Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

Trying to think of a 1500 pts list to run next week in a tournament. I've been trying minimum gore pilgrims + juggerlord + 3x3 skullcrushers and 2 khorgoraths in a unit. Could drop the khorgies and get the brass stampede but not sure if it is worth it's cost at so low points.  So far I've only gotten two games in, both against changehost. First was a major loss, second one a minor loss. 

Basically it's a variation to lower points from the LVO top 10 Bloodbound list. 

Modelwise I have available Gorechosen, 4 slaughter priests, 20 reavers with blades, 20 reavers with axes, 10 blood warriors, 9 skullcrushers, juggerlord, mighty lord, bloodsecrecrator, bloodstroker, 20 letters, skullcannon/throne, 3 Khorgoraths

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LordWynn said:

Trying to think of a 1500 pts list to run next week in a tournament. I've been trying minimum gore pilgrims + juggerlord + 3x3 skullcrushers and 2 khorgoraths in a unit. Could drop the khorgies and get the brass stampede but not sure if it is worth it's cost at so low points.  So far I've only gotten two games in, both against changehost. First was a major loss, second one a minor loss. 

Basically it's a variation to lower points from the LVO top 10 Bloodbound list. 

Modelwise I have available Gorechosen, 4 slaughter priests, 20 reavers with blades, 20 reavers with axes, 10 blood warriors, 9 skullcrushers, juggerlord, mighty lord, bloodsecrecrator, bloodstroker, 20 letters, skullcannon/throne, 3 Khorgoraths

I think that losses against DoT or Seraphon at this level are a bit too be expected... Especially if you don't focus on them too much when you build your army.
I think the backbone of your army looks good. I will say that ideally those 20 Letters become 30. But if you want to play with what you have just see it all as a learning experience :) 
What I think is a very interesting topic to browse though versus DoT in particular is this one: 

I own 5 Fleshhounds but the topic has be considering getting another 5. They are great versus Wizard heavy armies after all and a relatively cheap way to grab Objectives also. It's just that their offense isn't all amazing, but you don't need to go that route versus all armies anyway. 

With 1500 points I'd personally skip on Battalions but you might want to consider the Bloodmarked Warband. If you thake 2 Slaughterpriests, 1 Bloodsecrator, 1 Bloodstoker and a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut I think you have a great choice of units. Then ideally I'd run those Blood Warriors and Bloodletters (30) an probably include the Skullcrushers as 2x 3. That list would look something like:

Khorne Lord on Juggernaut 140
Bloodsecrator 120
Slaughterpriest 100 (Killing Frenzy)
Slaughterpriest 100 (Killing Frenzy)
10 Blood Warriors (double axes) 200
30 Bloodletters (whole shebang) 270
20 Bloodreavers (rend axes) 140
3 Skullcrushers (140)
3 Skullcrushers (140)
3 Skullcrushers (140)
- Still requires you to get more Bloodletters. But honestly I believe they are practically mandatory for competitive events. Knowing that some have done well without them too ;) 

Hope this helps a little,  it's not extremely concrete advice. I personally feel that at 2K most armies are able to do what they should do. I am not a huge fan of 1.5K tournaments because of that. 

I have talked in this forum about Khorgoraths and that I like playing monsters.

So I just bought a Skaarac

This is the first list I’m going surprice my opponent with

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Skaarac the Bloodborn (500)
- General
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (260)
Daemon Prince (160)
- Axe
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

1 x Khorgoraths (80)

1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

alternative is ti run 2 Bloodthirsters instead of Daemon Prince and Chaos Lord

Thought is to make a crazy rush forward with almost everything

1 round wipping of the Daemonprince and the Bloodthirster and hopefully get 2 charges of with the run and charge from Skaarac and second round get a LOT of Khorgoraths in and get a lot of minus bravery and totaly overwhelm the  opponent

Thoughts?

13 hours ago, gertat said:

Looks awesome! Really love to hear how it will pan out for you.

I do however think that the Bloodscrator is missing in this list. The Bloodreavers will love him too. But I feel I'm missing something with the Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount. Instead I think you can consider running that Bloodsecrator and switch one unit of Bloodreavers to 5 Blood Warriors who then more or less act as a small bodyguard team for the Stokers and such.

I have a question on the Skullgrinder's Altar of Skulls.  The rule is that if your Skullgrinder kills a hero or monster, the Skullgrinder and all Mortal Khorne units within 8" are blood-blessed for the rest of the battle and will make two instead of 1 wound rolls for hits on a 4+.

