Trogg Launching Point

Sarkazim

Just need a starting point for Troggs and what to start off with.  The timing is my biggest obstacle right now and my impatience has won for now.  I've ordered the Gloomspite Army book through my FLGS, but it's still a few weeks out.  I've also jumped in on a 'Secret Santa' hobby at my local Warhammer store with Troggs all on my wishlist.  I've got SOMETHING coming I've just got no idea what yet.  I've seen a few AoS3 games on YT, but most of it doesn't make sense yet.  As a result, when I look at the army on the AoSapp/Bscribe none of it makes any sense.  

What's a good 1000 pt list to get me started?
Which Troggs, if any, can I get now without being worried about getting duplicates from the SS?

I'm interested in getting something assembled to test out my paint scheme.   A little nudge would be nice and help me feel a bit more confident buyin stuff.

I'm mainly a 40k player but have always liked AoS when I can get a game.  I've been struggling to find an army that I enjoy in AoS.  I've done Dark Elves, Slayers, Kharadron, and Stormcast, but never really felt motivated to finish them and sold them off.  Losing interest in 40k and I'm back to give AoS3 a go.  I've settled on Troggs for now because even if I don't like them, the army isn't going to take up a ton of room with a lower model count.  I did look at Sons of Behemat and the models don't interest me as much as the troggs do.

Thanks.

Rockguts are solid right now, they hit like trains, have reasonable survivability and the kit is super nice in terms of customisability and just extra stuff on the sprus. You also need them in blocks of 6 or 9 so that's a great option.

Apparently some of the new Kruelboyz troggs can be used in GG aswell.

I've started a 1k list just now: it's not all troggs though, and not really optimized for anything; just models I liked.

Troggboss

Arachnarok with shaman

Rockgutsx3

Rockgutsx3

Sloggoth ally

You will want a troggboss and rockguts, that's for sure. You will also want fellwaters at some point, and the sloggoth.

Sloggoth +1 to hit with troggboss CA has troggs hitting on 2s rerolling 1s.

I'm personally making 6 rockguts per kit with greenstuff legs and guts.

So if you want to not get doubles from the secret Santa I'd go for either rockguts or fellwaters, since you wont want two dankholds or sloggoths yet.

Edited by Nadure
Completeness

I got bored, played around with the app a bit.  1k list to start off with and came up with this:

----------
Mollug 
Madcap Shaman
6 x Rockguts
6 x Rockguts

Loonshrine
----------

I was told Mollug works for making Troggs Battleline.  (No book yet so can't confirm).  AoS app allowed it, but I didn't see anything on either Mollug or the Troggboss Scrolls.  Without playing any games, 1/4 of your points spent on Troggboss just feels too high.  He might still show up from the SS, so who knows.  I tossed in the shaman simply because it looks like a simple enough combo with 'Night Shroud' and to learn how magic works in AoS3.  The remaining points could be used on a Sloggoth or an Aleguzzler depending on how the Santa thing pans out.  No clue on how to Traits/Artefacts yet, so wouldn't even know what to pick there.  The Loonshrine is showing ZERO points, is this just something we get?

If I'm on the right direction, then picking up 2 x Rockguts wouldn't hurt, even if I get some for SS?
EDIT: Will I need the other book for the Sloggoth?  Or does the Warscroll off the app work fine?

Edited by Sarkazim

@Sarkazim For your first few games don't worry about allegiance abilities, artifacts etc. Just learn what the units do from thier warscroll alone. Then you'll have more understanding of what you want from those extra choices. The sloggoth waracroll from the app is sufficient as the ally model can't benefit from its own allegiance ability so all you need Is its base rules. 

Thank You everyone!

I ended up picking up 2 x Rockguts, since that's all they had on the shelf.

Is the AoS app not fully debug'd yet?  I currently have a 1k setup on there with Mollug as the general, and the Rockguts as Battleline.  He has the Dankhold Keyword, but not the Troggboss keyword.  Can anyone else test this out? 

I did see the rule that allows Troggoths to become Battleline if the Troggboss is the General, so I'm inclined to believe that the Troggboss is req'd to make them Battleline.  I was also told  that Battleline is no longer required depending on what organization you pick?  Is this true? Or do I still need Battleline for AoS3?

Thanks.

If you play matched play you require battleline. In path to glory and open/narrative play you don't. 

Using the app, go to destruction, gloomspite gits, pitched battle profiles. You will see that both trogg types require a dankhold troggboss general to become battleline, which mollog is not. The app does still have some issues but all in all is pretty solid.

@BrocknerTheBear

Thank you for your help.  I'm trying to understand where the Battleline requirement is.  Are there rules somewhere for it other than the BRB or Battletome?  I only just got the BRB so I'm still working through it.

