Starcast - The Thread

Turragor

They're baseless lol, the list will still struggle enough against some gatekeeper lists that it'll never go more than 4 wins with Kroak at a big tournament. However, I do feel like Kroak's addition could push it up to a 4-1 list for me given the amount of experience I have now, that remains to be tested ofc.

I think that these accusations that double drake + kroak is going to be the new meta to be both baseless and foolish.

After all, its the triple stardrake + kroak you have to worry about:

Ex:

Drakesworn Templar
Drakesworn Templar
Drakesworn Templar
Lord-Castellent
Lord Kroak
    ally
5x Liberators
5x Liberators
5x Liberators

Comes out to 2k points exactly

Quick, buy your stardrakes now before they go out of stock :P

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, readercolin said:

I think that these accusations that double drake + kroak is going to be the new meta to be both baseless and foolish.

After all, its the triple stardrake + kroak you have to worry about:

Ex:

Drakesworn Templar
Drakesworn Templar
Drakesworn Templar
Lord-Castellent
Lord Kroak
    ally
5x Liberators
5x Liberators
5x Liberators

Comes out to 2k points exactly

Quick, buy your stardrakes now before they go out of stock :P

This list is a risky proposition! Draksworn aren't tanks like LCoSD, but one of them can be 3+ imperious to rend with the brooch or 4++ with Ignax. But the two others can be dealt with "easily" if you face a rend heavy army.
Kroak could give rr1 on one of them. Castellant shine his light (you can't heal with his ability cause you ain't got a 1+ [Staunch+ light].

Plus It's quite sad to take Kroak without endless spells

Edited by Maturin

5 hours ago, Maturin said:

This list is a risky proposition! Draksworn aren't tanks like LCoSD, but one of them can be 3+ imperious to rend with the brooch or 4++ with Ignax. But the two others can be dealt with "easily" if you face a rend heavy army.
Kroak could give rr1 on one of them. Castellant shine his light (you can't heal with his ability cause you ain't got a 1+ [Staunch+ light].

Plus It's quite sad to take Kroak without endless spells

Nothing about that list stated the stormhost, so you can easily get the 1+ save (staunch + light).  Keep the 3 drakes together and you can have 1 with a 1+ and 2 with 2+ saves.  The only advantage tank wise that the Celestant has is the "Sigmarite Thundershield" - aka, re-roll saves of 1.  This however can be replicated by Mystic Shield from Kroak, as well as by spending a command point for "All out Defense".  Yes, the Celestant can send mortal wounds back at nearby opponents when it re-rolls a failed save, and that is great when facing off against hordes of no-rend attacks.  However, looking at it from a pure tankiness aspect, each of the drakes can be just as tanky as the Celestant can.

As for Kroak's endless spells, he can only cast 1 endless spell a turn, and since he can't cast the comet, there aren't really any others that are good enough that won't really come back to bite you.  As it is, he can cast Comet's Call, mystic shield, and then still has space for Arcane Bolt and Celestial Deliverance.  Or for Celestial Deliverance, Celestial Deliverance, Celestial Deliverance and Comet's Call.  Your choice really...

That being said, if you really want an endless spell, you can downgrade Kroak to a Slaan Starmaster.  This loses you 1 spell/unbind, and loses you Celestial Deliverance.  But it does free up 60 points for an endless spell (or two if you go for cheap ones).  Is it worth it?  Ehhh.  You also lose 1 more 4+ to get a command point, and you lose the 4+ FNP as well.  If we could get 20 more points from somewhere else to be able to bring in the Celestant, I would probably say yes.  But trying to do that right now gets us to 2020 points, and you really don't want to cut the Castellent if you can avoid it, but he is the last point of "flex" space if you are running 3 drakes.

I like the idea of 3 drakes but I think for true impact, you're probably best stepping back and looking at where the points are freed up around that traditional starcast "core".

The thing that sticks out is the comet/SC caster absence. For me this always equates to "Celestant Prime" :D

Spoiler

Leaders
Lord Kroak (320)
- Allies
Celestant-Prime (340)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Celestine Hammer
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
Drakesworn Templar (420)
- Tempest Axe
Lord-Castellant (120)

Battleline
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 83

So where the Kroak, Incantor/Comet, Drake, Drake list has a focus on recycling the comet - later in the game (when battle is joined) you'll get less impact from that comet - if you can even find space to land it without laying wounds on your own guys. Your Incantor will be laying on Azyrite Halo instead.

In this list, the late game has more comet potential via the scepter (which lets you choose range to keep things safe). Or you might have a match where you don't think the comet chip damage will take off a key piece so you use the Prime as assassin (with many CP for all out attack and charge rerolls - delaying when you need to declare you're using Orrery of fates and thus increasing the chances of 1 extra 3 damage attack getting through).

Spontaneously I feel like the Prime's weakness means it's a more risky list. It'll require more finesse than the comet recycling variant.

1 hour ago, Turragor said:
  Hide contents

Spontaneously I feel like the Prime's weakness means it's a more risky list. It'll require more finesse than the comet recycling variant.

