AoS 3.0 - Gloomspite GItz Discussion

Nezzhil

Fellwaters are great, but Rockguts are the more reliable choice. People are just forcing the unleash hell with trash unit charges and then coming in hard with their elite units. I’ve seen the fellwaters just vomit a Trash Unit off of the table only to be butchered themselves by an elite unit. 

• Thanks 1

I think Fellwaters are a good choice for the 5+ ward buff from the Snufflers. The added +1 attack makes them more dangerous to charge into. The regen and -1 to hit added could make this unit hold an objective for a while. 

Could also try the Gobbapalooza for the -1 to hit spell and the +1 rend ability.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, I think you want to combo the fellwaters with snufflers to get the most out of them.

I finally managed to get a game in with the new book, I played a grimscuttle spiderfang list but brought along a unit of 30 hoppers and a squigboss too. It was against stomper tribe. The game went very badly for me. T1 I managed to box in his entire army using the 30 squig hoppers with a snuffler buff and scuttletide, the hoppers survived 2 combats and retreated on t2 so I could rally them. After that I failed a 6-7" charge on my scuttleboss, with a reroll, a 7" charge with my spider riders, and a 3" charge with my webspinner on arachnarok and got absolutely clobbered in return.

Spiders definitely still feel weak to me, but gargants are a bad matchup for them too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fabbbio said:

Ok, so the rockguts go best with the sporesplatta and the sloggoth maybe, and the fellwaters with the snifflers and gobbapalooza. What i get Is that It makes more sense to focus on One of them instead of mixing them in a list 🤔

IMO rockguts function better with little to no support, but fellwaters thrive either with support or supporting other units.
If you need a low investment unit to go do something like threaten a side objective or take a lightly contested objective,  rockguts are good.
If you want a big deathstar that you're gonna buff up fellwaters are good. Fellwaters can also pair with other units, like rockguts, to unleash hell over the top.

There's definitely room for both, because you won't have the points to have a buff unit for every unit of troggs.

I don't have enough experience with the book yet, but I think the OPness is pretty overstated, we'll see it in even results as time goes on, but a few point changes is probably all that needs to be done to get things in line. specifically squigs could go up 10-20 points. Maybe Skragrott too, but I think that might be an internal balance issue, and not an external one.

Big nerf of the squig herds but we all expected it. They were the strongest unit in the game. Now they're "only" good.

Losing one squig and dealing around 20-25MW distributed as you want to units within 9" was preeetty strong for 360 points.

Edited by spenson

26 minutes ago, spenson said:

Big nerf of the squig herds but we all expected it. They were the strongest unit in the game. Now they're "only" good.

Losing one squig and dealing around 20-25MW distributed as you want to units within 9" was preeetty strong for 360 points.

This was never intended imo so i dont see it as a nerf to be honest. All knew gw would faq this first chance.

2 hours ago, Jmason said:

I was hoping to see the hag, giant cave squig, and squig gobba addressed. They are selections in the Stormforge feature in the app but it’s unclear if they are still “legal” choices for match play?

They're still legal, but they're probably just going to say absolutely nothing for 4 months, then stealth remove it from the ghb/app when the ghb releases.

The bonegrinder Mega Gargant is still waiting on an update because it doesn't have a mightiest makes rightiest table, so it only counts as 5 models on an objective.

• Thanks 1

I'm happy to report that last weekend, my team and I placed 3rd at a German Team GTC with 114 players! In individual rankings I placed 6th and in faction rankings I placed 1st for Gitz. 

