AND  battleline, plus being multi wound the spellweaver gets bonus on her ability.  2 shots at 20" range with high mobility makes them surgical objective grabbers

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Glade Lord (100)
- Kindred Blade & Starlight Spear
Glade Lord (100)
Glade Lord (100)
Glade Lord (100)
Shadowdancer (100)
Spellweaver on Purebred Steed (120)

Battleline
6 x Waywatchers (160)
6 x Waywatchers (160)
6 x Waywatchers (160)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)
6 x Waywatchers (160)

Units
3 x Warhawk Riders (120)
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

Total: 2000/2000

try this! Or drop hawks and sisters for more Rangers and waywatchers. 

As someone whose main gaming buddy plays Wanderers (& Skaven & Sylvaneth) perhaps I can share my thoughts...

Nomad Prince: great General & fighter, especially with a Rend or Damage Artefact! A steal @ 80 points.

The Hero on Great Stag has 7 Wounds & plenty attacks for 100 points if you can find/kit-bash one.

All the other Heroes blend together with their generic Way-names & have never really impressed me as their principal foe.

Orion is fun but overcosted.

20+ units of Eternal Guard are a cheap anvil with expensive support (Sisters of the Thorn, but they're pretty & fast!)

Sisters of the Thorn are better when you have a SpellWeaver to revive them.

Glade Guard are solid with their once per game Rend arrows, especially against Orruk Megabosses & Steam Tanks & the like.

Wardancers are fun lil 5-elf speed-bump if you can find the models or kit-bash some like my friend did.

Sisters of the Watch have nice (but pricey kit) that are worth their points more when you know you're fighting Chaos (they got 2 tomes lately) or just want to paint some pretty lady archers.

What about dabbling in other Aelves?? Do you need to keep a strict Wanderers allegiance for any particular reason? Common paint schemes & basing can help unify other "knife-ear" allies...

Find a Mistweaver Saih on eBay & you have a nice model well worth her 80 points with her long range spell + Mystic Shield.

Either a Reaper or High Elf Bolt Thrower would come in handy I bet.

If you have 40 points left over & a free Leader slot, then why not pick up a Black Ark Fleetmaster from eBay/bits reseller? He's pretty sharp & NOT FAILCAST!

The Hero on Great Stag has 7 Wounds & plenty attacks for 100 points if you can find/kit-bash one.: Yeah looked at his stats again.. unlike the eagle guy he can have the bow and all his melee weapons. for 100 points he's kind of a melee monster, 9 attacks (all 1 damage but somewith rend 1) and 3 shots.

I might drop my Sylvaneth for a game and play my wanderers.

I just need a loremaster to boost my 2 reapers (no don't play dark elves but REALLY thought long range would fit with the wood elves so got them on ebay... never played them yet though).

Eternal guard look good for the points

Shadowdancers seems a great guy IMHO, not a real combat guy as you'd expect but better than avarage mages AND his spell is great (and easily cast).

Sadly I don't own sisters of the watch OR sisters of the thorn OR wild wood rangers. 

Q1: Has your opponent played with the dragons (lord or sisters on..) the ability is great but no MW breath attack is not making me happy and also it's lack of a 3th jaw atttack and magic / unbind makes the lord look a less good investment unless he's general .. but even then.The sisters are even more expensive.. they have good shooting ofc..but not sure that is good enough.

The spell weaver seems great with the warhawkriders but the warhawk damage output is just abysmal. 

Q2 What is so great about the mistweaver btw? 

Q3 why is the fleetmaster so cheap? He's a regular hero that should be 80-100 points I'd say.

Anyway I think a list with

Waywatcher lord 100

Nomad prince 80 (general)

Lord on stag 100

shadow dancer 100

spellweaver 100

480 in heroes.

20 glade guard 240

2x3 wawatchers 160

400 in battelline

20 eternal guard 160

so far 160..

seems like a solid start for a total of 1040... which would leave me 460 point to toy with in a 1500 point army.. 

A dragon? Some MSU units of wardancers? More shooting? My 2 reaper boltthrowers and a loremaster (340)?

The thought with the Mistweaver Saih is that she's IMO the best of the cheaper ORDER Wizards, especially against low Bravery armies.  Move 7 I think??

A cheap, disposable Hero not needed to support elsewhere, like the B.A. FleetMaster, is great when you need a Hero to cap an objective.

A single squad of Wildwood Rangers would prolly be handy as most armies will usually field at least 1 Monster, & you can always Bridge of Shadows them to it.  Also the hoods & glaives give them Rule of Cool.

I like Spellweaver better for when you have multi-wound models to rezz.

-Sisters of the Thorn's spell really helps Eternal Guard/any melee anvil kill models on both your turn & their's.  Lovely kit too.

-a single Warhawk Rider is a quick, low-cost way to zip over to an objective, especially with Bridge of Shadows on.

