AoS 3.0 - Ogor Mawtribes Discussion

Charleston

11 hours ago, Blairtiny said:

What’s the thoughts on the new mawpit 

looks like it could be a good option in some builds. Good to force you opponent into you or right away. 

Looks like a great alternative if your playing almost 100% Gutbusters.  

Loving the Gorger Pack though, add a whole new dimension to the army in one unit, ambush and command denial are going to give opponents a lot to think about.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 6:09 AM, Lightbox said:

Have you had a chance to test this? I've been wanting to play around with Yhetees myself but never had a chance.

And do you find the thundertusk to be particularly useful? I know that for the most part people have often preferred the double stonehorn.

No, not yet.  My next game though I'll give at least the HoTT and FLoSH a whirl.  I saw these both pretty cheap 2nd hand so figured I'd get them.  I like the strike last stomp on the TT, the breath might be useful, and with the Rimefrost Hide and -1 to hit in melee I think can withstand some pain much better than it used to be able to do.  Hard to argue with more Stonehorns though!  But with Yhetee spam, you pretty much need a TT as general.

I bought the new Gorgers for Warcry and am looking to expand to at least a 1000 points. But i know nothing about Ogor Mawtribes list building. I do know most of the Ogors range has not been updated for almost 2 decades, but i would like to try buy some of the more recent sculpts. Does anyone know what more recent sculpts are less likely to get updated? Also do Gorgers fit into a subfaction or work better with certain units? My guess is based on some keyword bingo that it would become a Gutbusters based list?

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:58 AM, Gitzdee said:

I bought the new Gorgers for Warcry and am looking to expand to at least a 1000 points. But i know nothing about Ogor Mawtribes list building. I do know most of the Ogors range has not been updated for almost 2 decades, but i would like to try buy some of the more recent sculpts. Does anyone know what more recent sculpts are less likely to get updated? Also do Gorgers fit into a subfaction or work better with certain units? My guess is based on some keyword bingo that it would become a Gutbusters based list?

Welcome to the warglut!  I think the Gorger Mawpack will be a great unit to include even with Beastclaw Raiders armies.  They have a bunch of various utilities with the deepstriking and Cave Howler command disruption.  Gorgers in a normal battletome Ogor army (not the Roving Maw Army of Renown) would work the best in Meatfist since they'll be getting extra good mortal wounds on the charge (+1 for more than 3 models, +1 for Meatfist, so on 4+).  

For accompaniments, a Butcher or Slaughtermaster (probably the latter) with Bloodfeast to give them an extra attack, is good.  A Tyrant to prevent more than 1 running from Battleshock is also good.  

As far as what models might get updates, that's difficult to say for sure, but I suspect next year or whenever the Battletome cycle gets going, they'll get a new Butcher and/or Slaughtermaster.  Not certain the Gluttons, Leadbelchers, or Ironguts will get new sculpts though, despite being super old themselves.  I think they still kinda work, and are certainly easy to build and paint!  Looking at that new Cities ogor sniper guy, or that corpse-grinder Cursed City one, neither are super impressive compared to the Glutton standard model.  They just have some better poses.  

I don't think the Beastclaw Raiders will be getting new monster kits either, nor Mournfangs.  BUT Yhetees, Frost Sabres, the Hunter...those might.  The Underworlds Frost Sabre is way nicer than the old kit...they could expand on that.  

So if you end up loving the Mawpack, get 3, and then maybe get 3 of the newer Ogors from the Cities/Cursed City and kitbash them into Butchers/Slaughtermasters, and use the Army of Renown for Roving Maw, and sprinkle in perhaps 3 Ironblasters and 4 single Gorgers (who are old creepy sculpts but you could again easily kitbash these from random bits of appropriate type and size, like Ogor Spawn almost).  That's a 2K army and newer sculpts and interesting.  I plan to do this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

So if you end up loving the Mawpack, get 3, and then maybe get 3 of the newer Ogors from the Cities/Cursed City and kitbash them into Butchers/Slaughtermasters, and use the Army of Renown for Roving Maw, and sprinkle in perhaps 3 Ironblasters and 4 single Gorgers (who are old creepy sculpts but you could again easily kitbash these from random bits of appropriate type and size, like Ogor Spawn almost).  That's a 2K army and newer sculpts and interesting.  I plan to do this.

