Fluff question about Cold Ones and Drakespawn.

EntMan

image.png.80227e6496cfe6faf297b2b05a06d361.pngimage.png.23df67c3cdbf8abc3652f92966008749.png

Within the lore of AOS are Seraphon Cold Ones and Order Serpentis' Drakespawn the same creatures? Or different but related or are they totoally different beasts with different origins that happen to look similar? And what are their origins? Are they magically created creatures, tamed dinosaurs? Or something different?

Edited by EntMan

They are magical creatures made by the darkling covens for the Order Serpentis since the dragons were hard to repopulate.  The Seraphon ones are the traditional Cold Ones.  If I remember right the Hydras are also magically created creatures in the same vein.  

• Thanks 1

The wiki stated they are entirely different beasts, but it also states AoS female dwarves have full beards, I don't know the source for either, but I don't have the Soulbound book that may shed more light on the former. 

In the Drakespawn Chariot description, they are described as Cold Ones.

There's a good chance the origins of the beasts is not described the same every time.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both. I am slowly building a Living City army based mainly on models I'd like to (mod and) paint rather than being in any way competetive. I like the look of the lizards and lizard chariot but really dislike the lore around what I guess previously were dark elves. So I'm going to try to give them a bit more of a wood elf/Wanderer look and wanted to fluff-up where they got thier lizards/dragons/dinosaurs from. I think I may well just go with "tamed" lizards from the forest.

Edited by EntMan

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, EntMan said:

image.png.80227e6496cfe6faf297b2b05a06d361.png

Within the lore of AOS are Seraphon Cold Ones and Order Serpentis' Drakespawn the same creatures? Or different but related or are they totoally different beasts with different origins that happen to look similar? And what are their origins? Are they magically created creatures, tamed dinosaurs? Or something different?

You can make your lore whatever you want.. even it it's more clearly defined later you can say they are magical experiments/Seraphon cold ones/whatever the lore conjures up that escaped and your army recaptured them ages later after they went fully feral.

• Thanks 1

Consider modern day domestic breeds. Dogs, horses, cattle and more show significant physical variation the world over. Even within the same country different uses and needs of the animal and different regional stocks can produce very different appearing breeds, even if they are all the same species. 

This is likely much the same. They might be the same species or based from the same wild species, however the two races have bred them in isolation from each other for a significant length of time. To the point where they have significant visual differences. 

We don't often see this in wargames, indeed things like horses are often very similar and many games even use the same horse body to cut down on the number of moulds they need to cast from. In this case the two also represent different styles and ages of sculpting. There's years of shifting styles and technology and sculpting skill between the two. 

• Thanks 1