Skyborne Slayers - Optimum Load out?

AaronWilson

I will still go for a Celestial Prime. That is the best fit for Skyborne Slayers for you can use it in dirrerent ways against different enemies.

Another case will be adding one Hammerstrike on top of SKyborn, but remember always the Skyborn first then Hammerstrike try to approach in the following round

I know people go raving on about retributors, but Decimators (great against the amount of horde armies out there) and protectors (helpful to support your blocks of battle line against shooting) are still solid choices in combat.

You can still fit in Fulminators or LCoD's with the army to push forward and take objectives before the cavalry arrive.  SE lack manoeuvrability and are subject to mass ranged/mortal wounds. The deployment from the skyborne helps counter this weakness quite well.

Personally, im liking the idea of 10 protectors and 5 Decimators. The protectors can form up infront of your army and push forwards and dish out a vast ammount of damage, moreso to all those monster characters out there. With the LC buffing them, you can't really go wrong. Id support the list with either 2 LCoD or if you really want retributors, you can take 10 of them with Vexilor onto of the skyborne.

So the Batallion comes in at 1360 with a unit of 10 Protectors which gives us a core list of - 

Lord Celestant

2 x 5 Liberators

2 X 5 Judicators

1 X 10 Protectors

1 X 5 Decimator

Struggling to fit in much else which is  meaningful.

You can go for something like Fulminators + Lord Castellant which leaves you with 60 points spare.

A prime + Lord Celestant on Dracoth gives you 60 points spare also.

You could go for something like LCoD, Venator + Castellant which leaves you 200 points to max the decimators, leaves you in a good spot for three places of power also. Of the above builds I like the last best.

28 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

I know people go raving on about retributors, but Decimators (great against the amount of horde armies out there) and protectors (helpful to support your blocks of battle line against shooting) are still solid choices in combat.

You can still fit in Fulminators or LCoD's with the army to push forward and take objectives before the cavalry arrive.  SE lack manoeuvrability and are subject to mass ranged/mortal wounds. The deployment from the skyborne helps counter this weakness quite well.

Personally, im liking the idea of 10 protectors and 5 Decimators. The protectors can form up infront of your army and push forwards and dish out a vast ammount of damage, moreso to all those monster characters out there. With the LC buffing them, you can't really go wrong. Id support the list with either 2 LCoD or if you really want retributors, you can take 10 of them with Vexilor onto of the skyborne.

If there is one thing I like more than miners it's giant lizard horses. I'm all for an LCoD and concussors or 2 LCoD.

Actually, whilst I love the idea of 5 more protectors, I am wondering if 3 LCoDs is too nuts.

Basically I want to use my concussor models and my LCoD model.

The list would look like -

LCod

Lord Celestant

Lord Castellant

Knight Venator

10 Decimators

10 Protectors

5 Liberators

5 Liberators 

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

Skyborne Slayers.

Can put Reckless command trait on the Lord Celestant to ensure charges, drop a Relic Blade on the LCoD and leaves you a artefact still to use.

Yeah the above is good, or if you want, drop the castellant and venator for another LCOD which are very tanky. Venator tends to either do a lot or nothing, but yes as you can see, dropping 20 Paladins can be a struggle for a lot of armies to deal with, rather than the gimmicky 10 retributor + vexillor.

I like the idea of the castellant + Venator, I don't know if it's personal preference as I've used both a bit but I really like the castellant for his small points, and I like the venator for his flexibility and ability to pick away at wizard etc. 

Thanks for your advice. The above list is a serious contender for the GT. 

Next question is - load outs?

Bows for judicators.

I don't think star soul maces is worth it for decimators as they want to fight hordes, but I think star soul maced is worth if for the protectors?

+1 to the above, you want to take the star maces as statistically they do more guaranteed wounds than most other weapons. Automatic D3 mortal wounds with no need to roll? Hell yes! 

I'd stick with bows and as they are in a Skyborne, id personally take the special Xbow for the additional mortal wounds, but thats personal preferance. I understand most others prefer just bows to stay out of range but with 10 protectors and 10 decimators in the way, I can't see them getting into combat often.

4 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

I don't think star soul maces is worth it for decimators as they want to fight hordes, but I think star soul maced is worth if for the protectors?

Protectors are aimed against big targets usually so yes, 2D3 mortal wounds are welcome anytime.

For decimators, for an axe to be statistically equal to a starsoulmace each one of your decimators has to be in range of at least 7! ennemy models in the 2" bubule.

Right,  do 2 maced on each paladin squad and ideally 4 bows / special xbow on judicators

I am thinking Reckless as a command trait for lord-Celestant, blade on LCoD and a obstinate blade on Lord Castellant..

