Let's chat Grotz and Moonclan

MidasKiss

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

You pick a melee weapon.

One would assume the spears yes, bit of a weird one tho.

Thought so, although it's not intuitive (nor are any other options for it). 

Thought it might be a fun experiment to use the artifact on the arachnarok rather than the general, as another source of reliable mortal wounds. With that base he will surely get a 3-4 mortal wounds from it if I throw him forward into the fray. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I'm trying to decide on what artillery to get for my moonclan group. 

I've been looking at the Rock Lobbers or the Doom diver catapults. Anyone have any thoughts? Squig Gobba? 

Also, is a group of 20 Grots with bows a good idea? Or just stick with spears? 

Thanks!

Units of 20 are generally weak units regardless what you give them, but may as well have bows if they are just going to retreat and survive near objectives. If the unit is 40 or 60 then spears are great as you can attack in 3 rows. 

However i still use spears even for 20s because i like to have a big flexible pool of spears that can be used in various lists and combos. Depends how many you're willing to paint; i never want to paint another grot after doing 100 of them. 

I haven't experimented with artillery but am tempted by 4 lobbas because they will always be able to kill the thing you want to kill, even if behind los terrain, most typically a hero or unit of shooters. Also because you can get 4 models into 400pts of artillery, whereas 3 for the other choices.  

3 hours ago, b.rody said:

Alright, I'm trying to decide on what artillery to get for my moonclan group. 

How much arti do you want and what allies are you intending on using. If you want to bring in none artillery allies then the squig gobba is your go to, his big advantages are that he's in faction and doesn't require pairing to get the best out of him.

If you want as much arti as possible go for the Rock Lobber, at 100 a piece you can field 2 batteries of 2 and put 4 arti pieces down at only 40 points more than 3 doomdivers or spear chukkas.

On the other hand if you're just going for 2 pieces then the Spear Chukka is great at character sniping for only 40 points more a pair.

Realistically the only arti I don't recommend is the doomdiver, the other 3 are all great options.

Honestly, I just started looking into adding some artillery pieces because it seems like everyone in my group are putting a balewind vortex in the list. 

I know it's probably not the biggest deal, but having some shooting seems like a good idea. 

Here's what I have so far. 

1 Warboss

2 Shaman

20 Grots with spears (40 more on sprue to be built) 

6 fanatics

2 Mangler Squigs

25 Cave Squigs + 4 Squig Herders

Looking to order a Colossal Squig soon + some type of artillery piece(s)

I feel like I probably need more Grots. Whenever I build a list I always feel like I'm 10+ points over for a 2000 pt list. 

I'm not worried about being the most competitive, but would like to hang in the games. Any tips/tricks greatly appreciated. Also, thanks for the helpful comments thus far. 

So if you're using it to answer a balewind then you don't want the squig gobba, it's short range means that it will just be nuked off the board with spells before it can knock them off. 

In that case either the rock lobber or the spear chukka will do, both have their advantages.

Spear Chukka

• +1 to hit vs heroes and rerolling in batteries means you've a good chance to pop him 3 or 4 shots in the kisser. 
  • 36" range means you ideally should start out of range and then move the 4" into range as most spells are 18" or 36" with balewind.
  • Being on the balewind reduces, but doesn't eliminate, the line of sight issues.
  • Is the cutting edge of grot anti-hero warfare.
  • Unfortunately not as good at post hero warfare (once the gits are dead!)

Rock Lobber

• 40" Range means you can comfortably sit and nuke with no fear of reprisal from most casters. 
  • Flat 3 damage, instead of d3,  means that 2 successful hits will kill almost all wizards. No rolling required! cept for all that other rolling....
  • No line of sight required.
  • 20 points less means you get your 4th Siege engine at a mere 40 points compared to 3 Spear Chukkas.
  • Better utility once all those annoying heroes are dead.

Personally I'm looking to change up my ironjawz list to include 2/4 rock lobbers, I just have so many problems taking out key pieces and find that I just can't get the brutes onto the things I need them on. 

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Ironjawz Battleline

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
- Allies

Total: 1990 / 2000
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 164

Gives me the ability to field 2 batteries, thus making them harder to deep strike since I can place them in different areas of the field, along with a huge unobstructed threat radius for key heroes. Not to mention that rock lobbers are a perfect hate inclusion against some of the real bitchy horde armies, looking at you fyreslayers, where the 2+ to hit vs 10+ units, extra shot on 5+ and -2 rend really shine at obliterating those swarming dorf vermin. 

I've played in 4 tournaments now and every time I find myself wishing I had a better way to take out those pesky heroes. Definitely thinking the Rock Lobbers are it.

I'm still slowly building as small Moonclan force and was hoping for some feedback.  In general, I tend to build towards the models and narrative that Inspires my imagination but I also want to make sure that I have a fighting chance against most lists.

1k Moonclan 

120 Grot Warboss, moon prodder, giant squig, general

120  Grot Warboss on great cave squig

80 Grot Shaman

260 Grots with stabbas (40)

130 Grots (20)

180 Fellwater Troggoths 

100 Fanatics 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

An alternative that I considered was dropping the 2nd Warboss to up the other of Grots up to 40 as well.

On 01/02/2018 at 3:33 PM, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I'm still slowly building as small Moonclan force and was hoping for some feedback.  In general, I tend to build towards the models and narrative that Inspires my imagination but I also want to make sure that I have a fighting chance against most lists.

