Ghoul patrol, a bad thing?

Dracothjay

Hi guys. Really love the look of ghoul patrol and how it works. Especially for the constant unit regen from the formation buff and the ghast's regen buff also.

However, I feel I should ask about the formation in a negative way as i feel there could be issues with it. I worry for these reasons:

a) the formation can come in on any table edge first movement phase. Unless you use them to come on your side, is this a bad thing if you deploy in enemy territory as you would be miles away from any synergy?

b) having a 'deep striking' formation has the aggression I'm looking for, but surely it's better to march your whole army up and maintain the buffs and tight bubble'd synergy?

how do people usually run this formation? I'm looking for outright aggression.

a) the formation can come in on any table edge first movement phase. Unless you use them to come on your side, is this a bad thing if you deploy in enemy territory as you would be miles away from any synergy?

There are lots of trade offs here as you say. Thankfully the main synergy in turn one is the aoe reroll wounds from the highly mobile GKoZD. You're not going to be doing any regen on the turn that the Ghoul Patrol arrives, but may need to get your Courtiers in fast for the next turn. 

It doesn't say that the whole battalion has to deploy from one edge. You could split up and put units on multiple edges (of course then you lose the benefit of the regeneration from the Ghast - but not the regeneration from the battalion).

b) having a 'deep striking' formation has the aggression I'm looking for, but surely it's better to march your whole army up and maintain the buffs and tight bubble'd synergy?

Given the total lack of real shooting (i.e. longer than 12 inches), there's a lot of value of being able to put pressure on your opponent turn one. Otherwise they can happily sit archers on their 12 inch line and be in range turn one. It can also allow you to grab objectives turn one.

3 hours ago, Nico said:

It can also allow you to grab objectives turn one.

Which battle plans are you scoring objectives in turn one and what are their location? In my experience, the formation struggles to score objectives turn one because of the inability to move after arriving.  They are able to charge, but that means your opponent has already scored as well. 

I doubt you have to use the battalion if you don't want it (you can choose to not deploy all your units so that you finish deploying earlier than an opponent for example). I suspect you are right that if you do use it, then all 3 Ghoul Units have to be off the table - you cannot do half on and half off.

4 minutes ago, Nico said:

I doubt you have to use the battalion if you don't want it (you can choose to not deploy all your units so that you finish deploying earlier than an opponent for example). I suspect you are right that if you do use it, then all 3 Ghoul Units have to be off the table - you cannot do half on and half off.

To quote the battalion (emphasis mine):

On Patrol: Instead of setting up the units in a Ghoul Patrol on the battlefield, you must place them to one side...

5 minutes ago, Nico said:

Yes - I acknowledged that - but you could choose not to deploy the battalion at all.

If you're in a Matched Play environment, your battalions are a part of your list. You can't leave it off any more than you can leave off any other part of your list.

For that matter, the second part of the rule - the part that tells you when and how to deploy the models - also uses the word "must."

If you're in a Matched Play environment, your battalions are a part of your list. You can't leave it off any more than you can leave off any other part of your list.

This is due to the deployment rules - you can stop deploying when you like which means you can stop deploying before deploying the Ghoul Patrol (I.e. Informing your opponent that you're using it).

1 hour ago, Nico said:

This is due to the deployment rules - you can stop deploying when you like which means you can stop deploying before deploying the Ghoul Patrol (I.e. Informing your opponent that you're using it).

So... you can just not deploy those models? How many hundred points down will that leave you?

Archived