3D print stardrake and other celestial stuff

jeanfluflu

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Really liking your sculpting of that dragon! You've nailed  a very imposing and animated pose!

You're going to need a My Mini Factory store someday

Hey thanks a lot!

building and sculpting one dragon every 10month will not bring me very far but why not :D.

One dragon and a few ork mounts and I'd note that there's very few (that I've seen) mounts which are compatible with GW models themselves (indeed there's a lot of generic fantasy mounts that aren't really compatible with anything or which are only compatible with their sculpted rider). 

But yeah even if its just a few here and there I'd say its worth it to share your talent and what you've made with the world and make a bit from it :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 6:40 PM, Overread said:

Oh just one thought though if you do make it for sale - I can't quite see the hammer design you've gone for but you might consider removing it or making it very unique so that its not "sigmar" style. Just to avoid copyright issues. 

yeah i'll probably remove it entirely, when i printed it the object was too thin and it broke too easily (and also the dracothian front armor works perfectly on this lad).

thanks for the tips though :)

Also here's a bit of progress on this sculpt.

I've printed the front legs, back legs and the head and glued them together (but i made some mistakes on the little pieces of resin that helped me to assemble the pieces together, they don't fit and thus i had to remove them).

Aucune description disponible.

Also the beast is huge, here's some example next to the leviadon

and close to a poor repentia 

I have lots of work to do on the base as well, this is too large for my printer so i had to separate the rocks into smaller pieces but ended up with rocks that don't fit together as well and will probably recquire some sculpting job with milliput or something.

I'll amke those changes in 3D and hope to print something better that could fit nicely, it will save me tons of work and hopefully make everything more solid (and it has to be, the thing already weight something like 1kg)

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 1 month later...

The dragon is completely printed my Friends!

I've started the painting this weekend, here'e how it looks so far:

And with the wings glued and undercoated:

I've put a generous amount of leaves to fit with the rest of my autumn army, i hope in the end the result will be coherent but i'm already pretty p'ourd of the result.

His face and colors matches the golden and blue "hammer of sigmar" painting that i've done already and he's progressing pretty fast (i'm not putting too much attention to details so far, i'm mainly focused on colors and transitions right now).

have a great day everyone!

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

Wow, just wow! I love your dragon and would love to print and paint it myself. Your paintjob looks pretty good as well so far (although I am biased because I love blue..)

I think it would look awesome next to my stardrake, dracoths and the upcoming drake cavalry and the new big dragons by GW.

Without wanting to be impatient, are you still planning to upload it to gumroad? I think, when I'll ever get to print it, I would attach my old Lord Celestant to the base of this majestic creature and give it a paintjob overhaul as it was one of my first Stormcast minis and would pale in comparison to your dragon, Jeanfluflu.

Best wishes,

42 minutes ago, Kaleydoscope said:

Wow, just wow! I love your dragon and would love to print and paint it myself. Your paintjob looks pretty good as well so far (although I am biased because I love blue..)

I think it would look awesome next to my stardrake, dracoths and the upcoming drake cavalry and the new big dragons by GW.

Without wanting to be impatient, are you still planning to upload it to gumroad? I think, when I'll ever get to print it, I would attach my old Lord Celestant to the base of this majestic creature and give it a paintjob overhaul as it was one of my first Stormcast minis and would pale in comparison to your dragon, Jeanfluflu.

Best wishes,

Thanks a lot.

I don't think i'll put it on my gumroad.
I got some printing issues with the pieces and it required a lot of cutting, milliput and patience to make everything fit together.
The wings were a nightmare to glue and there's no support pieces, they are just "fitted" to the side of the beast like this.

I did a lot of mistakes, mistakes that are not impossible to fix but they would make people quite angry if they themselves decided to buy it and print it.

If you want the parts i can send them to you in private message though :).

10 hours ago, jeanfluflu said:

Thanks a lot.

I don't think i'll put it on my gumroad.
I got some printing issues with the pieces and it required a lot of cutting, milliput and patience to make everything fit together.
The wings were a nightmare to glue and there's no support pieces, they are just "fitted" to the side of the beast like this.

I did a lot of mistakes, mistakes that are not impossible to fix but they would make people quite angry if they themselves decided to buy it and print it.

