World championship preview show

flying_dutchman

At time of posting, World Championships event coverage is live over on twitch

The Preview show starts in about 3 hours. Undead expectations are high:

Age of Sigmar: this is pretty much the last possible preview show before the new FEC battletome and range are due for release, and we've already seen a couple cool new FEC heroes on Warhammer community. A full new FEC release reveal is almost guaranteed. FEC have been desperate for a proper model range expansion since they were first split off from Vamp Counts / Soulblight. Additionally, chances are high that we'll see the first proper Mortarch reveal since Katakros back in 2nd edition, so this is a big deal for Death in the Mortal realms in terms of both models and lore. While fec is the primary undead news expected for AoS, we could also see the next Dawnbringers book reveal. It's likely that book would also focus on the new FEC refresh, but new releases for other death factions aren't entirely out of the question.  Unlikely, but still possible.

The Old World: TOW is supposed to get some time in the preview, and we've already seen what is supposed to be the full supported release range for the new Brettonians, which makes it likely that we could finally see some real focus on Tomb Kings - what models will be returning, what we might see new. A Tomb Kings preview isn't as certain as FEC - we might just see some sort of FOMO release box for brettonians for instance, like a 'you've seen the new brett models, now check out the new box you'll be able to buy them in' sort of deal. But still though, going in I'd say the odds are with us here.

40k: the big 40k preview is supposed to be Dark Angels, so big shrug in terms of undead, BUT the new Necron Codex is on the way. We've already seen previews for Imotekh and a new Overlord, and we're not expecting a big range refresh this time around, so that might be it. However, it's entirely possible that there might still be some new Necron stuff yet to show tonight.

Side Games: It's side games, who knows, there's always a chance of something. I've heard some potential FEC underworlds buzz, but it might be just noise.

Edited by Sception

1 hour ago, Sception said:

At time of posting, World Championships event coverage is live over on twitch

The Preview show starts in about 3 hours. Undead expectations are high:

Age of Sigmar: this is pretty much the last possible preview show before the new FEC battletome and range are due for release, and we've already seen a couple cool new FEC heroes on Warhammer community. A full new FEC release reveal is almost guaranteed. FEC have been desperate for a proper model range expansion since they were first split off from Vamp Counts / Soulblight. Additionally, chances are high that we'll see the first proper Mortarch reveal since Katakros back in 2nd edition, so this is a big deal for Death in the Mortal realms in terms of both models and lore. While fec is the primary undead news expected for AoS, we could also see the next Dawnbringers book reveal. It's likely that book would also focus on the new FEC refresh, but new releases for other death factions aren't entirely out of the question.  Unlikely, but still possible.

The Old World: TOW is supposed to get some time in the preview, and we've already seen what is supposed to be the full supported release range for the new Brettonians, which makes it likely that we could finally see some real focus on Tomb Kings - what models will be returning, what we might see new. A Tomb Kings preview isn't as certain as FEC - we might just see some sort of FOMO release box for brettonians for instance, like a 'you've seen the new brett models, now check out the new box you'll be able to buy them in' sort of deal. But still though, going in I'd say the odds are with us here.

40k: the big 40k preview is supposed to be Dark Angels, so big shrug in terms of undead, BUT the new Necron Codex is on the way. We've already seen previews for Imotekh and a new Overlord, and we're not expecting a big range refresh this time around, so that might be it. However, it's entirely possible that there might still be some new Necron stuff yet to show tonight.

Side Games: It's side games, who knows, there's always a chance of something. I've heard some potential FEC underworlds buzz, but it might be just noise.

I think Death will see FEC and the Morghast from the Rumor Engine as the other faction for Dawnbringers 4. 

image.png.a822ad55ea9c8f28dc4b87baf6180d85.png

image.png.e4ef6676f6c158bf2e9367bd640d6134.png

He's HUGE

image.png.c9411693394e0f57eafdc804431794ed.png

It does look like the current plastic range for FEC all remains in place - the new ghouls are a new semi-elite mordant unit, not a replacement for crypt ghouls, and the horrors, flayers, terrorgheist, etc all seem to remain as they are. 

I was kind of hoping some of the older plastics would get retired and replaced, but the current range is anemic enough that I might not complain...

except for basic courtiers. If ghoul, horror, and flayer courtiers are still key hero units but lacking in models I'll be a bit annoyed at that.

New Varghulf, though! It does look to be on a new base size (frustrating to those with existing varghulfs they'll have to rebase). It also seems to have lost its wings, which will be unfortunate for converted varghulfs that took pains to emphasize the wings.

Edited by Sception

AND... that's the show.

Big reveal is obviously the Flesh Eater Courts. I love them, including Ushoran. He's not what I wanted him to be - I wanted a Katakros-style diorama with courtiers gathered around in like a mock procession, not One Big Guy, but for One Big Guy I do actually quite like him I think.

In case anyone is curious, I looked closely at the tattered skeletal wings with bits of flesh on the Morbheg knights, and they do NOT match the recent rumour engine that we've been thinking might be something for OBR:

1700279607545.jpeg.7f1b9201e2c4a2966e1c8c9844ffcdbc.jpeg

I might change my mind when I see it in person, but I'm not overly impressed with the Tomb King bone dragon. The posing seems weird, it looks awkwardly top heavy with the big howda on skinny bones, and I'm not convinced the anatomy works (ever the problem with six-winged dragon designs, and why I tend to prefer four-limbed versions). IMO the old Royal Warsphinx looks a lot better. Again, though, the opinion may change when I see it in person.

