AoS 3 - Big Waagh! Discussion

Arzalyn

Talk to me about Dragons, people.

I just had a 1300pt game against my mates 6 dragons, 2 characters, one with arcane time, and 2 units of 2 with spears.

I made several important mistakes, and lost 11-30vp. I managed to kill the 2 units of 2, but but it's only a small comfort.

Has anyone done well against them?

• 2 weeks later...

What chant on the warchanter do you guys prefer when running only 1 chanter? 

I am playing a casual big waagh path to glory list, with a healing chanter, because i have a rogue idol and wurrgogh that should benefit from the healing, but in my 4 matches played, I think I only have healed like 4 wounds total. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played a casual match using the mirebrute. He did some insane work. Killed a freeguild general and a lord-relictor in one combat phase.

I combined him with an allied troggboss and rockguts to reroll 1s, but next time I'll just run multiple mirebrutes. 

He fits realy well into big waagh as he benefits greatly from the +1/+1 and will generate waaagh points as you will be getting him into combat every chance you get.

Just wanted to tell the world you should try him :)

• Like 1

Same with Kragnos, I think (someone please correct me) that as he counts as a general you get the double general role for the Waaagh points. 

More specifically I find lots of units work well as support- Kragnos goes on a rampage backed up by Boltboyz (who don't need to be covered in mud as no one takes out them leaving Kragnos alone) and some Gore Gruntas. 

For Warchanter I go for killa beat as Kragnos gives you 3D6 charge anyway. If I don't have Kragnos then I'd run Go get 'em for the charge. Get some reinforced Gutrippaz into somone- fishing for 6's on 40 dice. 

• 5 months later...

Been thinking about big waaagh lately. I want to do something that includes the better parts of all 3 clans and can try to make semi competitive use of it. 

I know I want to include the following

Mawcrusha - because it's a force of nature

Gobsprakk- for all the great spells

Warchanter - autoinclude 

Wurrgog - autoinclude

3x5 ard boyz - best, cheapest battleline

2x3 boltboyz - to snipe and chip wounds

2x5 boarboy maniaks - give the Wurrgog something to buff turn 1 and to make early charges to pin and earn waaagh points. 

That leaves me 190 points to play around with. Some interesting options include

Breakaboss - to clap cheeks

Weirdnob Shaman and Wardokk - for a second Warlord and to leverage casting

Gnashtoof Killaboss - slippery scumbag for additional pinning and a tanky general

A unit of Gore-gruntas - to clap cheeks

I imagine I'll try all these variants out, but it's there something I haven't considered for those 190 points? 

6 hours ago, Tomplex said:

Been thinking about big waaagh lately. I want to do something that includes the better parts of all 3 clans and can try to make semi competitive use of it. 

I know I want to include the following

Mawcrusha - because it's a force of nature

Gobsprakk- for all the great spells

Warchanter - autoinclude 

Wurrgog - autoinclude

3x5 ard boyz - best, cheapest battleline

2x3 boltboyz - to snipe and chip wounds

2x5 boarboy maniaks - give the Wurrgog something to buff turn 1 and to make early charges to pin and earn waaagh points. 

That leaves me 190 points to play around with. Some interesting options include

Breakaboss - to clap cheeks

Weirdnob Shaman and Wardokk - for a second Warlord and to leverage casting

Gnashtoof Killaboss - slippery scumbag for additional pinning and a tanky general

A unit of Gore-gruntas - to clap cheeks

I imagine I'll try all these variants out, but it's there something I haven't considered for those 190 points? 

Want to add the possibility to ally Rippas Snarlfangs for 70 points or take a Skitterstrand Arachnarok for 180.

Could also try to add Swampcalla Shaman to buff up the 2x3 boltboyz + Wardokk/Rippas. 

Brutes are nice to have as a more durable unit and objective grabber.

21 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Want to add the possibility to ally Rippas Snarlfangs for 70 points or take a Skitterstrand Arachnarok for 180.

Could also try to add Swampcalla Shaman to buff up the 2x3 boltboyz + Wardokk/Rippas. 

Brutes are nice to have as a more durable unit and objective grabber.

I'm kinda reluctant to include gitz.  Ironically, of all the warclans big waaagh takes the biggest hit from including allies. Not only do they not get allegiance abilities but they don't generate waaagh points either. 

But Rippas Snarlfangs is a good call regardless. Cheap enough to throw away and allow another hero or even another unit of Boltboyz. 

I think the Swampcalla might not be worth it with such small units. Man I really wish the Murknob banner protected all orruks instead of just Kruleboyz...

On 9/7/2022 at 1:39 AM, Tomplex said:

Could also try a mirebrute. These guys slaps so hard. At least in big waagh when that buff gets going. Always my top performer when i play big waagh.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:21 AM, Smash said:

Could also try a mirebrute. These guys slaps so hard. At least in big waagh when that buff gets going. Always my top performer when i play big waagh.