-from a purely competitive standpoint, none of the other Wanderers cav seem worth their points sadly.  Wild Riders need Rend, more attacks, or more likely a points reduction.  Glade Riders def. do!

I dig the thought MSU Wardancers, the 3 dances lets them cameo in different roles (anti-chaff, anti-med. armour, & 4+ tanking.)  If you like them, & figure out a good kit-bash, then they seem handy to have around, maybe even try a larger unit??

Another squad or 2 of Eternal Guard could be another option to defend objectives &/or ranged units.

There's also great chaff in their list; Hunting Hounds! Buy a box of the Space Wolves Fenrisian wolf-pack from 40k & there you have 5 20 point drops that are move 12 last I checked.

A couple/box of Gryph-Hounds is another idea, they're slower & cost twice as much, but their Warning Cry could really help your 20-30 Glade Guard &/or Bolt-Throwers get a volley off before they get deep-striked, or even better, discourage it in the 1st place.

Totally give a couple bolt throwers a try, with a LoreMaster somewhere in between to buff whichever 1 has a better shot.

As far as filling out the rest of your army, I think it depends on how much of a power-gamer (C. Hurricanum) you are vs. wanting to field something more fluffy/coherent-looking as an army.

Sylvaneth were their World-that-was allies of choice back in the day, though a lack of Aelves outside the Realms of Light & Shadow meant they felt abandoned when the Stormcast unwittingly lead the forces of Nurgle to Alarille's hidden inner sanctum.  So you could fluff your group as having ventured out from a small Aelven enclave in Azyrheim (say that 3 times fast) to re-establish those military ties, & fight in harmony in The Realm of Life (more so than compared to the high-tech citadel that is Greywater Fastness, with its scorched-earth perimeter gun range).  

Alarielle would have less of a grudge against them than say Drycha the Mad, & there's 3+ new options that fill some gaps; a melee battleline anvil (Dryads), heavy-assault squad (6 Kurnoth Hunters w/ Scythes), & 30" Greatbow KH snipers that require less babysitting (just remember to activate their ability @ the start of your opponent's charge phase.)  Get the plastic Branch-whatever from their GSC box as their contingent's lead & offensive spellcaster, & you're in business.  A Spirit of Durthu isn't as great w/o a Sylv. Cmd. Trait buffing it, but you could give him the artefact instead of your Nomad Prince I suppose.

Or... Stormcast are very open to whomever they'll recruit to join in the fight vs. Chaos (see Nagash, the enemy of my enemy-type deal.)  There you also get a battleline melee squad (hammer/shield Liberators, a box of 10 will let each smaller squad's Prime to have a great-weapon so they aren't so pillow-fisted!)  A box or two of Dracoth Guard would work nice as Fulminators so there's your heavy assault cav, then get a Knight-Heraldor to speed them up/allow cycle-charges* & to vuvuzela-nuke armies like yours that prefer to fight in terrain.  Paladins are prolly too slow to use outside their allegiance/battalions.  A Knight-Venator is somewhat redundant with your Waywatcher Lord, even if he's only 20 points more, for the threat of his super shot, & flying.  Most of their newer vanguard stuff looks redundant for you as well.

I don't know what else in Aelves would be good to cherry-pick, maybe the Hero on Frost-Phoenix??  Prolly worth the points more than a Forest Dragon would be, & would be easier to get at this point.  A unit of 5 mounted archers/Ellyrian Reavers from Spire of Dawn??

*his Onwards to Glory lets them retreat out of combat then they can charge back in for the damage bonus that same turn.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:39 AM, Dracothjay said:

Glade guard should always come first in a list in my eyes, a chance to bring monsters/lords down before they've even reached you is such a advantage to us, abuse that.

Glade Guard just don't perform well for their points.  If they were 80 points then compared to Waywatchers you would see more mix and match but even 30 on their alpha strike they won't accomplish much more the game.  It is a shame EG can't be BL.  One more failing of BL as a mechanic.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:10 AM, patsfan32 said:

I like this list, though I'll have to make due with the one waywatcher hero in place of the unit since I'm trying to stay away from compendium units until I know what's happening to them.

They aren't compendium units.  I wouldn't stay away.  Next to a Hurricanum a single one generates about 9 shooting attacks a turn.

9 hours ago, Dotification said:

to long to actually quote

Great post.

I agree on the rangers, 1 unit will find a good target in most games.  Shadowdancer seems an auto include anyway so delivery is somewhat reliable.

Single warhawk as objective takers: never actually thought about it I was always thinking about their combo with the spellweaver (which doesn't work very well in the end.. units of 3 died before they got healed since their position on the field often ends up not being next to each other ) and shadowdancer (which works somewhat.. they can engage artillery/mages.. but due to their low damage output isn't all that anyway since actual killing can be hard... and it's -also the reason they didn't combo well with the spell weaver).