My list:

Spoiler

- Army Faction: Gloomspite Gitz
     - Subfaction: King’s Gitz
LEADERS
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
     - General
     - Command Traits: The Clammy Hand
     - Artefacts of Power: Moonface Mommet
     - Spells: Itchy Nuisance
Skragrott, the Loonking (160)
Squigboss (80)
Dankhold Troggboss (200) w/ Glowy Howzit
BATTLELINE
Moonclan Stabbas (250)
Squig Herd (240)
Boingrot Bounderz (280)

OTHER
Gobbapalooza (145)
Sporesplatta Fanatics (90)
Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Quicksilver Swords
TERRAIN
1 x Bad Moon Loonshrine (0)
TOTAL POINTS: 1915/2000

My thoughts on the list and the units:

Deployment
I would always set up in a way that my Stabbas were ww/ 12" of the Shrine, preferably near the board center. My Trolls + Troggboss would deploy on a flank as a group. Sporesplattas behind them for +1 attack and behind those I put Skragrott for that sweet 3+ save on my Trolls. I deployed my Squig Herd + Squigboss as far forward as possible and right across from my opponents biggest threat. The Boingrots I deployed wherever I felt I needed either more pressure or to grab objectives or as a counter-charge unit in case my opponent got a double turn. Gobbapalooza was deployed to spread their 12" bubble of goodness to as many units as possible. Often near the trolls to give the Troggboss +1 to hits/wounds.

Skragrott
Geez luise, he's great! Very strong in the GC season since he can snipe heroes with his warscroll spell. Him knowing the whole spell lore is also very nice since he can cast Itchy Nuisance if needed etc. Depending on the state of the game I would either roll for the moon (if I was fine with flopping the roll and it not moving) or if it was critical I would use Skragi to move the moon in the middle. 

Troggboss
Initially I thought he probably wouldn't do much and just be there as a buff guy for my Rockguts. But he turned out to be the MVP of almost every match! I threw finest hour on him and cast Mystic Shield on the Rockguts so both were on a 2+ save under the moon. With his 4+ ward he was just ABSURDLY tanky. Along with the bonus attacks and buffs from the Palooza he dealt like 23 damage to a unit of Hearthguard in a single combat, lol. Another MAJOR strength was his unique heroic action, allowing me to move him into other units to block charges or prevent rallying. 

Fungoid Cave Shaman
Another solid choice. Sadly no tunnel-master on him since we weren't allowed to duplicate those traits within our team. Otherwise I would have gotten a lot more use out of his Moonface Mommet. Still, he was really useful as a general since he couldn't be shot >12" and he reliably recycled 1-2 units in each of my turns.

Squigboss
He buffed the Squig Herd with MWs on 6s and launched them forward. Afterwards he grabbed objectives or ran back towards the shrine so that when my recycled squig units pop out he can buff one of them again.

Gobbapalooza
The swiss army knife of the army! My opponents HATED having -1 to hit in almost every combat, lol. Sometimes they were even close enough to cast the hypnotise spell on an enemy, which was really neat. Overall with them not gaining unique in the FAQ (wtf GW?!) I could honestly recomment taking two units of them.

Stabbas
Did what's written on the tin. Holding objectives w/ 9" is just *chefs kiss*. They were very useful as a screen and for board control. They do pretty much 0 damage without a Loonboss but who cares?

Squig Herd
Yeah, I don't know what GW was thinking. These guys are a cruise missile. Buff em up with the Squigboss (and maybe Palooza), launch them up the field, run them under the moon and they EASILY got like 20" moves/charges across the table. I often took turn 1 just to buff them and ram them down my opponents throat. They always killed whatever unit they got into and I made sure that they tagged enough enemy units to suffer damage so that the rest of them will flee and kill characters etc. That allowed me to delete a unit turn 1 and bring half of them back at the end of my turn. 

Boingrot Bounderz
Another really strong hammer unit. If the Squigboss didn't buff the Squig Herd, he buffed these guys. Under the moon they are blindingly fast (give 'em an auto-run) and very useful to snipe heroes with their impact hits, then pile in and delete whatever other unit was around. 

Rockgut Troggoths
My anvil boys! Together with their Troggboss they absorbed charges like no tomorrow and in turn dished out the hurt. 

Sporesplattas
Buffed my Trolls and sometimes screened a bit. Solid for their points.

Edited by Causalis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Causalis said:

I'm happy to report that last weekend, my team and I placed 3rd at a German Team GTC with 114 players! In individual rankings I placed 6th and in faction rankings I placed 1st for Gitz. 

