Skaven Clan/Color Choices

Avindskjold

Pick a Clan!  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a Clan!

• Clan Rictus
    • Clan Mors
    • Clan Vrrtkin (Skryre by extension)

I abandoned the original idea of playing Bloodbound to collect Skaven, as opening up their Uniforms & Heraldry book again kindled something nefarious deep inside of me... Of course, I'll still paint up my starter set Bloodbound and admire the minis. I've got 80 clanrats on the way, plus a few weapon teams and a warlock. They're going to keep me busy for quite a while, but so will deciding on a color scheme! 

I have a few clans in mind that I like the look and fluff of. Since my list is geared toward Verminus and Skryre, I could do with the majority of Warlord Clans and be fine. I'm not sure how many others are familiar with the book and the many clans it showcases, so I'll leave some examples here. I thought it' be fun to make a poll, although how much influence it has on my decision, I can't say for sure. ;)

Clan Rictus: An immensely wealthy Warlord clan, thanks to a large supply of Night Goblin slaves. They rival Mors in terms of wealth and both continually seek ways to outdo one-another. Their Warlord sits on the fifth seat of the Council of Thirteen. They are known for their black-furred Stormvermin, grim, violent and the cream of the crop of Skavendom. They favor black garb and armor, with white banners.

Clan Mors: Essentially the strongest of the Warlord clans; their Warlord holds the second seat on the Council of Thirteen. They flaunt better quality equipment than other clans, owing their prestige to taking the Dwarf stronghold of Karak Eight Peaks. They favor red in their heraldry and garb. They frequently use Skaven of lesser clans to do their dirty work, and employ beasts of Moulder and weapons of Skryre.

Clan Vrrtkin: A Thrall clan of Skryre since the Second Great Civil War. They specialize in exterminating rival clans, which they go about with Poisoned Wind Globardiers and Weapon Teams. As a result, their banners frequently depict green poison globes and warpfire on white fields, and they dress in green. Due to their obsession with poison globes, every Skaven in Vrrtkin treasures gas masks; these are in short supply and always go to the Warlords and Stormvermin first. Clanrats have to make do with broken remnants and bandages. The Warlord of Clan Skryre sits at the twelfth seat on the Council of Thirteen - the third most powerful, if one considers the Great Horned Rat on the Thirteenth. As thralls - extensions of the great clan, Vrrtkin have a lofty place on the totem pole.

So there's my conundrum: choosing between three powerful, characterful clans with very different looks. I also like the Eshin thralls, although none of my lists have any Eshin keyword units! 

Three very striking looks that should look great on the battlefield. If you plan on running them alongside your bloodbound while you build the force up go for Clan Mors, otherwise... have a think about which colours you're most excited about painting on a couple of hundred uniforms?

P.S.

Spoiler

All these clans are dead!

Just now, Double Misfire said:

P.S.

Reveal hidden contents

All these clans are dead!

No! I want to believe! :(

I have to say, I've only seen one other Vrrtkin army on the net. A few Rictus and Mors armies; their colors are a bit more generic and showcasey by comparison. A tide of green would sure look cool.

7 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

A Clan Skurvy force mounted on flying vessels that sail between the realms would be too cool for school.

Uh, that's exactly what I was planning...everything converted, not a model left untouched!

• 1 year later...
On 9/20/2016 at 2:35 PM, Double Misfire said:

Noice. I've noticed a small trend of pirate armies in AoS, and should really bust out my Long Drong.

Long drong feature as my Arkhanauts allies for my dispossessed. Just need to do the frigate for an even 400 points of allies. ?

i say go for, what you find, is the most striking colour scheme! I would go one of the verminus clans as that would allow me the whole range and to be fair I always like an underdog! So you know what I voted ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I voted Clan Vrrtkin. I'm biased because my own skaven army has a green/white color scheme.

I had a crush on an army with similar colors seen in Warhammer Vision #13

Ae3n12ZGAl4Z8.jpg

This issue also has a clan skurvy at on display:

avEhJCYP88jI.jpg

I also went and checked the clan vrrtkin army you mention you found on the internet and, wow... Now I want to redo my whole army again :D

Happy painting

Archived