Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Centurio said:

Oh well, I really like the Gore Pilgrims warscroll and I was trying to figure out a way to fit one with a bunch of slaughter priests into a 2000 point Goretide.

It looks like 3000 points is the minimum. This is a rough list I mocked up. 

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
Exalted Deathbringer (80)
- Ruinous Axe & Skullgouger
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Bloodbathed Axe
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Bloodbathed Axe
Bloodsecrator (120)

Battleline
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (160)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Khorne Bloodbound Battleline
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (140)
- Goreslick Blades
5 x Skullreapers (140)
- Goreslick Blades

Battalions
Brass Stampede (80)
Brass Stampede (80)
Gore Pilgrims (80)
Slaughterborn (80)
The Goretide (40)

Total: 3000/2000

Honestly, Brass Stampede is a brutal combination with the Goretide's extra movement. At 3000 points, you are allowed 8 heroes(?), so you could theoretically run another Battalion in lieu of a Brass Stampede. 

3K list looks really solid! Somehow for my personal designs I tend to keep lists at a maximum of 1-2 Battalions, don't really know why yet but I guess I simply like the massed models strategy a lot for the simple reason of Blood Tithe.

So far I just really like how big the shift in lists is in regards to the Bloodbound Heroes. Not only do I like how the Blood Tithe points make every Command Ability model worth considering but I also really like how you can constant go back and forth to MSU (small multiple units) and FBU (few big units). In terms of design this is really open and a great thing to do because Command Abilities are great for large units and small units allow you to really generate a lot of Blood Tithe points so you can make your army much more character focused.

When Bloodbound was around I largely focused on Bloodsecrators, Bloodletters and Bloodreavers and while these remain fantastic models like Slaughterpriests, Aspiring Deathbringers, Blood Warriors and in general opening the door to do whatever you like and have a competative option for it. 

Which brings us to the mixed Battalion or lack thereof, I think that the designers skipped on it due to how much synergy is found in the army allready without Battalions and in general how the armybook itself presents itself as a mix anyway. Whats perhaps even more important to see is that every Battalion (minus large ones) seems to be designed for a kind of model.
- If you want to run wild with Bloodthisters, you can
- If you want to run wild with Skullcannons, you can
- If you want to be one of the Bloodbound tribes, the Battalions are there

Have to say that I'm not very deep into all Battletome's but I have to say that Blades of Khorne seems to hit it out of the ball-park. While some might think X wording is vague, I think it only becomes vague once you focus on 1 rule and stop reading it all thouroughly first. We have a lot of synergistic options, roughly two dozen limited, even more culumative. This all really is great as it highly increases the flavour of how well Khorne Mortals and Daemons co-operate.

Design favourites new to Blades of Khorne:
- Blood Tithe Point system (hope to re-design something like it as a Battlegrave Point system for Death with some friends).
- The many Collars of Khorne, suppressing Magic is truely not difficult to do and not skewing from uselessness to insane (which was the case for WFB).
- Mark of the Destroyer, this sheer brutal Artefact is exactly what Khorne Butchers are about. I even think that for Narrative purposes it could have been included that if the Hero wasn't capable of collecting any skulls he'd present his own to Khorne (seppuku-style). But that's how I'll play it anyway.
- Mark of the Slayer, it's easy to miss but this works on KHORNE units not just Daemons! Really giving a depth to Heralds of Khorne which I truely missed before.
- Blood Blessings of Khorne and Gore Pilgrims, no news by now but the Slaughterpriest can become REALLY good. 
- All the Battalions in Blades of Khorne who make all the models in Blades of Khorne worth to consider :) 
- The feeling that Daemons seem fully designed to be the MSU aspect and Bloodbound being the FBU aspect.

Basically the more I read through this book, the more I like it :D 

Decided to have a more detailed go at making a 3k Goretide Concept using Dark Feast, which is still a favorite battalion of mine even if it isnt shiney and new. 

