Optimal Ogor Unit Sizes

AsraiR

So I have a great wedge of Ogors one war or another from their initial release back in 05.

I'm thinking of units of 6 Ironguts and units of 9 Ogors, supplemented by units of 6 Leadbelchers and some units of 3 Maneaters.

How have people been running theirs?

I'm not overly experienced but what I have found is that 6 ogors has been plenty -9 could be quite unwieldy? 6 allows most to attack and accounts for a few casulties along the way. 6 ironguts are definitely hurty though and I've had fun running a big ole unit of these [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It depends what your are gonna use each unit for. Different unit sizes seem very versatile. I am toying with taking 12 to hold up objectives while perhaps using just 3 to break charges. Units of 6 do seem to be the optimum middle ground however. I am yet to play a match with my leadbelchers, however @Lysandestolpe has some experience with them.

I only have three leadbelchers and have been solely underwhelmed by them. They hit harder in combat (2wounds vs 1 seems to be the big difference) and their ranged don't seem to threaten enough to impact my opponents plans. So I'm planning to expand to 6 leadbelchers as well. That should give me give me more of a thread with ranged and make them my ideal objective grabbers as 6 models can easily block. 

Also I found having 9 ogors only viable when playing pure gutbusters to make the leadbelchers battleline as well. Which sadly means I'm losing out on my Mournfang pack. So depending on the opponent and if I need that extra speed my basis is:

4 mournfang, 6 ogors, 3 ogors + extra or 6/9 ogors + 3 leadbelchers + extra. 

Hope this helps :) . And as a last note they size should correlate with their role in you general gameplan. 

Having some shooting units that can support and units that hit hard in combat is important in my book. Ledbelchers in this case do both. I have on numerous occasions taken a moment during a game, looked up, and thanked the lord I lack the faith in that I had that unit being able to shoot one way and charge another way - to split its attack between two units and having the opportunity to do so in different phases with a 12"+ range in between them. I have not asked my opponents, but it would be an interesting question. How much does the ledbelcher units weight as a threat, how much do they hurt, and how much do they complicate their plans of the battle.

If anybody who play against them wanna chip in, please do so, I am genuinely curious about the answer. 

12 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Having some shooting units that can support and units that hit hard in combat is important in my book. Ledbelchers in this case do both. I have on numerous occasions taken a moment during a game, looked up, and thanked the lord I lack the faith in that I had that unit being able to shoot one way and charge another way - to split its attack between two units and having the opportunity to do so in different phases with a 12"+ range in between them. I have not asked my opponents, but it would be an interesting question. How much does the ledbelcher units weight as a threat, how much do they hurt, and how much do they complicate their plans of the battle.

If anybody who play against them wanna chip in, please do so, I am genuinely curious about the answer. 

Having played against them (My own army fielded by an new player though) I didn't fear them in a unit of three. At least not more than any other small unit of ogors. But of course you are totally right shooting one way then charging can be very powerful. 

I run my ogor bulls in 4 units of 3, that way battleshock is not that big of deal and I have plenty of redundancy.

I ran a unit of 9 bulls in one match and they were extremely hard to move about the place avoiding bad terrain effects and in the end got pinned by ard boyz and wiped by 5 brutes + battleshock. We were only playing on 4*4, so they may go better on 6*4 with not much terrain or terrain effects in use. 

Do you use the same strategy for your leadbelchers?

On 20-1-2017 at 3:56 AM, Crispen said:

I run my ogor bulls in 4 units of 3, that way battleshock is not that big of deal and I have plenty of redundancy.

I ran a unit of 9 bulls in one match and they were extremely hard to move about the place avoiding bad terrain effects and in the end got pinned by ard boyz and wiped by 5 brutes + battleshock. We were only playing on 4*4, so they may go better on 6*4 with not much terrain or terrain effects in use. 

On 1/23/2017 at 7:10 PM, Kramer said:

Do you use the same strategy for your leadbelchers?

I only own 3 leadbelchers and when I've used them they've only let me down haha. They feel to me like they're over costed for the dmg output they provide.

Do you use leadbelchers in your own force? Had any success with them?

6 minutes ago, Crispen said:

I only own 3 leadbelchers and when I've used them they've only let me down haha. They feel to me like they're over costed for the dmg output they provide.

Ive been using 3 in a few matches and they have had mixed results, Best way I have found was to keep them out of combat just behind a chaff line so they cant be charged. When i have charged them they have wiped 3 vargheists but on other turns they have just burnt. I find it annoying that they are sold in packs of 4 but you take them in multiples of 3 haha

Just for a moment picture 12 ironguts, made immune to battleshock (thanks to tyrant) turn one, with a mystic shield (butcher with cauldron), Bellowing tyrant for +1 to hit, plus any extra buffs from Butchers cauldron. 

Ran as 2 lines of 6 ranked up tight these guys wouldn't be too unwieldy and would on average put 48 wounds on a 6+/no save unit, 40 wounds on a 5+ save unit, 32 wounds on a 4+ save unit 24 on a 3+ save, 16 wounds on a 2+ save unit and 8 wounds on a 1+ (or 2+ ignoring rend)

they can only really be dealt with by a serious combat unit (so don't get charged), shot or chaffed because anything else that touches them is going to evaporate. 

The only problem is its 880 points in one unit which is very inefficient points currently but if we see a drop in points in GHBv2 these guys could really come to the fore 

2 hours ago, Crispen said:

I have four (don't ask me how because I think they were never sold in that amount but oh well). Three is to little I agree. Personally i'm looking for a moment to expand them to 6 because that way they have some staying power. They are my only unit thats capable of claiming an objective and still be able to damage units around it. So they do fulfill a specific function. But three die to fast and are too expensive for that roll. 

(I also love my maneaters and mournfang but including them negates their battleline status which is a bummer as well)

6 minutes ago, BelgianBeerBear said:

How do you guys think leadbelchers compare to the iron blaster? Since they have the same cost and similar function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ironblaster so far has been a bit of a let down, I havent had a useful match with it yet. I would take leadbelchers every time over it as you are getting more attacks for your points.

I have only fielded it a few times and my opinion holds no weight against your experience [emoji4] 

I was trying to decide between getting another unit of leadbelchers or the ironblaster. Honest some point down the line I'll probably get an iron blaster cuz I love the model but for now probably just going to stick to leadbelchers for now

Are you going to be using anything from the Beastclaw Raiders kits? If not then you can probably use an ironblaster for picking off heroes at range, if you are a thundertusk will do it better. 

But as I said, I havent used it enough yet to really have an unbiased view

Archived