Slaughterpriest

Johann

Hi,

i bought the White dwarf yesterday and now i own the slaughterpriest with hackblade. When i checked the warscroll, i noticed that there is a difference compared to the other slaughterpriest in the abilities 'scorn of sorcery'. With hackblade can explicite just ban one spell, the other can ban spells.

It should be the same, because both are slaughterpriest... is it a huge difference or just a mistake from GW?

I've not put any of mine together (I'm starting to get a collection of Slaughterpriests) but was always intended to play it that they can unbind a single spell.  Mighty Lord was FAQ'd to state he can do an unlimited number so would have expected the same for the Slaughterpriest if he'd been able to as well.  That said I rarely have had the need to unbind so far!

After this WD issue and then Gorechosen, I'm going to have a spare of each of the slaughterpriests...  need ideas on what to do with them?  I don't think my army needs four... and due to their size they may be difficult conversions... maybe something Nurgle?  Or just try and sell?  (sorry if slightly off topic)

17 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

After this WD issue and then Gorechosen, I'm going to have a spare of each of the slaughterpriests...  need ideas on what to do with them?  I don't think my army needs four... and due to their size they may be difficult conversions... maybe something Nurgle?  Or just try and sell?  (sorry if slightly off topic)

use one as a skullreaper or wrath monger or something

I'm going to be ending up with at least two of each from the looks of it... I'm intending to kit bash one into a Bloodsecrator and not decided on the other - possibly going into a Chariot. I think the biggest difficulty is that the height and pose is very recognisable at a distance so you need to do something to break that profile.

On 9/5/2016 at 5:48 PM, RuneBrush said:

I'm going to be ending up with at least two of each from the looks of it... I'm intending to kit bash one into a Bloodsecrator and not decided on the other - possibly going into a Chariot. I think the biggest difficulty is that the height and pose is very recognisable at a distance so you need to do something to break that profile.

Yeah that's the trouble, they stand a head taller than almost all other mortals.

On Monday, September 05, 2016 at 4:59 PM, kozokus said:

I think we can expect an errata on the old priest warscroll so he can unbing only one spell like his newer version.

SAdly the WD priest is less deadly in close combat and can only unbind one spell.

Base line less killy but doesn't he gain more attacks through other buffs applied two both weapons instead of the one big axe?

3 hours ago, Warchief Varard said:

Base line less killy but doesn't he gain more attacks through other buffs applied two both weapons instead of the one big axe?

Sadly not, gaining 1 attack on two different weapons is the same as gaining 1 attack on a dammage2 weapon.

1 hour ago, Wolden Spoons said:

As a not great combat hero but with fabulous upsides I tend to keep them out of the scuffles really so I guess the weapons aren't that important..

Indeed, you take the prisest for the prayer and not the weapons :)

55 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Sadly not, gaining 1 attack on two different weapons is the same as gaining 1 attack on a dammage2 weapon.

I'd rather have two damage 1 attacks than one damage 2.  A single attack has a higher chance of failing a roll (or opponent saving).

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd rather have two damage 1 attacks than one damage 2.  A single attack has a higher chance of failing a roll (or opponent saving).

Statistically it is the same, but the 2 weapons offers you some area of gray (1-2-3-4...dammage) rather than the hit (hard) or miss that the dammage2 weapon offers.

However, the big axe is better than the dual wield because of the stats of the hammer weapon, which is 1D3 attach 4+/4+ rather than 3 attack 3+/4+ nedded to equal the big axe.

To compensate, the hammerweapon has a much greater range (3")

29 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Statistically it is the same, but the 2 weapons offers you some area of gray (1-2-3-4...dammage) rather than the hit (hard) or miss that the dammage2 weapon offers.

However, the big axe is better than the dual wield because of the stats of the hammer weapon, which is 1D3 attach 4+/4+ rather than 3 attack 3+/4+ nedded to equal the big axe.

To compensate, the hammerweapon has a much greater range (3")

I was talking more of my preference of gaining a +1 A modifier to the two variations of Slaughterpriests.  Statistics have a brilliant way of kicking me in the teeth when the dice start rolling so I generally take the option of rolling more rather than less dice :D

16 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

Obviously anything adding attacks to melee weapons it better on the priest with more weapons. There's a bonus.

Sadly no,

To clarify things in terms of statistics attacks = weapondammage so if you add one dammage on two dam1 weapons OR one attack one dam2 weapon, you end up with the exact same things.

The two weapons are just a way to have halved results.

Speaking of the priest, the two weapons are strictly inferior to the big axe (because the hammer trades deadliness for additional range).

22 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Speaking of the priest, the two weapons are strictly inferior to the big axe (because the hammer trades deadliness for additional range).

OK, I'm going to take the bait ;) 

Using the Math Hammer worked out by Daedalus81 in another post as the basis for this (and assuming an unarmoured opponent).

Using base attacks the Hackblade should inflict one wound and the Wrath-hammer between 0.25 and 0.75.
The Bloodbathed Axe should inflict 1.5 wounds.
- Going for an average D3 roll of 2 attacks for the hammer they're both the same @1.5 wounds

With +1A, the Hackblade should inflict 1.3(ish) wounds and the Wrath-hammer between 0.5 and 1.
The Bloodbathed Axe should incflict 2 wounds.
- Using an average D3 roll of 2 attacks they're slightly different with dual wield coming out slightly on top with 2.083(ish)

To surmise -

• These answers are largely nonsense as you cannot get a fraction of a wound, rounding puts the two variations at exactly the same damage output.
  • You've a 1 in 3 chance of hitting with the Hackblade and a 1 in 4 chance of hitting with the hammer or axe.
  • The maximum damage with no modifiers for both is 6, with +1A it's 8.
  • Rolling lots of dice does indeed increase the chance at rolling the value you want - just not on all the dice

The only real choice is:
a) Free model on WD with ball and chain
b) Model from Gorechosen with flipping big axe
c) What's for dinner?

Ultimately it makes very little difference, as has been said already the main power of the Slaughterpriest is his prayers and you only need to kill one enemy to gain +1 to stop him killing himself.

I also apologise for slightly trolling this post but hopefully have kept it light-hearted enough not to offend/upset anyone. As much as I enjoy maths (yes I'm a freak) I'm still not sure the benefit of applying statistics to warscroll profiles especially when you're rolling perhaps a dozen dice throughout a game.  There are also many variables in a game you just can't factor in - bad dice, forgetfulness & buffs being just a few.

Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten

Terry Pratchett

11 hours ago, Wolden Spoons said:

By the time I pick up Gorechosen I'll have two of each, guess I should look for my bits box.

I'm starting to see more and more conversions of the two variants recently which I'm really enjoying.  It's almost a case that GW have been creating such great models for AoS people haven't been converting as much as they used too.

Archived