Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

I agree here, Balewind Vortex is probably the best endless spell for Stormcast. Getting a second cast and adding some range is clutch. Plus, if you take Relictor you can teleport the wizard on Balewind and most of our heroes go to a 2+ save on it.

Yeah it's great, although personally I am testing a different (more expensive) option: ally in a Spellweaver and keep the exorcist. So the exorcist can be deployed outside unbind range and you maximize the chance of the R1 comet -with only one wizard and balewind you have four potential "obstacles" (casting roll for the vortex, unbind, casting roll for the comet, unbind)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Yeah it's great, although personally I am testing a different (more expensive) option: ally in a Spellweaver and keep the exorcist. So the exorcist can be deployed outside unbind range and you maximize the chance of the R1 comet -with only one wizard and balewind you have four potential "obstacles" (casting roll for the vortex, unbind, casting roll for the comet, unbind)

Well I like to mitigate one of those with double Stardrake bonuses :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

Too bad thats the vortex doesnt solve my problem. I want to cast comet and celestial blades in the same turn.

Well you can in the same turn, just not turn 1 :P

JK. You'd have to take Arcanum on Tauralon to do that turn 1 with 1 model. Kinda sad thats the only two spell wizard.

3 hours ago, Nizrah said:

Too bad thats the vortex doesnt solve my problem. I want to cast comet and celestial blades in the same turn.

My latest list drops the templar for an added incantor to go with the exorcist, 6 hurricane raptors and 2x 3 Aetherwings. 

Just played once with it and won but I am not sure anything on the list bar the LCoSD and Castellant was telling. 

More testing needed! I did like 2 casters 

27 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

@Turragor How would you deal with Stonehorns?

How many are we talking about? :)

1 or 2 might be focused down with a defensive deployment. 

6 was relatively hopeless. Id prefer staunch defender over other options.  I tried an aggressive host and it didn't go well. Maybe the unkillable star drake with ignaxs scales can hold off a couple. 

Edited by Turragor

The thing is, multi-stonehorn lists aren't just an issue for SCE but for most of the armies out there right now. Even Tzeentch, Slaanesh or Daughters played a bit carelesly (depending on the scenario/list). Conflagration changehost is probably one of their few weaknesses.

I am also nearly 100% certain that the mawtribes players running 4 stonehorn Eurl/Jorlbad lists will soon realise that there is NO downside to ditching the battalion and mournfangs and taking 6 stonehorns. Let's look at how good they are:

• They're durable.
  • There are few scenarios that call for 6 objectives to be held. Each stonehorn counts as 10 and is very hard to shift.
  • They do anything from a lot of damage to a helluva lot of damage (depending on who they're hitting).
  • They can pick off support heroes like Starcast with blood vulture 2.0 (so good). They can use those and their beastrider crossbows to clear our ultra-chaff aetherwings.
  • They're a 6 drop list so often choose who goes first, they play for the eventual double turn and you're dead.
  • They gain movement bonuses out the wazoo. Reroll charges.
  • They gain +1 wound each and all hero mounts take traits in boulderhead.

Weaknesses for me are:

• Agendas/secondary objectives

I don't really want them "fixed". They are finally the fun monster mash build that BCR players had no luck with for years. If I hadn't invested in OBR I'd buy 4 more/paint 5 more to add to my small destruction collection.

You are right though that we need to find a way to deal with them - Aetherstrike has a better chance than starstrike I feel (spontaneously). Melee Stormcast has little chance.

Im into full into starcast now (how many tournaments i can win this shootcast xD) and now i diciding between this two list. Tough or killy Stardrake.

First: In this one i dont need cp cuz i dont have CA. Prime is less deadly (no rerolls, no extra attack) but Stardrake is super tough. 1+ sv and mortals shrug on 4+...

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Starfall

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 91

Second: In this one i have more CP and can get 6 attacks from Prime in turn two. Also stardrake with CV CA is deadly.