Seems like a fun idea. I just have a bad history with supplements and rules like these. They almost always get invalidated when a new edition drops. 

I do think if they are refreshing Ogors next edition it will also include the Gluttons. Changing a battleline option quickly refreshes the look of the army, just look at what the new Ardboyz kit does for Ironjawz.

Might look into beastclaw raiders again. Too bad they dont sell the old start collecting anymore. That was a good one.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, forgot about the Ardboys!  Those were unexpected, and pretty darn nice.  I will reserve hope for an Ogor line refreshment.  It would be super nice if they did something similar to Horus Heresy actually, with basic tactical squad (Gluttons), then sell bits upgrade packs for Leadbelchers and Ironguts and Maneaters, though I suppose ManEaters need bunches of random custom looking bits, so maybe their own kit is better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering about using Voice of the Avalanche on some BCR hero, and taking advantage of the table wide commands to use Krondspine so the hero doesn't have to be right next to it.  Can't quite envision if A) it's worth bothering with B) if it is, what might be able to take advantage the best?

Krondspine is a tank with guaranteed 2 turns of survival; and all friendlies within domination range can get AoA if Krondspine gets it.  So I'm thinking perhaps Leadbelchers and/or Ironblasters OR Stonehorn Beastriders.  Problem with the shooty version though is the general with Voice of the Avalanche has to be BCR...so perhaps an Icebrow Hunter w cheapo Frost Sabres as battleline ,then fill it out with Krondspine and the rest shooty.  The other way might be Boulderhead, with a HoTT as general and then 3 Stonehorn Riders, and maybe some Gnoblars to screen the general.

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mawtribe: Underguts
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Voice of the Avalanche
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
2 x Frost Sabres (80)
2 x Frost Sabres (80)
2 x Frost Sabres (80)
8 x Leadbelchers (320)
- Reinforced x 1
8 x Leadbelchers (320)
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Gnoblars (120)
Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (480)
- Allies
Ironblaster (200)
Ironblaster (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 480 / 400
Wounds: 127
Drops: 10

OR

- Mawtribe: Boulderhead
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Huskard on Thundertusk (330)
- General
- Blood Vulture
- Command Trait: Voice of the Avalanche
- Artefact: The Seat of Alvagr
- Mount Trait: Rimefrost Hide
- Prayer: Pulverising Hailstorm
Stonehorn Beastriders (330)
20 x Gnoblars (120)
1 x Gorgers (80)
Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (480)
- Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 480 / 400
Wounds: 82
Drops: 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

With Gorgers being on 50mm bases, matching up alongside the other monstrous infantry. Could we see Ogors themselves move to 50mm bases?

image.png.6ecf8e17eb6a3f84a215a97589031d24.png

40mm used to feel much bigger when it was 25mm and 40mm. Now we have much wider selection of base sizes, could we see normal Ogors move to 50mm or stay on 40mm like the Bloodpelt Hunter? Saving 50mm for the larger units (Tyrant is already on 50mm)?

• Like 3

On 12/1/2023 at 5:06 PM, SunStorm said:

With Gorgers being on 50mm bases, matching up alongside the other monstrous infantry. Could we see Ogors themselves move to 50mm bases?

40mm used to feel much bigger when it was 25mm and 40mm. Now we have much wider selection of base sizes, could we see normal Ogors move to 50mm or stay on 40mm like the Bloodpelt Hunter? Saving 50mm for the larger units (Tyrant is already on 50mm)?

Cant begin to imagine what the range would like like if they are all Gorger size. Would be awesome.

• Like 3

Yeah the newer Ogors in Cities and Cursed City...and seems like another one maybe in Death? are perhaps taller and more dynamically posed.  The Gorgers are definitely bigger than the dad-bods.

Here's a weird list I'm dying to try out someday soon.  Screens and tramples.  Requires great mastery!  Or something.