If you want the parts i can send them to you in private message though :).

I would love your dragon files, if you'll share them with me. Looks great!!

10 hours ago, hot_boy_ronald said:

I would love your dragon files, if you'll share them with me. Looks great!!

You can find the files following this link:
https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20210816XPPTNEFp

Just a little disclaimer, some part requires a good load of work to make them fit together properly, some pieces needs to be cut a little bit and other parts would also need some additional sculpting job to fit to the model (the transition between wings and main body for example was a huge mess to make).

Have a great day!

3 hours ago, jeanfluflu said:

You can find the files following this link:
https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20210816XPPTNEFp

Just a little disclaimer, some part requires a good load of work to make them fit together properly, some pieces needs to be cut a little bit and other parts would also need some additional sculpting job to fit to the model (the transition between wings and main body for example was a huge mess to make).

Have a great day!

It's utterly fantastic that you're willing to give away your dragon files - however you've uploaded the cbt files. Which makes them near useless for anyone using a different resin/printer to yourself. Pre-sliced files just don't work for others using different systems - eg you've got your exposure time set to 10seconds per layer which suggests you're using an RGB screen, so anyone on a monoscreen using 2-3 second exposures is going to be very overexposed. 

Much easier to upload the files as either STL or 3MF (lychee now supports 3mf and 3mf offers smaller file sizes by far and better data storage in terms of curved shapes over STL, though STL is still the current standard). Then people can adjust the printer and exposure settings as required. 

I'd also recommend uploading either the basic parts or if you want to provide pre-supports then upload as a lychee save or a chitubox project save. That way the supports and model are separate entities - which means people can adjust the supports as required. Since sometimes different resins and printers can require slight adjustments to help things print well. Eg anyone using Zmud resin will likely need to add more light supports to help it print; meanwhile some printers exert more pull force on parts than others so sometimes require slightly thicker tips in key anchoring positions to increase the hold. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Overread said:

It's utterly fantastic that you're willing to give away your dragon files - however you've uploaded the cbt files. Which makes them near useless for anyone using a different resin/printer to yourself. Pre-sliced files just don't work for others using different systems - eg you've got your exposure time set to 10seconds per layer which suggests you're using an RGB screen, so anyone on a monoscreen using 2-3 second exposures is going to be very overexposed. 

Much easier to upload the files as either STL or 3MF (lychee now supports 3mf and 3mf offers smaller file sizes by far and better data storage in terms of curved shapes over STL, though STL is still the current standard). Then people can adjust the printer and exposure settings as required. 

I'd also recommend uploading either the basic parts or if you want to provide pre-supports then upload as a lychee save or a chitubox project save. That way the supports and model are separate entities - which means people can adjust the supports as required. Since sometimes different resins and printers can require slight adjustments to help things print well. Eg anyone using Zmud resin will likely need to add more light supports to help it print; meanwhile some printers exert more pull force on parts than others so sometimes require slightly thicker tips in key anchoring positions to increase the hold. 

Thanks a lot for the very precise message, it was easier for me to get the CBT files since i have them all ready on a folder in my computer but i will find the STL (or OBJ files in my case) available for people once i have some free time.

IT's really helpful, if i decide some day to clean the Zbrush model in order to sell it properly i'll use your recommendations (using the chitubox file...etc).

No problem :)

In general basic STL/3MF are the best to provide as they are basically just the models with no supports or anything, they can thus be used with any slicer software or for any printer. Chitibox Project saves and Lychee files are specific to those software options - though those two types at least keep supports and model separate (the user can open them up, remove supports and save as an stl to then edit in another slicer).

Overread is right, sorry for forgetting to mention this in my private message. The 3mf files really would be best but since beggars should not be choosers I simply was so thankful for the files that I did not inquire any further XD These files would also be helpful to print the stairs/base on a fdm printer. One of the two stones "pierres" alone would take 127g of resin.

I can recommend Lychee slicer for supports since I use it for both the Photon mono and Elegoo Mars and it produced way better functioning supports (for me) which also do not harm the printed surface that much. I already printed the right wing so far, currently working on the head and tail. Shall I post my results (pictures) later in the week?

Thank you again, Jeanfluflu! :)

Edited by Kaleydoscope

• 3 weeks later...