AoS 2 - Har Kuron (Broken Realms: Morathi) Discussion

Double Misfire

Perhaps using Bloodwrack Shrine can be considered. For 160p you get behemot for scoring in Focal Points, she is actually similar to Hydra and Kharybdyss in melee on top of that she has magic (1cast/2 dispells), impact hits, 7" MW aura in hero phase and MW anti-horde shooting. She can't get bonus to cast like Sorceresses and is kinda slow, slightly less resilient too at 13W/5+. Of course her inclusion depends if your army is big enough for 1/4 requirements.

But actually if you have one, and runs Kharybdyss/Hydra you should strongly consider the swap if composition rules allows it.

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Har Kuron
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Lance of Spite & Shield
Dreadlord on Black Dragon (300)
- Lance of Spite & Shield

Battleline
10 x Drakespawn Knights (260)
10 x Drakespawn Knights (260)
5 x Drakespawn Knights (130)
1 x Drakespawn Chariots (80)
1 x Drakespawn Chariots (80)

Units
20 x Executioners (240)

Behemoths
War Hydra (170)
War Hydra (170)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 134

thoughts on this? I’d probably be looking at taking dok units instead of the Executioner once warscroll builder has updated to the new points.

im concerned, as I always have been with Order Serpentis, about only having two heroes and both being rather expensive dragons. I’m looking at starting a new army for 2021, Order Serpentis and Daughters Of Khaine are currently fighting for my attention 😂

I love reptiles, I want an army that can put out some damage and survive a hit back. I dislike the seraphon model range, the newer 2013 plastics are awesome but everything else is not. I’ve grown sour on the models after seeing what they could look like (see the Bloodbowl Saurus for example) and refuse to touch them again until they get a major update to the models. Additionally I prefer to focus on Saurus units and I’m disappointed that they aren’t as aggressive or defensive as I feel they should be. So I’m looking for something else.

Just for a bit of background, I have Flesh-Eaters, Ogors, Fyreslayers, Seraphon and Nighthaunt armies (in various stages of completed-ness, most require buying some new models although I have enough to make lists and play with). Seraphon, see above about the models. Flesh-Eaters I’m sort of in the same boat as Seraphon, after seeing the Underworlds warband I don’t really want to touch the current kits even though I require 3 boxes each of Horrors and Flayers). Fyreslayers, I don’t know I guess I’m still a bit sour that we didn’t get new models. I still have a bunch of stuff to paint for them but just don’t have the interest or motivation to actually do it. Ogors, I’ll be quite honest here, I enjoy how they play and the rules but I’m not really feeling the models, they aren’t ‘bad’ like seraphon but I do think they could be much better. I’d like there rules with almost any other ‘monsterous infantry’ models instead, like trolls. Nighthaunt quite frankly just aren’t enjoyable, it feels like they’re playing a completely different game to everyone else these days where half their rules require failing bravery that basically everyone ignores these days. I feel the 4+ ethereal is overvalued and results in higher points costs and lower wounds values. In the past I’ve also had/played Spiderfang Gots, Squigs, Stormcast, Khorne, Daughters Of Khaine, Idoneth Deepkin, Dispossessed, Ossiach Bonereapers, Soulblight, Slaves To Darkness/Everchosen, Tzeentch and Ironjawz

• 1 month later...

Morathi-Khaine (210)
The Shadow Queen (390)
Sorceress (90)
- General 
Sorceress (90)
- Traitors Banner
20 x Darkshards (200)
10 x Dreadspears (90)
10 x Black Guard (130)
10 x Black Guard (130)
War Hydra (170)
War Hydra (170)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

My current idea for classic Dark Elf feels. Torn on prayer vs spell Command Trait. Leaning towards prayer as I've got the 3 casters.

Spells = Vitriolic Spray x2 and the Withering

Drakespawn Knights and Hydras run up and put pressure and take points with Big Morathi. Follow up with black guard as a second wave where needed. Try and keep little Morathi and spell portal shenanigans going as long as possible with the 20 darkshards. Spears for stabbing / speed bump.

Thoughts?

On 2/20/2021 at 1:49 AM, Joseph Mackay said:

thoughts on this? I’d probably be looking at taking dok units instead of the Executioner once warscroll builder has updated to the new points.

Well if you like lizards that's certainly lot of them. Drakespawn knights can be quite tanky, tough not that good on dmg I suppose. Any tought on trait for your general? I probably would go with prayer one, exploding 6 on Dragon Jaw attack is nice addition, I once dealt 29 damage from Sorceress on Black Dragon thanks to that bless.

further toughts:

-DoK is significantly more powerful than Serpentis, so question is how competitive you want to be

-actually increasing number of Executioners to 30, instead of dropping them (and dropping say chariot) would give you solid infantry block for 300 pts thanks to horde discount

-you could drop War Hydra/s and exchange for  Bloodwrack Shrines for 10pts less each, more damage in melee, horde clearing and spell casting , also snakes

14 minutes ago, Slave2Chaos said:

My current idea for classic Dark Elf feels. Torn on prayer vs spell Command Trait. Leaning towards prayer as I've got the 3 casters.

Spells = Vitriolic Spray x2 and the Withering

Drakespawn Knights and Hydras run up and put pressure and take points with Big Morathi. Follow up with black guard as a second wave where needed. Try and keep little Morathi and spell portal shenanigans going as long as possible with the 20 darkshards. Spears for stabbing / speed bump.