I didn't look closely at the whole video, but the one pic I took does confirm returning old models for Tomb Guard (yay) and Skeleton Warriors (boo). I'm glad I have a bunch of the old vamp count skeletons, as they're generic enough to use as tomb kings if you swap out the shields, official gw models so I can play them at the store, and just look a lot better than the old old tomb king skittles.

3 minutes ago, Sception said:

AND... that's the show.

Big reveal is obviously the Flesh Eater Courts. I love them, including Ushoran. He's not what I wanted him to be - I wanted a Katakros-style diorama with courtiers gathered around in like a mock procession, not One Big Guy, but for One Big Guy I do actually quite like him I think.

In case anyone is curious, I looked closely at the tattered skeletal wings with bits of flesh on the Morbheg knights, and they do NOT match the recent rumour engine that we've been thinking might be something for OBR:

1700279607545.jpeg.7f1b9201e2c4a2966e1c8c9844ffcdbc.jpeg

I might change my mind when I see it in person, but I'm not overly impressed with the Tomb King bone dragon. The posing seems weird, it looks awkwardly top heavy with the big howda on skinny bones, and I'm not convinced the anatomy works (ever the problem with six-winged dragon designs, and why I tend to prefer four-limbed versions). IMO the old Royal Warsphinx looks a lot better. Again, though, the opinion may change when I see it in person.

I didn't look closely at the whole video, but the one pic I took does confirm returning old models for Tomb Guard (yay) and Skeleton Warriors (boo). I'm glad I have a bunch of the old vamp count skeletons, as they're generic enough to use as tomb kings if you swap out the shields, official gw models so I can play them at the store, and just look a lot better than the old old tomb king skittles.

That’s literally just a Morghast’s wing from the OBR. They also said that there will be new rules for all Death factions, so either they’ve given up balancing them, or there’s more stuff pending. 

I could very much see myself getting the FOMO box, Cardinal, Judge, and Ushoran for fec.  I've got enough leftover ghoul stuff from oldhammer to round that out into a solid 3k I figure.  Love the look of em.  Mostly fur & skin too, should be quick to paint.

The bone dragon... yeah, I don't think I care for it.  Certainly don't like it as much as the Brett's pegasus hero.  And I won't be getting any big army box of TOW tomb kings, not when most of it will be made up of those old skeletons.  That said, I'll happily replace my old metal tomb guard with the plastic ones once they're available for less than like 200 bucks a box.  And I might pick up some necroknights.  Mostly I'm happy I already have an army's worth of tomb kings, plus enough old vamp count skeletons to not have to use the old plastic skeleton warrior bodies for anything.  I don't envy new TOW undead players collecting the army from scratch with old boxing fist skellies, and resin ushabti and catapults.

I love the look of the new models. Very close to how I imagined the Strigoi in WHFB. Ushoran looks like the hulk and his hunch looks more like he could explode into furious anger rather than hunched over because of being weak (looks fun to paint too). I guess Ushoran has been brought into the fold since he's given the title of Mortarch. I suspect he'll be more a Mannfred style Mortrach though, more directed and manipulated than ordered around. It also seems likely we're going to see new lore and stuff in the new book given the introduction of Ushoran and bunch of new stuff.

Overall, more models than I expected. Now I just hope the book delivers, as in flavour and cool rules. 

20 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I like the new FeC although they’re truly not what I wanted them to be.

To me now they feel like the Goblins of Goblin Town from the Hobbit

Ushoran is too hunched, I would’ve wanted him to have a upright Pose.

I'ma go out and say it.  I don't like ushoran.  I don't know what I envisioned but he's not it.  He feels right out of dark souls/bloodborne.

On 11/18/2023 at 8:55 PM, flying_dutchman said:

I'ma go out and say it.  I don't like ushoran.  I don't know what I envisioned but he's not it.  He feels right out of dark souls/bloodborne.

Being right out of a Fromsoft game is what I love about him, but absolutely fair enough, nothing can appeal to everyone.  I will say he's not what I envisioned or wanted either, and I DO know what I envisioned - a diorama style situation like Katakros or the Sisters of Battle procession, with a whole royal court of attendants around Ushoran who I pictured as big, but not gigantic - again, like Katakros.  But I love the souls game, so a huge gothic boss monster straight out of the Souls was always going to win me over.  And if you think about it, the heavy themes of faded and tarnished nobility that run through Souls Games and heavily influence their art design is a good fit for FEC's narrative in AoS.

But again, I absolutely understand not caring for it.  Thankfully the undead factions are varied enough at this point that most necromancy fans should be able to find one that appeals.  Personally my favorite remains the 80s cartoon toyetic goofiness of the Bonereapers.  One day they'll get their second wave, and I'll be all over it.

Edited by Sception

10 hours ago, Sception said:

a diorama style situation like Katakros

Katakros is a fantastic piece even if it's not my cup of tea but I find the diaroma aspect silly. If for simply gameplay sake I'd of preferred each model just have its own base and counted as a unit. 

This release has presented a very tempting feeling to start a new army though. 

I think I'd of preferred actual horses instead of those bats for calvary. Imagine what those horses would look like if somehow infected with the same madness. 

the more I look at that Bone Dragon the more disappointed I am that it's not a giant undead crocodile... The head even looks like one!! I got so excited, then the wings get showed and it gets named as a Bone Dragon. Just... why... TK have giant scorpions, giant jackal-humanoids, the sphinx-type monster, and a bunch of other Egyptian mythology. WHY is it a dragon and not a crocodile??