I didnt bother with artefacts and abilities for the time being. I'm noticing that too many Battalions can lead to a heavy amount of Battleline, but their increased effectiveness should offset the lack of more specialized units.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
Exalted Deathbringer (80)
- Ruinous Axe & Skullgouger
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Bloodbathed Axe
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Bloodbathed Axe
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)

Battleline
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Ensorcelled Axes

Units
5 x Skullreapers (140)
- Daemonblades
5 x Skullreapers (140)
- Daemonblades

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (80)
Dark Feast (100)
Slaughterborn (80)
Brass Stampede (80)
The Goretide (40)

Total: 3000/3000

40 minutes ago, Dragonlover said:

So how do you guys keep track of which units are from which Battalion? I'm thinking of painting the rims of the bases myself.

Dragonlover

When I get to painting mine, I'm likely going to be doing each unit in a different scheme to give a sense of the tribalistic and back stabbing nature of the Bloodbound

At that point it would just be a matter of noting which unit is in which battalion. 

For those who want a more uniform appearance, you could paint an icon or number under the base for that unit. Then note which units go where.

40 minutes ago, Dragonlover said:

So how do you guys keep track of which units are from which Battalion? I'm thinking of painting the rims of the bases myself.

Dragonlover

I picked up Gorechosen (twice) which comes with a ton of tokens, these tokens are reminders for me and my opponent that X unit belongs to X Battalion.

So just got myself the battletome and a start collecting daemons kit. Ready to get started now. 

Thinking of aiming for:

Bloodthirster of unf. fury

Herald of khorne on foot

Bloodsecrator

Slaughter priest

2x 10 bloodletters

1x10 blood warriors

1x3 bloodcrushers

2x1 skullcannons

Murderhost

And then fill up with more daemons to get the max units in murderhost, amingst a demon prince, skarbrand, or a unit of flesh hounds.

Then for variety, and where pointa allow, add in more mortals.

That said, looking for some combo's

The crimson crown on a bloodthirster nearby killing frenzy prayer on bloodletters.

Add the bloodsecrator with a banner of rage and a bloodletter hero near that unit of bloodletters.

Then you have a unit of bloodletters that decapitates on 5+ with re-rolls to hit, piles in 6", generates additnional attacks at 5+, and gets +1 attack.

Now.. If i make that unit 20+, does that mean they do all that stuff on 4+?? :)

And then we add a blood tithe ability like apoplectic frenzy and you can do this twice per phase (in optimal situations)

And whith the crimson crow. If a bloodthrister of unfettered fury rolls a 6 to hit, does that mean i make 1 additional attack with his axe of khorne.. Or 6 additional attacks? Guessing only 1.

Also, for daemons, im doubting about the command trait for this setup. Slaughterborn, to increase the potential of the crown.. But overlaps with the banner, or immense power.. But then what if not near the banner. Unrivalled battlelust looks nice too.. But with the thirster of u fury already piling in 6" (he is affectes by his own command ability yeh?).. That seems reduced in value..

Too bad there are fewer ways for daemons to increase to wound rolls.. The inseniate rage feels really meh because of that.

4 hours ago, Centurio said:

Plus Gorechosen is an awesomely fun game on its own!

Absolutely! The ammount of stuff in it for the prince is un-GW-like ;) 

@Knight of Ruin great start, great plans, keep it up!

In regards to your questions:
- Yeah the Bloodletters have a 20+ check, keep in mind that because of that you'll often see them in units of 10 or 30, as 20 (19) is one away from not having a nice bonus at all. 
- It's +1 additional attack for each 6, these don't generate new ones. In many cases you can roll different coloured dice to resolve it all, it helps for this and many more Khorne units.

Thanks i figured as much. I will have to see if that is worth it though.. We shall see once i get enough bloodletters for now, 2x10 it is.

On a completly different note. How do people paint their daemons? My bloodbound are a metallic red with bronze trims,  and would like to have my daemons the same on their armour.. But they are mostly flesh and i doubt if red metallic armour works with a otherwise red fleshy monster..

17 minutes ago, Knight of Ruin said:

Thanks i figured as much. I will have to see if that is worth it though.. We shall see once i get enough bloodletters for now, 2x10 it is.

