Tournament ettiquette

14 hours ago, MOMUS said:

5. If you play Terry Pike give him ******.

1 hour ago, Terry Pike said:

Don't be salty because I tabled you at a tournament in Bristol on your birthday :P

I heard on Vince Venturella's WHWeekly show someone had a few too many Jagers, how did that work out for you Terry? Can you feel your face now!? xD

Well I'm running a weak fluffy list as that's what I've been learning to play AOS with and it's all I have time to learn/prepare. So I won't be giving anyone any ******, and will likely get tabled.

I will probably have to bend over the table and politely take down my trousers and assume the position.

I will ask though " are you going to at least kiss me after you've ****&^ me?" , what with etiquette being a thing and all ;)  Then I will offer each opponent a commemerative badge of the occasion before finally gargling something to remove the taste. Better bring the Kool-aid...

Just a couple of quick comments from an old guy   :).

WYSIWYG, all day long, for both you and your opponent.

KISS  (your army, not your opponent).   Tournaments can be exhausting, a simple army makes for easier play; consider limiting the variety of warscrolls.  Less reference, less forgetting synergies.

FWIW  

5 hours ago, pforson said:

Sure, but don't forget that some people go to a tourny because it's their only chance of getting a game. It doesn't always have to mean competitive.

I understand that, I do, but it always sticks in my craw a bit - this idea that a competition (which a tournament is, by definition) is not always competitive.

You're right. It's not always, but it should be. If you are opting to go to a tournament, even if it's your only gaming for the year, you still ought to recognize that it is indeed a competition and act accordingly.  This is eespecially true since the results of your individual games affect the overall outcome for all the orher players as well.

Just respect the nature of the event, I suppose is what I'm saying.

Don't enter a chili cook-off and expect it to be ok to enter a steak in the contest just because it's your only chance to cook steaks that year.

Don't want to compete? Then don't participate in a competition.

13 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I will use slight disagreement with that idea to help the OP with another aspect of his topic.

For me, if I get the sense that my opponent has "let" me do anything, or taken it easy on me in any way, it severely diminishes my enjoyment of the game.  I don't mind taking a good solid beating.  I learn from it.  If my opponent stops "teaching" me in the game, my lessons are lessened.  Also, even if my opponent does not mean to come across this way, when her or she goes easy on me, it makes me think that they think I am not a good player and that they don't even have to try hard to beat me.

To put it another way, and this is the big thing - Sometimes when you think you are being nice to your opponent, it's actually having the opposite effect. Give him a game.  Go for the most convincing outcome you can get.  It's a tournament after all, and that word has meaning.

We'll disagree on this one ;) but I don't think we're too far off, actually, maybe just wording.

Two examples: 

1. I don't care for competitive 40K but fantasy, sure. Game 1, usually separate those playing hard to win then mid ground and rest of us who know we won't be winning any top prize so we just have fun.

2. Usually I'm the one with ****** luck but face in game 5 an army with a cool hero opponent painted and on 3+ he gets to do this awesome power and challenge a hero. He hasn't made it in games 1-4. Finally in 5 he does, i'll toss a unit that way, accept the challenge and that makes us both happy.  Stuff like that. It's not condescending in the least, it's sportsmanship and fun.

I'll answer from experience for local tournament. But I haven't been to any large tournament so it can be different.

If your opponent asks you to tell him or show him your list, asking to see your list before the game, are you inclined to show him and how far into it do you go? Do you usually exhange lists before the game and point out which heroes carry which items etc, or do you keep it as secret as possible?

In every tournament, it is mandatory to show the list, at least to the judge. About the item they carry, it depends on whether tournament require you to disclose or not. In 8th ed the rule says you can keep secret and it's a lot of fun revealing them mid-game (and guess what your opponent bring).

Do you explain all the subtle synergies, points values and formations in your list, saying, if you kill this guy, my whole army crumbles, so go for his guy, or kill this guy he's worth 500 points? How do you draw a line between showing them what you have and hiding your weaknesses / shrouding your tactics?

I would rather keep my mouth shut, except only when I want to taunt or bluff the opponent.

Do you ever ask / or answer when asked what the ranges are of your shooting units?

Questions like this should be clear to ask and answer without hesitation.

If you get 2.5 hours to play a 2k game , do you try and arrive at the table early to begin deployment? Or does that time include set up? Do you deploy before the buzzer starts to make the most out of your game time?

Being early is a manner. Aside from this, it is up to tournament rule pack.

Is it best to arrive with your units already on a tray all ready to go down quickly?

Yes. Why not? It will save both your time and your opponent time.

Counting out dice, what are your favorite methods for speedily counting out large amounts of dice and keeping track of rolling?

If I'm to roll dice in large number, I'll separate to sets like 10 dice. And remember the number of rolling. Mostly, the opponent is fair enough to help remembering (and correct you if you made mistake).

When you play , do you explain every little rule that is in place in detail, thus giving away some of its subtleties or weaknesses, or can you just say, I hit this guy on a 5+ because *insert ability here*

The latter is preferable. If opponent has question then just show him/her the rule.

If the opponent asks to read your armies' Warscrolls from your books, because he doesn't have a copy of them of his own, is that ok or bad form?

It is perfectly ok. Many will have both side of warscrolls ready in the app (Include in My Battle section) though, because you will definitely want to check your opponent's army ability when you play, right?

Do you ever have a 5 minute break before the start of turns? I find a get 'brain drain' if I concentrate too hard for long periods of time without a break. Would that annoy an opponent if say, I went and got a glass of water or a restroom break?

It is again up to that tournament rule.

If your opponent doesn't know the rules or what he's doing, do you bother to coach him or just try to table him?

I would coach him. To make the game goes smoothly.

On 25 August 2016 at 9:24 PM, James McPherson said:

Only reason I ask is because I played a game recently where I arrived second on a table at whw / seeds of hope and there was only one realmgate on the table and it was placed suspiciously right off on the far corner of the board on my opponents side of the table, within 2 or 3 inches of the corner almost flush against the table edge. He was running gunline, I had a mobile combat army.

Not saying he moved it , maybe the players before our game decided to move it out of the way or something, but it would have made a big difference to the game in my favor and can't believe a TO would place it there in such a one sided/funky place.

At the start of the game I thought nothing of it and didn't notice it , but began to be aware of it mid game, so was too late to mention.

Hope that wasn't the game with my Wanderers. I thought we discussed the terrain before the game started?

2 hours ago, Penddraig said:

Hope that wasn't the game with my Wanderers. I thought we discussed the terrain before the game started?

Nah it wasn't you Darren! TBH I don't think the other guy moved it, I think maybe the previous players were like , nah we don't need that, and put it off to one side in the corner of the table, and it just got left there and forgotten about.

Archived