Jes Goodwin on WHTV

Firstly Hats!!!

Really interesting stuff and a great interview. What really struck me was the implication of the lead times mentioned. Jes said it took them 5 years to get the current Dark Eldar sorted. With times like that AoS really couldn't just have been a reaction to a bad year or two for WFB. It's must have been in trouble for some time.

It's also really good when taken in conjunction with the Jervis Interview on Heelanhammer to show that the fellas who make the games and models have a real passion for what they do to a wider audience than just those who go to the open days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dark elder was a complete redesign of a range of models is not surprising. I think most of the old style releases would have been a couple of years but yes the revamp of fantasy was a long time in the working.

From deciding to change the game they had to come up with a way of killing off the old one as a new system in the old world is just not a clean enough break and so they had to plan and write the whole of the End Times with BL supporting those release and models as well. Both those things take some time to finalise.

Whilst doing that they had to create the whole range of stormcast while again working all the background out as well as fleshing out the universe enough for players to feel invested (some might say they didn't complete this on release anyway). On top of that we have a new style for the forces of khorne to plan, design and create. On top of that they have to make sure that they have enough stock around the world to supply demand.

Of course they would also have been working on designing other races as well during that time so it all fits together.

This is why rumour mills can appear so early and then fade away, I heard much about the burning of prosperity set 10 months before release because those models were finished a year in advance of release.

As for showing passion, I think it was always shown in white dwarf that these guys had that kind of passion, you only have to look at the way they play the game or collect the models. There have also always been articles that show how deep they are into the universes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@childoffang absolutely.  On the showing passion it's always something that's surprised some of the things that's said GW developers/designers on the interweb. I'd totally agree that I think the passion does show through in White Dwarf and the like. It's just from what I've seen it seems like not all would agree ( I've probably got to stop reading the comments on BoLs ?). 

@CoffeeGrunt yeah but that's when they've been made, if the designers are taking 5 years to get there that's a long old time frame. Although I'd expect there's quite a bit of concurrent activity going on (sorry you've said that ??)

@Ollie Grimwood BoLS? You just need to stop visiting that site period. ;) The comments section definitely, there are a lot of people there who feel very bitter towards GW and have done for so many years they don't actually know GW that well anymore. Also because it is multisystem you get a lot of people commenting who have had those bitter people taking up their game and spreading a very specific view point to people who don't maybe see the other more positive community comments.

20 minutes ago, Bowlzee said:

It's also worth noting that the turn around is a lot quicker these days with the new CAD system.

Possibly, but as we saw at the Open Day, GW still appears to go through a long prototyping phase before they settle on a model design. The models are also much more complex, which might offset the time-saving benefits of CAD.

1 hour ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Possibly, but as we saw at the Open Day, GW still appears to go through a long prototyping phase before they settle on a model design. The models are also much more complex, which might offset the time-saving benefits of CAD.

I've spoken to a few of the sculptors over the last year at various open days.  From the seem of it, it takes the same amount of time to sculpt traditionally as it does in CAD, the biggest benefit is that you can "undo" and duplicate items much more easily.  One thing GW has also done is to get the sculptors to design the entire sprue where previously they would have a caster do the layout.  The upside is that we're now getting a lot more crammed onto each sprue - those "fun" little bits that we get now (random animals, dozens of heads, etc) are because a sculptor spotted an empty area and created something :D   They also can cut the model up more successfully.

2 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I did think might have been the case even so they must have started on AoS pretty soon after 8th came out.

I'd say maybe even before.  The super deluxe version of the 8th ed rulebook looks like a fond farewell in hindsight.  Like "This is the definitive Warhammer Old World. Cherish it."

Archived