Best units in Chaos.

Broken Netcode

24 minutes ago, MikeGreen said:

I also thought that this is easy to say what shines and what sucks in a given alliance. Unfortunately  AoS is "too complicated" for that

(poor WFB is rolling in its grave)

Dude, no need to be salty about it. What people think is what people think and sometimes its hard to change that. I suggest sticking to the subject at hand rather than potentially causing another uproar.

29 minutes ago, MikeGreen said:

I also thought that this is easy to say what shines and what sucks in a given alliance. Unfortunately  AoS is "too complicated" for that

(poor WFB is rolling in its grave)

I've spoken to you privately. Now I'll do so publicly. Please stop posting comments designed to provoke.

Just now, Khornes_Berzerker said:

I see a lot of people praising Archaon the lesser. What makes him so good? What are people taking with him?

The fact that he is essentially the same profile and rules as the larger (albeit attacks and abilities for chimera-dorgar) for less than half the points cost. Thus you can spend more points on synergies and create a very powerful leader to your force. Models like the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut and Slaanesh Lord on Daemonic mount both make him wipe units out very quickly. With the khorne lord on juggernaut buffing Archie, he suddenly has a 10% increase in chance of outright slaying a model.

AoS is a complex game and which units are best really depend on how you use them as many in this list I find pretty worthless and some in the worst list are ones I get a lot of use out of. 

I will say Sayl the faithless will find himself in most strong chaos lists though, and I was just beaten to mentioning plaguebearers strength at least in the current meta.

12 minutes ago, Broken Netcode said:

The fact that he is essentially the same profile and rules as the larger (albeit attacks and abilities for chimera-dorgar) for less than half the points cost. Thus you can spend more points on synergies and create a very powerful leader to your force. Models like the Khorne Lord on Juggernaut and Slaanesh Lord on Daemonic mount both make him wipe units out very quickly. With the khorne lord on juggernaut buffing Archie, he suddenly has a 10% increase in chance of outright slaying a model.

Also, his ability to raise or lower battleshock rolls is awesome. Keeps your mortal units intact, and greatly improves the chance of getting a "1" for demon tests. D6 restored. I'll take it. Free demons without having to put summoning points aside.

4 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Isn't that more of a case that Khorne armies synergise very well rather than Chaos Knights possessing those abilities themselves. They are very effective on the charge buffed or not. I not sure I'd have them in a top unit list, they're a bit one trick. 

Agreed - that applies to any Khorne unit, and is something that (for now, until the others are fleshed out in AoS), gives Khorne an edge.  Within that context, Knights, especially Knights with glaives, are a fantastic platform on which to pile Khorne buffs.  Good move, good durability, and solid base stats.  They're "one trick" in the sense that they rely on the charge, and are about killing things, but it's a pretty great trick.  About the only thing in the game they'd struggle with are the few units that have both high armour save and ignore rend - Temple Guard will be an issue, for example.  However, being Chaos / Khorne, they synergize with some units that solve that problem, notably Slaughterpriests.  When you take into account both their quite good basic profile, and the potential for synergy, they're a pretty fantastic unit.

FMB

1 hour ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Agreed - that applies to any Khorne unit, and is something that (for now, until the others are fleshed out in AoS), gives Khorne an edge.  Within that context, Knights, especially Knights with glaives, are a fantastic platform on which to pile Khorne buffs.  Good move, good durability, and solid base stats.  They're "one trick" in the sense that they rely on the charge, and are about killing things, but it's a pretty great trick.  About the only thing in the game they'd struggle with are the few units that have both high armour save and ignore rend - Temple Guard will be an issue, for example.  However, being Chaos / Khorne, they synergize with some units that solve that problem, notably Slaughterpriests.  When you take into account both their quite good basic profile, and the potential for synergy, they're a pretty fantastic unit.

FMB

That's a damn fine argument and a line of thought I wasn't considering, you've convinced me. 

20 hours ago, Khornes_Berzerker said:

I see a lot of people praising Archaon the lesser. What makes him so good? What are people taking with him?

Also, if you take him as a general - every other hero in your army gets to use their command ability. That alone is huge!

From the other side, Blood Warriors can be awful to deal with when they're all buffed-up. I imagine against gunlines they suffer, but the fact they get to attack again upon death is brutal. My Death really struggle to deal with them en-masse. Bloodsecrators are practically auto-include in Khorne lists, it seems. I dunno about other Gods, I never see Slaanesh or Tzeentch, and the local Nurgle player here doesn't really get much luck.

Anyway...*shuffles back to the graveyard.*

1 hour ago, foolsama said:

Also, if you take him as a general - every other hero in your army gets to use their command ability. That alone is huge!

Strikes me though that he's so expensive, you'd hardly have room for other characters in the list. I've never played with such a massive character yet, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. Seems like it'd be very limiting in terms of tactical options. 

Strikes me though that he's so expensive, you'd hardly have room for other characters in the list. I've never played with such a massive character yet, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. Seems like it'd be very limiting in terms of tactical options.

The 320 point one, not the 700 point embarrassment.

38 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I imagine against gunlines they suffer, but the fact they get to attack again upon death is brutal.

They do suffer a bit against gunlines - especially if there's any kind of rend involved.  The extra attack is one of the things that really makes the unit bite - but it does only trigger in the combat phase so again is vulnerable to being shot!

Anyone have anything against me nominating a hellcannon?

48" range. Chucking out 2D6 mortal wounds most of the time.

The Kurnoth Hunters lining up to shoot off the crew - oh it's 300 points in the trashcan turn one. It's great against Ironjawz. Don't pretend you can hide it behind terrain, try playing at Warhammer World - while there's loads of terrain hardly any of it blocks line of sight.

Archived