Bloodthirster - which is the one to go with

Malin

Hi guys,

was wondering recently which variant of Bloodthirster to choose, so which one of them is "The biggest, the best, better than the rest"?

Do you have any experiences of playing with or against them? Which one you think is the best and why?

Waiting for your comments and suggestions. I have the old metal one, but have a friend with goo converting skills who might change him into proper variant.

Regards

Malin

26 minutes ago, Ben said:

Wrath of Khorne seems to be the fave. 

The command ability is very powerful and his shooting attack really hurts. 

This. 

The wrath of khorne bloodthirster has an outrageous command ability, run and charge with +1 on both rolls. This is easily combined with the bloodstokers +3 run and charge ability (and sayl the faithless 18" move spell) to give a unit of Khorne Daemons (Skarbrand or big unit of blood letters/skullcrushers) a massive reach of potentially 44". 

His shooting does also make him stand out. D3 mortal wounds just for standing nearby. But the (starts at) 6 wounds from his big flail means he can insta-kill a support character (priest/wizard) on his way into something juicy. 

Love him, he is the core of my Khorne Daemon army. As it should be. 

I use the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster. It's important to note that you shouldn't run him up the field and charge into everything, he's OK in combat, but against large numbers he will fall before you get to your turn again when you can shoot and attack. His main strength comes from his shooting/range attacks, as Khorne have very little of this. 

22 hours ago, Bowlzee said:

I use the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster. It's important to note that you shouldn't run him up the field and charge into everything, he's OK in combat, but against large numbers he will fall before you get to your turn again when you can shoot and attack. His main strength comes from his shooting/range attacks, as Khorne have very little of this. 

Thanks for this, highly valuable comment :) May your axe be blessed by many skulls cut by it! By Khorne it will be done!

• 1 month later...

Well his damage output is significantly higher. But as he lacks a built in command ability he is of less use as a general. In my experience he is best teamed up with another bloodthirster (see above thread) or sayl the faithless. Get him to attack in range of a Bloodsecrator and/or wrathmongers and watch whatever he is in combat with die very quickly. Just don't get cocky and charge him in in turn 1 unless he's been seriously wounded. Cause he sucks unless he's raging mad.

A guy locally uses the insenset rage bloodthirster, he's OK most of the time and he usually buffs him with 2 bloodstokers, but when those 6s to wound come up the guy is a monster dealing out horrific numbers of mortal wounds. He decimated my goblins army last game and was right in the thick of it all game. 

9 hours ago, Knight of Ruin said:

See, i want a Wrath of Khorne one, or unfettered fury, just for the ease of slotting one in for my 40k stuff. But Skarbrand is so tempting! I do think skarbrand is a nice monster for bloodbound, as you don't really want the command ability from the normal thirsters.

I was flicking through the various Warscrolls yesterday and agree, the command abilities are focused quite specifically on Khorne Daemons, so not masses of use if you run a heavy mortal component in your army.  Must be honest and say that I do prefer the Skarbrand legs over the gazelle leaping ones!

Glottkin is solid choice - good buff and strong attacks. Too easy to kill for its cost though.

Archaon (New) is also solid but expensive, which counteracts his command ability multiplication. Archaon (Old) is better.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the unfettered fury Thirster with my mortal list. The Lash is helpful for grabbing those heroes and pulling them away from their friends. I also usually have my skull grinder nearby ready to pounce as well as Valkia.  Now granted the generals rulebook after looking at it will have you paying a premium for Khorne. So squeezing one in can be a little more difficult if looking for the mortal Khorne synergy list.

• 3 months later...

Archived