My list:

Reveal hidden contents

LEADERS
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
     - General
Squigboss (80)
BATTLELINE
Moonclan Stabbas (250)
Squig Herd (240)
Boingrot Bounderz (280)

OTHER
Gobbapalooza (145)
Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Quicksilver Swords
TERRAIN

My thoughts on the list and the units:

Deployment
I would always set up in a way that my Stabbas were ww/ 12" of the Shrine, preferably near the board center. My Trolls + Troggboss would deploy on a flank as a group. Sporesplattas behind them for +1 attack and behind those I put Skragrott for that sweet 3+ save on my Trolls. I deployed my Squig Herd + Squigboss as far forward as possible and right across from my opponents biggest threat. The Boingrots I deployed wherever I felt I needed either more pressure or to grab objectives or as a counter-charge unit in case my opponent got a double turn. Gobbapalooza was deployed to spread their 12" bubble of goodness to as many units as possible. Often near the trolls to give the Troggboss +1 to hits/wounds.

Skragrott
Geez luise, he's great! Very strong in the GC season since he can snipe heroes with his warscroll spell. Him knowing the whole spell lore is also very nice since he can cast Itchy Nuisance if needed etc. Depending on the state of the game I would either roll for the moon (if I was fine with flopping the roll and it not moving) or if it was critical I would use Skragi to move the moon in the middle. 

Troggboss
Initially I thought he probably wouldn't do much and just be there as a buff guy for my Rockguts. But he turned out to be the MVP of almost every match! I threw finest hour on him and cast Mystic Shield on the Rockguts so both were on a 2+ save under the moon. With his 4+ ward he was just ABSURDLY tanky. Along with the bonus attacks and buffs from the Palooza he dealt like 23 damage to a unit of Hearthguard in a single combat, lol. Another MAJOR strength was his unique heroic action, allowing me to move him into other units to block charges or prevent rallying. 

Fungoid Cave Shaman
Another solid choice. Sadly no tunnel-master on him since we weren't allowed to duplicate those traits within our team. Otherwise I would have gotten a lot more use out of his Moonface Mommet. Still, he was really useful as a general since he couldn't be shot >12" and he reliably recycled 1-2 units in each of my turns.

Squigboss
He buffed the Squig Herd with MWs on 6s and launched them forward. Afterwards he grabbed objectives or ran back towards the shrine so that when my recycled squig units pop out he can buff one of them again.

Gobbapalooza
The swiss army knife of the army! My opponents HATED having -1 to hit in almost every combat, lol. Sometimes they were even close enough to cast the hypnotise spell on an enemy, which was really neat. Overall with them not gaining unique in the FAQ (wtf GW?!) I could honestly recomment taking two units of them.

Stabbas
Did what's written on the tin. Holding objectives w/ 9" is just *chefs kiss*. They were very useful as a screen and for board control. They do pretty much 0 damage without a Loonboss but who cares?

Squig Herd
Yeah, I don't know what GW was thinking. These guys are a cruise missile. Buff em up with the Squigboss (and maybe Palooza), launch them up the field, run them under the moon and they EASILY got like 20" moves/charges across the table. I often took turn 1 just to buff them and ram them down my opponents throat. They always killed whatever unit they got into and I made sure that they tagged enough enemy units to suffer damage so that the rest of them will flee and kill characters etc. That allowed me to delete a unit turn 1 and bring half of them back at the end of my turn. 

Boingrot Bounderz
Another really strong hammer unit. If the Squigboss didn't buff the Squig Herd, he buffed these guys. Under the moon they are blindingly fast (give 'em an auto-run) and very useful to snipe heroes with their impact hits, then pile in and delete whatever other unit was around. 

Rockgut Troggoths
My anvil boys! Together with their Troggboss they absorbed charges like no tomorrow and in turn dished out the hurt. 

Sporesplattas
Buffed my Trolls and sometimes screened a bit. Solid for their points.

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what u would change in this list next time? Also noticed the 85 points leftover. Any reason u didnt ally in some hobgrots or something else?

3 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering what u would change in this list next time? Also noticed the 85 points leftover. Any reason u didnt ally in some hobgrots or something else?

