Applying wounds to Ardboyz

Mount Franklin

The rule is fairly straight forward and luckily worded clearly enough on the warscroll. (my Kairic Acolytes had a similar loadout with a few shields amongst the unit when this came up). 

You choose who suffers the wound as normal.  If you choose one of the boyz with shield you make the 6+ save roll.  If you choose one of the others, you don't.   The real question here is, are there specific situations where strategy would dictate NOT trying out your shield saves for the early casualties and instead leaving them alive until later?  (because to me, I would always be killing off the shields first, leaving the hitty guys to fight back)

I have a unit of 10 full decked out with shields. This allows me to swap out any double handed orruks or choppa orruks when I game. Also it allows me to run a very tanky build. Win win in my books! Oh yea, I live wysiwyg armies hence I build towards it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 9/24/2016 at 5:06 PM, BrAiKo said:

The rule is fairly straight forward and luckily worded clearly enough on the warscroll. (my Kairic Acolytes had a similar loadout with a few shields amongst the unit when this came up). 

You choose who suffers the wound as normal.  If you choose one of the boyz with shield you make the 6+ save roll.  If you choose one of the others, you don't.   The real question here is, are there specific situations where strategy would dictate NOT trying out your shield saves for the early casualties and instead leaving them alive until later?  (because to me, I would always be killing off the shields first, leaving the hitty guys to fight back)

Mortal wounds....  Your shield wont save them so whats the point in trying, more so if say 2 mortal wounds and they are 2 wounds a piece if its just 1 mortal wound and they are 2 wounds a piece still worth doing it on a dude with a shield in case he saves the second.  

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Yeh you just choose who takes the damage and roll for the shield if they have one.

I'm definitely building my next unit of Ardboyz all with shields. I have enough punch in my Brutes that I feel I can utilise Ardboyz in a different, more defensive role.

Same here. I will probably add 2 great weapons though.

6 hours ago, Anaticula said:

A question about your experience: I have not been playing Ardboyz with shields yet. I was determined to give them shields but now I realized it just gives them another 6+ save. That is imho not so great. Is it really worth it to miss out the attacks?

Typically you'll have 3-5 models in a 10 man unit that are in the back rank and do not reach combat before they die.  Make these your shield guys.  Then you are not missing any attacks and may save a wound or two, increasing tankiness of the unit.

Depends on the situation.  Sometimes you'll be able to surround a unit of skellies with crypt shields completely and the rend will wreck them.  Set yourself up for the situation by utilizing the weapon loadout.  

I haven't done match play tournaments, but if the tournament doesn't require you to write weapon loadouts when you submit your lists that makes the ardboys very good at 180 points as you can kit them out as you place them on the board in reaction to how the enemy is deploying.  If you do have to list the weapon loadouts for each unit, it's probably best to take 3 shields in each unit.

Three shields is statistically one wound saved. I've rarely gotten all 10 of my ardboys into combat, so it's certainly worth fielding that in a unit of 10 - maybe five to seven in 20 without and detriment to damage output. 

Just as long as you're good at keeping them in formation, and they don't get ambushed.

While we're here, I have a question about drummers and standards. I could not find an answer in an FAQ. 

Is it played as WYSIWYG, meaning drummers can't attack and standards swing with one weapon, or do the models get the same weapon load out (my buddies tell me this is how it was in WHFB, but I did not play and do not know) as the other models in the unit?

If they are armed and attack like the rest of the unit, how would this work for ardboys in particular?  

While we're here, I have a question about drummers and standards. I could not find an answer in an FAQ. 

Is it played as WYSIWYG, meaning drummers can't attack and standards swing with one weapon, or do the models get the same weapon load out (my buddies tell me this is how it was in WHFB, but I did not play and do not know) as the other models in the unit?

If they are armed and attack like the rest of the unit, how would this work for ardboys in particular?  

Archived