Ghouls As Alliance Battleline

ElectricPaladin

11 hours ago, WSDdeloach said:

You could still run a gasht with them.. It's all they really need. They're the best battle line death has IMO

Haven't used them yet myself, but I thought the consensus was that Zombies were our best battleline choice, due to their ability to merge and ease of resurrecting and summoning them?

29 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Haven't used them yet myself, but I thought the consensus was that Zombies were our best battleline choice, due to their ability to merge and ease of resurrecting and summoning them?

Skeletons are the easiest to support. They can regrow their own units and are buffed by the proximity of any Death hero. By contrast, zombies want to be near a corpse cart for full effect, the same way ghouls want to be near a ghast and a king.

1 hour ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Skeletons are the easiest to support. They can regrow their own units and are buffed by the proximity of any Death hero. By contrast, zombies want to be near a corpse cart for full effect, the same way ghouls want to be near a ghast and a king.

Gotcha!  Thanks.  Glad I'm building Deathrattle. ;)

10 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

What's so great about them? Just that they're good in very large numbers?

I use usually 2 units of 20 models. They can be left there without caring. They heal by themselves and they heat quite good. And in case someone not mass specialized killer try to approach them they submerge them in sumbers. 

Moreover cause the ability to merge...they are simply crazy. I can form a unit of 40 so hitting and wouunding on 3+. Even without other bonuse they are able to hit on two lines so with a bit of numbers. Buttleshocks are difficult to make them care if 40.

Moreover if you need you can always prepare yourself to summon some zobmie to fuse in the unit yet present so reinforcing their abilities.

Zombies can really bully even big monsters, everyone not mass killer is simply food for the zombies.

On 9/29/2016 at 5:59 PM, deynon said:

I use usually 2 units of 20 models. They can be left there without caring. They heal by themselves and they heat quite good. And in case someone not mass specialized killer try to approach them they submerge them in sumbers. 

Moreover cause the ability to merge...they are simply crazy. I can form a unit of 40 so hitting and wouunding on 3+. Even without other bonuse they are able to hit on two lines so with a bit of numbers. Buttleshocks are difficult to make them care if 40.

Moreover if you need you can always prepare yourself to summon some zobmie to fuse in the unit yet present so reinforcing their abilities.

Zombies can really bully even big monsters, everyone not mass killer is simply food for the zombies.

I was under the impression that you could not merge zombie units to yield a unit larger than either of the original ones in matched play scenarios.  In other words, the way I understood it, is that taking two 20 model units and making a 40 model unit is a no-no, but merging two 20 model units that only have 10 models remaining each would be fine (since the end result is a single 20 model unit).  I could be misunderstanding the ability though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing this way to. If you start with 2x 20. Each units starting number is 20. They can't go past that. If they merge the NEW starting number is 40 and can't go past that. If I summon another 10 next to the 40 and merge them, the NEW starting number is 50. Theoretically you could have 100 zombies in one unit. They can't go past the "new" starting number with abilities like the banner regen or the "newly dead" ability (create zombies on 6 when a model is slain.)

Merging is unique ability that, I feel, is different then the starting unit number rule. And that's what makes zombies have so much potential for damage output. 

Isn't there a limit on max 60 wounds per unit in Matched Play, or have I gotten it wrong? Not in a position to look it up right now.

Either way, I agree that you can merge units to above their starting size. I personally prefer Skeletons and Skeleton Horsemen for my battleline though, due to the synergy bonuses they receive in my army and the multitude of tasks that they can perform.

25 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I have been playing this way to. If you start with 2x 20. Each units starting number is 20. They can't go past that. If they merge the NEW starting number is 40 and can't go past that. If I summon another 10 next to the 40 and merge them, the NEW starting number is 50. Theoretically you could have 100 zombies in one unit. They can't go past the "new" starting number with abilities like the banner regen or the "newly dead" ability (create zombies on 6 when a model is slain.)

Merging is unique ability that, I feel, is different then the starting unit number rule. And that's what makes zombies have so much potential for damage output. 

I would agree with you up to the 60 limit that is the max unit size in the generals handbook - I wouldn't have thought zombies could go above that, because that is the max unit size, not the starting unit size.

There is some stuff in death though that could do with an faq

Anyway i'm used to find 40 zombies unkillable, 60 it's an awesome number, I can't imagine (no, I can, but it's a dead meat storm^^) more than 60.

I think taht it's interesting the way, but even if it would be limit 60 (as for now I'm more inclined too) don't find it excessive limiting.

Obviously to find the best way is always prefereble. Till now anyway I think only a FAQ could answer definitely

20 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I would agree with you up to the 60 limit that is the max unit size in the generals handbook - I wouldn't have thought zombies could go above that, because that is the max unit size, not the starting unit size.

There is some stuff in death though that could do with an faq

That is an excellent point. I didnt even know this was a thing! 

No, Zombie units definitely can't go over 60 bodies strong. Being a TK player primarily, I prefer Skeletons and Skeleton Horsemen as my battleline. A large unit of Skeletons with spears within 18" of Settra have 3 attacks each, fight in 3 ranks, and hit and wound on 3+. Even without any support, they already dish out a large amount of damage, but they also scale really well with the buffs from Tomb Kings, Royal Warsphinxes, Necrotects, Liche Priests and Necromancers. Very nice battleline option! As for the Horsemen, they really aren't too hot in terms of damage, but when it comes to screening my workhorse units by soaking charges and delaying the opponent, capping objectives and hunting lone characters they really shine. They are also surprisingly durable.

Archived