Orruk warboss on wyvern and command ability

Kenjack167

Hi! I am a newbie to AOS and have read a few threads on this forum about different factions of orruk. It looks like no one will include warboss on wyvern in their lists.

Is he good for his points? Since i have picked up a greenskinz start collecting box, I would like to have him in my list too.

Also,regarding to his command ability, is it it can buff orruks only with a +1 extra attack? Which means if I have 3 weapons, I can only choose 1 weapon and add +1 attack on it?

Thanks for your help!

Hi. He is a great pick up if you want to play a Greenskinz army and I would say he is probably the best general if you were to make a mix of Greenskinz/ironjawz/bonesplitterz. All three of these factions have Orruk in the keywords for their warscroll. So all 3 factions can benefit.

A ironjawz megaboss Waaagh! only effects Ironjawz units with the same bonus unless you have 6 ironjawz units and roll a 6. 

Also he is damn cheap in matched play and can deal reasonable damage. 

Thanks N_Watson! But as a general, isnt the banner warboss is a better general since he acts as a support and will stay away from combat?

How about the venomous tail ability? Do you guys roll a dice for each wound dealt by the tail or just roll a dice for any wound made by the tail?

I play Greenskinz quite regularly and I always go with the Wyvern. Just don't make him your general. You want you general to be able to scream WAAAGH! all the time, surrounded by his boyz. The Wyvern will go over a flank or so to take out a menace early in the game. He is a heavy hitter as long as he does not get wounded much. Then his efficience drops rapidly. Don't forget that you can reroll saves with his shield. In my last game, he bashed 20 Marauders, 10 Chaos warriors, 5 Chaos Knights, and 10 Plaguebearers on his own. I mean, okay, I rolled just great that game but I'm telling you, this Orruk knows how to instill fear to the hearts of your enemies. ;)

I am just about to start building my wyvern to add to my growing ironjawz list.  I know he doesn't get the ironjawz tag, but I think he has a definitive role to play in a list.

haven't played the army at all, but he seems incredibly cost effective for what he can offer.  and personally I like his aesthetic a lot and want to see him fielded. over say the ubiquitous maw crusher.

I play him a lit as my general. Best choice is to keep him with your heavy hitters - in my mixed list, I run him near my Ardboys and Boarboys. Highly consider not going first in the first round (if it's your choice) because you'll basically want to get him and his buddies into combat asap (due to his command ability) - which you should be able to do if your opponent moves first. Plus, if you double turn with that command ability (it only works during your combat phase), you can pretty much set yourself up for an early win.

In battle he's really good but becomes terrible once he starts taking damage. Give him the battle brew to counteract this, or just hit him with a mystic shield: 3+ rerollable, maaaaaan!

I was thinking to play this model but as Azhag. He is just 100 pts more but the abilities seem much more effective for me:
- he is a Wizard with a low cost spell (5 on 2d6) with range 24"
-has the Command ability that gives +1 to hit&run&charge - for me great combining with 20 savage arrowboys (60 shots on 4+,4+)
- and 12 wounds& better bravery than warboss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I was thinking to play this model but as Azhag. He is just 100 pts more but the abilities seem much more effective for me:
- he is a Wizard with a low cost spell (5 on 2d6) with range 24"
-has the Command ability that gives +1 to hit&run&charge - for me great combining with 20 savage arrowboys (60 shots on 4+,4+)
- and 12 wounds& better bravery than warboss

Azhag is great but I personally don't like to play unique characters. Especially when they are dead in the current fluff. Azhag already died in the old fluff as his crown paralized him in the middle of battle once. But of course, that does not have to concern you.

However, great idea to combine them with the Bonesplitterz.

I feel the same way about named characters - but they're legacy scrolls as it is. Make up a reason why he's not Azhag, but use the Azhag scroll! I think they should have generic-ized some of the old character warscrolls, anyway.

I haven't tried out the Azhag scroll, but I might try it out if I need to make up some extra points.

I think the Orruk Warboss on Wyvern is actually a fantastic model for it's points. Very efficient indeed and not a bad choice of general, although like @Anaticula says you may not get the best usage out of that command ability due to him flying off on his own. I am definitely planning to add one of these to me army in the future. It's another great centrepiece model as well.

I think the Orruk Warboss on Wyvern is actually a fantastic model for it's points. Very efficient indeed and not a bad choice of general, although like @Anaticula says you may not get the best usage out of that command ability due to him flying off on his own. I am definitely planning to add one of these to me army in the future. It's another great centrepiece model as well.

Think Joe Hadfield has / had an Azhag (or (whatever he's called) on wyvern model you might be able to pick up off him

2 hours ago, Forestreveries said:

Think Joe Hadfield has / had an Azhag (or (whatever he's called) on wyvern model you might be able to pick up off him

I'm going to use the Mierce Wyvern, it's a model I've wanted for ages and finally have a use for. Reminds me of the Monster Hunter computer games.

Yeh @Anaticula, that is pretty cool. The problem I've found with 3rd party sculpts is that the riders aren't up to standard, the monsters are usually great. I will be converting a rider out of existing GW kits for mine to fit in with the aesthetic across my army.

Pretty exited to try out this guy...significantly less excited at the 30 Savage Orruks I need to convert and paint beforehand mind! Generic Battleline fun!!

@Anaticula nice work, the Ironjawz weapons work well. I have been using them to convert Savage Orruks into "Ardboy Yoofz" for my army.

My only comments would be how outdated those old boars look now! My first ever model was a 40k Snakebite Ork on one of them though so I do have a fondness for them! Also...round bases bro!!! :P 

5 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

@Anaticula nice work, the Ironjawz weapons work well. I have been using them to convert Savage Orruks into "Ardboy Yoofz" for my army.

My only comments would be how outdated those old boars look now! My first ever model was a 40k Snakebite Ork on one of them though so I do have a fondness for them! Also...round bases bro!!! :P 

Haha they don't deserve round bases! :D:D

My greenskinz are mostly still on old bases, because I had many old, painted models and it would be a pain to change them all. But my Ironjawz, of course, all have round bases.

Archived