I'm not terribly worried about it at this stage, but feel like it would be good to know.  

I'm actually fine if that is the case.  It sounds like I picked a decent faction if we're so limited with options.  Makes it easier to manage an army compared to having too many options.

I keep thinking I want to start an Order army, but I just keep looking at Troggoths again and again.  What was that alternate Troggoth allegiance again? And is it still viable/legal in AoS3.0?  

I know the Troggoths can regenerate better or something under Da Bad Moon in the normal Gitz allegiance.  I was thinking 1 or 2 Fungoid Shaman would be good just for spells and CPs but otherwise there's a good diversity of the Trogg units now with the Kruelboyz allies.  I just need money (and my Ogors don't have Greasus Goldtooth in their ranks).

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

What was that alternate Troggoth allegiance again? And is it still viable/legal in AoS3.0?  

Gloggs megamob in white dwarf 457.

On the warhammer aos app (currently free) in stormforge you can select a gloggs megamob sub allegiance to see rules etc.

Summary

- Add 1 to rolls for the regen ability (so becomes a 3+)

- Dankhold CA giving magical resistance abilty off dankholds warscroll to a rockgut or fellwater in 12" till your next turn

- Compulsory command trait giving another CP on a 4+ on your turn if generals alive

- Compulsory artifact ignoring mortal wounds on a 5+.

New loonshrine rules replace the white dwarf ones, but in short if your generals a troggoth, can bring half size slain units of troggoths back.

Fungoids are pretty good, if you can find a battleforce around from last Christmas thats a good pick. Had a Dankhold, 6 rockguts, 15 squig riders and a squigboss.

Troggs do struggle a bit at the moment, but we'd be due a new battletome soon. By the time you got things together it might anyway be on the way. Faction rankings always swing to and fro, so I'd say its always better to get things you like the look/style of

• Thanks 2

Sounds like they got some tools; definitely worth getting a Loonshrine for that suballegiance.  Got the new app on my new phone now so I can check it out. 

I like that the kits for the Rockguts and Fellwaters have multiple arm and head options for mixing up the unit looks a bit.  Along with my Bullgor army I'd have the most 50mm bases of anyone I know.

The rockgut one in particular is good for that.

With about 9 heads and enough for 6 arms/torsos. With how the arms go together you can make a lot of variety.

I suppose if you were particularly inclined and handy with greenstuff you could make 6 rockguts out of a single box. The legs and gut would need to be done but its far less so than what would be needed for the fellwaters.

• Thanks 1

I just did a greenstuff "double your troggs project". I've never worked with blue/greenstuff before and they look almost picture perfect after watching a few videos on general materials use. I'd really recommend it, if you're doing what I did you can make molds of the original parts, cast copies, then customize those copies before they fully cure for infinite legs and gut mutations/scars.

I made a unit of thicker and longer legged snow trolls and a unit of more ordinary mossy trolls. I'll get pictures once both units are done and partially painted.

Got the Battletome and I got impatient.

Had a chat with the GW guy, broke down and picked up the bare minimum.  I got a Troggboss and 2 boxes of Rockguts.  So no matter what I get from the Secret Santa, I'll be able to use it. 

I'm not sure if I should order some Fellwater Troggs or not.  They're direct only so I'm not sure if I'm even going to get them from the Santa.  Would I use more than 6 in a list, in case I do get some?

I've got a color scheme in mind and I've ordered some Slate chips before I test it out.  I'm not a fan of the Barnacles however, so will probably GS them to look like rocks, not sure yet.

Edited by Sarkazim

Fellwaters work fine, with their current warscroll you wouldn't look to run as many as rockguts. They're better at hitting light units that won't hit back too hard, so a couple units of 3 to run around and do their thing is good. 

Shamans are also very useful supporting elements.

• 1 month later...

Hope everyone had a great Holiday! 

I ended up with virtually the whole army.
2 Dankhold Troggoth Kits
6 Rockgut Troggoth Kits 
2 Fellwater Troggoth Kits
Marshcrawla Sloggoth Kit
Mollugs Mob
2x Metal Madcap Shaman
FW Troggoth Hag

So outside of the Loonshrine there only seems to be 2 other optional kits to get.  The Mirebrute Troggoth to switch out Marshcrawla.  The other kit I've been advised to look at is the Maneater/Aleguzzler Gargant kit.  They'd be cool, but I'd have to look at finding ways to convert them into troggs.  Someone else suggested Kragnos as well, but I've not seen if he works or not.

There are currently 4 kits that I don't have yet because they didn't make the cutoff date at the local GW shop. but I've been sent the email order #.  Once I have those, I'm looking forward to starting assembly.

Thanks All!

• Like 1