I read this rule to provide a permanent bonus to all Mortal Khorne units within 8" of the Skullgrinder at the time he makes the kill.  So it doesn't matter if the Skullgrinder moves more than 8" away or is killed - the Mortal Khorne unit still gets the bonus.  Equally, if the Skullgrinder moves within 8" of a unit after making the kill, they don't gain the bonus (unless he kills another hero or monster of course).

Do people agree with this?  The other interpretation is that once he has made a kill, any Mortal Khorne unit within 8" of him at the time they are making an attack gain a bonus irrespective of whether they were close to him when he made the kill, but I don't think that is correct.

8 hours ago, PainD said:

I read this rule to provide a permanent bonus to all Mortal Khorne units within 8" of the Skullgrinder at the time he makes the kill.  So it doesn't matter if the Skullgrinder moves more than 8" away or is killed - the Mortal Khorne unit still gets the bonus.  Equally, if the Skullgrinder moves within 8" of a unit after making the kill, they don't gain the bonus (unless he kills another hero or monster of course).

I play as this. 

On 01/03/2018 at 8:47 PM, gertat said:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
- General
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodthirster Of Insensate Rage (260)
Daemon Prince (160)
- Axe
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)

Battleline
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

1 x Khorgoraths (80)

1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 141

alternative is ti run 2 Bloodthirsters instead of Daemon Prince and Chaos Lord

Thought is to make a crazy rush forward with almost everything

1 round wipping of the Daemonprince and the Bloodthirster and hopefully get 2 charges of with the run and charge from Skaarac and second round get a LOT of Khorgoraths in and get a lot of minus bravery and totaly overwhelm the  opponent

Thoughts?

Let me know how it goes, (esp the khorgi bravery bomb part) im looking at trying something pretty similar on sunday, but just not with skaarac at the helm and weather dependant atm.

Q- is it a paint in the ****** to have to roll all attacks seperately? Are you planning on splitting the shooting over as many units as possible in the hope of triggering multiple battleshock tests or just going to concentrate on a single unit at a time?

Swap chaos lord for another stoker, swap one unit of reavers for marauders, add another khorgorath!

Your unlikely to be picking if you get first turn or not. So i  would be planning ahead with how to deploy for each battleplan and stick to it regardless of what my opponent lays out. Unless he has some silly hide in the sky or teleport, then bunker up in a corner with a reaver roadblock might be needed.

Thinking having the throwaway daemon prince and BIR are essential. Theyll be forcing you opp to choose between dealing with them and moving up the board. Daemon prince on the flank, BIR wherever there is tasty target for his axe to explode. 

Downside of skaarac and no battallion, only one artifact. To brazen rune or not?

Thx for the input

Put in a secrator to keep the reavers in place for longer

Took more reavers to get a bigger boardpresence and hopefully avoid units getting in behind with tricks like tunneling, summoning and so on.

Keeping singel Khorgoraths instead of as bigger units is mainly to get a lot of Bloodtithes and max out the minus bravery effects

As for artefact I will put Mark of the Slayer on Skaarac. If the gets a charge of with Korgoraths besides him the can al reroll 1:s to hit and to wound

Pretty powerfull

Is Gareks reavers battle line?

If not they get exchanged for Marauders 

if so I think this is the list I’m going to test.

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders

- Mark of the Slayer
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Daemon Prince (160)
- Axe
Daemon Prince (160)
- Axe

Battleline
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
5 x Garrek's Reavers (60)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 148

I have tried out Skullreapers a couple of times recently and have been very dissapointed. They were up against nighthaunts and stormcast which could have been part of the problem since they were not killing many models because of 4+ saves and multi wound models. 

Do I need to run them with daemonblades, killing frenzy, and a blood stoker to make them good?

The main issue in my mind is that they compete with wrathmongers and don't provide anything blood warriors or blood reavers cannot do. The one time my Skullreapers did well was against bloodletters, against low saves they can kill models quickly to get full rerolls. However, bloodreavers and blood warriors do just fine against low save single wound models. For the same cost of Skullreapers, wrathmongers have more attacks, a rend, longer range, buff my army, and provide a solution for high damage monsters and elite units.

I'll probably continue to use Skullreapers on occasion for fun but as of now I cannot justify taking them if I want to be serious.

Yeah Reapers pretty much need Daemonblades & Bloodstoking as a minimum. The mortal wound output ensures they will kill enemies with decent saves but I think you have drawn your own conclusion here; for the points Wrathmongers do more and are more adaptable to different scenarios (buffers, horde clearers or monster killers ).

