Citadel Paints or Vallejo...

Dain

Hello!

I would like to know if you suggest to use Vallejo paints instead of Citadel ones.

I find really annoying to find every pot dry from GW range....

Vallejo ones seems to be usable after years.

I have seen some tutorials to transfer citadel colors in drop bottles, but i really do not know if it is worth the time to transfer every color instead of buying the entire vallejo color suit case...

Imo.

Gw paints are a little better, for red and yellow.

Vallejo is almost as good.

Thing is i hate gw bottles (droppres ftw) and you pay more for 12ml of gw than 18ml of vallejo.

That said, i paint with a mix of vallejo and army painter.

I find Army painters metallics and shades are better them vallejos.

Again - imo.

But no paint will be better than experience.

I usually wind up using a mix of all the ranges. 

I I like GW Metallics and shades (for over Metallics), army painter washes for shading cloth, P3 bones and whites, Vallejo brighter colours and whatever o have to hand for the rest. 

Beat at advice is don't feel constricted to just one pant range. Mix and match to suit your needs. 

How much difference is there between paints?

I've just got the mega set of Army Painter... worked out most colours for cheapest. As I'm just starting out I thought that would be the best option. 

I think they're not highly rated and are a budget range... are other paints considerably better? If so, in what way? 

I use GW, Vallejo and P3, they're all great, so buy whichever colours you like from each or are easiest to acquire, or cheapest, etc.  I'm not so convinced by the base and layer paint thing GW has going on all their colours tend to have a fair bit of medium in, so are more or less all "layer" paints. 

For example; Abaddon Black Base, is a terrible black to buy if you just want to cover over light colours, (buy VGC Black instead) however it has a lovely finish so if you're painting black armour then Abaddon Black is great.

I like the VGC Extra Opaques for coverage as base layers, they have a grippy texture that top layers stick well to.

P3 are silky smooth so mix really well and give a great finish.

I haven't had any of the newer GW pots dry up on me yet, I wonder if people are leaving them open while painting, this might be why, also they are nice and stable pots that are easy to open.  Vallejo dropper bottles are great, P3 pots are probably my least favorite just because of the weaker lid, but then they hold more paint than the GW ones.

Another thing to mention is that it's worth cleaning your pots every now and again, the rim inside the lid will collect paint that dries and this will prevent the pots sealing correctly and will cause the hinge to break, especially on the P3 pots.  I use my sculpting tool to dig the hard paint up then pull it out and try and get it out as a single ring, I find it strangely satisfying actually.

10 hours ago, Ratamaplata said:

How much difference is there between paints?

I've just got the mega set of Army Painter... worked out most colours for cheapest. As I'm just starting out I thought that would be the best option. 

I think they're not highly rated and are a budget range... are other paints considerably better? If so, in what way? 

Those are being painted with army painter, and only army painter.

Army painter is my bread and butter, the mega paint set is, imo, the best bang for you buck you can get.

GW have really annoyed me with the changes to the paint range and colours coming and going over the years. So slowly I have removed GW's paints from the desk and swapped over to Vajello. I only use the washes, yellow and some mettalics from GW now everything else is Vajello. Their range has remained stable over the years so I know I can always find the paint I am looking for.

2 hours ago, Dez said:

I loved the last version of GW washes, and use the Army Painter ones. I'm always trying new stuff though!

I hate the Army Painter ones. I have never had a good experience with them. They need to be thinned heavily before applying them and I am often left with white marks once they dry.

In my opinion all ranges have their ups and downs, GW bigest problem are the botteles, I use GW Vallejo and P3.

Washes GW only

Panits mix

Air brush vallejo, but the do not have one palet with the non air brush and this is horrible

Air bursh technical Vallejo !

Metalics GW

20 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

GW washes are the best I have ever tried. Their glazes I just don't get however.

I like the glazes they are really convenient, I'd just like a two more colours, turquoise and purple.

The shades they are great, just make sure you don't add any water to them, that's what causes you to end up with white patches, (so partially dry your brush before using shades), or if you want to thin them use Lahmian Medium.

I've not tried Army Painter or Reaper.

Archived