Which gives me a list that looks like...

Lord-Celestant (General), Command trait - Reckless, 

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth - Artefact of power - Relic blade

Lord-Castellant - Artefact of Power - Obstiante blade 

Knight-Venator

5 Judicators - 4 Bows, 1 Tbolt Xbox

5 Judicators - 4 Bows, 1 Tbolt Xbow

5 Liberators, 4 Hammers 1 Grandhammer

5 Liberators, 4 Hammers, 1 Grandhammer

10 Decimators, 4 Maces

10 Protectors, 4 Maces

Skyborne Slayers

1 minute ago, AlexHarrison said:

I wouldnt bother with the grand hammer personally, as they will most likely be used to sit on objectives so the shield is nice to have but if you are playing super aggresive then its a fair one. List is pretty much the same as mine right now so you have my approval haha.

I am pretty sure the prime gets a reroll for 1 saves as the unit has shields. Even if he is the last left. As such it's just a compulsory sweet bonus.

4 minutes ago, AlexHarrison said:

Oh I wasn't aware of that, in which case fair enough :)

Yeah, it's covered in the wording: "You can reroll save rolls of 1 for this unit if any models from the unit are carrying sigmarite shields."

Given you don't mix and match wargear for the 4 liberators and there are no banners or standard bearers for Stormcast to add another layer of confusion, this must refer to the special weapon wielder.

Edit/

I am just thinking that it I am not certain what happens if the special weapon wielder is the last model left (which is always the case for me as it's on the prime). The wording for me becomes more ambiguous then. Does it mean active models in the unit?

13 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I am just thinking that it I am not certain what happens if the special weapon wielder is the last model left (which is always the case for me as it's on the prime). The wording for me becomes more ambiguous then. Does it mean active models in the unit?

It's active models in the unit -- most of the game is played WYSIWYG. So if you have the special weapon and a shield bearer left on the field (just two models out of a 10-man unit, for instance), you get the rerolls. However, after killing off the shield bearer, the next time you're doing save rolls you're stuck with the standard 4+ with no rerolls, as there are no shields in the unit.

I have 2 slayer variation lists.

my first is paladin power:

lord celestant

knight vexillor

knight venator

judicators

judicators

liberators

liberators

5 protectors - 2 maces

5 decimators - 2 maces

10 retributors - 4 maces

3 prosecutors with javelins

how I play this is wave 1; drop the slayers and exhaust your opponents frontline ranks and reduce his options. Your opponent will always be forced to react to this instant threat and he will commit his heavy hitters to the fray for a quick solution. 

Wave 2; teleport your rets in and target his heavy hitters, or cut them off depending on how far away his reinforcements are. I usually commit the rets in round 2-3, depending on how the feel of the battle is. 

Knight venator and prosecutors either obj grab or hero focus. I tend to focus wizards as it's a likelier/easier kill with his one shot ability, especially against chaos.

LIST 2:

exactly the same slayers loadout, but instead of the Vexillor and ret bomb I add:

celestant prime

2 fulminators.

3 prosecutors with javelins.

on paper, it looks like I lack power with the 2nd list, but this list I always do better with.

following my procedure with list one, I exhaust my units to the extent of down to the last man then I drop my prime, which is usually turn 3-4. 

Also on turn 3-4 I move my fulminators in to support my prime as either a distraction or meatshield. Although the prime kills anything that touches him, he is also a glass hammer and needs to be shielded. Couple all your shooting from your army with the primes shooting ability and the fulminators = a very nasty shooting phase, which usually results in a mortal wound span on his top remaining threatening unit/monster etc.

im also considering dropping the prime and and prosecutors to fit in 2 more fulminators and a Vexillor. 4 fulminators via teleport can really ruin people's day. I've seen it done, but haven't played it myself.

in either case, I seriously think doubling up on your slayer Paladins is reducing options for your game plan and always look to add more units around the formation that will tactically aid you for either objective grabbing and holding, places of power or just all out warfare.

My Prime is modeled with the big hammer and the shield.

The Relic Blade is way better than the obstinate blade - it's a 50% damage buff for the weapon at least (assuming damage 2), which is more than an extra point of rend (which might change 50% not saved to 66.67% not saved (which is 33.3% more damage). Nothing to stop you taking duplicate artefacts.

One for a hero (your general can be a non-hero, but if so, it cannot take one - how I wish I could take an artefact on Stompy). 

One extra one per Battalion in your army, so 2 in total for a standard Skyborne Slayer list.

Archived