Ben's Flesh-Eater Courts

Ben Johnson

Hi all,

A while back I painted up some Realm of Death terrain as a break from painting Stormcast and ever since then I've wanted an army to fight over it. 

So over the last five weeks I've been painting up a small Flesh-Eater Courts army with the idea to take it to Facehammer, I'm still painting the display board for them it the army if all finished after a took a few bit son holiday with me for some #caravanpainting.

First up where the Ghoul's I knew I'd need lots of these so I plugged away at 60 before starting anything else! They sent me a little mad I have to admit but happy I'll never have to build another Ghoul as long as I live!

After that the rest was easy. 

The bases have been real good fun to do using the Shattered Dominion sets, great bases and a neat quick paint job have made the army look better that the sum of its parts. 

On to some photos.

image.jpeg

Base coat on the first Ghoul 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Painting bases on the sprue is so easy and they look great.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is one display that would have me argue for a medal most likely. I would play around with the arrangements of your centerpiece (Nagash) if you're competing for armies on parade. I've judged army competitions where the set of judges and I gave away the gold to another competitor due to his phenomenal display composition.

Man, this thread is the most exciting one on the forum for me right now.

What's your next move?

• 8 months later...

I'm probably late to the game but, I'm intrigued about your FEC bases, would you mind sharing some info about them?

I noticed you didn't appear to Prime the bases, is it that they don't need it?

The red "gravel" appears to be basically just a texture material that you've glued to the base, and it appears as though you're using bones from the Ghoul kit on the bases as well?

What are the tan colored splotches early in the process? (Is that Tau Sept Ochre?) and what is the painting reason behind them?

Once you put on the wild rider red areas and the nilakh oxide areas, are you then just doing a drybrush of the mechanicus followed by drybrushing of dawnstone and praxeti?

I see where you are using the Agrax earth shade on the metallic area, was the metallic put down prior to the mechanicus and dawnstone drybrushing?

And I'm not seeing where you're using the blue glaze on the large bases.

Thanks for sharing, the painting is pretty inspirational ... [emoji4]

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, Ben Johnson said:

Hi all,

A while back I painted up some Realm of Death terrain as a break from painting Stormcast and ever since then I've wanted an army to fight over it. 

So over the last five weeks I've been painting up a small Flesh-Eater Courts army with the idea to take it to Facehammer, I'm still painting the display board for them it the army if all finished after a took a few bit son holiday with me for some #caravanpainting.

First up where the Ghoul's I knew I'd need lots of these so I plugged away at 60 before starting anything else! They sent me a little mad I have to admit but happy I'll never have to build another Ghoul as long as I live!

After that the rest was easy. 

The bases have been real good fun to do using the Shattered Dominion sets, great bases and a neat quick paint job have made the army look better that the sum of its parts. 

On to some photos.

image.jpeg

Base coat on the first Ghoul 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Painting bases on the sprue is so easy and they look great.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I know I'm a bit late to the blog, but absolutely loving your bases, definitely going to be using the shattered Dominion bases for my DoK army!

Archived