Thoughts?

I probably would go with Sap strenght on one of Sorceresses, if Morathi has Spray she's not dying anytime soon

For trait I lean towards prayer it can buff either Morathi or Darkshards, tough not reliable. Going for magic gives you more opportunity to gamble for spell casts tough

Since you have 12 units there is opportunity to exchange Hydra for Bloodwrack Shrine like I wrote above it's better in melee, good vs hordes, you get one more spellcaster. Slightly slower then Hydra tough.

@Boar Thank you for reminding me about the Bloodwrack Shrine, Yeah, I will replace one of the Hydras with the Shrine.

Morathi - V Spray
Sorceress - The Withering
Sorceress - Sap Strength
Medusa - Shadow Daggers?

Should I leave the Banner on the Sorceress to protect the "portal bunker" or put in on the more durable shrine that's advancing?

6 casts and unbinds seems like it'll be able to get some work done in the magic dominance present out there. Those dreadspears aren't long for this world 

1 hour ago, Slave2Chaos said:

Should I leave the Banner on the Sorceress to protect the "portal bunker" or put in on the more durable shrine that's advancing?

I suppose on shrine, enemy cannot exactly ignore advancing army, and in some situations it may even be almost impossible for them to reach backyard (depending how you advance). And if you didn't advanced yet (f.ex. because enemy having less drops tries his luck in alpha) it can be easier to protect more land with larger base to radiate aura. Tough I am sure there are situations when opposite can be true, so I guess it would also depends to a degree on your local opponents.

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, Greed said:

Did Something Change for us With the new core book?

All this save stacking increase value of Vitriolic Spray.
Thanks to above mentioned save stacking Executioners are perhaps better in many circumstances than Black Guard, tough prayer for exploding hits gives them nothing now.

• LOVE IT! 1

Hey there
I am mostly a painter though I like to throw some games with a like minded friend once in awhile.
I am trying to make Harkuron list but was wondering if Morathi counts as 2 dok units in terms of coalition? Do I need to take 8 other units to be able to take Morathi? I understand it might be a silly question for most :)
Thanks!

1 hour ago, anthalont said:

Hey there
I am mostly a painter though I like to throw some games with a like minded friend once in awhile.
I am trying to make Harkuron list but was wondering if Morathi counts as 2 dok units in terms of coalition? Do I need to take 8 other units to be able to take Morathi? I understand it might be a silly question for most :)
Thanks!

No such thing as silly question! She comes as two units, so yeah you need 8 units (not in addition like you wrote). So both Morathis and at least 6 others and you are set.

• 1 month later...

- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Assassin (80)***
- General
- Command Trait: Murderous Rite
- Artefact: Lifetaker  
Sorceress (95)*
- Lore of Umbral Spite: Vitriolic Spray
Sorceress (95)*
- Lore of Umbral Spite: The Withering
Hag Queen (105)*
- Artefact: Traitor's Banner  
- Universal Prayer Scripture: Curse
Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers(75)****
- Allies
10 x Dark Riders (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dark Riders (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Shadow Warriors (120)***
20 x Executioners (260)**
- Reinforced x 1
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (120)****
10 x Namarti Reavers (115)****
- Allies
- Allies
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
**Hunters of the Heartlands
***Vanguard
****Battle Regiment
Artefact

Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 305 / 400
Wounds: 153
Drops: 11

————————

This list was designed as Shadowblade.Army might post some conversions soon but am primary goal here is an army that isn’t gonna be garbage from word go.

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Arathorn185 said:

Assassin (80)***
- General
Sorceress (95)*
Sorceress (95)*
Hag Queen (105)*
Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers(75)****
- Allies
10 x Dark Riders (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dark Riders (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
- Allies
- Allies
*Command Entourage - Magnificent
***Vanguard
****Battle Regiment
Artefact

Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Allies: 305 / 400
Wounds: 153
Drops: 11

————————

This list was designed as Shadowblade.Army might post some conversions soon but am primary goal here is an army that isn’t gonna be garbage from word go.

You absolutely need spellportal in this list. Are you fully against using Darkshards?

If I did an alliedless version of the list: 

Assassin (80)*
- General
Sorceress (95)*
Sorceress (95)*
Slaughter Queen (120)***
10 x Dark Riders (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Dark Riders (230)**
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Shadow Warriors (120)*
10 x Shadow Warriors (120)*
10 x Shadow Warriors (120)

20 x Darkshards (230)***
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (120)***
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (120)***

1x Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Total 2000:

*Warlord
***Battle Regiment
Artefact

Drops 10

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Leaks for the DoK 3.0 tome have me a little excited for Har Kuron again.

Mostly because I own a Melusai Ironscale and Blood Sisters.

These are 2nd hand rumours so take them with a grain of salt until we know more this weekend.

Melusai's remain mostly unchanged, same points but the Blood Sisters now deliver their mortal wounds on a 2+ after they've finished their attacks.  Which is nice. I like the idea of an Incarnate of Ghur + the snake/hero combo to have 2d6 run + 2d6 charge both rerollable. Getting another +1 to cast means we can get +3 for that all important vitriolic spray.

Witchbrew + SoS/Witches was already iffy because of it having a lower chance to go off but now it's utterly useless in Har Kuron.

If points are favourable Shrines will be slightly better because of the built in +1 to prayers.

Overall seems fun. Wonder if Avatars might be worthwhile now too.