Lions of Sigmar - My Stormbros Plog

Johan Mars

Hi there, so have been painting on and off on my Stormcast army since the release one year ago but is finally getting something that could work as an army. I'll start in the beginning and post pictures from the past until now. Then hopefully this will make me paint this army even faster as I post what I'm painting at the moment and how my progress are.

DSC_0831.JPG

Anyway I decided to go with purple shoulder pads etc. and bronze armor when I saw the first pictures of the Stormcast Eternals. And when I got my first Liberator from White Dwarf I painted him up as an test mini.

I was happy with the result and when the starterbox came and we learned more about the Stormcast Eternals I realiserad that that was pretty much the exact colors for the Lions of Sigmar Stormhost. So great! I will do an Lions of Sigmar army.

I then continued to paint the Liberators from the Starter Box and a Prosecutor, because I wanted to try out my airbrushing skills and try to get a similar but different effect like the wings the Eavy Metal team had done.

DSC_1145.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

DSC_0927.JPG

Was very pleased with how the wings turned out. Took some time to get done so I wanted to do something else next. The big centerpiece model for the stormcasts in the starter, the Lord-Celestant on Drakoth.

DSC_0918.JPG

I pretty much followed the Warhammer TV painting tutorial for skin on the Drakoth and really liked it. This model took some time too paint but I think what I learned from painting this will help me when I paint the rest of the Drakoths I have now (four Fulminators and one more Lord-Celestant). For example NOT to glue on the rider before you have painted all the things that will get tricky to reach when the model is together. On this model I actually cut it of from the Drakoth because you just can't reach some places with your brush otherwise.

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0043.JPGDSC_0050.JPG

Next up I painted up my Retributors followed by the Lord-Relictor, where fun to paint accept all the scrolls on the relictor, as they where already glued on it made the process of painting them even more time consuming.

With these done I only hade the Prosecutors and the second unit of Liberators left to complete the Stormcasts from starter set. Some painted up this set in a couple of weeks and it can be done quite easy with Stormcasts. But you can also take a more time consuming route which is the route I always take when it comes to painting. So from start to finish almost half a year for but during that time I also rebased a lot of other armies, painted and repainted other stuff as well so I was quite happy with this.

DSC_1141.JPG

DSC_1139.JPG

DSC_1116.JPG

DSC_1123.JPG

DSC_1149.JPG

And there is the core for my Stormcast army done, next project is the big guy... It's hammertime! But more of that in the next post. Hope you guys liked this, and if you want to jump forward in time to see the more recent stuff Iv'e painted you can always check out my blog where I also post all the stuff I'm painting among some other stuff. You can check that out here: diceandbrush.blogspot.com

A really neat army here with great photos, makes such a big difference. The skin on the dracoth looks particularly good. I also like the purple, always find it really difficult to do as I usually use gw paints and it always seems a big jump from nagaroth-xereus-genestealer but you have made it look really bright and the cloaks look brilliant.

Many thanks guys! 

On 2016-10-15 at 1:18 AM, Booah said:

A really neat army here with great photos, makes such a big difference. The skin on the dracoth looks particularly good. I also like the purple, always find it really difficult to do as I usually use gw paints and it always seems a big jump from nagaroth-xereus-genestealer but you have made it look really bright and the cloaks look brilliant.

I actually thought this as well, but as I was using those colors more I got the hang of it. Nagaroth I have as the base and then paint up with Xereus in two layers just leaving the Nagaroth in the recesses. Then depending on what I paint I layer up the edges with Genestealer, and as this color is so transparent I paint this up this up in several layers. And in some cases, adding a little White into it to a final highlight.

Okey so after the Starter Box content was finished I wanted to continue on the other Stormcast stuff I had bought.

This was the Lord-Celestant, Lord-Castellant, 5 Judicators, 5 Paladins and a Celestant-Prime. I felt I needed the Judicators the most and started to paint them I suddenly felt an urge to paint up the Celelstant-Prime, and I had to do it. So I put the Judicators on hold for a while. 

And OMG it took some to finish painting up this dude. But It is a centerpiece and a really beautiful model so wanted to take my time and paint it up as good as I could. Took probably a month to paint, with a lot of painting sessions. Just the vortex with all the swirling comets and mini planets took forever but was really pleased with how it turned out. Painted the vortex, the Prime body, the cape and the wings separately and this is pretty much mandatory.

This is probably the best I can do at the moment and really pleased with how it turned out. Hope you like it as well. 

DSC_1178.JPG

DSC_1185.JPG 

DSC_1189.JPG

DSC_1190.JPG

DSC_1195.JPG

Archived