Mixing Destruction Units

Aaron Schmidt

I've been thinking about what I wanted my Orruk army to look like. I wanted to build up a force based around one of the IronJaw battalions and then support it with some Grots to add some tactical and character color. I know this sort of thing would work with open play, but this is also legit in matched play as well so long as the primary force has enough battle line units and not too many restricted units?

It's totally fine to run a vanilla destruction force. The only thing you need to really be aware of when you do that are your Battleline choices. Nothing in Ironjawz (or Beastclaw Raiders for that matter) counts as battleline if you're doing a mixed-destruction army. You'll have to fill your battleline requirements with either Bonesplitterz Savage Orruks, Grots (Gitmob or Moonclan), Gutbuster Ogors, or Greenskinz Orruks.

What you need are Forgeworld Monsters! Stomp!

Destruction have a really great variety even with relatively few factions; and the strong Destruction allegiance pack (so much better than Order it's hilarious #battlebrew #rampagingdestroyers) actively encourages you to mix and match. 

the only bad thing is that there is not a leader with a command ability that influence all destruction models... they are so specific!

I though a long for a mixed destruction army but this thing hurt me so much!

my favourite is the orc warboss, but with some grots and ogors around him, his command ability lose efficience

the only bad thing is that there is not a leader with a command ability that influence all destruction models... they are so specific!

Gordrakk! Plus it's one of the best!

You're lucky to have one at all. Order and Chaos don't have any.

yes but.. some allegiance have a generic influence.. for example... stormcast leader affects all stormcast... seraphon leader influence ALL seraphon (saurus, skink, kroxigors and all the behemoth as well)... the chaos ones have a great influence sphere: the one who influences KHORNE models include slaves to darkness, demons, and bloodbound and so you can make very various list... and the same with the other chaos marks. (with NURGLE you can even mix slaves, demons, rotbringers and skaven, without losing influence of most of the command abilities)

the destruction leaders are too much specific.... we don't have a leader that affects "orruks", or "grot" (I don't pretend to have a "destruction" influence)... we have all this sub-categories.... ironjawz, bonesplitterz, greenskinz, moonclan, and every leader act ONLY on his specific race... etc etc etc.... I think that the destruction alliance, more than the others, drive the players to put the focus on the specific, restricted, sub-alliance

the only one we have is the orc warboss, with his waagh that hit all the orruks, but is the only case we have.. the other alliance have plenty of leader to chose to have sinergies with all the army

KHORNE models include slaves to darkness, demons, and bloodbound and so you can make very various list... and the same with the other chaos marks. (with NURGLE you can even mix slaves, demons, rotbringers and skaven, without losing influence of most of the command abilities)

I think when you delve into it, the only meaningful Khorne Command Ability is the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster - which only affects Daemons. The aura on the Aspiring Deathbringer is pretty small and he's a 5 wound hero as a general - fail. The real issue is that the Bloodsecrator buffs both Daemons and Mortals.

Trust me - you don't want to be envying Nurgle's position. 

I have a mixed grots and an ironjawz army, but Battlelines put me off of mixed destruction armies.

My beef is that even if i really want something from another army, it come with at leas 300pt in "battleline tax". It ends up takin 1/3-1/4 of the list.

And there is no real good bl in destruction, imo, to justify that.

46 minutes ago, Sadysaneto said:

I have a mixed grots and an ironjawz army, but Battlelines put me off of mixed destruction armies.

My beef is that even if i really want something from another army, it come with at leas 300pt in "battleline tax". It ends up takin 1/3-1/4 of the list.

And there is no real good bl in destruction, imo, to justify that.

Regular Savage Orruks are amazing Battleline units, you get 20 wounds for 100 points! Ogors are no slouch either for that matter.

18 minutes ago, thediceabide said:

Regular Savage Orruks are amazing Battleline units, you get 20 wounds for 100 points! Ogors are no slouch either for that matter.

Yeah, i know. But sinergy is the problem i guess. Im my mind they ll be taking slots from ardboyz tha benefit from warchanters. I admit i can be narrowminded, but i cant get over it

1 hour ago, Sadysaneto said:

Yeah, i know. But sinergy is the problem i guess. Im my mind they ll be taking slots from ardboyz tha benefit from warchanters. I admit i can be narrowminded, but i cant get over it

Well, that's kind of the point of how the forces are built now. If you want more synergy, you get less choice in units (i.e. going pure bonesplittaz). Don't forget though that you can take the Warscroll Battalions, so you could take those 3 units of Savage Orruks in a Kunnin (which would also want a unit of 20-30 arrowboyz) or Brutal Rukk if you wanted. Also, while they can't get buffed by the Warchanter, they do actually make the Weirdnob Shaman more effective.

I think there are two different types of synergy. One is the obvious one where a character or unit affects other units with a specific keyword. The other has a bit more to do with the ways that elements in a force can work together. This 2nd type of synergy is what you can get by having more options with what you can take. Ironjawz don't have a lot of access to units which can be used a chaff, shoot, or move to areas of the board very quickly. With units that can do these things it makes the blocks of Brutes, Gruntas, or Ardboyz capable of things they wouldn't be otherwise potentially. 

I think we work very well as a mixed "Destruction" army. Some very solid options in generic battleline and units from the various factions available to cover most needs. Sure you will lose synergy over a pure faction list, but there needs to be some trade off.

Once I have 2k of Ironjawz painted, I will look to do up 30 Savage Orruks just to get the battleline tax done and then I can add whatever I like.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I think we work very well as a mixed "Destruction" army. Some very solid options in generic battleline and units from the various factions available to cover most needs. Sure you will lose synergy over a pure faction list, but there needs to be some trade off.

Once I have 2k of Ironjawz painted, I will look to do up 30 Savage Orruks just to get the battleline tax done and then I can add whatever I like.

Exactly! I have my Gutbusters and Beastclaw Raiders (my old WHFB army) and now I've got my Ironjawz army. I can run mixed using my Gutbusters Ogors and it's great, though I'll be adding some savage Orruks, because a Bonesplittaz army seems too hilarious to avoid for long.

Archived