The Age of the Bristling Beard!

On 4/4/2020 at 3:44 AM, King Under the Mountain said:

Finally a thread of our own. 

So with the hopefully more traditional Dwarf army for AoS coming sometime what kind of units do you imagine would be in it?  You can think out of the box (Cow Mountains).

I hope for a Grungi center piece and Golems at the very least.

I definitely think Golems are going to be a 'thing' considering they're mentioned as living in Chamon in the Kharadron Battletome I believe? Or at least, they were hanging out there when Grungi built his turf up. That to me implies there's more to them than just rune-powered automata like most people wanted/predicted, perhaps something akin to the Iron Dwarves in WoW. Now whether that means it's going to be an Ossiarch-esq situation where Dispossessed are hanging out in the background and these are essentially the replacement for traditional Dawi in the same way Ossiarchs will no doubt cannibalise any kind of skeleton model going forward... we shall see.

I do think GW seem more conscious that a very sizeable portion of AoS' potential playerbase prefer traditional designs, thus things like the new Chaos Warriors, Cities of Sigmar and the basic Lumineth units.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

43 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I definitely think Golems are going to be a 'thing' considering they're mentioned as living in Chamon in the Kharadron Battletome I believe? Or at least, they were hanging out there when Grungi built his turf up. That to me implies there's more to them than just rune-powered automata like most people wanted/predicted, perhaps something akin to the Iron Dwarves in WoW. Now whether that means it's going to be an Ossiarch-esq situation where Dispossessed are hanging out in the background and these are essentially the replacement for traditional Dawi in the same way Ossiarchs will no doubt cannibalise any kind of skeleton model going forward... we shall see.

I do think GW seem more conscious that a very sizeable portion of AoS' potential playerbase prefer traditional designs, thus things like the new Chaos Warriors, Cities of Sigmar and the basic Lumineth units.

Agreed for the second part.  I think AoS works best with a balance of "High Fantasy" zaniness and more traditional designs.

Although I would never be caught dead playing Elgi (and also don't tell the angry people in the Rumor thread) but i think Lumineth hits a pretty good balance of Traditional High Elves and AoSness. 

If they move forward with that mentality for a Traditional Dwarf army I will be a very pleased Longbeard indeed.   

• Like 1

It is shocking that AoS has a unit of Chaos thugs named after Golems, but no models for Golems themselves. Shocking I say!

Its like the sinking feeling when you try to search for some mythical creature like salamanders or chimera, and have to wade through pages upon pages of Space Marines or tanks before you get to the actual monster those things are named after!

2 hours ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Although I would never be caught dead playing Elgi (and also don't tell the angry people in the Rumor thread) but i think Lumineth hits a pretty good balance of Traditional High Elves and AoSness. 

In fairness, I thought the initial Lumineth reaction was all around very positive. If anything, there was more griping from those who wanted them more uniquely AoS and not as strong on the High Elf aesthetic. That then appeared to go in  reverse after the latest reveals. They at least appear to be striking a balance with your basic building blocks with quite subdued designs and sparing the OTT 'WOW LOOK AT THE HELLA EPIC DANGLY/SPIKY BITS BRO WWOOAAHH' on the larger centrepiece models.

Elf Hammerers though? I don't care how good (or not) they look, that's a Grudge right there.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

You know what i always wonder, why is it that dwarves never had a cavalry option? Boars, rams, something that would increase our movement. I am not sure why we always are looked at as slow when this is a game that is MADE UP!! 

Sorry for the rant, I just want a damn dwarf Lord on a Boar, like LOTR's.

20 minutes ago, DarkBeardRising said:

You know what i always wonder, why is it that dwarves never had a cavalry option? Boars, rams, something that would increase our movement. I am not sure why we always are looked at as slow when this is a game that is MADE UP!! 

Sorry for the rant, I just want a damn dwarf Lord on a Boar, like LOTR's.

