The TRUTH behind AoS lore

gabbi

Conan was born on the battlefield of blood.  So yes 100% correct.

Brian Ansel admitted a couple years ago Khorne was directly taken from Crom.  And we all know Sigmar in the past was GWs Conan story.  

What does this mean?  Nothin;;  Sigmar is Sigmar, and Khorne is Khorne and we keep painting and playing along :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Conan was born on the battlefield of blood.  So yes 100% correct.

Brian Ansel admitted a couple years ago Khorne was directly taken from Crom.  And we all know Sigmar in the past was GWs Conan story.  

What does this mean?  Nothin;;  Sigmar is Sigmar, and Khorne is Khorne and we keep painting and playing along :)

I always find it hilarious how much of Warhammer was straight up "borrowed" from other sources. The whole idea that Games Workshop considers Chaos to be some sort of hallowed product identify is crazy when it was basically stolen wholesale from Michael Moorcock's novels (right down to the iconography)! Khorne is Crom, Nurgle is a corruption of the Babylonian death god Nergal, and basically early warhammer lore was just an exercise in throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck. The answer was most of the fantasy kitchen sink!

• Like 1

Literally everything was either a lampoon or homage back then.  Especially with 40K borrowing from a wide assortment of sources.  It seems like around the 2000’s it started to take itself seriously and we get more of it as unique to warhammer.  
I read a bunch of the Elric of Melnibone stories a few years ago and AoS is heavily influenced by his journeys after he destroyed his kingdom.  Especially with how intrinsic magic is to reality in the setting.

2 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Khorne is Crom, Nurgle is a corruption of the Babylonian death god Nergal, and basically early warhammer lore was just an exercise in throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck. The answer was most of the fantasy kitchen sink!

To expand on that Slaanesh is suppose to be a whisper in your ear and Tzeentch is supposed to be the sound of a magic missile hitting you.

I mean,.. everything is built on something, rarely is something entirely fresh and new.  But GW has classic pillars.

In fairness if you look at almost all fantasy/scifi its possible to trace its influences. Sometimes its direct, eg Old Word copy-catting the Lord of the Rings. Other times its people of similar generations and influences coming to the same rough ideas from the influences in their lives. As we get older and as we expose ourselves to more within a genre we can often start to spot the patterns emerging. We can see huge influencers like Dune and Lord of the Rings as well as spot more minor connections as well. 

• Like 2

1/3 tropes, 1/3 adapted from other sources, 1/3  original content is a pretty good mix that people tend to like. Original enough to be fresh, familiar enough to be grounded. One might note that originality is a minority in the above; too often "original" is used in language as a stand-in for "quality" when really it is all about how well written something is. I frequently see critics fail to account for their own experience too. For example, I have read every AoS hardback and considerable amounts of Warhammer works otherwise. I know the tropes and often the plots are very predictable to me. But how much of that is the plot actually being predictable, and how much of it is me personally having greater than normal experience with the subject? That is something I always consider before leveling such a criticism. Many other examples in the same vein too. But now I'm just rambling, hope someone finds this post interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

I frequently see critics fail to account for their own experience too. For example, I have read every AoS hardback and considerable amounts of Warhammer works otherwise. I know the tropes and often the plots are very predictable to me. But how much of that is the plot actually being predictable, and how much of it is me personally having greater than normal experience with the subject? That is something I always consider before leveling such a criticism. Many other examples in the same vein too. But now I'm just rambling, hope someone finds this post interesting.

I see the same a lot on steam reviews. Someone rating a game as "repetitive and dull" or "loses challenge after a while" and thus giving the game a negative rating; however you look at their hours played (displayed on the review) and they are well into the hundreds or even thousands of logged hours. It's the same line of thinking that they are giving something a negative, when in actuality its a positive, its just the person has burned themselves out and the review is more a reflection of them than the product. 

I find that forgivable because they are just a person giving their current opinion, and the level of self-awareness to recognize their own bias compromising an objective evaluation is not something that is taught or valued in modern society. It's when professional book/movie/whatever critics fall prey to that I find irksome, because it is their job to be aware of personal bias and separate it out.

On 11/2/2020 at 5:26 PM, NinthMusketeer said:

Even Nagash's victory would not end Chaos, because there is still one sentient being left...

Its not about being sentient, its about directed worship, thats what the gods need to be strong. They are reflections of emotion and expression of those emotions do "feed" them in a sense, but directed worship is their main meal in a sense, like the difference between crumbs of dry bread and a banquet. For example somone commiting murder because they have lost their temper would feed khorne a little bit However going on a killing spree, removing the heads of your victims after youve carved symbols of khorne into the flesh, while screaming your worship amd dedication to him is like a nice fat burger. The gods can be weakened in this way by denying worship and has indeed been nagashes plan for a long time.

Like others have said though no one knows how many "universes" the chaos gods touch to draw sustenance from so would nagashes plan work?