Hounds.. might be nice but considering all the shooting in the army the gryphs you mention next might be the better choice.

On 4/5/2017 at 3:12 PM, Aezeal said:

1: Has your opponent played with the dragons (lord or sisters on..) the ability is great but no MW breath attack is not making me happy and also it's lack of a 3th jaw atttack and magic / unbind makes the lord look a less good investment unless he's general .. but even then.The sisters are even more expensive.. they have good shooting ofc..but not sure that is good enough.

I have played a few games with the sisters on the dragon.  The breath attack that forces them to choose other units to attack with first is surprisingly awesome.  You just have to be sure that you can get multiple units engaged during a turn.  It allows you to attack with other units to soften up their units, but still ensuring that the dragon will get to attack at full strength.  It is a bit pricey, and you need to be selective where you end up engaged, but it is a fun unit to play with.

Why so much love for the Glade Lord on Stag, and no mention about the one on great eagle?

Move better and fly

9 attacks on stag vs 10 on Eagle. Plus, the eagle one have rend -1 AND 2 Damages on the same sword. 

Same wounds, same save. 

Stag is 120 points, Ealge is just 100. 

I can't get it. Am I missing something?

10 attacks only on the charge. 

And the stag guy has all those weapons AND the bow (might be a mistake.. but that is how it's written now) and the eagle guy has to choose (but the melee weapon is so good it's hardly a choice) And more rend 1 attacks and on charge also some damage 2 attacks (on the charge). But I agree.. the eagle guy is worth his points too, might even be better.. (well I got one of each.. so..)

Btw I thought wardancers and warhawk riders use to be compendium only  (in the GHB) and I see they are under wanderers too now in the app.. am I mistaken or has it been changed.

I hope Orion gets a point decrease and Wild riders get another attack or 3+ to wound or rend 1.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Btw I thought wardancers and warhawk riders use to be compendium only  (in the GHB) and I see they are under wanderers too now in the app.. am I mistaken or has it been changed.

All of the elf units (vs. the tree spirit units) from the Wood Elf compendium have the Wanderer keyword and thus can be taken in a Wanderer allegiance army (yay sisters of the watch battleline!), not to mention the Wanderer keyword synergy on the Spellweaver's blessing of life etc...

PS Inspired to get into AOS (and tabletop gaming) directly by Total War Warhammer's Wood Elf DLC, I was dead set on making a Wanderer army, regardless of balance. Their models are so cool! Great to see them getting so much talk here, hopefully Alarielle will eventually remember/forgive her other children and bring them back into the fold with some new models (wardancers dialed up to 11 with even more of a Native American/Apache theme?).

Cool list, I've found that the way points add up it leaves you with some real tough choices on what to leave out. Having the backup spellweaver (though keep in mind Rule of 1 means no double blessing of life in matched play) is nice but if you do decide to go for some compendium units the Shadowdancer is another excellent Wanderer wizard choice at 100 points that will give your Rangers the ability to fly in on enemy monsters with Bridge of Shadows and delete them (ensuring your 5+ save glass cannon infantry get the first attack).

I'm thinking sisters of twilight and a lore master make for a simple but nice combination with their powerfull shooting. Buff, shoot, charge. They are a bit to expensive to suicide ... but with a shadowdancer they could charge anywhere really so position themselves somewhat savely (but no backup). I'd say move next to a target you can kill in melee and within range and view on a juicy target for shooting like a mage or artillery and they might have a good change to kill their points worth and still survive (an opponent double turn MIGHT be a bit to much so better to do this if opponent has turn 1) they have a bit unreliable but potentially powerfull self healing so fleeing turn 2 might be needed. 

The rangers need a big target (worth more than their points) that isn't bubble wrapped and even with bridge they are still not going everywhere (unlike warhawkriders or dragons with bridge)

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:11 AM, Aezeal said:

I'm thinking sisters of twilight and a lore master make for a simple but nice combination with their powerfull shooting. Buff, shoot, charge. They are a bit to expensive to suicide ... but with a shadowdancer they could charge anywhere really so position themselves somewhat savely (but no backup). I'd say move next to a target you can kill in melee and within range and view on a juicy target for shooting like a mage or artillery and they might have a good change to kill their points worth and still survive (an opponent double turn MIGHT be a bit to much so better to do this if opponent has turn 1) they have a bit unreliable but potentially powerfull self healing so fleeing turn 2 might be needed. 

The rangers need a big target (worth more than their points) that isn't bubble wrapped and even with bridge they are still not going everywhere (unlike warhawkriders or dragons with bridge)

The loremaster buffs a single model.

1 hour ago, chord said:

The loremaster buffs a single model.

He's really a no brainer for a Sons of Durthu.  I think the Thorn Sisters are better suited for Wanderers in general.

I like hearing this love for Glade Lords on Eagles and Stags.  :x

Archived