5 Drakespawn Knights, flanking

10 Executioners

20 Freeguild Crossbowmen

20 Freeguild Handgunners

10 Greatswords

Honoured Retinue

10 Shadow Warriors, flanking

Balewind Vortex

= 2000. Lots of aelves and humans on foot to spare and tempted in the longer term to find a way to increase knights to 10 but think will do for now!

• 4 weeks later...

So, about the Shade Warlock trait...

What exactly does it do for a non-Wizard? It doesn't change the unit's keyword to WIZARD, but it lets you cast spells as a WIZARD, which is different than the rules text of other similar abilities in CoS, which only let you cast a specific spell. I would assume it doesn't let you dispel or unbind, but can you cast endless spells, for example, since those are spells all wizards can cast? What about realm spells?

5 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

but can you cast endless spells, for example, since those are spells all wizards can cast? What about realm spells?

From what I see in Core Book both Realm and Endless Spells are known by WIZARDS in your army.

So for non-wizard it would only get you Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield.

Ah, you're probably right, I just don't get why it's phrased in this way as compared to the perfectly serviceable language in the CoS book, the "you may attempt to cast this spell in your hero phase". It makes it feel like they're getting at something else when they phrase it in the way they did Shade Warlock.

1 hour ago, Rhubarb said:

Ah, you're probably right, I just don't get why it's phrased in this way as compared to the perfectly serviceable language in the CoS book, the "you may attempt to cast this spell in your hero phase". It makes it feel like they're getting at something else when they phrase it in the way they did Shade Warlock.

It's kinda different ability, Misthaven's and Har Kuron gives you additional cast for wizards. Rest of CoS give you more spells known for wizards.

Why they changed it? Who knows? Maybe it's some internal shift in design philosophy, perhaps having in mind changes for AOS 3.0?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally getting around to looking at the new cities and my gut feeling is that they put 5 minutes of effort into the entire CoS section. Those narcotics are weak, no spells, only 1 useful option for the general and only 3 magic items. Even the errata is a joke, just an extra useless narcotic. The only thing this city has going for it is the ability to drop a hydra or kharibdis up close. I suppose you could try 10 drakespawn knights but they're doing nothing but blocking. I'm torn as to which is worse, this or Phoenicium.

On 2/25/2021 at 11:23 PM, SentinelGuy said:

Finally getting around to looking at the new cities and my gut feeling is that they put 5 minutes of effort into the entire CoS section. Those narcotics are weak, no spells, only 1 useful option for the general and only 3 magic items. Even the errata is a joke, just an extra useless narcotic. The only thing this city has going for it is the ability to drop a hydra or kharibdis up close. I suppose you could try 10 drakespawn knights but they're doing nothing but blocking. I'm torn as to which is worse, this or Phoenicium.

The Phoenicium is better in terms of rules, but has no defineable theme.

Conversely, Misthavn is very "Rule of Cool", but has terrible (both in terms of competativeness and flavour) rules.

PS: Why not drop a DLoBD up close? Can't another (cheap) hero be dropped-in, and then you slingshot the DLoBD off him/her?

Edited by Kyriakin

19 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

The Phoenicium is better in terms of rules, but has no defineable theme.

Conversely, Misthavn is very "Rule of Cool", but has terrible (both in terms of competativeness and flavour) rules.

PS: Why not drop a DLoBD up close? Can't another (cheap) hero be dropped-in, and then you slingshot the DLoBD off him/her?

It costing a command point to get them in close means you end up coming in piecemeal and I don't like to risk the dragon unsupported. I'd end up playing it safe and if I'm doing that, I may as well take a kharibdis/hydra and chuck at the enemy. It won't kill as much, but it's more expendable.

14 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

The way I see it you have two options - the distraction carnifex (hydra/kharibdis) or the brick wall (dino knights). I'd probably bounce both of them off of a pirate captain, as he's our cheapest hero.

It is so annoying that it is limited to 10 models.

40 Corsairs wouldn't have been game-breaking, but they could have been flung on an objective, at least.

Everything about this city seems gimped for no reason.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:50 PM, SentinelGuy said:

The way I see it you have two options - the distraction carnifex (hydra/kharibdis) or the brick wall (dino knights). I'd probably bounce both of them off of a pirate captain, as he's our cheapest hero.

I will probably do it with the Assassin, as he unlocks Shadow Warriors battleline as a General.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

Has anyone tried Gotrek with the heal narcotic? It's a fun imagination having him under the influence of hard drugs just smashing enemies

As an ally, Gotrek can't take any upgrades. Healing him with Lifeswarm works just fine, though.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So this is my Misthavn list:

There are a couple caveats here. Its playing Legends rules specifically Mistweaver Sith and Tenebral Shard. And assuming opponent let me count them as Shadowblades. So here we go:

Leader 445:

•Mistweaver Sith - 135: General (Dark Adept), Art (Bell), Narcrotic (Ink)

-Spell (Levitate), Bat (Regiment)

•Tenebral Shard - 110: Adjunct, Art (Tomb or Shackles), Narcrotic (Dust or Float)

-Spell (Flaming, if Tomb), Bat (Warlord)

•Assassin - 80: Hiding, Nacrotic (Synthalscum), Bat (Warlord)

-General(FNP, if Foe Stickler About Keyword)

•Naeve Blacktalon - 120:  Coalition (Stormcast), Bat (Warlord)

Battleline - 700

•2x Dark Riders - 230(115); Full Command, Bat (Regiment)

•2x Shadow Warriors - 240 (120); Full Command, Bat (Hunters)

-Hiding

•1x Dark Riders - 230; Full Command, Bat (Warlord)

-Flanking

Other - 855

•2x Khainite Shadowstalkers - 240(120): Allies (Daughters), Bat(Regiment)

-Full Command

•1x Vangaurd Hunters - 125: Coalition (Stormcast), Full Command

-Bat(Warlord)

•1x Farstriders - 90: Coalition (Stormcast)

•1x Executioners - 260: Full Command, Retinue, Bat (Hunters)

•1x Doomfire Warlocks - 140: Allies (Daughters), Bat (Regiment)

Total - 2000

-10 Drops (15 Units)

•Six Units in Battle Regiment

-Khainite Units

-Mist

-5 Man Dark Rider Squads

•4 “Deep Strikers”

-Assassin

-2x Shadow Warriors

-1x 10 Man Dark Riders

•6 Deploying Drops (Executioners before 10 Man Dark Riders)

-Battle Regiment

-Stormcast Units

-Executioners

-Shard

•6 Redeployers

-2x Khainite

-Shard

-Stormcast Units

•Battlelions

-Battle Regiment

-Warlord

-Hunters of the Wild