The Breakaboss is at the top of my list to try out. I primed him last night and started working on his base. 

I'm more than a little worried about his speed but maybe his presence will deter some folks from making melee assassination runs at my foot heroes. I'm reluctant to supa sneaky him since he'd have to be the general to do it. And I want those waaagh points from the general to keep rolling in. 

12 hours ago, Tomplex said:

I'm more than a little worried about his speed 

Yes, his biggest flaw. I actually usually run fast un on him to mitigate this. And he is a prime target to teleport with hand of Gork! With fast un, you get a very reliable charge. But skipping the mount trait on the maw krusha is a hard choice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to test the list out against Std, I took the Breakaboss to fill out the points. 

Weirdly my dice rolled way too hot to be able to guage the list's measure appropriately. 

I took the arcane tome, touched by the Waaagh megaboss with the foot of Gork. An unlikely gambit that went off spectacularly, killing a sorcerer lord on manticore in one go. That and a great charge roll let me get behind his lines to lift the demon prince of khorne. 

Meanwhile the Boltboyz rolled 4 6's and lifted a foot sorcerer. Both units of maniaks made their charges and pinned his front line after Gobsprakk choking misted a bunch of enemy units which just completely gutted the enemy counterpunch. 

The chaos lord on karkadrak lifted a unit of maniaks, but that put him in range of the Wurrgog stare in my turn, which basically sealed the game after some even more hot dice.

So I can't say the list did well as much as my dice were burning a hole in the fabric of the universe. But I can say that I think I'm onto something in this ghb season. I hope I get to play again soon.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I had been coming closer and closer to making Big Waaagh the next army I assemble, but I think that's probably dead now, sadly. And ironically enough, the super-cool revamped Ironjawz are what killed it. I was already having a ton of trouble fitting lists together before them, and even if I don't take any of the new stuff, the change to Ardboyz removes any chance of cheap battleline. Going from an 80 point minimum in old Ardboyz to 140 point minimum with Brutes is pretty rough. Some of this is self-inflicted, because I want to include a Maw-Krusha in the list just for the model. Still it's disheartening.

Yeah cheap battleline is not an option anymore. Ill wait for the app to be updated before ill try making a new list. It feels a bit weird for the elite brutes to be the cheapest battleline option in the army, but i love the models so i any reason to field more is a good one.

For me the rule of cool always comes first.

Edited by Gitzdee

I have a question. Are Great Gnashtooths any good in Big Waaagh? Would running 3 of these be any good? Its more units to get charges with or score objectives.

I was thinking of converting 3 Thunderwolves for Orruk Warclans. Could also run them as Gore Gruntas. Not sure whats best.

Does anyone have a size comparison of the 3 by any chance? 

4 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

I had been coming closer and closer to making Big Waaagh the next army I assemble, but I think that's probably dead now, sadly. And ironically enough, the super-cool revamped Ironjawz are what killed it. I was already having a ton of trouble fitting lists together before them, and even if I don't take any of the new stuff, the change to Ardboyz removes any chance of cheap battleline. Going from an 80 point minimum in old Ardboyz to 140 point minimum with Brutes is pretty rough. Some of this is self-inflicted, because I want to include a Maw-Krusha in the list just for the model. Still it's disheartening.

I might be wrong, but I think one unit of gutrippas, 1 unit of hob grots and a unit of brutes is the cheapest. Works out as 370, or effectively 123.3 per battle line choice. I don't know if the 50 points you save is worth it, but if it was tight.

4 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Yeah, Hobgrots are not an option. Only Kruleboyz get the conditional battleline on them.

Nope that's not correct, the change was made to the pitched battle profile of Gutrippaz to say if u include one unit of them u can run a hobgrot unit as battleline so it works in BigWaagh as well as in Kruleboyz.

1 hour ago, woolf said:

Nope that's not correct, the change was made to the pitched battle profile of Gutrippaz to say if u include one unit of them u can run a hobgrot unit as battleline so it works in BigWaagh as well as in Kruleboyz.

I see. Had to manually select the battleline option for Hobgrots in the app. Never noticed that was a thing before.

Build this list. Trying to be somewhat flexible with a fun twist. Want to try running the Gnashtooths to hunt objectives. Arrowboyz can sit on an objective while the other units try control the middleground and push forward. Comments?

- Army Faction: Orruk Warclans
     - Army Type: Big Waaagh!

LEADERS
Gordrakk (460)
Killaboss on Great Gnashtoof (120)
Wurrgog Prophet (170)
Orruk Warchanter (120)

BATTLELINE
Orruk Brutes (140)
Savage Orruks (160)