9 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Do I need to run them with daemonblades, killing frenzy, and a blood stoker to make them good?

You certainly do, as Agent of Chaos has also said. Killing Frenzy is optional, but I wouldn't run them without Daemonblades and Bloodstoker. Without it they are most certainly not worth the 180 points and to be completely honest they are somewhat overcosted now to begin with. I mean in reality this unit would cost 160 points because several other factions have this exact same elite template at 160 points. Making them them a bit of an oddity for our army right now. Whilst they can do work running 10 of them adds up in cost very quick and doesn't really reflect into what you'd expect of a 360 point unit.

For me the biggest reason why Wrathmongers do work at 180 is indeed the buffs they give out when placed well and the potential hazard they are to big units. Based on that alone they carry their weight. 

I hope that they get pushed to 160 points in GH2016. Even if it means our 30 Bloodletter blocks will end up costing 300 points (again).

10 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I have tried out Skullreapers a couple of times recently and have been very dissapointed. They were up against nighthaunts and stormcast which could have been part of the problem since they were not killing many models because of 4+ saves and multi wound models. 

The main issue in my mind is that they compete with wrathmongers and don't provide anything blood warriors or blood reavers cannot do. The one time my Skullreapers did well was against bloodletters, against low saves they can kill models quickly to get full rerolls. However, bloodreavers and blood warriors do just fine against low save single wound models. For the same cost of Skullreapers, wrathmongers have more attacks, a rend, longer range, buff my army, and provide a solution for high damage monsters and elite units.

I'll probably continue to use Skullreapers on occasion for fun but as of now I cannot justify taking them if I want to be serious.

Skullreapers are a diesel unit. You need to buff them (at least a bloodstocker, who is their best friend, and a +1 to hit) for their first fight. After they kill 5 models (which should always happen), you can nearly let them go wild and support other units, because they will become self-sufficient. I was able to buff them trough the roof two time (+3 attacks, +1 to hit, +1 to wound, reroll 1 to wound) and they killed half of a 1000 pts nurgle army the first game (30 plagebearers, then 10 blightking, then a lord of plague), and in the second game, one-rounded a lord of change, then 30 tzaangors.

You need the daemonblade because it make them the only reliable mortal wound output of your army. With the other weapon, they are just an anti-light infantry unit, and blood warriors are more than enough for this.

Just making a small report here.

I was in the Blood Tithe tournament and played this Khorne List :

WOKBT with crown and immense power

2 Bloodstocker, one with the brazen rune

Bloodsecrator

2 Slaughterpriests with +1 to hit prayer

2X30 Bloodletters

10 Bwarriors and 10 Reavers --- Gore pilgrim

5 Wrathmongers.

First, many thanks to Joshua Keal, i watched all his videos, copy-pasted one of his list and made small changes (+10 Bloodletters -10 reavers and a different set of artifacts)

My big surprise of the tournament is that none of my opponents read between the lines of the list. As you may not see it in the first place, you can stack all buffs on a unit of Bloodletters to make them lightning-fast and deadly. They become movement 5+7 on the run roll and +7 on the charge roll. As they can run and charge this is effectively a 22-37" range of movement-charge (and 29" on average), so a 1st turn charge with 30 Letters,  2 attack each hit on 2, mortal wounds on 3+ to hit RR1 to wound. Cool isn't it?

Here is how it went :

Round 1 : Battle for the pass with "down of war" deployment, Mark Busby – Mixed Order shooty list

3 waywatchers, loremaster, drakeseer, hurricanum

30 gladeguard 2X10 skinks, 2X3 Kurnoths bows

I took the 1st turn. He skipped a heartbeat when he realize that I was going to charge him immediately but he deployed nicely behind a screen of skinks I had to deal first. They got butchered and he killed 6-7 Letters. Then things got wrong. He manage to get a combinaison of good shooting rolls, two 6 on D6 mortal wounds on the bloodthirster, a double turn and a 12" charge with the quicksilver-potioned-dragon. When  it get back to my turn, I had lost too much, not killed enough shooting  and had a dragon on my point. Lost.

Round 2 : Duality of death, mixed destruction.

2 Thundertusk 1 goblin shaman, a Troll Hag

3 Goregruntas, 2 spearchukkas, tons of gobelins

Not something I would normally fear, but things can get quickly messy when ennemy's scoring units are thundertusks and troll hags. Fortunately, he packed them.