- Mawtribe: Meatfist
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Icebrow Hunter (120)
- General
Tyrant (150)
Tyrant (150)
Tyrant (150)
Tyrant (150)
Firebelly (120)
2 x Mournfang Pack (170)
- Culling Clubs and Hackers with Ironfists
2 x Mournfang Pack (170)
2 x Mournfang Pack (170)
20 x Gnoblars (120)
20 x Gnoblars (120)
1 x Gorgers (80)
1 x Gorgers (80)
1 x Gorgers (80)
1 x Gorgers (80)
1 x Gorgers (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 152
Drops: 16

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 10:06 AM, SunStorm said:

I'd like to see the current Glutton/Irongut/Leadbelcher next to the Cities Ogor and that Corpse-eater Ogor from Cursed City was it?  If those guys are as big as the Gorgers and other elites you have pictured, then I could maybe see the whole foot slogging range shifting to that base, though I don't forsee a new Ironblaster kit.  The newer Tyrant is a bit heftier and taller than the Gluttons and on a 50mm.  Guess if Skaven get a bunch of new kits in the summer 2024, that may bode well for Ogors, since they're an old Fantasy sculpt for almost everything.

Trying to think what a competitive BCR based 1000 point list might look like, and a limit of 2 Behemoths even if they're battleline, and 3 battlelines mandatory (an event in March I'm considering).  Is that just hopeless?  I have a FLoSH, HoTT, SHBR, TTBR, magnetized SHBR/TTBR, 4 Mournfangs, Slaughtermaster, Bloodpelt Hunter, Gorger Pack, 4 Ironblasters, Tyrant....oh, and 20 Gnoblars.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

Wanting a bit of feedback 
My whole army is ogre riding seraphon based 
In line with that I thought I’d buy kroxigor as gorgers , then I remembered I love converting and I want 10 gorgers which is expensive…
So below is a first moc of an ogre/kroxigor/maybe
3 options 
1. full ogre old one head as helmet add me dead seraphon etc
2. Cold one head as head
3. Saurus head

This is tacked together, lots of work to do but I’m look for thoughts

IMG_0930.jpeg

IMG_0931.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0935.jpeg

I think Gorgers are just quite a bit different looking than normal Ogors.  I would almost use Saurus Warrior legs and bodies to make them look more starving and lean, then Ogor arms w clawed hands....and then cut the bottom jaws off the Ogor heads put long Seraphon lower jaws as if their mouths are all wide and toothy.  And you could add tiny mortal Cities people hands and heads to put in their mouths to make everything look bigger in scale.

Thoughts on a concept please
My ogre army is all seraphon themed and I wanted to build my own mawpit 
I game up with the following build as a cold one fighting/feeding pit
It’s using warcry terrain which has seraphon elements mixed with being broken. The base is traced from mawpit so it’s the right size
I’ll add ogre details and can move elements as nothing is glued
Please give thoughts and feedback

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

• LOVE IT! 1

That's wicked cool!  I applaud it.  And instead of the toothy sphincter eating people the giant skull could be animated by the Great Maw to eat people.

That reminds me....anyone used the Roving Maw army of renown at all?  I haven't tried it yet.  Only Gutbusters allowed so I'd have to proxy some stuff....but Gnoblars and Ironblasters are Gutbusters, so I'd just need like 2 more Gorger Packs.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

For a spare 160 points in a Kragnos and BCR army at 3,000 points.....should I add a Bloodpelt Hunter who can sneak to edges and around the MawPot to unleash the healing? 

Or should I add 2 lone Gorgers to deepstrike and help do Surround & Destroy, plus other assorted whatevers?  Can't decide. 

Using Kragnos only because it's already painted and the wife says I'm spending too much time on Warhammer.  So I'm like FiiiIIINNNE....I'll use a 720 point model instead of painting the Purple Sun, Slaughtermaster, Fellwater Troggoths, 2 Ironblasters, and a Tyrant, and maybe 20 Gnoblars.

Also, if Gorgers, should I go with the MawPit instead, and plop that gigantic thing to jam the enemy up and funnel their movements to the big beasts?  Haven't tried that thing yet.....I have to paint either terrain thing to use.

I don't have the Roving Maw rules book, but I read somewhere they all have to be Gutbusters.  This seems like good experimental fun:

- Mawtribe: Roving Maw
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Butcher (140)
- Cleaver
Slaughtermaster (140)
Slaughtermaster (140)
5 x Gorger Mawpack (220)
1 x Gorgers (80)
1 x Gorgers (80)
1 x Gorgers (80)