1k Moonclan 

120 Grot Warboss, moon prodder, giant squig, general

120  Grot Warboss on great cave squig

80 Grot Shaman

260 Grots with stabbas (40)

130 Grots (20)

180 Fellwater Troggoths 

100 Fanatics 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

An alternative that I considered was dropping the 2nd Warboss to up the other of Grots up to 40 as well.

The grot heros are pretty weak except the spider one, so would swap for more grots tbh. bear in mid the new shaman is out next week and is tankier than the current shaman, for the same points. He might be a better option as that gives 1 shaman for zapping enemies and 1 for casting shield on your grots. 

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

ok cool, makes me feel better about preordering him >.< can go alongside my wurrgog when i just want spell output

Yeah its cheered me up a bit, seems he still has value as a regular shaman mystic shield spammer. Sucks that Moonclan still have no tough generals though. Can't see myself switching from spiders. For some 1k lists he might actually be useful as a general as he saves 40 points over the current general. Looking at the new death tome though i'm more worried about bravery defense.... 

10 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Yeah its cheered me up a bit, seems he still has value as a regular shaman mystic shield spammer. Sucks that Moonclan still have no tough generals though. Can't see myself switching from spiders. For some 1k lists he might actually be useful as a general as he saves 40 points over the current general. 

His command ability might be really important at lower points values for getting key units in and out. Being able to retreat then charge an arachnarok for example!

Just now, Malakree said:

His command ability might be really important at lower points values for getting key units in and out. Being able to retreat then charge an arachnarok for example!

yeah I'll try it out for sure, looking forward to experimenting with the little dude. I was thinking I'd maybe use the charge command ability turn 1 on something glass cannony, then default to inspiring presence on my 60 grots (love it so much). But yeah the retreat and charge ability could be great situationally. I just find inspiring presence is too good on grots to swap for something else. Can't think of any other faction that gets such a big bravery boost from it! 

With spiders i can charge turn 1 anyway so no need for him (and i need the spider command ability more). 

In 1k I really like having arachnarok as general, using inspiring presence. 

2 hours ago, Sheriff said:

yeah its 80. the stormcast guy is 100 iirc, ghost guy is 120. 

Nice he'll be drop in replacement for one of my other shamans. Though I think I have a 20 point gap in my current list, so I may drop the warboss instead and make room for more squigs.

Good news, the spore squig with the new cave shaman is a whole piece, so combined with the squig with the fanatics, we're 2/5 of the way to a unit of plastic squigs. Maybe more if there are any 40k squigs that don't grenades attached to them or something.

13 hours ago, Malakree said:

Question regarding "wholly within" does it require that every model is in range or is it that every part of every models base is in range. If it's the first then you could potentially do some glorious stuff with monster bases.

Per the FAQ (page 2), if a unit is required to be "wholly within" that means every part of each model in that unit (unfortunately). 

1 hour ago, Imperial said:

New battletome incoming? Allegaince - moonclan grots

You can already take that Allegiance, so the Squig Hoppers and Cave Squigs become battleline.  You just have to take the Destruction allegiance abilities with it.  

That being said, they are getting a few mentions now (including the very good short story on the Malign Portents website), so I do hope you're right!

My fear is that in a world of shooting, and mortal wounds at unlimited range, we will have a synergy army based around 4-wound heroes with terrible saves.  

My hope is that we will have "Emerge from the shadows" themed deep striking.

My expectation is that we will have some very cool and thematic "pop a 'shroom and go bananas" abilities.

If the latter means we are spraying mortal wounds left and right. I'll be a happy snotling :-)

13 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

You can already take that Allegiance, so the Squig Hoppers and Cave Squigs become battleline.  You just have to take the Destruction allegiance abilities with it.

I checked pictures for death and order and they was with existed and available allegiance! So i hope it's was some sort of teaser for grots.

8 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

My hope is that we will have "Emerge from the shadows" themed deep striking.

My expectation is that we will have some very cool and thematic "pop a 'shroom and go bananas" abilities.

If the latter means we are spraying mortal wounds left and right. I'll be a happy snotling :-)

Gotta be honest the fact that these are the two staples of new armies drives me up the wall. I hate the prevalence of deep striking and mortal wounds and think they are currently a cancer on the game....the fact without them Moonclan will be irrelevant just highlights this.

I'd much rather they give Moonclan -1/2 to hit vs shooting attack and a mortal wound save like the Fungoid Cave Shaman, at least those would take a dump on the current cancer armies without causing Moonclan to become one.

There seems to be something stirring around Moonclan, and I couldn't be happier. We've seen painting tutorials, a rumour engine that is possibly a squig, a story, etc. Thinking about the Grand Alliances as a whole, Destruction is due for another tome considering Order and Death are likely getting two releases this year (DoK, Aelves, LoN, New Death). 

Even if they made some plastic kits and retire the finecast we could have a totally modern army, but I really hope they lean into the mushroom theme like the Cave-Shaman.

To be honest my hope is that they release a brand new destruction battle-tome, Legions of Nagash style, which updates all the warscrolls, adds a bunch of battalions and introduces some cross faction allegiances. There really needs to be an allegiance which has Greenskins, Gitmob and Ardboys as battleline. 

If all we get is a single faction battle-tome I'll be sad. That having nothing to do with Moonclan being my least favourite of the Green Tribes....

Archived