Help with GW epub file?

chord

I purchased White Dwarf 458 digitally (for solo rules as covid increases here) but I can't find a reader app for windows 10 that will read their epub3 fixed layout format properly.  If it does read its tiny and I can't zoom in, but more often then not it just is all garbled.

Any recommendations?  The app they list for reading it on their site lists an app that doesnt even support windows 10

16 hours ago, Bruteforce said:

Try to convert epub to pdf. Plenty of sites do it for you

GW uses epub3 with a fixed layout and these are not able to be converted.  I have attempted multiple times and talked to various developers of those tools.

I heard back from GW, but they are being not very helpful.  I will attempt more software but even the ones they recommend for windows 10 do not allow the epub3 file to be zoomed so its super small and hard to read. 

I bought the Lumineth battletome as epub. Worst purchase ever.

Tried several ways to get it to a pdf. The epub readers struggled to read the battletome.... The one they recommend feels like the 90s or windows XP software!

My painstakingly solution was to screenshot every page on my surface pro  and then make my own pdf of the rules that I would use for a game (my paper battletome was a month delayed, so this was my only way to get the rules).

I think "thorium reader"  worked pretty decently. It wasn't great for a touch tablet though, but will work fine on a laptop or computer since you probably are used to pressing buttons instead of gestures.

Maybe this is why they took the digital edition away? It probably works fine on ipad and such though. My Android phone can read it alright on Google books, but it doesn't work on windows 10.

Would be nice if we can use the new app with windows 11, though it uses Amazon store instead of Google Play store!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blood0Tiger said:

Yeah I stopped getting their digital books because they don't want to make it accessible.

I would suggest emailing them about your frustrations and the lack of assistance. This is the 'better way' to get their attention and begin change. 

I did,  I've been pretty much told tough luck, no refunds and no help.  Crazy town.

If anyone has a physical copy and can make a pdf of the AOS Solo rules I'll show you my receipt to prove I own a copy.  

Thats GW's normal response they don't usually do anything until a sizeable number of people tell them they need to make changes. Thus we the community need to be after them for making changes and tell them what we want.  Importantly to tell them to change their dated systems for community feedback and growth. Its our responsibility and our future if we want warhammer to last. 

55 minutes ago, Christopher Rowe said:

All the GW publications I've purchased have been via the iBooks store and they work great on my enormous iPad. I realize that's probably not helpful, but maybe it is?

It's not since I am using Windows 10.   But thanks for the attempt :)

• Like 1

I had a hard time finding an eReader too, and was also not impressed with customer service on this particular issue (I've otherwise had wonderful experiences with gw service) 

In the end I found that lithium was the only eReader that I could get to work. 

• 2 years later...

Until recently, I only used an Android tablet with Google Play Books to read my Adeptus Titanicus and Necromunda EPUBs. However, after buying the new Necromunda Core Rule Book I ran into some unexpected problem: There's a file size limit of 100MB that cannot be circumevented...the Core Rule Book got 139MB (so far, most of the books were around 75). So I had to look for an alternative. The best one turned out to be Colibrio. "Reasily" displays the ebooks correctly as well but is less comfortable when it comes to navigating pages. Two other apps did a pretty well job but still butchered some headings. Hende I'm not naming them and actually already forgot which they were ;-).

After that I checked whether there might be a PC version of Colibrio available. There kind of is. Atm it's only a demo (Vanilla Reader) that's running in the browser. But it got the same functionality as the Colibrio Android app.  (https://demo.colibrio.com/)