My main reason was that I really wanted to make sure that I get my triumph. That these are pretty much all the units I own. In the future I would either replace the swords with Chronomantic Cogs or drop the endless spell to get another unit in. Maybe a second Gobbapalooza or another Squig Herd etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2023 at 1:30 PM, Causalis said:

My list:

Hide contents

LEADERS
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
     - General
Squigboss (80)
BATTLELINE
Moonclan Stabbas (250)
Squig Herd (240)
Boingrot Bounderz (280)

OTHER
Gobbapalooza (145)
Rockgut Troggoths (320)

Quicksilver Swords
TERRAIN

I feel like double reinforced squig herds looks better on paper? What's your thoughts on 24 vs 36 unit? 

9 hours ago, Smash said:

I feel like double reinforced squig herds looks better on paper? What's your thoughts on 24 vs 36 unit? 

Im not sure actually. Obviously 36 squigs attacking will hurt more than 24. But in my experience 24 are more than enough to kill any unit and I almost never managed to get all of them into range to attack so I fear that 36 will yield deminishing returns. I also want my Squig Herd to die on my turn so that I can bring it back immediately and 36 Squigs will have so many wounds that a good chunk may be left standing. Those will then continue to harass the enemy no doubt but I don't know how much actual damage they will push without their buffs. 

As a suicide missile I can whole heartedly recommend 24. If you have enough reinforcements left in your list feel free to go for 36! But I feel for most purposes, 24 will be plenty.

• Thanks 1

The Loonshrine has now been out of stock for the past 6 months in the United States. Honestly, this is ridiculous! People can’t even complete their armies because of GW’s pathetic and deplorable restocking abilities. They  currently have 14 items in the Gloomspite product line that are out of stock. They released the new battletome for Gitz with the most important model out of stock. Seriously, this nonsense needs to stop. Get it together, GW!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've played the army five times, training against other teammates for a big tournament and I'm expecting a lot of nerfs in the battlescroll next month.

The list I was playing:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
- Gittish Horde: Jaws of Mork
- Grand Strategy: Chasing the Moon
- Triumphs: Indomitable

LEADERS
Squigboss with Gnasha-squig (80)*
- General
- Command Trait: The Clammy Hand
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
- Aspect of the Champion: Fuelled by Ghurish Rage
Skragrott, The Loonking (160)*
- Lore of the Moonclans: Nikkit!Nikkit!
Squigboss with Gnasha-squig (80)**
Webspinner Shaman (65)**
- Lore of the Spiderfang: Sneaky Distraction

UNITS
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (280)*
24 x Squig Herd (240)*
24 x Squig Herd (240)**
24 x Squig Herd (240)**
20 x Moonclan Stabbas (125)*
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (110)**

BEHEMOTHS
Mangler Squigs (260)**

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
Scuttletide (85)

CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
**Battle Regiment

TOTAL: 1965/2000 WOUNDS: 228
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 1/3 ALLIES: 0/400
REINFORCED UNITS: 4/4 DROPS: 2

The army is very fun to play but it's just way too powerful as it is right now.

Next week we'll try the army against SoB, it could be an ok counter to the army. We thought LRL could do good with Crippling Vertigo + Darkness of the Soul as it makes 2 units basically unable to move at all but even that wasn't enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

After much much deliberation, looks like I'm starting a gitz army... Is there a fun troggoth list kicking around yet? Gonna have that be my starting point. Cheers! 

It really depends on which type of trog list you’re interested in. Both types of troggs are fun to play. 

8 hours ago, W1tchhunter said:

After much much deliberation, looks like I'm starting a gitz army... Is there a fun troggoth list kicking around yet? Gonna have that be my starting point. Cheers! 

If you’re going to play the fellwater Troggoths, take sneaky shufflers to give you a ward save. 

Is there not a functional list that features all the troggoths 😛 like how would this fair?

- Subfaction: Glogg's Megamob
     - Grand Strategy: Chasing the Moon
     - Triumph: Indomitable
LEADERS
Dankhold Troggboss (200)
     - Artefacts of Power: Speaky-skull Fetish
Dankhold Troggboss (200)*
     - General
     - Command Traits: Loonskin
     - Artefacts of Power: Glowy Howzit
Dankhold Troggboss (200)**