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
- General
- Stormbound Blade
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Exorcist (120)
- Spell: Celestial Blades

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Everblaze Comet (100)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

Very hard to decide 😜

11 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

Im into full into starcast now (how many tournaments i can win this shootcast xD) and now i diciding between this two list. Tough or killy Stardrake.

First: In this one i dont need cp cuz i dont have CA. Prime is less deadly (no rerolls, no extra attack) but Stardrake is super tough. 1+ sv and mortals shrug on 4+...

Leaders
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Trait: Staunch Defender
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Starfall

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1970 / 2000

Second: In this one i have more CP and can get 6 attacks from Prime in turn two. Also stardrake with CV CA is deadly.

- Stormhost: Celestial Vindicators

Leaders
- General
- Stormbound Blade
- Trait: Single-minded Fury
- Artefact: Stormrage Blade
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Ordinator (140)
Lord-Exorcist (120)
- Spell: Celestial Blades

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

War Machines
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)
Celestar Ballista (110)

Everblaze Comet (100)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1

Very hard to decide 😜

You actually do want to burn some cp in list one (which is similar to my favourite at the mo minus ballistae) - all out attack on prime is my favourite. 

You hit on 3s and wound on 2s so rr 1s to hit often gets you 3 hits you can use orrery if you have it to pretty much guarantee 3 saves needed. At - 3 it's pretty much 9 wounds off the bat. 

Except when you try on a Lord of change and they use destiny dice to auto save ignoring the modifiers :)

Basically I'm leaning towards saying starcast should always have staunch and play defence (albeit moving drakes forward just not charging that much). 

Aggressive hosts fit other list types better. In my experience which is a lot of defensive builds. So I welcome anyone trying aggressive starcast and providing win ratios, feedback etc

Edited by Turragor
  • Thanks 1

Found this thread motivating to try something new beyond my normal tried and tested selection. My local meta is changing as my opponent's have new armies so was looking to freshen it up.

Last night I faced off and beat an StD army, with had plenty of saves to negate mortal wounds. He wanted to play 1300pts (random I know) so I took the basic principle of what you've talked about and applied it  - though I don't own a Stardrake (yet).

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (220)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Ethereal Stalker Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Lightning Blast
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Chained Lightning

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Maul & Shield
- 3x Stormspite Greatmace
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Sequitors (130)

Other Units
Retributors (200)

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 1270 / 1300
Extra Command Points: 0

Man the Sequitors were blunted and more squishy when taken in 5's, but I figured the re-rolls to and/or save when make them more durable than liberators. But first time using Geminids and throwing MWs here, there and everywhere was fun between the three wizards and the Retributors.

We're about to go into a new 1500 league, so this was a test to see how the overriding principle of MW chipping worked. My first opponent is a Gloomspite player, likely fielding as a minimum a Loonboss on Manglersquig, Skragrott, 40 Stabbas, 10 loonsmasha fanatics, scuttletide, sneaky scufflers, a squig herd and possibly something else now the points cap has gone up from 1250 to 1500 for our games.

So, inspired by your lists, I was looking at either of the following - one that adopts the LCoSD, and one that expands on the above - have you tried Starcast at smaller points levels, what are your thoughts?

Expanded list:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (220)
- General
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Ethereal Stalker
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Knight-Vexillor (120)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Chained Lightning

Battleline
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Sequitors (130)
5 x Sequitors (130)

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Other Units
Retributors (200)

Total: 1490 / 1500

-------------------------------------

Stardrake list:

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Shardfist Pelt
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Knight-Vexillor (120)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Other Units
Skinks (70)

Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Total: 1500 / 1500

What do you think?

