Fimir - The Thread

Shane

Now then.

Here be a thread to discuss Age of Sigmar's best army - Fimir.

Currently available are the Fimir Warriors via Forge World.

99550299055_Fimir01.jpg

Next:

The Fimirach Noble. This guy here is the leader for a unit of Fimir Warriors. So no special rule for him bar the typical +1 attack.

4.jpg

Incoming: 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Predicted:

• Fimir Warrior Command (Banner and Musician)
  • Fimirach Queen

The Fimir Warriors were a nightmare to put together. Not a user friendly kit at all. Green stuff and Guerilla glue was my only route to victory.

The Fimirach Noble is great but he's not exactly a good use of resource - you have to drop a model from the unit or else he'll cost an extra 120pts alone.

Rules wise the Warriors don't have much damage output for the size of their base. 2 damage an attack as standard would have felt more appropriate.

That's a weird thing FW does - they sell their commands separately instead of supplying extra pieces with the units. Seems like a silly waste of money for the consumer, as you end up with models that you can't use, according to some rules.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the Fimir/Fimirach! I am definitely starting an army of these. The models are ace. The mist shrouded mystical evil lore is really engaging. And while the Warriors' damage output isn't the best, they do have -2 rend which is excellent and pretty rare for standard troops. They are also very hard to kill - your opponent scores 6 wounds against your 3 warriors, you allocate 2 per warrior, they are back to full wounds your next hero phase and all your opponents efforts are undone! I would love some sort of book for these, if not a battletome, then a forge world compendium of all their AOS models. 

I think the fact there are only a few models out at the moment, with more definitely in the pipeline, is an excellent opportunity to slowly build up a Fimir army as a side project. Buy kits that are available to start, build and paint them, get on with your other projects and buy the newer kits as they are released. Spreads the cost too. Soon you'll have a Forgeworld Fimir Army that is the envy of your friends! I am going to pick up the Warriors and noble when I go to Warhammer World for my sons birthday in November. Can't wait!

29 minutes ago, Percivael said:

I think the fact there are only a few models out at the moment, with more definitely in the pipeline, is an excellent opportunity to slowly build up a Fimir army as a side project. Buy kits that are available to start, build and paint them, get on with your other projects and buy the newer kits as they are released. Spreads the cost too. Soon you'll have a Forgeworld Fimir Army that is the envy of your friends! I am going to pick up the Warriors and noble when I go to Warhammer World for my sons birthday in November. Can't wait!

I should point out the Fimir are for me. My son can have a start collecting box!

10 hours ago, Percivael said:

They are also very hard to kill - your opponent scores 6 wounds against your 3 warriors, you allocate 2 per warrior, they are back to full wounds your next hero phase and all your opponents efforts are undone!

Unfortunately this is not allowed in the rules of AoS. The rules and FAQs are very specific that wounds have to be applied to a model, and once a model has started taking wounds you have to keep allocating all subsequent wounds that units take, to the same model until it is dead, and only then can you allocate to a different model. Even if the attacks come from several different units and in different phases.

11 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

Unfortunately this is not allowed in the rules of AoS. The rules and FAQs are very specific that wounds have to be applied to a model, and once a model has started taking wounds you have to keep allocating all subsequent wounds that units take, to the same model until it is dead, and only then can you allocate to a different model. Even if the attacks come from several different units and in different phases.

Doh! Just read those pesky rules again. You are right of course! I have been playing it wrong. That's what happens when you only play one opponent, I suppose. Thanks for pointing that out.

The queen comment is just a prediction. I'm sure someone here spoke to the FW team and they explained their ideas for her.

I've been thinking more about the bases following this weekend's event. Whilst too big for their damage output, I can see a unit of 6 Warriors being not only cheap and resilient, but therefore also effective at holding an objective. Time will tell.

And if the event is anything to go by, added protection from mass shooting is a big plus.  

On the topic of bases, mine came packed with 50mm rounds so I suppose that is the 'official' size.  Because the warriors are large but fairly squat miniatures, they do seem a bit small for that base though.  For consistency I was keen to try and base all my monstrous infantry on 50mms anyway and have done so, but has anyone tried 40mm?

I used the bases they came with (50mm). I have another pack of Warriors to build at home but it's not a nice kit to work with. Will get around to them soon. 

Need to consider converting two of them to a command group (musician/standard).

Agreed, this was actually my first resin kit...  My hiatus skipped that phase of GW completely.   Would be keen to see how you got on with the conversion if you do it.  

Two units of 3 for battleline or unit of 6?  Either way, there's a remaining model once you add the noble :(.  Three nobles for 3 units of 3?  Then no leftovers.

Yes, that was my criticism of FW's division of the models. Until they release a command unit (which is two models), buying the noble either wastes money or points.

They should have made that noble an actual hero. Can't think of another unit getting a unique model for its leader that is purchased separately.

Maybe he will get his own warscroll as a hero? And they'll update the existing one to change the name of the unit champion?  

The following minis are what have me so keen on a fimir force.  How do you reckon I'll be able to wrangle them into my army? :P   Painted when I was in the single digits many years ago!

painting - hqfimir.jpg

Archived