Stormbringer - Age of Sigmar partworks from Hachette info thread

EonChao

I would be hoping for a fourth one, if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world but it makes it easier to collect an army. Still I've got good sized Stormcast, Nighthaunt, Orruks and Gloomspite from Mortal Realms and Stormbringer, (plus a few extra little starting points for Sylvaneth, Blades of Khorne, FEC and Kharadon) and that'll keep me plenty happy if I don't get any more good discounts.

That said I skipped Imperium due to the Imperial side not grabbing my attention so I'll be interested to see what this new one holds (I like Tyranids a lot more than most 40k factions)

46 minutes ago, EonChao said:

I would be hoping for a fourth one, if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world but it makes it easier to collect an army. Still I've got good sized Stormcast, Nighthaunt, Orruks and Gloomspite from Mortal Realms and Stormbringer, (plus a few extra little starting points for Sylvaneth, Blades of Khorne, FEC and Kharadon) and that'll keep me plenty happy if I don't get any more good discounts.

That said I skipped Imperium due to the Imperial side not grabbing my attention so I'll be interested to see what this new one holds (I like Tyranids a lot more than most 40k factions)

I assume the "good guys" faction is always Space Marines? Or do they throw in some other Imps, kind of like the Sylvaneth and Kharadron with Stormbringer?

7 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I assume the "good guys" faction is always Space Marines? Or do they throw in some other Imps, kind of like the Sylvaneth and Kharadron with Stormbringer?

Imperium was a mix of Space Marines, Ad Mech and Sisters of Battle. The Ad Mech stuff included my least favourite models in the range, the Sisters stuff is just the combat patrol/launch box sprues. Couple that with some of the Marine stuff being things I didn't want more of (Assault Intercessors and Outriders), plus no terrain that interested me, I just picked up a few single issues.

If the new one is a mix of Tyranids and Genestealer Cults, plus something more interesting on the Imperium side added to the Space Marines, then I'd probably bite the bullet and subscribe again.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Conquest was a SM vs Death Guard. Mortal Realms SCE vs NH. Then we shifted into a bit of mixed armies. Imperium SM, Sororitas and Mechanicus vs Necron. Stormbringer has a mix on both sides, so I expect this trend to continue.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Conquest was a SM vs Death Guard. Mortal Realms SCE vs NH. Then we shifted into a bit of mixed armies. Imperium SM, Sororitas and Mechanicus vs Necron. Stormbringer has a mix on both sides, so I expect this trend to continue.

Yeah Necrons didn't really have anything to be paired with, but Tyranids... well Genestealer Cults are a faction comprised of lots of clampack heroes that are perfect to go in individual issues. And Tyranids are kind of better set out for this than Orruks were too.

• Like 1

Fauxhammer have an article out about the next magazine, Warhammer 40,000 Combat Patrol.

https://www.fauxhammer.com/news/warhammer-40000-combat-patrol-announcement/

Looks like 9 Combat Patrols (Space Marines, Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines, Aeldari, Orks, Leagues of Votann, Astra Militarum, Genestealer Cults, and World Eaters), an extra unit for each (I can't see the Astra Militarum or Ork options in the tiny pictures they have), a limited edition Space Marine and then paints and brushes (no terrain).

Premium kit is another extra unit for 8 of the 9 factions

Not sure if I'll bite on this one, depends on my budget at the time, but I kind of hope the next AoS one doesn't go in this direction

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

A pic of the new 40k. What do you think if the next AoS one follows the same approach?

IMG-20240101-WA0053.jpg

It's a shame there's no Tau/Kroot. I hope this goes past the initial trial and has decent Votann stuff. Can't make out what if any Space Dwarf there is on that picture.

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EntMan said:

It's a shamed there's no Tau/Kroot. I hope this goes past the initial trial and has decent Votann stuff. Can't make out what if any Space Dwarf there is on that picture.

In the end it is a bunch of Combat Patrols. Maybe GW is trying to push quicker games where you need fewer minis to play as a way to incentivise newer players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

A pic of the new 40k. What do you think if the next AoS one follows the same approach?

IMG-20240101-WA0053.jpg

If it's 80 issues then maybe I can buy into it, budget allowing, as at least it's mostly combat patrols I don't have but otherwise the fact it's so wishy washy makes me want to give it a miss because there's not really anything grabbing me

20 minutes ago, EntMan said:

It's a shamed there's no Tau/Kroot. I hope this goes past the initial trial and has decent Votann stuff. Can't make out what if any Space Dwarf there is on that picture.

Looks like it's the contents of the combat patrol (Khal, 10 warriors, 5 beserks and 3 pioneers) plus a set of Heartguard from what I can make out. Then a set of Thunderkin in the premium subscription

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

IMG-20240101-WA0053.jpg

I think that would be good as it’s more likely to appeal to new players (they can just pick up the army they want) and although it’s not as in-depth as the ‘mainly two armies’ approach it’s more likely to have some appeal to folks.

This is the first one of these I’m tempted to sub for as I could use the GSC, AM and Chaos stuff to round out an existing and build one I’ve been tempted by.

Thing is, trying to order via Forbidden Planet now means trying to beat folks to the popular issues only to see them show up on eBay. Or go direct to Hachette at which point the paint kinda drips the value for me.

But that’s just me - overall, I think this is generally a better format.

Edited by Souleater

21 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

In the end it is a bunch of Combat Patrols. Maybe GW is trying to push quicker games where you need fewer minis to play as a way to incentivise newer players.

ironic that they'll bend over backwards doing all kinds of stuff like this to nab new people instead of. Not making prices outrageous in general. i do like that this is an option but still!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 4:46 PM, Ejecutor said:

IMG-20240101-WA0053.jpg

Not tempted at all, and that's before people worked out what the savings were and realized this is a much worse deal than previous Partworks series.

It seems like such an odd idea to have nine different factions, rather than focus on two, with a little sprinkling of others on the side. The "traditional" method makes it perfect to split with a friend, or if you keep it all building two armies is somewhat manageable at least.

But then I think this is perhaps a bit more cynical on GW's part. At the end of this you don't have any full army, and you'll need to buy a lot of non-discounted stuff to get one. Plus you might end up buying several full armies to fill out your favorite few combat patrols.

I hope we don't see the same fit the next AoS series, if we get one.

• Sad 2

The next Stormbringer delivery is beginning to arrive and includes a letter about an opt in character pack again, this time for Radukar the Wolf, which makes it an easy skip for me as I already have him

1 hour ago, EonChao said:

The next Stormbringer delivery is beginning to arrive and includes a letter about an opt in character pack again, this time for Radukar the Wolf, which makes it an easy skip for me as I already have him

Ha, interesting choice...

• 2 weeks later...

We got Krondys in Spain with the 6th delivery, but we had no info yet about the Ogor Tyrant.

I read here that the Ogor Tyrant comes in the UK with the 6th delivery, but as we got Krondys with the 6th delivery (issue 20 rather than issue 15th as in the UK) I expect that we would get the Ogor Tyrant with the 8th delivery.

If we don't get it in two months I guess we won't get those special numbers...

• 2 weeks later...