15 hours ago, Starfyre said:

Stardrake list:

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Artefact: Shardfist Pelt
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Knight-Vexillor (120)
Lord-Castellant (120)
Knight-Incantor (140)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Other Units
Skinks (70)

Purple Sun of Shyish (50)

Total: 1500 / 1500

I think this one is nearest the Starcast spirit (though I like the idea of including paladins chip damage in the mix - for when hand to hand combat starts :P):

I like double incantors. The purple sun and geminids give you an endless spell to cast without dispelling a comet (is the points cost for comet at 1500 what puts you off? I'd guesstimate that you might be right, especially when it eats up 1 cast). I do feel like the purple sun might be tough. It's a 6 " range then 9" move and that's v close. Your Drake won't like that if you win an initiative roll and decide to go first.

Which banner has the vexillor got? Meteoric?  I could make use of the meteoric standard option, instead of the Heraldor, in some lists hmm. It's a bit indiscriminate as its all units (but you'd use it r1) and it doesn't rely on being wholly within 18" of a terrain piece. Often I'd lose a heraldor being aggressive.

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I think this one is nearest the Starcast spirit (though I like the idea of including paladins chip damage in the mix - for when hand to hand combat starts :P):

I like double incantors. The purple sun and geminids give you an endless spell to cast without dispelling a comet (is the points cost for comet at 1500 what puts you off? I'd guesstimate that you might be right, especially when it eats up 1 cast). I do feel like the purple sun might be tough. It's a 6 " range then 9" move and that's v close. Your Drake won't like that if you win an initiative roll and decide to go first.

Which banner has the vexillor got? Meteoric?  I could make use of the meteoric standard option, instead of the Heraldor, in some lists hmm. It's a bit indiscriminate as its all units (but you'd use it r1) and it doesn't rely on being wholly within 18" of a terrain piece. Often I'd lose a heraldor being aggressive.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I know some prefer Evocators,  but I like retributors and decimators for melee - stormsoul maces are usually a reliable MW chip, and celestial vindicators trait with retributors can be good fun.

Yeah, it was the points cost that put me off, that and I hadn’t considered it was a bit more moveable than I realised if you use the scroll to dispel it. I can see the threat of it.

I also had fun with geminids, so kinda of wanted to keep them in.  Either the -1 hit or -1 attack would mess with the goblins heroes considerably. The range of purple sun is indeed a concern, but figured it may do more damage to the horde of stabbas than the comet?

Vexillor has the Pennant for movement shenanigans. But maybe not necessary and I could try a Heraldor, could be more versatile overall. 

Mildly concerned about the durability of the liberators and skinks in holding the objectives - but that’s because I’ve not played a list like this before and normally rely on an immovable wall of10 seqs with Staunch Castellant. Having the ability to reposition the drake to counter threats to the rest of my army seemed wise.

Edited by Starfyre

Heres some spontaneous but simple changes to that list.

Swap 1 incantor to an exorcist and drop the purple sun. Then take 10 More skinks.

Alternatively, drop the sun and the skinks and add the comet and play for a triumph.

I mean im a huge fan of trying ideas out on the board more than once. But I'm wary of the sun when you have a drake.

Endless edits in scrollbuilder prove nothing. One game proves nothing. Tbh playing each scenario once against every faction "proves" nothing, but the more you play your "own list" the better you get at knowing what works and doesn't without having to give up family and your job to play to find the best builds :D

It sounds like an old Buddhist teacher on a mountain but as with most things it's about finding your own way 😛

After succes of 2k list ( i came out Third cuz i didint have painted army and win all minors wins [we have slighty diffrent pointing, to get major you have to have bigger advantage than 1. Ussually about what points you can get in turn so fe. 5 or 8]).   3 - 0 for starcast!

Next tournamnet is lower points and i resised to provious roster to something like this:

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- General
- Storm Lance
- Trait: Shielded by Faith
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Chain Lightning
Celestant-Prime (340)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Everblaze Comet (100)
Emerald Lifeswarm (50)

Total: 1250 / 1250
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 49

What do you guys think? 

• LOVE IT! 1

Nice work! 

I like the list. Worth a play test. At1250 there isnt much you can do with your points!