Actually, the Prime can survive a bit more if you can place him inside a terrain and cast mystic shield on him. It's very situational though, but I had mine survive thanks to that. Bonus points if you get charged when inside a terrain with staunch defender on.

lol mine is on the way (corona delayed no doubt)

oh really? I was expecting the delivery from GW (of lord Kroak, ofc) by the end of last week but still nothing in sight and I am already stressing that it got stolen (wouldn't be the first time, unfortunately :(). Maybe I can still hope if you are also experiencing delays...

3 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

oh really? I was expecting the delivery from GW (of lord Kroak, ofc) by the end of last week but still nothing in sight and I am already stressing that it got stolen (wouldn't be the first time, unfortunately :(). Maybe I can still hope if you are also experiencing delays...

Stolen ? Where do you live ? What service do you use ?

16 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Stolen ? Where do you live ? What service do you use ?

A small town in France, and the service is the normal delivery service of the post. It was marked as "delivered" by the post, so my conclusion is that it was stolen either from the post-box or "intercepted" at the moment of delivery. In any case, since the post says it was delivered, it is very hard to get a refund :(

edit: let's look at the bright side instead. The second Stardrake, courtesy of ebay, arrived safely :D

Edited by Marcvs

14 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

A small town in France, and the service is the normal delivery service of the post. It was marked as "delivered" by the post, so my conclusion is that it was stolen either from the post-box or "intercepted" at the moment of delivery. In any case, since the post says it was delivered, it is very hard to get a refund :(

edit: let's look at the bright side instead. The second Stardrake, courtesy of ebay, arrived safely :D

Ah la Poste. Never get something sent during holidays or stress intensive periods. That's when they hire temporary workers and the chances your items are gonna get missing increases. Whenever I can I always get stuff delivered to relay points. They can't cheat with those. Or you can be unlucky like me and have a stupid postman trying to shove an item that doesn't fit, into your mailbox, leading to your item not fully inside your mail box and thus anybody can take it!

Pics of a book I ordered from ebay which luckily wasn't stolen :

444884786_WhatsAppImage2020-03-19at11_36_25.jpeg.ce1716accf608a52449089221a77ab7c.jpeg

PS : Depending on the card you use you might get a refund from your bank ?

Edited by Maturin

5 minutes ago, Maturin said:

Whenever I can I always get stuff delivered to relay points. They can't cheat with those. 
PS : Depending on the card you use you might get a refund from your bank ?

Yeah, I do the same but in the present situation the idea of not leaving the building was also appealing. Oh well, worst case scenario I will eat up the loss and buy it again in better times, there's not a big chance I will need it to play any time soon. As for the rest, I will get in touch with GW by the end of this week and see what's the status of the delivery first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been flitting between armies, but it looks like Stormcast Eternals are going to be the one I spend some time getting ready for the table. I love the idea of these Starcast lists, and they match up with what I have (basically) after a trade and some buying of stuff I like the look of/want to paint and play. I don't have or really want Kroak, so here's my attempt at a list variant from the ones I've read about here.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Stormbound Blade
- Command Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
6 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (180)
- 2x Stormsurge Tridents
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 92

16 hours ago, XcaliburNick said:

I've been flitting between armies, but it looks like Stormcast Eternals are going to be the one I spend some time getting ready for the table. I love the idea of these Starcast lists, and they match up with what I have (basically) after a trade and some buying of stuff I like the look of/want to paint and play. I don't have or really want Kroak, so here's my attempt at a list variant from the ones I've read about here.

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Celestial Warbringers
Celestant-Prime (340)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
Lord-Castellant (120)
Lord-Celestant on Stardrake (500)
- General
- Stormbound Blade
- Mount Trait: Storm-winged
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
6 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (180)
- 2x Stormsurge Tridents
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260)
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 92

I like this - the 2 units you have in in place of drake 2 are neat - Javelin Prosecutors are an old love of mine and the Dracolines give you speed and dispell. The single 5 jud choice is interesting. I have no feedback on that - it's not good or bad at first glance.

One thing (or 3):

- Celestial Warbringers

and

Are not compatible. You'd never have the trait and you'd only be able to take ignax after a battalion (giving you 1 more artefact).

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Turragor said:

One thing (or 3):

- Celestial Warbringers

and

Are not compatible. You'd never have the trait and you'd only be able to take ignax after a battalion (giving you 1 more artefact).

Thank you! I blanked on that one. I forgot I had chosen a specific Stormhost from a previous example. I'm reasonably new to AoS, still getting used to army composition. If I don't choose a named Stormhost I can still select any trait/artifact correct?

15 minutes ago, XcaliburNick said:

Thank you! I blanked on that one. I forgot I had chosen a specific Stormhost from a previous example. I'm reasonably new to AoS, still getting used to army composition. If I don't choose a named Stormhost I can still select any trait/artifact correct?

Correct, generic Stormcast can choose freely

• Thanks 1

The single 5 jud choice is interesting. I have no feedback on that - it's not good or bad at first glance.

Thanks again for the help! There was a Starcast list that had 1x20 Sequitors and 2x5 Judicators, and I had 60pts kicking around when all of them were Liberators and to be honest I have ~10 Judicators so figured it would be interesting to chuck 5 in and see what they do :)