I took the first turn, boost a unit of blood letter and manage to get a charge on both thuntertusks and a pack of goblins (to his big surprise). I murdered the gobelins and manage to get 5-7 mortal wounds on the thundertusks, so no more 6mortal wounds.  On his turn he manage to kill most of the bloodletters in his ranks (quite expected) but failed to heal any thundertusks. I won priority get all the buffs on the bloodthirster and hurl him on the troll hag, which he butchered with 23 unsaves wounds. Then I brought a Stocker on one point and began to score. On his turn his shaman seized the other point, and he screened him with the gruntas and the rest of the goblins from the menace of 30 other bloodletters. The rest of the game went ok, The Bloodthirster killed his two thundertusks, then his balistas, then approach the shaman and splat him with his flail-hammer. By turn 4 all was left for him was a surviving team of crew-gob. He got quite unlucky with his thundertusks, even if he was on D3/D6 dammage he rolled two or three 1'to hit

Round3 : Total conquest Fyreslayers by Charles Fryers

Runefather, Magmasmiter, 2 runesmiter, battlesmith

3X30 vulkites 30 Shooting heartguards.

I could spend HOURS speaking about fyreslayers, telling you that it is the most boring army to play and to fight, that combining a 4+ rerollable, a 4++ and immunity to battleshock on a deepstriking horde army is terrible.  I would have a small tiny little chance to win if I could have the first turn, but he also have seven drops and won the roll so I basically lost the game before  the first turn. I still played until turn 3 because sportsmanship is a thing for me but I scooped when there was only 15 models left for me

Round 4 : Starfall against Seraphon by Marius Helland Prestoy

Kroaknado, astrolyth bearer, Engine of the gods, 2 bastilladon-Thunderquake Starhost.

5X10 skinks, 1 salamander

Serapons are no fun for deamon-heavy lists. Yet my heart rejoiced when I saw him deploying all his stuffs on the 24" line. Less drops so I took the first turn. He began to decompose as I make my 32" charge on his unprotected Kroak. I cut him in 15 piceces and chew up some skinks and a couple of wounds on his big dinausaurs. He won priority and the comet drop favoured me. Then things went ugly from there. The reroll-all shooting phase of the bastilladon began to chew up my army and he made very clever teleportations. He got unlucky on his saves when my Bloodthirster charged one of his bastilladon which allowed me to remove one (then he died from lazerbeams). The comet on his side ended under a pack of skinks that would never move again and the one on my side ended under my Bloodsecrator. The turning point of the game went in turn 4 when his last two dinausaurs approached my bloodsecrator and manage to get two 9" charge on the slaughterpriests in front of him. Then on his double turn, I burned 3 tithe points to allow my reavers to charge his bastilladon to keep control over my point.  Victory 26-21, was close, I can't imagine the game with Kroak online. One of his teammates then came to me to tell me with a big smile: "Today, you taught him a lot about bubblewrapping".

Round 5 : Scorched earth against Mixed Chaos by Richard Buckler.

Bloodsecrator, Chaos lord, Bloodstocker, Gaunt summoner

2X30 bloodletters,10 pinks horrors, 20 brimstones, 3 stormfiends, 2 khorgoraths, 1 warplightning canon.

The guy is the most pleasant opponent I ever had and I had a great time in this game.

My opponent deploy on the 24" line but some of his most important pieces, the canon and the heroes are a little bit obstructed by some kind of ruin with a bunch of windows and gates. The bloodletters covering each flank.

Anyway, I took the first turn, do the thing™, and send the bloodletters right in the center. Followed by the wrathmongers. I leave warriors on my left and chill with the other pack of bloodletter and reavers on the right. I quickly deal with the canon but only manage to do 3 wounds to the Gaunt and 4 to the Chaos lord. My first mistake is to attack the pink horror pack and to remove the wrong bloodletters (the ones closer to the center objective, which authorized him to split horrors here), I admit I expected to kill at least the two wouded heroes, but I lack room and had too much 2-3's on my dices (I am under Cunning Deciever). I choose to remove the most annoying gaunt familiars. On his turn, the Brazen rune goes on the Balewind vortex attempt but he failed to cast infernal flames after. He butcher my unit of bloodletters with his angry chaos lord and giant skavens and whip his left bloodletters to my center and manage to get a "just made it" charge on my wrathmongers. He only have 6 of them in contact but they are 3 attack each and kills 2 mongers (which forces him to kill 4 bloodletters) The Wrathmongers with their 2" range manage to kill some too. I won priority and whip my bloodthirster who can now run'n'charge at +7 each. He fly over the bloodletter horde and reach his lone Stocker that guard his left objective and burns both to the ground (+3 point). I also destroyed his bloodetters with the help of my warriors. Things got out of control for him and he bet for the double turn, advancing at maximum on the right. He got it and a fierce battle between 60 bloodletters, 10 reavers and 2 khorgorath began. He won it (was close) and burned my objective (+2).  I made a second big mistake and burned the blood tithe to get a charge with the WOKBT, but got a poor roll and ended in the blue horrors, which authorized him to burn the daemon with his Skavenfiends (I should  have used them to simply get out of range with a normal move). He also advanced to the center with his Stormfiends and horrors, witht the firm intention to seise my objective. By killing my reavers he gave me a third Blood tithe point which authorized me to advance my bloodwarriors to his abandoned center. I seized the initiative, whipped the warriors and have them make the long charge, refrained to hit the blue horrors (this time) and burned his objective (+2), ending the game.