I think the only trimming you can do is to drop the lifeswarm and knock the incantor down to an exorcist. Only 70 pts extra. Might give ally options (another caster to dispel the comet would be ideal). Or let you take juds instead of 1 unit of libs for instance. 

Anything else is a different list entirely. 

5 hours ago, Turragor said:

I forgot to ask which armies you met and won against? 

First battle: Sylwaneth (arrierl, drycha, treelord acient, archsomething, 3 kurtnoth with sword, lady thats summon driads and somethings...) Scorthed earth.

Syl. went first and i lost Stardrake to aliariel :c. Then i my turn i killed arariel and badly wounded drycha and summoned treelord. I dont remember mutch but Prime grabbed and burned 3 obj with his constant 24 TR :D

Second battle: Tzeentch changehost, total commitment

He started and droped 20 pinks on one of my obj. I menaged to kill all his heroes except fatemaster (so LoC, BS, Chang, Herald) on first turn. I still barely win. Its very hard to remove 20 pinks from obj :c

Third battle: Fyre 2x 20 HG Shifting obj.

Rather easy, drake eat 20 HB with rend weapon, mortals killed all heroes. Not a major cuz in last turn he win iniciative and obj shifted to where remants of his army were. Due to this i got only 4 points of advantage ( need 5 for major ).

Startcast is a blast to play :D Everything melts so fast 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awesome :)

Which of the 2k lists did you end up taking?

It's the purpose of this thread, it's a viable way to play SCE right now (imho) and depending on your matchups you'll do as well as Anvilstrike will.

That's been my experience in each tournament I went to last year (and 1 this year) that had my starcast and a handful of other SCE lists - majority Anvilstrike: I've the same results as the Anvilstrike players.

22nd Feb is the year's 2nd one day tournament locally.

I'll be taking Starcast again and I'm going to try basically my regular list with the extra 100 pts undecided:

Spoiler

Celestant-Prime (340)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Exorcist (120)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Wounds: 81

I've tried Heraldor and I'll admit, he's a great compliment but I'm leaning towards trying to get 2 casters here. And there are a lot of allied choices. I've a model I could proxy as either a CoS Battlemage (Hysh, Aqshy or Ghur being interesting realm spell choices) or a Wanderers Spellweaver - just for the dispell and the once per battle unbind a la Incantor.

There's also a few more interesting choices (but I would need to acquire and paint models probably as they don't fit my proxy's "style"):

Anointed - a dispell/unbind bot with a 4+ ward save (helps against the mirror match - or another opponent with a chip mechanic). Dark horse choice here.

Sorceress - Word of pain can give a swell -1 to hit

Ishrann Tidecaster - Same thing as sorceress but with a wound ignore mechanic like the Anointed (but much weaker)

Skink Starpriest - Starlight spell is like Tidecaster/Sorceress but damages only chaos. I think the range is best here (20")

I'm a bit undecided. I reckon the auto unbind is pretty top notch. And I want them to be a dispell bot but having a nice spell besides arcane bolt and mystic shield (I mean, mystic shield is kinda clutch on the templar - I could suddenly switch it up and give them the Warding Lantern and Mystic Shield) is a flexible thing.

Any thoughts?

28 minutes ago, Nizrah said:

- Tempest Axe ?

Wouldnt spear be better?

And for dispell i would upragde Exorcist to Incantor +20 pts and for 80 rest take Spellweaver. 2 Autounbind is powerfull thing.

Spell weaver is 100 I think. Also the axe has saved me many a time with the 2" pile in reduction 

Edit oh I can take incantor and the skink starseer (only 80 pt caster option I believe)! That might be nice. Before the new tome changes the points.

Edited by Turragor
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Spell weaver is 100 I think. Also the axe has saved me many a time with the 2" pile in reduction 

Edit oh I can take incantor and the skink starseer (only 80 pt caster option I believe)! That might be nice. Before the new tome changes the points.

About the last point, I would still go for Spellweaver + Exorcist, so you can (at least try, if you are going second) put the latter out of unbind range and increase the chances of the comet