Living City - Good for oldschool Wood Elves?

Darnok

Having a sizable collection of Wood Elves for WHF, I am considering using them for AoS.

This would mean: "proper" round bases, using current rules. Namely: Cities of Sigmar, Living City. Some of the more recent WE kits have made the transition to AoS, so don't even need any handwaving. As I see it, a variety of Elve units can be used to cover those units that are no longer around: Sorceress for Spellsinger, Darkshards as Glade Guard, Dark Riders as Glade Riders, Shadow Warriors and/or Sisters Of The Watch as Waywatchers. Forest Spirits can by included as Sylvaneth allies - this is where the Living City comes into play.

What are your opinions on this? Is it worth the effort, would it play reasonably well? Do you even know people who did this very thing before and can share some on-table experience? I am intersted in it all, so thank you in advance for sharing!

Sorceress and Darkshards are really good friends, (well, "friends" as in sacrifices), Sisters of the Watch are tied as the best missile weapons, and Dark Riders are good skirmish cav. Living city is a city that has quite a bit of versatility.

I think this will make for a decent army, not tournament, but decent. GW isn't good at making a balanced game, so you'll be deleted if you face a newer army, but that's the fate of most armies.

• Like 1

This is how I use my WHF Wood Elf collection, it works pretty well! I use my Waywatchers as Shadow Warriors, but otherwise I basically field all my old units (except Glade Guard, which i have scavanged for parts and conversions).

The one issue is that Living City's special talent is 'you can deploy part of your army from the table edge' and there are a few missions that say 'no, you can't', and you'll probably lose those games because the army is so focused on special deployment. Outside of that, it's a great way to use an old but fantastic range!

by the by - Drycha is worth every single point she costs, just as good as Durthu imo and generally more effective!

7 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I really need to update this with High Elf>Lumineth stuff, but it should still be good for Wood Elves:

https://www.doublemisfire.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in_26.html?m=1

It would be nice to see the list updated! While you're at it, you could also look at DoK options Har Kuron gave us. We now have a city that has (at the very least) a perfect wardancer stand-in without resorting to allies.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dekay said:

It would be nice to see the list updated! While you're at it, you could also look at DoK options Har Kuron gave us. We now have a city that has (at the very least) a perfect wardancer stand-in without resorting to allies.

Thanks, I'm already factoring them in, as well as the Cursed City heroes and the upcoming Broken Realms Witch Hunter duo as obvious replacements for some discontinued Empire models...

On 4/13/2021 at 12:58 PM, Darnok said:

Having a sizable collection of Wood Elves for WHF, I am considering using them for AoS.

This would mean: "proper" round bases, using current rules. Namely: Cities of Sigmar, Living City. Some of the more recent WE kits have made the transition to AoS, so don't even need any handwaving. As I see it, a variety of Elve units can be used to cover those units that are no longer around: Sorceress for Spellsinger, Darkshards as Glade Guard, Dark Riders as Glade Riders, Shadow Warriors and/or Sisters Of The Watch as Waywatchers. Forest Spirits can by included as Sylvaneth allies - this is where the Living City comes into play.

What are your opinions on this? Is it worth the effort, would it play reasonably well? Do you even know people who did this very thing before and can share some on-table experience? I am intersted in it all, so thank you in advance for sharing!

I've done the same.  Having been building my Wood Elves for 34 years I"m not sweeping doom and gloom though I miss Wardancers tremendously.

I've rebased my archers, and scrounged extra SotW bows.  People also don't care that rebased GG count as Sisters of the Watch.

I've converted my old mounted mages as Sisters of the Thorn.  

Spellsingers can be Battlemages too.  I took two with a couple old Treemen and made a hurricanum with a cairn stone from the cygor and some trees from the citadel woods kit.

Living City Wanderers are solid (not great not bad), some units stand out more (EG, SotW), and you can learn to convert and build up what you want.  

I made my Great STag heroes Concussors and my WArhawks Gyrocopters and Great Eagle heros Gyrobombers.  I've used my Incarnate of Beasts as a Freeguild on Griffon.  

Glade Riders can turn into Wild Riders or any other "Fast cav" like entry.

It isn't too much work and any decent opponent won't care if you are clear.  

The only thing I would suggest is maybe watch to see if Kurnothi drastically change things up for you.  I may end up converting my rebased Wanderers to Kurnothi with some Ungor kits or something.  

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Some great ideas in there @Popisdead, thank you for sharing! I may or may not steal some of them.

As for...

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

The only thing I would suggest is maybe watch to see if Kurnothi drastically change things up for you.  I may end up converting my rebased Wanderers to Kurnothi with some Ungor kits or something.  

... yeah, I thought the same. I have plenty of other projects running already, so I will be waiting with this one until at least AoS 3.0 is out aas well as the Kurnothi having entered the stage.

I have had a lot of fun combining with sylvaneth to bring back the old wood elf feeling in the army. I haven’t been substituting units apart from using the spellweaver as a battlemage. It has been a lot of fun on the table though I don’t think I am choosing the most competitive builds. 

8EF53E9B-7576-4615-8F08-BF60E7824555.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

19 hours ago, Darnok said:

Some great ideas in there @Popisdead, thank you for sharing! I may or may not steal some of them.

As for...

... yeah, I thought the same. I have plenty of other projects running already, so I will be waiting with this one until at least AoS 3.0 is out aas well as the Kurnothi having entered the stage.

Steal them all and make more :)

I've had fun playing Wanderers in CoS.  Don't think you couldn't at least try.  for the most part square bases aren't really that much an issue.  The army is fairly fun to play.  I played a game of CoS where my opponent had a 50 mm square base on his dragon.  it wasn't really an issue since game-play dictated more of the game than base size.  All good :)

I refuse to give up on my wood elves.  Living city is the best fit i have found but it takes an inderstanding opponent.  Here are my counts as substitutions:

Orion = lord cellestant (hero on 40mm base)

Orions hounds (i use 40k fenric wolves) = gryph hounds which synergize with orion

Wood eld heros on foot on 32mm base = nomad prince

Wood elf heros on 25mm base = anointed or assassin depending on flavor

Elite archers (no banners/musicians) = sisters

Battleline archers (have banners/musicians) = darkshards or crossbowmen or handgunners (all imperfect fit).

Woodelves with spears = eternal guard

Wardancers (depending on their dance which is specified before battle) = executioners or rangers

Giant eagle = pheonix of one flavor or the other

Warhawk riders = aether wings

Lord on forest dragon = dreadlord on black dragon

Sylvaneth dryads, treemen (treelord) as themselves.

Misc mages on foot = sorceress, imperfect but at least its an elf

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 4/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, SU-152 said:

Any ideas to convert Glade Archers to Sister of the Watch???

Green stuff some flames on the bows.  Then repaint with a Foundation (or whatever it's called now).  Or 3D print some new bows if that is your thing.  I found people who had the flame bow bitz and swapped them over and painted them up.  Just snipped off the hands.  

On 4/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, Cynric said:

Dont convert, just agree with opponent that archer units without banners and musicians are elite archers which are sisters.

Also this.  an opponent that doesn't want you to use models you have bought an painted as a reasonable counts-as is probably not a good general/sport.  SotW are clearly in AoS what GG were meant to be or should have been, but whatever doesn't matter.