Thoughts :

-None of my opponents made the addition of my buffs and they all got caught by surprise by my first turn charge.  It might seems a one-trick-poney but I always considered my opponents saw what is coming to them during deployment, until I was sure they didn't and begin to deploy aggressively forward. During my testings, even if the opponents know the thing™, the game is not decided at all. It might encourage them to deploy in the back/bubblewrap  and this gives you the option deploy differently and gives them the first turn (If you have the choice).

-The brazen rune is my N°1 favourite artifact in such an environment; I used it to dispel vortexes, comets, shields, etc its-magic-memegen-com-19255903.png.

-The blood tithe-movement actually made me won two games out of my three wins and secured the third.

-The blood tithe-dispel was my best out-of-jail card, I used it 5 times. You have some tools against the best spellcasters.

-WOKBT with immense power has a massive impact. It is hard to miss your target with +1/2 to hit, rerolls etc. You  "only" have to hit first.

-I can't get out without at least one bloodstocker and preferably two.

- +1 to hit prayers where vital to ensure you kill what you charge.

-Gore pilgrim is one of the things that keeps Khorne in the fight. Remove it and things are getting hot. It might give an army wide immunity to battleshock but I don't see it as a problem on such a fragile army (and you can remove it much easier than a runefather).

-Wrathmongers are a pain for the enemy that often misunderstand the menace. I kept reminding my opponent that they get +1A for being close to (really? My unit get +1A? Yup!). Things that killed themselves in this tournament : 1 Chaos Lord, 1 Dragon (not sure about this one), 1 Brimstone, 4 bloodletters, 1 Kurnoth hunter, 1 goregrunta. Not counting suicide attempts that failed from bastilladons, thundertusks, loremasters  and EOTG, Not counting that they also do 26 attacks with rend1 and very often ad 2+ to hit. You often gives 10-12 rend1 save rolls to your opponent.

-Blood For the Blood God.

On 04/03/2018 at 7:54 PM, gertat said:

Units

1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

How do you play them during a game? Are they spread out sporadically operating as completely separate units, all in a single massive group or go with small clusters?

Had a punt at it at the weekend, ended up with multiple khorgis in combat with a single unit. Wasnt enjoying only rolling to attack with one before my opp returned all his attacks from his unit on them

Great write up! For me the list you took is more or less perfect for a take all comers tournament. Unlucky to lose that first game from what sounds like unbelievable rolling on his part (such is warhammer). 

Fyreslayers sound ******. haven't had the misfortune of coming up against them yet (not a full fyreslayer army anyway) and I don't look forward to it.

Congrats on the results!

1 hour ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

How do you play them during a game? Are they spread out sporadically operating as completely separate units, all in a single massive group or go with small clusters?

Had a punt at it at the weekend, ended up with multiple khorgis in combat with a single unit. Wasnt enjoying only rolling to attack with one before my opp returned all his attacks from his unit on them

I run them as seperat units but during the games I usally play them as unit of 3 if I can

By that I mean I run them sideways and side by side. If you run or charge you want get the same distance but close enough.

If you do this the opponent cant bubbelrap and they only get a few units that hit the respective Khorgorath.

If the Bloodreavers want to hit the Khorgoraths they have to split the attacks between.

Then if you can max out the use of termin so even less modells can pile i around the Khorgoraths the better. 

336C3ACB-D5E7-486E-8B40-53515036CCA2.jpeg

8 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

. Unlucky to lose that first game from what sounds like unbelievable rolling on his part (such is warhammer). 

I may have minimized my bad moves in this game. I had no reason to advance my bloodthirster at all and that would have deny him the kill and the long charge. 

Archived