Help a noob finish his non competitive list made out of only his painted models

pseudonyme

Dear fellow wargamers,

I am a French dude who has entered the second half of his life (maybe his last third) and who has only 6 games of AoS under his belt, and I need you help because I am going to Bloodshed in the Shire in late October.

Very important disclaimer: I am not going there to win, I don’t have an optimised list because I more or less don’t care and don’t want to paint 30000 times the same models. So basically, the core motivation behind the following list is the rule of cool. And I don’t plan to buy anything as of today for that tournament.

So here are my couple of questions:

1. Should I take my Wight king with baleful tomb blade because I love the sculpt and am pretty proud of my paint job, or the Guardian of souls who would be useful for supporting my chainrasps and be an additional wizard?
  2. Should I take 2*5 or 1*10 Black knights?
  3. Should I take 2*3 or 1*6 Spirit hosts ?
  4. Which endless should I take to complete and go to 2000 points?

Thanks in advance people 

AllegianceGrand Host of Nagash

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders (850 / 870)

• Vampire Lord (140)
  • Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (340)
  • Spirit Torment (120)
  • Necromancer (130)
  • Option
  1. Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
  2. Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140)

Battleline  (380)

• 20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)
  • 10 x Grave Guard with Great Wight Blades (140)
  • 10 x Skeleton Warriors  with Ancient spears (80)

Units (680)

• 5 x Black Knights (120)
  • 5 x Black Knights (120)
  • 2 x Morghast Harbingers  with Spirit halberds (200)
  • 3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
  • 3 x Spirit Hosts (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain (50)

• Purple Sun of Shyish (50)
  • option
  1. Soulsnare Shackles (40) (if Wight king)
  2. Malevolent Maelstrom (10) (if Guardian of souls)
  3. Suffocating gravetide (20) (if Guardian of souls)

Total: 1960/1980 

Extra Command Points: 0

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 117

Edited by pseudonyme
  • Haha 1

The Wight King with Axe is a pretty model, but Wight King with blade on Horse is still a better option -more attacks and movility.

I think 1x10 Black Knights are better than 2x5, because if you want to get objectives with a quick unit, use Dire Wolves. They cost 70 points and they move 10", so you have 2x5 Dire Wolves for 140 points instead of 2x5 Black Knights for 240 points. You get 100 free points to expend in other units.

Greetings

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ACBelMutie said:

The Wight King with Axe is a pretty model, but Wight King with blade on Horse is still a better option -more attacks and movility.

I think 1x10 Black Knights are better than 2x5, because if you want to get objectives with a quick unit, use Dire Wolves. They cost 70 points and they move 10", so you have 2x5 Dire Wolves for 140 points instead of 2x5 Black Knights for 240 points. You get 100 free points to expend in other units.

Greetings

Thanks, but I am not planning to buy and paint models that I don’t have right now 😅

So no Wightking on steed nor Dire wolves.

hi there

im the equivalent to the kid with the propeller hat here. saw this on a whim and just thought I'd throw in my two cents. you have every right to take what I say with a grain of salt though.

firstly regarding leaders; for your army, I would probably take the guardian of souls. having an extra spellcaster in your army is never a bad thing and with Arkhan as your general I think it's a fairly clear choice. i love the wight king to bits but it just doesn't cut it in this army especially when it's not mounted.

for cavalry; I like what ACBelMutie is saying about the dire wolves and im actually going to consider that as I build my list but it is understandable that you don't want to invest another 60$ in your army. if you're sticking with the black knights then maybe keep them in two separate pods. you don't really need another big bruiser and this will give you two chances to rush an objective or the means to hit two objectives at once. I would also consider mashing the spirit host's together though. just to give that unit some extra stopping power.

im going to be perfectly honest, I have very little(and by very little I mean I read one article on the warhammer community site)  experience with endless spells. your really on your own there but hopefully having a clear idea on who your leader will be will help you out with that decision.

i hope it goes well regardless of how you do it weather you take our advice or not.

and keep me posted. i'd be interested to see how this works out for you.

:)

• Thanks 1

Personal take would be run the larger units.  It'll drop your pretty high 13-drop army down to 11-drop, that could make the difference between getting priority on the first turn.  You'll also find the black knights will be able to charge into melee, take some damage, retreat, heal up and then rinse and repeat.  Killing a unit of 5 is pretty easy.

A Guardian of Souls has a lot more longevity than the Wight King - faster, ethereal, spell caster and buffs your Spirit Hosts, Chainrasp and Spirit Torment.  Wight King has one short ranged Deathly Invocation and a middling command ability.

Endless Spell wise I'd likely veer towards the gravetide.  For a wizard heavy list, the Maelstrom could be more damaging to you than your opponent.

Thanks @recoilia and @RuneBrush,

My initial intuition was to run 2*5 black knights for board control (and I had a pretty good experience of 5 of them vaporizing a unit of 10 unbuffed witchelves). Also I really had no idea about the Spirit hosts.

So this saturday, will be my 1st 2k game (I only played 1.5k game until now), and will try the 1*10 Black knights and 1*6 Spîrit hosts.

I agree on the Guardian of souls, it is just a pity as I bloody love the Wight king sculpt and my paintjob :)

My only problem with the @Gravetide @RuneBrush, is that it's not yet painted 😅 So it will depend if I can paint my 2 Morghasts, finish my Necromancer and my black knights in the upcoming 3 weeks (which is feasible).

Wish me luck and thanks again mates!

• Like 1