On a completly different note. How do people paint their daemons? My bloodbound are a metallic red with bronze trims,  and would like to have my daemons the same on their armour.. But they are mostly flesh and i doubt if red metallic armour works with a otherwise red fleshy monster..

I followed Duncan's tutorial for the blood thirster that is on warhammer to and applied it to my deamon prince and bloodletters. It is very simple and effective, it gives them a nice leathery look.

No automatic alt text available.

I paint my Khorne Daemons white or black. My Khorne army has bone armour with black skin so they match. 

Styles like this are really beautiful:

1007d3741d0ddafb81bd29a9a05e1486.jpg

And more original that the all red all the time ones.

Guys, one question. Have any of you tried Skulltaker? Is one of my favourite models of all the range along Krell and I'm thinking of buying it. The Warscroll seems very straitforward. Just go against heroes and delete them with a thon of mortal wounds or normal wounds.  I'm thinking of putting him behind a good number of bloodletters or Bloodreavers to just go unnoticed and then delete the enemy heroes.

I don't play in a very competitive metagame, so we have normally meele focussed armys or flexible with some meele and some shoot, so he can expect to reach meele alive! 

So... I am assembling 9 mighty skullcrushers.  What are your opinions on glaives vs axes on them?  I already have 3 assembled with axes and I will probably use them in a Brass Stampede as 4 units of 3.  Hitting on 3+ is nice, but I think I could really use the rending attacks so I thought of going half and half.  Thoughts?

What's Changed: Skulltake Edition

I have just spotted an additional line at the bottom of the 'reaping strikes' ability in the skulltake battallion. Must have skim read it first time through the book. 

If you take max units everyone (of your units in range rolling 6's to wound) gets +1 damage, not just the skullreapers. 

No idea why, it was in my head that it was just a range increase with max units.

Anywho, Boom! damage 3 khorgoraths

It doesn't say it's just the combat phase, so potential damage 2 from them shooting also :)

IMG_20170422_120815.png.9981c000f01bb6c65bd39f9b2d412bc6.png

>>> In other breaking news: Juggerlord just got promoted to my next purchase

A decent amount if stuff ignores rend 1. So you're equipping something which does nothing, a good balance is key.

+1 to hit I think is the same as -1 rend anyway. Except against opponents who have buffs against no rend units, or ignore rend etc.

It depends who you throw them into

1 minute ago, ****** said:

What's Changed: Skulltake Edition

I have just spotted an additional line at the bottom of the 'reaping strikes' ability in the skulltake battallion. Must have skim read it first time through the book. 

If you take max units everyone (of your units in range rolling 6's to wound) gets +1 damage, not just the skullreapers. 

No idea why, it was in my head that it was just a range increase with max units.

Anywho, Boom! damage 3 khorgoraths

It doesn't say it's just the combat phase, so potential damage 2 from them shooting also :)

IMG_20170422_120815.png.9981c000f01bb6c65bd39f9b2d412bc6.png

>>> In other breaking news: Juggerlord just got promoted to my next purchase

I forgot about the ranged damage increase..

But yeah it's great,  stoker is vulnerable though and a easy kill

7 hours ago, Centurio said:

So... I am assembling 9 mighty skullcrushers.  What are your opinions on glaives vs axes on them?  I already have 3 assembled with axes and I will probably use them in a Brass Stampede as 4 units of 3.  Hitting on 3+ is nice, but I think I could really use the rending attacks so I thought of going half and half.  Thoughts?

This really depends on the rest of your force.  I find the glaives more useful personally because they have rend and I can get +1 to hit from so many other places.  But look at your army, do you have rend anywhere else?  If you have plenty of other units in your force offering you rend then you can probably pass on the glaives.  Where are your +1 to hit buffs going?  Elsewhere or able to keep it on the Skullcrushers reliably?  Overall it's not going to be making a HUGE difference as we all know that mounts end up doing more damage than their riders ;)  because the dice will it so, but also as noted by Arkiham above - it depends what you're throwing them at.

Archived