Feedback on this Blood Warrior?

GreenMarine

Great job, it's so easy to go too thick when applying the edge highlight but you have kept it nice and crisp and the gold/brass has been kept as the main colour, sometimes the silver edge can end up being more dominant. In terms of adding a bit extra, maybe a light grey on parts of the boots and shaft, not as much as the previous highlight.

Fantastic work! I think with the base done it would appear less dark overall. All I would say is the face seems too bright, maybe mix the highlight colour with the darker red. And the axe highlights are a bit harsh, I would give it an in between highlight layer then edge in the current colour.

1 hour ago, bottle said:

Looks great! I would make the face even lighter with very very fine highlights on the raised areas. The model is a little dark overall, but it is to a great standard. :)

Is there a good way to raise the brightness of the red elements? I note that the method described by Duncan in the video seems to lead to this darker red.

17 minutes ago, GreenMarine said:

Is there a good way to raise the brightness of the red elements? I note that the method described by Duncan in the video seems to lead to this darker red.

Mixing a little bleached bone with the red is good for highlighting without it appearing too yellow. A red  glaze will also help brighten the colour a bit.

Are you painting this for tabletop or are you trying for something better?

The secret to the best mini painting is contrast. Darker shadows and brighter highlights with smooth transitions between the two. 

9 hours ago, GreenMarine said:

Once you've done the wash, apply Khorne Red to a larger area, basically only leaving the shade right in the corners.  Then edge highlight in Evil Sun Scarlet.  If you want to push it a little farther (I tend not to on rank and file models) use a tiny highlight of a flesh colour - Cadian Fleshtone would be my choice.

KhorneBloodboundFirstFinished.jpg

On 2016년 10월 19일 at 0:27 AM, GreenMarine said:

I think it's a massive faux pas to post your own miniatures in another's thread, but I am going to apologise and then do it anyway :-p I'm sorry!!

large.Slaughterpriest---2.jpg.5cd81e29bf

On my Bloodbound Slaughterpriest I kept the reds bright by highlighting all the way to white (well, pallid wytch flesh) and I don't mean mixing white with red, I mean just flatout painting white on the model. :-)  

I use my own model to illustrate that you can go as bright as you want with red, all the way to white in fact. But it's important the brighter you go the smaller you go. When it got to the white I tried to go as fine as my brush would allow and I used it only to dot the corners and other raised areas.

I am no expert with colour theory but I find red is unique in many ways with highlighting because you can't just keep mixing a lighter shade in as with red it inevitably becomes another colour in the process. Take blue, as an opposite example; you could start with a dark blue and slowly mix in white to the paint to highlight. If you did that with red you'd end up with pink. Try yellows instead and it turns orange, try flesh tones and it turns peach. So what I have found is that highlighting red works best when the final highlight colour isn't mixed with red - but is just another colour. Usually a fleshtone.

So highlight up to Red Sunz or Wild Rider red and after that jump to Cadian Fleshtone, or jump to Kislev Flesh (my standard) or jump to Pallid Wych Flesh (the model above) or even jump to straight white. Just remember to keep those edge highlights as thin as you can possibly make them! (For example look how neat the lines are on @RuneBrush's Bloodbound knee pads :-) )

12 hours ago, bottle said:

On my Bloodbound Slaughterpriest I kept the reds bright by highlighting all the way to white (well, pallid wytch flesh) and I don't mean mixing white with red, I mean just flatout painting white on the model. :-)

This is a good alternative to using a flesh colour.  Pallid Wych Flesh is a really nice off-white colour that will give the illusion of a solid/hard armour panel.

12 hours ago, bottle said:

I think it's a massive faux pas to post your own miniatures in another's thread, but I am going to apologise and then do it anyway :-p I'm sorry!!

Ah, good point - hadn't thought of that! sorry too!

Archived