The State of the Game

37 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I'm not sure you should be so quick to make that correlation. As someone who enjoys the lore more than playing, I am fine with listening to rules because the speaker gives their own input while doing so; watching a rules video is a two-for-one special of hearing all the changes plus hearing input on how it might affect my army or how others play against me. It saves me the trouble of having to read through technical articles I won't enjoy.

But for lore? Most of the time I want to read that myself. It's fun to listen to 2+ Tough go over it, but if I'm on a lore-kick I'm reading everything I possibly can, not watching videos of it.

So the aspect of how people want to engage with which part of the hobby is also context. For example, I imagine most people are watching videos for painting, not reading articles, because of how much easier it is to grasp the concepts in a real-time medium versus static images.

You got to realize though that 2+tough is the exception and does a niche for the AoS community. 40K YouTube have a better time doing lore videos since it a bigger audience then AoS.

My thinking is with Josh Reynold and his AoS work and the somewhat lack of success in Black library. Other have said that generally only novel with Space marines do well and it harder for other stuff. It quite possibly that despite the community praising narrative and lore stuff, it doesn’t reflect on the sales. This is quite common now in the age of vocal social media. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, novakai said:

You got to realize though that 2+tough is the exception and does a niche for the AoS community. 40K YouTube have a better time doing lore videos since it a bigger audience then AoS.

My thinking is with Josh Reynold and his AoS work and the somewhat lack of success in Black library. Other have said that generally only novel with Space marines do well and it harder for other stuff. It quite possibly that despite the community praising narrative and lore stuff, it doesn’t reflect on the sales. This is quite common now in the age of vocal social media. 

I’m pretty certain that writing about the skaven or a story of the skaven, could be very successful.

so dear josh reynolds, this what the people want, not some space marines in aos 

Josh left working for BL to work on other projects. It's also clear that BL has an author issue because many of their big writers are trapped with long running series or strong established 40K works and no one has stepped into the boots Josh left. He "got" the AoS setting really well and he produced a lot of work. Heck looking at the upcoming books you can see AoS is suffering and it seems to be the only thing selling is Gotrek and the odd release tie-in book. Otherwise there really aren't any long running series or stuff being made for AoS like there is for 40K. 

There's a lot of newer authors doing short stories, but not as much for AoS. Heck the last 3 or so "Black Library Days" have hardly had more than a handful of AoS books appear at them, if any (I think at least one of them had nothing). 

AoS needs GW central to invest in BL to establish strong writers (and new ones of course) writing series again. 

Of course if you want fantasy BL is still doing collected editions of Old World stories and has done really well at collecting them together into single publications/ebooks. Though there's still, at the speed they are going, around 2 years worth of them to come. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I’m pretty certain that writing about the skaven or a story of the skaven, could be very successful.

so dear josh reynolds, this what the people want, not some space marines in aos 

You know he left Black Library right?