I have a better idea. Duardin Lord on a Wolf Chariot. I was thinking about converting Logan Grimnar's sledge. Boars ar for Greenskinz.

Edited by michu
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TheR00zle said:

Hey guys a quick question. 
I have this conversion planned for an avatar of Hashut(I know we’re supposed to be regular dwarfs but still), and I want to use Gotrek as a base, how should I go about this challenge?

By dyeing your hair orange and taking the Slayer Oath for such heresy ;) 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

Hey guys a quick question. 
I have this conversion planned for an avatar of Hashut(I know we’re supposed to be regular dwarfs but still), and I want to use Gotrek as a base, how should I go about this challenge?

First of all remove the Slayer Crest, and replace it with the most elaborate hat you can find. Ironically I'd actually recommend waiting until the Elves with the giant bull headed helmets come out and seeing if you can co-opt one of those! If Dawi Zharr kept Books of Grudges then the fact that the elves with giant warhammers are walking around with icons of our Chaos God on their head would be right up there with the fact that the Beasts of Chaos got the massive metal bull that's on fire endless spell!

Then again, maybe the fact that the Elves are walking around with icons of our Chaos God on their head is actually all part of the plan, and shows that they are slowly being corrupted from within despite, or perhaps because of, their supposed enlightenment. Who knows? (Apart from the Father of Darkness obviously...)

Secondly he needs back banners! It used to be possible to source second hand ones fairly cheaply, but I've not tried for a while, so don't know if that it still true. If not then it shouldn't be too hard to make some.

He then needs to be standing on something other than a pile of skaven, Maybe flames, maybe bodies of a different sort, perhaps the back of one of those giant flaming bulls the Beasts of Chaos got! So long as its on fire Hashut should approve.

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

First of all remove the Slayer Crest, and replace it with the most elaborate hat you can find. Ironically I'd actually recommend waiting until the Elves with the giant bull headed helmets come out and seeing if you can co-opt one of those! If Dawi Zharr kept Books of Grudges then the fact that the elves with giant warhammers are walking around with icons of our Chaos God on their head would be right up there with the fact that the Beasts of Chaos got the massive metal bull that's on fire endless spell!

Then again, maybe the fact that the Elves are walking around with icons of our Chaos God on their head is actually all part of the plan, and shows that they are slowly being corrupted from within despite, or perhaps because of, their supposed enlightenment. Who knows? (Apart from the Father of Darkness obviously...)

Secondly he needs back banners! It used to be possible to source second hand ones fairly cheaply, but I've not tried for a while, so don't know if that it still true. If not then it shouldn't be too hard to make some.

He then needs to be standing on something other than a pile of skaven, Maybe flames, maybe bodies of a different sort, perhaps the back of one of those giant flaming bulls the Beasts of Chaos got! So long as its on fire Hashut should approve.

I was planning on using thousand sons bits for the conversion, as it ties into my ongoing chaos kharadron fleet:

I was planning on making him stand on either a giant treasure chest or a dead Tzaangor, showing Hashut triumphing over one of the major powers.

Please don’t mention the cow elves, it’s taking all my will power to avoid buying and converting them as my next army.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I'd say goats. They have beards.

Lol, very true! With huge horns and armor. GW, needs to make this happen.

Capture.PNG.fce6a1cbdb29a3783e2c502f316aecc3.PNG

874962931_Capture2.PNG.4b2811f167d54a073645cb44f3f12467.PNG

This is what I am talking about. i would do different weapons but its a start. You might need to green stuff a little beard for it but that isnt that hard.

Edited by DarkBeardRising

14 minutes ago, DarkBeardRising said:

Do you know if LOTR's scale is similar to AOS?

LotR is a largish 25 mm scale, so is much smaller than modern warhammer which is officially "heroic 28mm" but in practice is more like 32 mm in many cases. Warhammer is also a lot more "cartoony" with very exagerated proportions, while LotR is made to be a close match to the look of the films. Some bits can work if used cleverly, but  they are deliberately distinct.